PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Volt

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Seems they are finally got the batteries sorted out on this and are going in to production this month. Do you think it will help pull chevy out of its slump ?

noonereal
01-07-2010, 05:40 AM
not unless it has some meaningfully advantage over other electric models.

I would suggest it does not.

http://www.hybridcars.com/electric-car

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
I think its a matter of the public did not need it, until they were told they did.

noonereal
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I think its a matter of the public did not need it, until they were told they did.

That is marketing to a saturated country/market.

Create a demand and fill it yourself.

You question asked if the volt can save Chevy.

I don't think the product is unique enough to accomplish this.

merrylander
01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
What happened to the compact that was to replace the existing one - CRS kicked in and I forget the names of either one.

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I think Chevy should get back to being Chevy. Build relialble cars for a fair
price. They should get out of the 40,000 SUV and truck business and stop
building rental cars. They need to stop redesigning everything and just
stick with some of the platforms they have now. They could make the Camaro
a 40 mpg car to compete with the civic and still offer it with a V-8.
They could even build crossovers on the same platform. They could also stand
to lose some of those fat ass overpaid union workers.

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Chevy can build whatever they want. But if the people don't want micro cars they wont buy em.

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Right, give me big block camaro.

Grumpy
01-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Right, give me big block camaro.

Ironically there are several companies laying claim to the Yenko name and I heard they are planning to release such a car.

Fast_Eddie
01-07-2010, 10:31 AM
I think Chevy should get back to being Chevy. Build relialble cars for a fair
price.

When was that Chevy? I remember when my dad bought the brand new Chevy Citation. 1980- the first year for Chevy's first FWD car. Sure did seem cool at the time.

About a month later we had to take it back. Transmission went out. They found the cellophane from a cigarette pack in it. Had to rebuild it. That was under warranty at least. Couple years later a head bolt broke and shot up so hard it put a dent in the hood. Dad and I pulled the head and sent it to a machine shop and put it back together. Later a brake line came off and my sister spun the car. Luckily she didn't hit anything. No one in my family ever bought another Chevy.

We became Toyota folks and have had good luck. It'd be hard for Chevy to get me back, but the Volt is a good try. I'd look at it. Rather have an EV1 though. I still don't understand why they pulled the plug (pun intended) on that one. Seemed like a great car.

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 11:35 AM
The FWD was the beginning of the end for GM. That and the computer
emmisions control systems mandated by the feds. The technology was just
not ready for that yet. It put customers and mechanics under unnecesary
hardships. Had they continued to improve their existing technology and
platforms, things would have turned out for the better. Give me a 78, 79
chevy or ford over a mid 80's model anytime.

merrylander
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
WE have a pair of FWD 2000 Impalas, generally outmaneuver anything else on the road.

HatchetJack
01-07-2010, 12:10 PM
I agree, they are pretty good now but in the 80's they stunk. I have a 2000
ford taurus and I cant complain other than fit and finish. And those darn
oxygen sensors and idle control valves that constantly give people fits.

BlueStreak
01-07-2010, 12:27 PM
"Rather have an EV1 though. I still don't understand why they pulled the plug (pun intended) on that one. Seemed like a great car. "

It was a legal battle over the batteries. GM tried to screw the inventor of those batteries out of any compensation for his design, and a court battle ensued. (This is how the GM capitalist machine rewards innovation. No, wait, I've got that wrong. "It was all the unions fault". I keep forgetting my wing-nut political correctness.:rolleyes:)
Anyways, as I understand it, the case has been resolved. But, in the mean-while the courts would not allow GM to market the EV1. Couldn't just leave them sitting around, so they crushed them.

Dave

merrylander
01-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Seems to me that folks are forgetting that the Japanese produced their fair share of remons.

Boreas
01-07-2010, 12:53 PM
The FWD was the beginning of the end for GM. That and the computer
emmisions control systems mandated by the feds. The technology was just
not ready for that yet. It put customers and mechanics under unnecesary
hardships.

So, why didn't it cause the same trouble for any other manufacturer?

And we'd be better off if cars were still belching out the level of poison they did pre-1968?

Had they continued to improve their existing technology and
platforms, things would have turned out for the better.

They did. They just couldn't keep up.

Anyway, I thought it was the UAW that killed Detroit. Sounds like you're saying it was management and engineering. Help a poor dumb lib to understand.

John

Boreas
01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Seems to me that folks are forgetting that the Japanese produced their fair share of remons.

Rots and rots of remons! ;)

Seriously, they didn't produce that many, especially after the late '70s. Yes, they did have a serious problem wit rusting body panels, mostly because they weren't prepared for the weather conditions and road salt here, but mechanically they ate our lunch for a long time.

John

Charles
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I was always fond of rimes in my gin and tonics!!!!

Owned a Subaru wagon once. Engine, transmission, and rear end were great. But it rusted out quicker than a Champagne Velvet can in a mud hole, clutch cable kept breaking, and every year I had to replace a front axle assembly after the boots split and ruined the CV joint. But it would go anywhere.

Then again, my old Silverado 3500 will go anywhere too, and with a lot less problems. The heater and air aquezzer work too.

Chas

merrylander
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Tell you what, bring over Toyota's iron dog, the Avalon and I'll blow the doors off it.

The problem is that I never hear anyone say "I bought a Honda Civic and it rusted to rat shit, I'll never buy another"

Sure I had some duds, a Buick Century with a computer controlled carb, bad decision. A big candy apple red Ford Meteor that was made with imported steel, body panels rusted from the inside outward in both directions. By the same token I has a Chev Belair with a 283 V8 that was a dream, and a Buick Century 5.0 V8 ditto, Pontiac LeMans that gave me no trouble. The Impalas we have now are trouble free and can go like a bat out of hell.

It just seems like so damn many people will kiss Toyota's arse, or Honda's even when JD Power say the new Malibu is the best. I mean if you like the Japanese so effing much why don't you emmigrate.

rickr15
01-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Truly odd how that is Rob. On another board I can think of as well the statement goes something like

"My Toyota #### is the greatest ever its gone 200K with only one motor and trans replacement, Oh and the broken seat, and a few minor this and thats. But except for the rust its the best. Oh and American cars suck. I never owned one but my neighbors friends aunt told him so."

Funny how many Americans are so quick to diss the few products we do make here. Its as if they enjoy calling themselves inferior as a people.

Sandy G
01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I had a 1990 4Runner-I'd heard about how GREAT "Toys" were, so I got me one. Fit & finish-Yeah, pretty good. Mechanically, good. Power-Even w/the V-6, pretty lacking. Construction-VERY light-duty. Even though it had BIG tyres, the actual suspension components were, I thought, rinky-dink, & if I'd ever really tried any serious off-roading, I would have been walking soon. Overall, I was somewhat LESS than impressed. Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.

rickr15
01-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.

Might be true Sandy but winning the battle of perception is a big step on the way to winning the war.

BlueStreak
01-08-2010, 01:47 AM
"Funny how many Americans are so quick to diss the few products we do make here. Its as if they enjoy calling themselves inferior as a people?"

My all time favorite;

"American workers are lazy and overpaid."

To which I always respond; "And what are you, dumbass?"

Dave

Grumpy
01-08-2010, 06:26 AM
I had a 1990 4Runner-I'd heard about how GREAT "Toys" were, so I got me one. Fit & finish-Yeah, pretty good. Mechanically, good. Power-Even w/the V-6, pretty lacking. Construction-VERY light-duty. Even though it had BIG tyres, the actual suspension components were, I thought, rinky-dink, & if I'd ever really tried any serious off-roading, I would have been walking soon. Overall, I was somewhat LESS than impressed. Toyota has mastered the time-honored art of "Selling the Sizzle, not the Steak" pretty well.

I am very familar with toyota's trucks. I understand your comments about power but have to say these were not designed to be muscle cars. In 1990 even the American made trucks were not pushing the HP they currently are. That trend did not start till several years later.

Toyota trucks with the 22R 4 banger are like roaches. You cannot kill them.

The suspensions on these trucks were pretty good too. I think you were just used to seeing "fullsize" components but this was a mini to mid size at best. Though not a fan of IFS, toyotas was not bad. Just costly if you wanted to upgrade to aftermarket.

Course this is just my 2 cents which means jack squat since you were the one who did not like it. :)

Fast_Eddie
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Toyota trucks with the 22R 4 banger are like roaches. You cannot kill them.

That is the truth. I even know a guy who autocrosses an old Toyota truck with a 20R.

We have a 1998 4Runner and it's a tank. I'm not an "off-roader" but we take it on trails and such. Can't kill the thing. It's literally like new at about 130,000 miles. Interior materials were selected to last. I've driven a lot of high mileage cars, but never one with an interior that's held up as well as the car. It's a fantastic vehicle, but I just hate SUVs. It's my wife's car. She drives it 4 miles a day each way to work, so I don't even car about the gas mileage that much.

Sandy G
01-08-2010, 03:40 PM
My Foreplay-Mebbe it was just mine, but it just seemed like it was too much vehicle for the engine...It shifted back & forth constantly. Mileage was not that great, seems like it was only 15 or so on the hiway. And as big as it was, there wasn't a lot of room inside. I dunno; I'm used to big American trucks...I had an '82 K25 Suburban, & now, The Mighty Valdez...ANYTHING would seem like "Tinker-Toys" by comparison.

Fast_Eddie
01-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Ours is a V6. On the highway during a vacation a year or so ago I was able to get 31 MPG, but I was hypermiling to the hilt-we did about 58 mph max.

Charles
01-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Ours is a V6. On the highway during a vacation a year or so ago I was able to get 31 MPG, but I was hypermiling to the hilt-we did about 58 mph max.

Well, my Chevy 3500 gets 12 MPG. Unloaded, or a little less crossing the scales at 16,ooo GVW.

But that's what I bought it for. I'd love to have something more thrifty, provided it would gross at 16,ooo.

BTW, I'm licensed at 18,000, and I am not required to wear a seat belt.

Least here in Bugtussell.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
12 MPG. Ouch. That'll put a hit in the wallet.

I don't know a lot about big trucks, but wouldn't a diesel do better?

Charles
01-09-2010, 08:56 AM
12 MPG. Ouch. That'll put a hit in the wallet.

I don't know a lot about big trucks, but wouldn't a diesel do better?

Yeah, a diesel would do better, but I don't like the noisy SOB's.

Chas