PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC owes FNC a debt of thanks

Writewing
01-07-2010, 01:48 AM
If one were to watch both networks and in particular the prime time line up one thing will become very clear very quickly. MSNBC spends a substantial portion simply complaining about FNC yet FNC makes almost no mention of their proportionately irrelevant "competition" on any night, let alone nightly.
Watch Countdown any time you wish, Olberman is hard pressed to fill his hour with his own news so he nightly attacks FOX, Maddow soon follows in a Lesbian empowered imitation of its lead in show with yet more FOX rants.
Sure Hardball, Morning Joe, ED and the others bitch too but thats a smaller issue, Compare The Factor and Hannity and you will get my point, MSNBC needs FOX to survive but FOX couldnt care less...............that is the difference between a established powerhouse and a struggling competitor.
Now I know your gonna say FOX is the big bad boogie man and blah blah blah but if it were not for FOX, MSLSD would have gone the way of "Air America" so next time your enjoying Olberman with his intellectual douchebag charm calling Bill O once again his "Worst person in the world" followed by him throwing his script at the camera with his Ed Murrow Good Night and good luck schtik look up from your glass of KoolAid and thank FOX for giving you something to watch. :D

BlueStreak
01-07-2010, 02:15 AM
What?

I don't really "watch" either one.

I am subjected to FauxNews every night in the lunchroom at work. My employer has installed a "telescreen" (Orwell reference intentional.) and tuned it to FauxNews. I suspect this is an attempt to turn us all into obedient little corporate asskissing drones. It may work on the others but I am impervious to such feeble methods of mind control. I will say that one glance at Hannitys beady demonic eyes, and his Eddie Munster hairdo usually have me running for the porcelain Buick before my half-digested Salisbury Steak reappears for an encore. This is about all of the effect FauxNews has on me.

MSNBC, think I've seen it, like, once maybe.

CNN is much easier to take than Fox, IMO.

But, really, the local news stations are the only ones I will really sit and watch all the way through.

Dave

noonereal
01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
If one were to watch both networks and in particular the prime time line up one thing will become very clear very quickly. MSNBC spends a substantial portion simply complaining about FNC yet FNC makes almost no mention of their proportionately irrelevant "competition" on any night, let alone nightly.
Watch Countdown any time you wish, Olberman is hard pressed to fill his hour with his own news so he nightly attacks FOX, Maddow soon follows in a Lesbian empowered imitation of its lead in show with yet more FOX rants.
Sure Hardball, Morning Joe, ED and the others bitch too but thats a smaller issue, Compare The Factor and Hannity and you will get my point, MSNBC needs FOX to survive but FOX couldnt care less...............that is the difference between a established powerhouse and a struggling competitor.
Now I know your gonna say FOX is the big bad boogie man and blah blah blah but if it were not for FOX, MSLSD would have gone the way of "Air America" so next time your enjoying Olberman with his intellectual douchebag charm calling Bill O once again his "Worst person in the world" followed by him throwing his script at the camera with his Ed Murrow Good Night and good luck schtik look up from your glass of KoolAid and thank FOX for giving you something to watch. :D

You seem to get confused bout your propaganda machine. Not a surprise. This is common.
The two shows you mention at MSNBC are indeed worthless shows. But they are worthless for the same reason all fox "news" shows are.
The reason for their lack of success is that the culture on the left does not take well to a propaganda driven network even if it harbors similar views to the viewer. It has nothing to do with Fox being "better" in anyway.

Part of the right wing red state culture is close minded comfort in the stays quo. Tis is in dramatic contrast to the culture on the left that favors education, reason and science. Hence what appeals to the group on the right is very different from what apples to the group on the left.
MSNBC is simply struggling to create a formate that will bring them increased viewers without understanding that their market does not want such crap. MSNBC needs to face the fact that the left by definition will never support the same type shows at the loony toon right. They need to be innovative to capture viewers.
I hate to say it but if I were in the media to make money I would be forced to adapt a right wing propaganda show because there is just no market for a left wing hate machine.

noonereal
01-07-2010, 06:29 AM
I am subjected to FauxNews every night in the lunchroom at work. My employer has installed a "telescreen" (Orwell reference intentional.) and tuned it to FauxNews.

Wow, that is very scary. This country needs to define and control this trash.
This sounds like Poland during the cold war.

doucanoe
01-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Thank you! I pretty much feel the same but lacked the patience to say so and respond to the fallout here. Fox is a little over the top at times with Beck (IMO) but the flip side is no better. MSNBC is an embarrassment to behold.

RC

doucanoe
01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Wow, that is very scary. This country needs to define and control this trash.
This sounds like Poland during the cold war.

I have yet to read a more frightening statement than this here.

RC

noonereal
01-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Thank you! I pretty much feel the same but lacked the patience to say so and respond to the fallout here.

RC

I think his point was that his network is better than my network.

You agree with this? Or did I miss his point.

Seriously

BTW, Good morning!:)

doucanoe
01-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I think his point was that his network is better than my network.

You agree with this? Or did I miss his point.

Seriously

BTW, Good morning!:)

I know what his point is. I catch them both from time to time and with the exception of the Beck show, FOX does a better job IMO. It might be for slightly different reasons but I agree for the most part.

RC

Good morning to you also!

merrylander
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Either one would likely make me chuck my cookies if I was stupid enough to watch them. I figure the Good Lord put the wet stuff between my ears so that I could do my own thinking.

Charles
01-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Fox it top dog...they have way better babes. But they have a maddening habit of hiding their cleavage with a banner.

If I ran things, I'd duct tape their mouths shut and SHOW the cleavage.

But I'm just a dirty old man,

Chas

doucanoe
01-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Either one would likely make me chuck my cookies if I was stupid enough to watch them. I figure the Good Lord put the wet stuff between my ears so that I could do my own thinking.

Rob, I feel the same way but I also believe in my ability to sort through the BS and find the truth. I posted a little dialog vignette I put together on another thread here. I can't recall at the moment which one.

I didn't state it as such, but my point was that even if the basis of the facts may be accurate, the real truth and outcome needs to be determined by wading through all the white noise presented.

There are many other resources for information that I read but when it comes to cable news, thats pretty much what you get. The major network players of the past are fine but seem to gloss over, or not discuss in detail things that should be discussed.

MSNBC and Fox do, in their own way of course. The truth and relevance can be found somewhere in between extremes IMO.

RC

noonereal
01-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Rob, I feel the same way but I also believe in my ability to sort through the BS and find the truth. I posted a little dialog vignette I put together on another thread here. I can't recall at the moment which one.

I didn't state it as such, but my point was that even if the basis of the facts may be accurate, the real truth and outcome needs to be determined by wading through all the white noise presented.

There are many other resources for information that I read but when it comes to cable news, thats pretty much what you get. The major network players of the past are fine but seem to gloss over, or not discuss in detail things that should be discussed.

MSNBC and Fox do, in their own way of course. The truth and relevance can be found somewhere in between extremes IMO.

RC

Only thing I would say is that Fox is a series of channels and publications that are 100% dedicated to pushing a political philosophy while MSNBC is one channel that merely offers a few stupid left wing shows along with mainstream stuff.

You cannot compare the two or it is a flawed argument from the start.

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Only thing I would say is that Fox is a series of channels and publications that are 100% dedicated to pushing a political philosophy while MSNBC is one channel that merely offers a few stupid left wing shows along with mainstream stuff.

You cannot compare the two or it is a flawed argument from the start.

I agree completely about fox having an agenda. Not so much about any other network.

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
I have been tuned into cnn all morning. They have talked about heroin use,
scams, credit card interest, airport security and have hosted several muslims
talking about how it's only a few of them that want to kill us. No wonder their
viewers are so paranoid and angry.

noonereal
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Well if CNN scares ya, put on Fox and do the right wing scramble.
It's still legal.

BlueStreak
01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I know what his point is. I catch them both from time to time and with the exception of the Beck show, FOX does a better job IMO. It might be for slightly different reasons but I agree for the most part.

RC

Good morning to you also!

A better job of what?

Reporting the news?

I don't see any evidence of this on either network.

Dave

merrylander
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I generally watch the local channel, though they really beat the mayor's resignation to death last night. Then switch to BBC followed by Jim Lehrer and the newshour. You could not pay me to watch Couric, but Brian was OK, yet to catch Sawyer.

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
A better job of what?

Reporting the news?

I don't see any evidence of this on either network.

Dave

Thats cause they are saying what you want to hear..

BlueStreak
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Yep. And telling you what you want to hear isn't news. It's patronizing a constituency.....Politics, in other words.

Right, Dave?

Dave

doucanoe
01-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Whether or not you agree with the viewpoint presented is irrelevant in some regard. Both discuss matters that are important to each and many times not even broached on the network news offerings. A lot of these matters are or should be of significant interest and value. It's the filtering out of the BS that makes it difficult if you just leave it at that. Many times it's dripping with BS and other times it's spot on.

I take that information and do my own research to better define the reality of whats presented. It's a difficult task sometimes.

We are all big boys and gals and I think we can handle it.

To answer you question, yes, I feel that FOX does a much better job covering news than does MSNBC. But then again, I prefer my propaganda with a side of right.

I used to take it with a side of left but it gave me gas ;)

RC

merrylander
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
What gripped me about the regular news is best illustrated by the recent health care fiasco. Senators Grassley and Hatch lied through their goddam teeth about the Canadian Single Payer plan, but no one ever thought to ask for a rebuttal from anyone in Canada. Mind you the Canadians all realize that the only time they are news is when we want their oil or iron ore.

Boreas
01-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I generally watch the local channel, though they really beat the mayor's resignation to death last night.

That really makes me sad. Like all big cities, my old hometown need all the help it can get. Seeing the "representatives of the people" stealing like that, right from the hands of the poorest in her city, is just beyond belief.

Then switch to BBC followed by Jim Lehrer and the newshour. You could not pay me to watch Couric, but Brian was OK, yet to catch Sawyer.

I'm with you there. I'll add ITN and Al Jazeera English as well. I used to watch the CBC when it was on US cable.

John

Boreas
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
What gripped me about the regular news is best illustrated by the recent health care fiasco. Senators Grassley and Hatch lied through their goddam teeth about the Canadian Single Payer plan,.....

Our media refuses to hold anyone to account any more. Lies and truth have become "both sides of the issue" (except on Fox where the truth doesn't stand a chance). It's truly disgraceful.

John

Charles
01-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Not to offend anyone here at the Kos, but Fox ain't so bad.

Chas

Boreas
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Not to offend anyone here at the Kos, but Fox ain't so bad.

Chas

Yeah, Chas, Fox is really bad. Kos ain't so hot either.

John

Sandy G
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
I SWEAR by HufPo....If SHE says something, it might as well be in the Bible...

Writewing
01-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Wow........good luck with that!

Charles
01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Be careful now, you'll go to hell for lying!!!!

Chas

finnbow
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
While I agree that both MSNBC and Fox News suck, I think MSNBC does irony better. Their focus is on the irony/hypocrisy of Fox News and their ilk, whereas Fox isn't sophisticated enough to do irony. By and large, their audience just wouldn't get it. They just focus on fear-mongering and fomenting anger. That said, neither of these networks cover the news. It's just infotainment.

Boreas
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
While I agree that both MSNBC and Fox News suck, I think MSNBC does irony better. Their focus is on the irony/hypocrisy of Fox

Yeah, but you live in Damascus. Yer prolly one o' them Moozlim luvvers. ;)

John

finnbow
01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, but you live in Damascus. Yer prolly one o' them Moozlim luvvers. ;)

John

I do admit liking hummus, baba ghanouj,, and tabouli (along with a lifetime supply of virgins).:D

d-ray657
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Fox it top dog...they have way better babes. But they have a maddening habit of hiding their cleavage with a banner.

If I ran things, I'd duct tape their mouths shut and SHOW the cleavage.

But I'm just a dirty old man,

Chas

Why don't you just subscribe to the Naked News Network? Plenty of Cleavage there.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
01-08-2010, 05:54 AM
I do admit liking hummus, baba ghanouj,, and tabouli D

Very healthy foods

I enjoy them as well