PDA

View Full Version : A lot of news today. The Democrats aren't going quitely!

Fast_Eddie
01-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey All,

Interesting news today- Chris Dodd, who's polling badly, is out. Byron Dorgan in North Dakota, who's polling badly, is out. Here in Colorado, Gov. Bill Ritter, who's polling badly, is out. Looks like they're doing what they can to boost their odds of stemming the bleeding in the fall. Very aggressive moves I'd say. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Take care,

Ed

Boreas
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey All,

Interesting news today- Chris Dodd, who's polling badly, is out. Byron Dorgan in North Dakota, who's polling badly, is out. Here in Colorado, Gov. Bill Ritter, who's polling badly, is out. Looks like they're doing what they can to boost their odds of stemming the bleeding in the fall. Very aggressive moves I'd say. It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.

Take care,

Ed

Hey, you're back!

I'll miss Dodd but I agree. This is very proactive of the Dems. I just hope they're smart about the candidates they support in these races. I think it's time for Dr. Dean to resume the DNC chair - but Rahm would never allow it. :(

So, what about Gary Hart for Colo Gov? Any interest?

John

Fast_Eddie
01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
I've popped in from time to time, but crazy in a bad way at work. Not going to be a fun year- or at least first quarter.

I'd guess Rahm is behind all this and there will probably be more. Here in CO it will be really interesting to see what our Denver Mayor, the very popular John Hickenlooper decides to do. Hick could win the Gov. job, probably relatively easily. He's been a real problem solver and very cost conscious. Even a lot of Republicans here like him.

There's a lot of politics with the CO Senate seat. Bennett is on of Hickenlooper's guys. When the seat came open, some believe Ritter put Bennett in there to give the Republicans an easier target to shoot at and make his own re-election go a little smoother. With his announcement that he's not running again that plan clearly didn't pan out and there's probably political motives for it all. I'd guess Ritter will pop up somewhere in the Obama administration as his reward for playing ball.

But we have another popular Dem. gunning for the Bennett seat. Andrew Romanoff was the State Speaker of the House for many years and is very popular. He wants the Bennett seat and has announced he'll run. I'm curious if there is a spot in this grand scheme to get him a job somewhere as well to clear the path for Bennett. Not sure. It'll be interesting to see what happens next!

Take care,

Ed

piece-itpete
01-06-2010, 12:14 PM
It's a brilliant strategy - have whomever you can drop out so the new guy can run as an outsider and not get tarred by the Dem Congress's actions :)

Pete

Boreas
01-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd guess Rahm is behind all this and there will probably be more.

If Rahm's behind this, and I agree that he probably is, the candidates are probably going to be more corporate Democrats. Given the current mood in the country, I think that's a serious mistake.

Here in CO it will be really interesting to see what our Denver Mayor, the very popular John Hickenlooper decides to do. Hick could win the Gov. job, probably relatively easily. He's been a real problem solver and very cost conscious. Even a lot of Republicans here like him.

There are a lot of interesting Democrats in the West right now. Hickenlooper is one and Brian Schweitzer is another. Good fiscally responsible, socially liberal old school Democrats. I hope the "infection" spreads.

John

noonereal
01-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey, you're back!

. I think it's time for Dr. Dean to resume the DNC chair -

agree.

Sandy G
01-06-2010, 02:09 PM
WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!- Howard Dean, on his way to obscurity....

Boreas
01-06-2010, 02:12 PM
WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH !!- Howard Dean, on his way to obscurity....

He took back the Congress from your mob in 2006. How's that for obscure?

John

Charles
01-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey All,

Take care,

Ed

Good to see you back, Ed.

Don't know about the other two, but Dodd might be trying to get out of Dodge ahead of the sheriff.

Chas

Charles
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM
He took back the Congress from your mob in 2006. How's that for obscure?

John

Dean didn't beat anybody, the dumb assed Republicans beat themselves.

And I never could understand the hoopla about the "Dean Scream". Wasn't any worse than me whenever I draw a full boat!!!

Chas

Boreas
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Dean didn't beat anybody, the dumb assed Republicans beat themselves.

And I never could understand the hoopla about the "Dean Scream". Wasn't any worse than me whenever I draw a full boat!!!

Chas

Well, at least we agree on one thing.

John

Writewing
01-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Its gonna be a fun year watching Dems try to hold onto some sort of power, the Right is coming for you all and your gonna pay for the far left fringe agenda you were so arogantly sure the country would want. This country has always and will remain a center right society, you once again ignored that and your flash in the pan power is on life support.....see ya in November!
:whip:

Charles
01-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, at least we agree on one thing.

John

Come on, we agree on a lot of things.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
01-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Its gonna be a fun year watching Dems try to hold onto some sort of power, the Right is coming for you all and your gonna pay for the far left fringe agenda you were so arogantly sure the country would want. This country has always and will remain a center right society, you once again ignored that and your flash in the pan power is on life support.....see ya in November!

Eh, yeah, to some degree. But that was predictable. I do think they're playing hardball and it looks like they're scrambling pretty hard to get out of it as well as they can.

A couple of big things to play out yet- and they're timing things well. Health Care will pass, and despite what you hear on Fox News, the concept is actually quite popular. Once the world doesn't end, people get insurance and they get a collection of people to say how it saved their lives (will be easy to find and will be true) they'll have pretty good material for commercials. Economy is better- if it keeps up that will be a strong card for them to play. And they're about to get into Immigration. Remember that out here in the West, the tide turned in the Democrats favor when Tom Tancredo and crew got all bet out of shape over immigration. Republicans didn't play that issue well. Many hispanics are Catholic and Bush played to them pretty well on abortion. But more and more they're feeling like Republicans don't like them much. If you haven't been out west recently, there are a lot of hispanics and they vote. Pushing immigration durring the run up to 2010 elections will move the needle back to the left a bit I'd guess.

Ah, who really knows? Long time yet to elections. But that's what it looks like from my stoop.

I should say, if the economy goes to hell it's probably a blood bath for the Democrats.

Take care,

Ed

Boreas
01-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Come on, we agree on a lot of things.

Chas

Yes, we do. Weird, huh? ;)

John

d-ray657
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Boy, you certainly make it sound like the Democrats have a monopoly on arrogance, what with such a mild mannered and humble description of the political landscape. Anyone who considers Obama to be pushing a left wing agenda probably sees Dick Cheney as a centrist.

Regards,

D-Ray

Writewing
01-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Eh, yeah, to some degree. But that was predictable. I do think they're playing hardball and it looks like they're scrambling pretty hard to get out of it as well as they can.

A couple of big things to play out yet- and they're timing things well. Health Care will pass, and despite what you hear on Fox News, the concept is actually quite popular. Once the world doesn't end, people get insurance and they get a collection of people to say how it saved their lives (will be easy to find and will be true) they'll have pretty good material for commercials. Economy is better- if it keeps up that will be a strong card for them to play. And they're about to get into Immigration. Remember that out here in the West, the tide turned in the Democrats favor when Tom Tancredo and crew got all bet out of shape over immigration. Republicans didn't play that issue well. Many hispanics are Catholic and Bush played to them pretty well on abortion. But more and more they're feeling like Republicans don't like them much. If you haven't been out west recently, there are a lot of hispanics and they vote. Pushing immigration durring the run up to 2010 elections will move the needle back to the left a bit I'd guess.

Ah, who really knows? Long time yet to elections. But that's what it looks like from my stoop.

I should say, if the economy goes to hell it's probably a blood bath for the Democrats.

Take care,

Ed

I think the attempted attack on Dec 25th by the "BVD Bomber" (as I like to call him) the Ft. Hood events and other actions have severed hopes of anything more being taken on in the near future so Immigration wont be pushed for in the 2010 CYA atmosphere.

merrylander
01-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Then again people might just remember that this country is in such terrible shape because of eight years of Republican neglect. Bridges falling down, roads breaking up, a broken power grid, might as well rename it Bangladesh

Meanwhile all the money that should have been used on maintenance here was pissed against the wall in Iraq and Afghanistan, not to mention all those beautiful young people whose lives were ended before they even had a chance to live. All for a bunch of beknighted savages who are still living in the seventh century.

merrylander
01-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Sorry Ed, but as someone who did it all legally the thought of amnessty sticks in my craw. Not that that would ever make me vote for a republican, hell would need to freeze over first. Even if it did I would just grab my ice skates and have fun.

noonereal
01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=merrylander;13946]Then again people might just remember that this country is in such terrible shape because of eight years of Republican neglect. Bridges falling down, roads breaking up, a broken power grid, might as well rename it Bangladesh

QUOTE]

Their is still plenty of money left from the corporate profits his terms facilitated. What we lack is the will to take it and apply to the sociaty that provided it.

piece-itpete
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Heck, the country's in such bad shape we should spend another tril or so on nothing.

Although I guess patronage and votes counts for something!

Pete

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 08:42 AM

One thing I am certain of is never to be certain about politics. Just when you thought stupidity would be seen for what it is, its grasped at as common sense among both parties.

Fast_Eddie
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry Ed, but as someone who did it all legally the thought of amnessty sticks in my craw. Not that that would ever make me vote for a republican, hell would need to freeze over first. Even if it did I would just grab my ice skates and have fun.

I don't disagree with you. I wasn't stating a position one way or the other. Simply stating the fact that the Republicans, rightly or wrongly, are perceived by many as anti-hispanic due to the rhetoric over the immigration debate. It's hurting them with legal Hispanic voters out here in the west.

I don't pretend to have the answer on the immigration issue, but the way it played out politically did surprise me. I think the Republicans thought they found a good, emotionally compelling "wedge" issue but it kind of back fired on them.

noonereal
01-07-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't disagree with you. I wasn't stating a position one way or the other. Simply stating the fact that the Republicans, rightly or wrongly, are perceived by many as anti-hispanic due to the rhetoric over the immigration debate. It's hurting them with legal Hispanic voters out here in the west.

True but strange given that the boy king loved the Mexicans and would have nothing to do with closing the borders.

I don't pretend to have the answer on the immigration issue, but the way it played out politically did surprise me. I think the Republicans thought they found a good, emotionally compelling "wedge" issue but it kind of back fired on them.

I think the answer is simple. Enforce the laws that exist.

Fast_Eddie
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM
I think the answer is simple. Enforce the laws that exist.

Maybe so. I think politically, the important thing to do is treat everyone with respect, whatever decision is made. The Hispanic vote is much more important than it was years ago. Soon it won't be a "minority" in some states. Bush got their votes against all odds using the abortion issue. Republicans were in good shape with them at that point. But there is no question there had been a back lash against them over the immigration rhetoric. I'd be shocked if the Democrats didn't bring that issue front an center going into elections. I think it's part of the reason they're so keen to get health care put to bed as quickly as they can.

Think about this for a minute. Say health care is done and works well enough. Then they get to work on immigration. Put something together that the Republicans will block and they're in pretty good shape. They'll ask voters "what did Republicans do when they were in power? War, recession." Then they say how they got something done for America and are trying to get something else done but the dang Republicans are standing in the way. If the economy is moving the right way, and that is vital, it's not a bad message to take into an election cycle where they're likely to lose some seats. I'd say if they keep it to a minimum it will be a win for them.

Tell you one thing, if Salazar runs for Gov. here in CO, he *will* win. Shoot, Hickenlooper almost certainly would too. I'd say the odds are good that they turned an almost certain loss into and almost certain win here. We'll see if their strategy plays out as well elsewhere.