PDA

View Full Version : Turntables and Licorice Pizza

bobabode
03-06-2014, 09:30 PM
What do you have for a licorice pizza spinner? What's a decent table? I've got a Dual 1019 on the shelf, a Technics 1650 with speed issues and a knock off Linear something or other. Time to look for a decent spinner, I guess.

finnbow
03-06-2014, 09:36 PM
I have a Pioneer PL-41 and like it a lot. I'm pretty sure Boreas has one in his collection too, or is at least quite familiar with it. I really like it. There are several long AK threads on this deck. Very attractive and rock solid performance - a poor man's Empire.

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/player/pl-41.JPG

icenine
03-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Those no respect Technics belt tables can be had for not too much money....I use one.....

it is hard to get a decent table out there....
i like factory cassettes better lol

CarlV
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
I have a SOTA Sapphire, Thorens TD 280 mkII, 150mkII, well and a second in pieces, 124 mkII, 135 mkI, use a Sanyo Fisher out in the garage, a couple of the 80's Technic mid-fi models, a Sony automatic. Oh yeah, an AR-XA.

Carl

HarmanKardon
03-07-2014, 02:14 AM
Two Telefunken, a Grundig, a NAD, a Sony, a Kenwood, a bunch of Dual and a big bunch of Bang & Olufsen.

Here you see my 1929 Telefunken TP74, the other one is a 1979 STP 1, which was top of the line then.

BlueStreak
03-07-2014, 03:26 AM
I have a Project 6.1, spinning as I type.

Revox B795 with tracking issues.

B&O 4002 with one channel out.

Luxman PD 264 that hums like a squadron of Hummingbirds.

Dave

HarmanKardon
03-07-2014, 03:28 AM
I have the 4004. Get your 4002 fixed!

BlueStreak
03-07-2014, 03:29 AM
I have a Pioneer PL-41 and like it a lot. I'm pretty sure Boreas has one in his collection too, or is at least quite familiar with it. I really like it. There are several long AK threads on this deck. Very attractive and rock solid performance - a poor man's Empire.

Even has Empire styling.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-07-2014, 03:33 AM
I have the 4004. Get your 4002 fixed!

Do you have any idea how to repair a broken contact ribbon where the cartridge plugs into the tone arm? That's all it is, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I can only find one tech shop in North America that still services B&O turntables and they are expensive.

Dave

Oerets
03-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Operational as we speak, Technics SL-MA1, JVC QL-Y55F Grado Silver on them. Dual 508, Harman Kardon T40, Signet TK1Ea & 5Ea. Looking for a open spot is a Marantz 6300/Grado.

Barney

HarmanKardon
03-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Operational as we speak, Technics SL-MA1, JVC QL-Y55F Grado Silver on them. Dual 508, Harmom Kardon T40, Signet TK1Ea & 5Ea. Looking for a open spot is a Marantz 6300/Grado.

Barney

We have a special Harman Kardon misspelling thread at AudioKarma with some zillion posts - you also like to misspell the name of my favourite brand - so feel free to enjoy that one. :D

It is one of the most famous threads over there! :D

Dave you got for sure my pm.

Oerets
03-07-2014, 07:42 AM
We have a special Harman Kardon misspelling thread at AudioKarma with some zillion posts - you also like to misspell the name of my favourite brand - so feel free to enjoy that one. :D

It is one of the most famous threads over there! :D

Dave you got for sure my pm.

Sorry either fat fingers, lack of caffeine or both. Could also just be plain slow this morning. Should of noticed the squiggly lines underneath at least.

Barney

HarmanKardon
03-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Sorry either fat fingers, lack of caffeine or both. Could also just be plain slow this morning. Should of noticed the squiggly lines underneath at least.

Barney

No biggie! Anyway check that thread, it is one of the funniest at AK :)

This one at General Off Topic Forums:

"If I see HARMAN KARDON incorrectly spelled one more time........" by member GlobalWarming.

merrylander
03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Two Telefunken, a Grundig, a NAD, a Sony, a Kenwood, a bunch of Dual and a big bunch of Bang & Olufsen.

Here you see my 1929 Telefunken TP74, the other one is a 1979 STP 1, which was top of the line then.

Chris that one makes me think of the two Pioneer tables that I have, a PL-88fs and a PL-44fs both HOMC tables works in a drawer. The sound is far better than one might expect and the PL-88fs is direct drive track selectable, I call it my 12" CD player. The stylus alone was $69.95

Main tables are a Yamaha PX-2 (Denon DL160) and a Rega Planar II (Signet TK5e).

BlueStreak
03-07-2014, 08:31 AM
My daily driver is the Pro-ject with the ClearAudio Aurum Beta S wood MkII.

The two linear trackers, a Revox and the B&O were excellent sounding tables when they worked properly. The Revox is EXTREMELY sensitive to level. Plus, I think the Grado Z2+ (Gold Equivalent) that's in it is too low compliance for it.

Dave

4-2-7
03-07-2014, 08:37 AM
How much had you planed on spending?

I have done the buy everything chasing a sound and found it's not necessarily the table. Im a firm believer that a high quality cartridge makes the table. In other words a good low budget table will sound like a high dollar one if the money was spent on the cartridge instead of the deck.

I have a little Mitchell Focus One, SME 3009 and it had a V15 ii on it. I really like the table but was looking for more. I bought a SOTA Star Sapphire, SME309, Sumiko Blackbird and this table is awesome. I was so impressed with the Sumiko I decided to buy the next step down in price for the Mitchel. The Blue Point Special EVO III, now with that cart on the Mitchlell, one has to justify the cost of the SOTA as far as sound quality.

That said the end result is SOTA as my favorite deck and have bought 4 of them.

I could maybe sell one of the SOTA's
I have a very clean Thorens TD 125 with a Rabco arm on it now but have a SME 3009 to put on it instead.
I also have a very clean Techniques SP 2000

Rajoo
03-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Sota Saphire that I am working on, Sota Satellite/RB300, Denon DP-45, Technics SL1200 Mk2 (I fully rebuilt this), Thorens TD140, TD-160.
And for full disclosure: Yamaha PX-3 from Rob and Elac 50H from Marc.

CarlV
03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Operational as we speak, Technics SL-MA1, JVC QL-Y55F Grado Silver on them. Dual 508, Harman Kardon T40, Signet TK1Ea & 5Ea. Looking for a open spot is a Marantz 6300/Grado.

Barney

Oh yeah, I have my mom's 6300 out in the garage. I got it, well took it from my older sister who was destroying it. She lost 1 and a half of those crappy feet where the rubber shrinks and gets hard so they fall apart, she stacked things on it until the dust cover cracked, sheesh. I need to rethink those feet, I guess save the junk originals and figure out a good at least semi-audiophile replacement. That and change the universal cartridge.
My mom bought that, a HK 730 and a pair of AR10 speakers from the Fresno Pacific Stereo in 1976 0r 77.

Carl

JJIII
03-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Carl, see here...

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Hardware/Bumpers?searchterm=rubber+feet&navid=4287921848

Look at the bottom of the page.

(NOAFIL)

CarlV
03-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Neat-o, thanks! Maybe I can figure out something there. I haven't even looked at it in six or seven years I guess. It is too bad that they go for stupid money nowadays, not that it really matters, I sure wouldn't be buying one at these prices. Maybe I am missing something about these turntables....

Carl

bobabode
03-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Sota Saphire that I am working on, Sota Satellite/RB300, Denon DP-45, Technics SL1200 Mk2 (I fully rebuilt this), Thorens TD140, TD-160.
And for full disclosure: Yamaha PX-3 from Rob and Elac 50H from Marc.

Deep into this thread about Elac TT's . Seems like there's quite a following at AK.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=390203&highlight=miracord

d-ray657
03-08-2014, 08:43 PM
Never having aspired to be a purist, I have nevertheless found a TT that I enjoy very much. I found a Craigslist ad a few years ago for a "broken" Sony PS-X5, a fully automatic turntable. It didn't have a headshell and the feet were broken. It is very heavy with a substantial platter. I put a headshell on it with a Grado Silver, got some spikes to use as feet, and have it sitting on a piece of slate on my stereo bench. It has provided hours and hours of pleasure.

I am currently using an AR-XB in my mancave system.

Regards,

D-Ray

bobabode
03-08-2014, 10:28 PM
So, automatic or stick shift?

icenine
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
The Akai tables really fly under the radar...I was listening to one I bought for 25 bucks today at the Klinic....simple semi-automatic with a cheapo p-mount Sharp cartridge....

the thing has been going since 1978 or so...its beat up but I like it

I bought it 3 or 4 years ago

barbara
03-10-2014, 09:24 PM
My son, a child of the iPod generation, came home with a box the other day and announced he got a "record player". I looked at it and told him it was a turntable. He was disappointed as someone had given him a Jim Croci album and he wants to play it. He thought he could play it with just a turntable.

Tonight when I came home from work, son and husband were busy tinkering with that "record player".

Seems they have a new project to work on together.

BlueStreak
03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
It has only just begun, Barbara.

Dave

barbara
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah....

But at least it's a project that will keep them both out of trouble. ;)

bobabode
03-10-2014, 09:32 PM
My son, a child of the iPod generation, came home with a box the other day and announced he got a "record player". I looked at it and told him it was a turntable. He was disappointed as someone had given him a Jim Croci album and he wants to play it. He thought he could play it with just a turntable.

Tonight when I came home from work, son and husband were busy tinkering with that "record player".

Seems they have a new project to work on together.

:) So it begins.

bobabode
03-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Yeah....

But at least it's a project that will keep them both out of trouble. ;)

Send 'em to Audiokarma Barbara. You'll see 'em again, sometime this summer. :cool:

BlueStreak
03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Send 'em to Audiokarma Barbara. You'll see 'em again, sometime this summer. :cool:

.......with a house full of ancient stereo gear, vacuum tubes and GIANT speakers.:)

barbara
03-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Mmmmmm..... A project that keeps them busy and out of my hair is good.... But the giant speakers might take some negotiation.

bobabode
03-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Mmmmmm..... A project that keeps them busy and out of my hair is good.... But the giant speakers might take some negotiation.

As long as they don't stumble on to a pair of Altec A7s or some big Voice of the Theaters', most speakers are small, relatively ;).

My Vandersteen Threes are only four feet tall. :D

4-2-7
03-10-2014, 10:29 PM

In every room.

And when you pull up to tour house you will know what music is playing.:D

BlueStreak
03-10-2014, 10:33 PM
I had a set of A7s for a few years. By the time I got done doing all of the mods on them, they weighed 280 lbs a piece and stood five feet tall.

Let me see if I can find the pictures...........

Dave

d-ray657
03-11-2014, 02:06 AM

One of the fancy technical terms that they would learn at AK is "WAF," which stands for "Wife Acceptance Factor." As a result of some of that factor, many of the negotiations about which you speak have taken place here.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
03-11-2014, 07:46 AM
One of the fancy technical terms that they would learn at AK is "WAF," which stands for "Wife Acceptance Factor." As a result of some of that factor, many of the negotiations about which you speak have taken place here.

Regards,

D-Ray

Never had that problem, even when I was driving stacked Advents, as long as I was happy Florence went along.:)

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I found a picture of my A7s to scare the bejesus out of Barbara with......

But, I can't load them and my computer tells me the problem is on this end, at politicalchat.org.

WTF?:confused:

Let me try some other pics...........

Dave

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Okay, here's a pic of my system with the speakers I built. And, my toes.

Click on me.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Here is one of the A7s.

IIRC, I measured them at 56" H x 28" W x 24" D, And they weighed in at 288 lbs. each after the bass horn flares were filled with sand.

I sometimes miss them.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I found a picture of my A7s to scare the bejesus out of Barbara with......

But, I can't load them and my computer tells me the problem is on this end, at politicalchat.org.

WTF?:confused:

Let me try some other pics...........

Dave

Got it to work, but had to try multiple times for each image. Anyone else having this issue?

Dave

piece-itpete
03-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Nope Dave, but then I really don't know what I'm doing :)

LMAO!! My SO has said this in 100 ways over the years :D

Pete

JBS...
03-11-2014, 10:16 AM
So, automatic or stick shift?

Stick shift all the way :D

Gates CB-500, wish I would of held on to it :(

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/jbstemp/TT%20and%20sony/DSC_8498.jpg

JBS...
03-11-2014, 10:22 AM
If I was you I would get AR-XB or a Lenco L75 ;)

My current project. 1955 301 Hammertone Grease-Bearing scheduled one

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/jbstemp/DSC_4158_zpsadeef318.jpg (http://s825.photobucket.com/user/jbstemp/media/DSC_4158_zpsadeef318.jpg.html)

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/jbstemp/DSC_4156_zpscd865400.jpg (http://s825.photobucket.com/user/jbstemp/media/DSC_4156_zpscd865400.jpg.html)

Plinth is made, Just waiting for warm weather to paint it :D

d-ray657
03-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Old school I guess, JBS. :) That looks like it is made to last - and enjoy. I do enjoy my AR-XB, although I need to get around to replacing the damping oil in the arm lift.

Regards,

D-Ray

barbara
03-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Okay, here's a pic of my system with the speakers I built. And, my toes.

Click on me.

Dave

I think we may have to build an additional room onto our house!

JJIII
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Now you're talking!:D

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 02:38 PM

I did. That whole room you're looking at didn't exist until 2006. The only thing in it are the stereo, the chair & ottoman and my Cacti.

What else does a boy need, really?

Dave

BlueStreak
03-11-2014, 02:48 PM
If I was you I would get AR-XB or a Lenco L75 ;)

My current project. 1955 301 Hammertone Grease-Bearing scheduled on

Plinth is made, Just waiting for warm weather to paint it :D

Those industrial 'tables are sweet. There was one on ebay not too long ago. I forget what brand it was, but it was actually two 'tables on one thick, steel plinth and it had 16" arms. The ad said it weighed over 400 lbs. Looked to be 1970s vintage, maybe. It went for stupid money and I imagine the shipping was horrendous. But, it would be cool to have.....:)

Dave

donquixote99
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Stick shift all the way :D

Gates CB-500, wish I would of held on to it :(

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz171/jbstemp/TT%20and%20sony/DSC_8498.jpg

Whoa--the shifter knob on that thing is too cool!

barbara
03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
So, now my son has speakers and a receiver. He is looking for a needle now. And he went to a garage sale and got six albums for $5.00 that he can't wait to listen to.

I was surprised at his choice of albums. But, coming from a garage sale, his choice was limited.

He got John Denver because he thinks he's heard of him.

Alabama and Willie Nelson because he knows he has heard of them.

And a couple of old Bill Cosby.

bobabode
03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Love those old Cosby albums. You're home will be reverberating with great music soon! ;)

bobabode
03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Cool tables Jim. :cool:

epifanatic
03-11-2014, 08:02 PM
Technics SL-1500, one of two that survived the fire a couple years ago. The Grado Prestige was salvaged from the lost Pioneer PL-520. I upgraded to the 8MZ stylus.

http://www.politicalchat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2119&d=1394586147

BlueStreak
03-12-2014, 03:08 AM
So, now my son has speakers and a receiver. He is looking for a needle now. And he went to a garage sale and got six albums for $5.00 that he can't wait to listen to.

I was surprised at his choice of albums. But, coming from a garage sale, his choice was limited.

His generation has never even heard of those people........

We're getting old, Barbara.:(

Dave

merrylander
03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Here is a full auto, well you do have to push bottons. Yamaha PX-2 linear.
With a denon DL-160 or Audio Technica AT31E.

BlueStreak
03-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Anybody here ever work on B&O turntables?

I'm still waiting on word from Beoworld.

Dave

Boreas
03-12-2014, 04:45 PM

I don't have one any more. (If I did, you would never have got that dustcover off of me. ;)) They're really nice tables.

Bob, I note that the two tables you say you have are changers, as is the ELAC you asked me about earlier. Is that what you're looking for?

The PL-41 and a number of the suggestions so far are single play manual turntables, the opposite end of the stick from your changers. They lack the convenience of a changer or even a single play automatic or auto return turntable but some believe that the lack of mechanical complexity in a manual makes for a much more reliable turntable and also a better sounding one.

For myself, I prefer single play auto return because you don't have to remember to get uo and take the arm off the record at the end. They're far less complex than a changer and also less complex than a single play automatic. Also, the good ones suffer no loss of fidelity from the return mech.

John

barbara
04-13-2014, 03:20 PM

Update:
Son had to save up $$ for a needle. Ordered one off the internet for the bargain price of $30.00 plus shipping. Anxiously waiting for a package in the mail.

Wasillaguy
04-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Anybody here ever work on B&O turntables?

I'm still waiting on word from Beoworld.

Dave

Not yet. I have a BeoGram 4004 in the cue for refurb. I opened it up to get all the cap values, and I ordered the parts, but haven't done any bench work for almost a year now. Gotta get back in the groove.

Tone arm just tracks across to the stop, then goes back to rest position. I read up on posts about the most common problems, and it's usually cleaning the mechanism and replacing the bulb for the electric eye.

bobabode
04-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Update:
Son had to save up $$ for a needle. Ordered one off the internet for the bargain price of $30.00 plus shipping. Anxiously waiting for a package in the mail.

Cool! Let us know how it works out Barbara. Patty and I had an interesting conversation with a bunch of young guys camping in the next site from ours on the Upper Kern, Limestone campground. They were into vinyl in a serious way. They all got a kick of the old guy sharing a joint with them.;)

Wasillaguy
04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Cool! Let us know how it works out Barbara. Patty and I had an interesting conversation with a bunch of young guys camping in the next site from ours on the Upper Kern, Limestone campground. They were into vinyl in a serious way. They all got a kick of the old guy sharing a joint with them.;)

I miss the Kern! Did you run the rapids?

bobabode
04-14-2014, 04:54 PM
I miss the Kern! Did you run the rapids?

Naw, I'm not suicidal ;) plus it was cold, cold, cold water. Water levels were up but no where near springmelt levels. I did catch Patty a 12" rainbow for dinner. ;)

Wasillaguy
04-14-2014, 05:09 PM
Naw, I'm not suicidal ;) plus it was cold, cold, cold water. Water levels were up but no where near springmelt levels. I did catch Patty a 12" rainbow for dinner. ;)

I always wore a wetsuit before 4th of July. Don't blame you for not running Limestone, I'm too old for that shit now too. I would still do the Powerhouse run though.

bobabode
04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
I always wore a wetsuit before 4th of July. Don't blame you for not running Limestone, I'm too old for that shit now too. I would still do the Powerhouse run though.

The Dragon rock formation is still there at the top of the campground. Caltrans shut off access on the M50 to the Grove of the 100 Giants for roadwork :(. So, no Sequoia sitings. Too bad Patty wasn't up for the one mile hike to the Slide on Upper Peppermint Creek, you can't drive up there anymore from the main road. Have you ever been there?

We found our old cat Maggie of The Kern River up at Limestone in the early nineties. She adopted us on one of our trips up there. Good ol' Tortie lived to nineteen years old in bliss. :)

Wasillaguy
04-14-2014, 06:47 PM
The Dragon rock formation is still there at the top of the campground. Caltrans shut off access on the M50 to the Grove of the 100 Giants for roadwork :(. So, no Sequoia sitings. Too bad Patty wasn't up for the one mile hike to the Slide on Upper Peppermint Creek, you can't drive up there anymore from the main road. Have you ever been there?

We found our old cat Maggie of The Kern River up at Limestone in the early nineties. She adopted us on one of our trips up there. Good ol' Tortie lived to nineteen years old in bliss. :)

Yes, we used to go up there with our beer occasionally, to escape the mid day heat.
Both the kids learned to swim in the Kern, right there at the park in town. There was a great rope swing at the downstream end of the park. You had to swim pretty hard after jumping off to get back to shore before the current pulled you down river.

bobabode
04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
They had a huge fire burn it's way through the Johnsondale area. It took out a lot of timber. There was even signs that it swept through Limestone. I've got a thread going in Off Topic about the trip.

Twodogs
05-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Is it me, or is AK unreal slow?

Twodogs
05-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Now it won't even load. I'm jonsin, I needs my AK mang.:(

bobabode
05-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Is it me, or is AK unreal slow?

Now it won't even load. I'm jonsin, I needs my AK mang.:(

Same here. I hope it's just server maintenance or some such. Hell, I took three tries just to respond here. :(

Twodogs
05-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Same here. I hope it's just server maintenance or some such. Hell, I took three tries just to respond here. :(

Me too man, maybe a power issue or something, who knows. I'm sure they are on it like a duck on a june bug. Well, I guess I could cruise around in here and piss some people off with my common sense.;)

bobabode
05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Me too man, maybe a power issue or something, who knows. I'm sure they are on it like a duck on a june bug. Well, I guess I could cruise around in here and piss some people off with my common sense.;)

Good luck with that. :rolleyes: Better get some body armor on, bro. It's a little hot in here. :D

Twodogs
05-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Heh, no need for armor from left wing tree huggers.

bobabode
05-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Heh, no need for armor from left wing tree huggers.

Some of these libs pack heat Jay. ;) Don't say I didn't warn ya.:D

mpholland
05-16-2014, 06:30 PM
If your packin' heat, you should be hunting.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1727888/PoliticalChat/Ghoulish-Troll-Hunter-Poster.jpg

mpholland
05-16-2014, 06:45 PM
Main table is a Harman Kardon T60 with an AT440/OCC cartridge. In the works is a Rek-O-Kut R-33 with an Empire 98 arm for a LOMC table. I just had Nate build me an SUT with some HK transformers. Saving for a decent cartridge now. Probably buy a DL103 variant and then sent my MC20 out for a re-tip.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1727888/AK/277853-harman_kardon_t60__t60.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1727888/Marc/Craftsmen%20500/Console/New%20folder/001%20%282%29.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1727888/PoliticalChat/7DA9842B-B391-4BCB-9F6A-6EBA80374CA9_zpscqj3mfbb.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1727888/PoliticalChat/E16F09A9-97B4-4E9B-8BAC-B54D205FAFFD_zpseakr5so1.jpg

bobabode
05-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Heh, I've seen that lead dressing that Nate's been using before. I've got a few hundred feet laying around here if you need any Marc.

mpholland
05-16-2014, 08:21 PM
I have a couple hundred feet myself. Bought it from Lar a couple years back.

bobabode
05-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a couple hundred feet myself. Bought it from Lar a couple years back.

Ayup. A couple Christmas's ago in an AK auction for me. At $50 uhmerican it was a good price. Still want to let go of a pair of those RCA AT7s? Let me know what you need for them. ;)

Twodogs
05-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I hope those HKs sound good, I was disappointed with the Altecs I have. The best SUT I've heard to date is the Audio Technica. It's shielded like a bitch too.

mpholland
05-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure which Altecs you have, but some are highly regarded and others aren't. Same with the HK's. The XT-2's have better reviews than the XT-3's do, but are rarer. I don't know what it sounds like yet, it is in the mail at the moment. To quote Nate:

I was listening to it in my system with my Denon DL103 last night and I've got to say, I think you're going to like it! Very nice presentation from these. If another pair of these pops up, I'll be grabbing them!

Twodogs
05-17-2014, 02:56 PM
Mine are red, and model number 15095A for whatever that's worth. Now I got sucked into a sand pre that I love. It's the Hafler Iris and has a MC stage that is to die for. It has liked every MC cart I've thrown at it. Presently running the DL103R. That have a bad habit of their power supply regulators getting hot and blowing up (LM317 I think), but that's easy enough to fix, just add mo heatsink.

Edit; apparently they were made by Peerless

Twodogs
05-17-2014, 03:12 PM
I think this is the worst I've seen for AK. Maybe it's time to get rid of some freeloaders over there.

Rex E.
05-17-2014, 04:59 PM
I think this is the worst I've seen for AK. Maybe it's time to get rid of some freeloaders over there.

Yeah....it's silly over there. Slow here as well......wonder what's up....

Twodogs
05-17-2014, 05:33 PM
Who knows? It don't look good from here though.

Hey, any of you guys run Pandora out of your puter USB to a DAC then to an amp. I wouldn't say it's critical listening quality, but it's ok for cleaning the house music.

4-2-7
05-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Bob doesn't do much there.:rolleyes:

4-2-7
05-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Who knows? It don't look good from here though.

Hey, any of you guys run Pandora out of your puter USB to a DAC then to an amp. I wouldn't say it's critical listening quality, but it's ok for cleaning the house music.

I just wish I knew how to get my 24bit files to play 24bit via iMac usb to a D100. From my iPad via usb to the D100 they play 24bit. But the computer 16bit lol :confused:

Twodogs
05-17-2014, 06:30 PM
I just wish I knew how to get my 24bit files to play 24bit via iMac usb to a D100. From my iPad via usb to the D100 they play 24bit. But the computer 16bit lol :confused:

Funny thing on that subject. I have an Arcam CDP that is 24 bit, and Creek that is 16 bit with the double crown chip dac. I run them both in my main, but the creek usually gets the disc. I don't understand it either.:confused: