PDA

View Full Version : Chief Wahoo.

piece-itpete
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
http://media2.newsnet5.com//photo/2012/03/04/chiefwahoo_20120304200941_320_240.JPG

The mascot of the Cleveland Indians.

There used to be a BIG one of the above on the old stadium which was left when the team moved to their new digs.

However it's still in heavy use. My current ball cap does not have it but that was not intentional either.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer has started a big push to end it, as well as a councilman or two. I used to scoff but frankly am uncertain.

What concerns me the most is our name. Will we have to change it eventually?

I really have something of an open mind on this and am looking for comments.

Pete

finnbow
03-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm a bit conflicted/ambivalent too about the Redskins name issue here. I've gotten to dislike the current owner (Dan Snyder) so much that I'll support whatever costs him the most.

Zeke
03-05-2014, 03:58 PM
The team was named in honor of an Indian, his name was something like Jake Sockalekis if memory serves?

In any event, I am not the least bit offended.

How a symbol is used is more important than the symbol itself. Changing the name from Spiders was respect, not ridicule.

bobabode
03-05-2014, 04:02 PM
Could've fooled me Pete. :D

I could split that hair between Indian name and Redskin name but then we always called the the Washington team, the Dead Foreskins when I lived there. (except when Dallas was playing them, of course.);)

d-ray657
03-05-2014, 04:39 PM
In Kansas City we have a team named after a fake Indian.

Regards,

D-Ray

one1
03-05-2014, 05:33 PM
you know what gets me,that the ones that get offended are not even native american.or at least I have never ran into any of my relitives or friends that it offends they all say who gives a shit it is just a damn sports team.I dont know if anyone remembers but I have 4 different Nations in my blood line on my mothers side Cherokee Creek choctaw and hell cant think of the last one.my uncle married a Navajo so that just brings another nation into the fray.

just like in our nieghbor hood most of the black people dont careif we are foolin around and say nigga to each other because there is a way that it is said that makes all the difference in the world,and you really dont know you have used it in the wrong way till you are laying on the ground knocked the fuck out.know i know it is not that way everywere some people just look for an excuse they are racist and no good to begin with.

we got a sayin around here and it is KEEP IT REAL and we do and it works.

one1
03-05-2014, 05:51 PM
oh and I will not take liberty's with that word again i just wanted to show some dont give a shit if the intent is not there.

Boreas
03-05-2014, 06:02 PM
you know what gets me,that the ones that get offended are not even native american.or at least I have never ran into any of my relitives or friends that it offends they all say who gives a shit it is just a damn sports team.I dont know if anyone remembers but I have 4 different Nations in my blood line on my mothers side Cherokee Creek choctaw and hell cant think of the last one.my uncle married a Navajo so that just brings another nation into the fray.

just like in our nieghbor hood most of the black people dont careif we are foolin around and say nigga to each other because there is a way that it is said that makes all the difference in the world,and you really dont know you have used it in the wrong way till you are laying on the ground knocked the fuck out.know i know it is not that way everywere some people just look for an excuse they are racist and no good to begin with.

we got a sayin around here and it is KEEP IT REAL and we do and it works.

Not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

John

one1
03-05-2014, 06:15 PM
well you have to look at the source of that you dont see the people that are the real pulse of the what was once was.same as you dont see blacks in dashikis anymore it is time for being real and the leaders of most native american nations are as forieng as the American leaders are to their own people.you see money has also reached into the native american culture.Most of the native americans I know will tell you they have no Leader
a real man has no leader a spiritual guide in the broadest sense maybe but it has been a free for all for a long time.all the suicide stuff you see sometimes about native americans is real.Why because there are no leaders they are off having a festive powwow and beiing the wooden indians they are.the native american strugle is a real story that will never see the light of day.because it will discredit this country to the absolute core.

piece-itpete
03-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I've often thought the whole thing was a bit overblown, and thanks Zeke.

That said isn't the symbolism important? And Wahoo (fun to say!) has been 'nice-ened' up, there's quite a few old logo stuff around:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aQHA-MRPMh4/SX-_tZTXEkI/AAAAAAAAAS4/T5qqMQD7d3g/s400/Wahoo2.jpg

Pete

one1
03-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I've often thought the whole thing was a bit overblown, and thanks Zeke.

That said isn't the symbolism important? And Wahoo (fun to say!) has been 'nice-ened' up, there's quite a few old logo stuff around:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aQHA-MRPMh4/SX-_tZTXEkI/AAAAAAAAAS4/T5qqMQD7d3g/s400/Wahoo2.jpg

Pete

it's all in fun,no harm no foul.some are gonna gripe no matter what.