PDA

View Full Version : A winter Wonderland.

piece-itpete
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Here on Ohio's 'North Coast' we are enjoying the lake. Everyone nearby. Because of wonderful lake effect snow!

I've had the joy of brushing Lake Erie off my car at least ten times the last couple days in as beautiful as 10 degrees. And the sheer pleasure of leaving early for work and still being 25 minutes late, when I live 20 minutes away, well folks, it just doesn't get any better.

A speaking of better, we've got at least 7 more days of joy ahead. Shoveling all this joy is going to kill me.

Good thing I planned on a happy time and have studded snows!

Pete

noonereal
01-04-2010, 02:48 PM
That sounds awesome. Believe it or not I always wanted to live in the Lake effect snow region.

Pics please! :)

piece-itpete
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
It usually is pretty nice. Because it usually falls to the east of us :)

Seriously I don't mind mostly, but whoa we are in for a long stretch of it.

It doesn't look like much on the radar, but those bands don't move until the wind does which can be a while:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/map/interactive/44139?from=36hr_maps&zoom=8&interactiveMapLayer=radar&animation=true

I'll try to get some decent pics of my backyard tonight (I'm on the fringe of it).

Maybe I'll get in touch with my inner child and go bumper riding :)

Pete

Grumpy
01-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Its all bush's fault Pete. Don't you know that by now ?

Charles
01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Its all bush's fault Pete. Don't you know that by now ?

Now you can't pin this one of Bush...everybody knows Karl Rove is the one with the weather machine.

And the only reason he's doing this is to discredit Owl Gore. If you want to find out what he's up to, just turn to the op ed page of the Weekly Standard, circle every third letter, and then hold it up to a mirror so that you can read it backwards. That's where I get my marching orders from the VRWC.

Rove has determined to punish the Blue States with snow this year. But he has also determined to punish us poor Missourians with single digit temperatures...must be for sending Claire McCaskill to the Senate.

I suppose the rain falls on the just and the unjust equally.

Chas

merrylander
01-05-2010, 07:30 AM
We were told snow yesterday, none fell but it has been bloody cold of late.

BlueStreak
01-05-2010, 08:30 AM
No snow here in the swamp, but low 30s high 20s. Doesn't bother me, but a lot of these folks are not accustomed.

Pete,

I see my old stomping grounds, Newton Falls, is getting pummelled with more snow today. I have a brother in Kent, he says he's getting it pretty good as well. They had pictures of Canton on TWC this morning.....Brrrrrrrrr!

Yins can have it.

Be safe my friend,

Dave

noonereal
01-05-2010, 08:58 AM
:cool: where are the pics?

;)

Boreas
01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Yins can have it.

Do they say "yins" up there? I thought that was just Pittsburgh. What about "ret up"?

John

piece-itpete
01-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I figure Rove's making this a bad winter to prove Global Warming :D

My bro-in-laws' shop near Augusta had its' pipes freeze yesterday.

Sorry Noone, I go home (and that's when I should've had the camera, for the drive, cars off the road everywhere, etc), grab the camera, go out the back door, and...

My SO used the batteries for a Christmas present :(.

Pete

merrylander
01-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Couple of years back we had some pipes nearly freeze. The builder fastened the hot and cold lines leading to the laundry tub directly to the concrete basement wall. Then the sub-contractor insulated the basement walls, right over the pipes. Had to slice through the insulation to expese them to room temp.

Boreas
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Couple of years back we had some pipes nearly freeze. The builder fastened the hot and cold lines leading to the laundry tub directly to the concrete basement wall. Then the sub-contractor insulated the basement walls, right over the pipes. Had to slice through the insulation to expese them to room temp.

Jeeze, brilliant!

John

merrylander
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Jeeze, brilliant!

John

I could not really blame them as most winters here have been balmy until everything went FUBAR.

Boreas
01-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I could not really blame them as most winters here have been balmy until everything went FUBAR.

Yeah, but you don't put water pipes in direct contact with a block wall and then insulate them from interior warmth.

John

Charles
01-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but you don't put water pipes in direct contact with a block wall and then insulate them from interior warmth.

John

I agree, but it would have to stay awfully cold for an awfully long time for a foundation wall to fall below 32 degrees.

Copper supplies will react when in contact with concrete, quite possibly serving as a sacrificial anode, thus should be mounted on a spacer. A problem Rob doesn't have. But it would be best, and probably easier just to mount them on a board.

Chas

noonereal
01-06-2010, 06:08 AM
I agree, but it would have to stay awfully cold for an awfully long time for a foundation wall to fall below 32 degrees.

Copper supplies will react when in contact with concrete, quite possibly serving as a sacrificial anode, thus should be mounted on a spacer. A problem Rob doesn't have. But it would be best, and probably easier just to mount them on a board.

Chas

See, you are real smart Chas when it comes to everyday matters. What the hell happens when it comes to politics? :p

merrylander
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
See, you are real smart Chas when it comes to everyday matters. What the hell happens when it comes to politics? :p

Simple, plumbing has a code, i.e., rules, there are no rules in politics nor is there a code either.