PDA

View Full Version : I hate the french!!!!

BlueStreak
03-16-2014, 05:56 AM
But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

donquixote99
03-16-2014, 06:02 AM
It's just what people do. There a slot in the brain for 'enemy gang,' and some gang or other gets into it.

Tom Joad
03-16-2014, 06:10 AM
But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

I don't get it.

I thought hating the French was a right wing thing.

Seems out of character for you.

donquixote99
03-16-2014, 06:15 AM
C'mon. Haven't you ever seen 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail?' They're awful!

merrylander
03-16-2014, 06:33 AM
I have no idea, having grown up among French speaking people and having a delightful French sister-in-law, rest her soul I cannot explain your feelings

Tom Joad
03-16-2014, 06:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91WdbOm6JBM

BlueStreak
03-16-2014, 06:43 AM
I don't get it.

I thought hating the French was a right wing thing.

Seems out of character for you.

;)

Dave

mpholland
03-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Well 25% of me blows my nose at you. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

finnbow
03-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Americans, and most particularly the Right, hate the French because they're so much like us. They're nationalistic, believe that others should speak their language, and tend to believe in their own exceptionalism. Moreover, they told us that invading Iraq was a bad idea and they were right. The nerve.:rolleyes:

I've traveled through France dozens of times and have never had an issue. In fact, I find it a pretty exceptional country - great food, great wine, great art, great skiing, great sights and beautiful women. What's not to like?

HarmanKardon
03-16-2014, 07:57 AM
What would happen to a new PC member coming out as French? :eek:

Okay. Seriously - I heard about an aversion of Americans against French even in the "Simpsons" TV show. But I never undestood the reason for that. It must be a historical one, maybe when America was young ther was a severe incident and then as a result of this incident an aversion had been passed on by generations?

HarmanKardon
03-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Posted simultaneously finnbow.

d-ray657
03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
They gave us a big green statue, and won't let us forget about it.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Americans, and most particularly the Right, hate the French because they're so much like us. They're nationalistic, believe that others should speak their language, and tend to believe in their own exceptionalism. Moreover, they told us that invading Iraq was a bad idea and they were right. The nerve.:rolleyes:

I've traveled through France dozens of times and have never had an issue. In fact, I find it a pretty exceptional country - great food, great wine, great art, great skiing, great sights and beautiful women. What's not to like?

I was being facetious in the OP. I was in the South of France for two weeks back in the '80s. Cannes, Nice and Toulon. Even Toulon wasn't bad, if you didn't behave like a jackass. Cannes and Nice were beautiful.

The dislike of the French most recently, I believe, was fomented by our own government over instances when we found ourselves at odds with them. Over the Iraq war, etc. Rightwingers fall for it more readily because...........well, they always seem to need foreigners to loathe.

I was once told that the French were why we "...ended up in Vietnam. To take care of something they were too weak to finish."

Ummmmm....... We never "finished" Vietnam, either.:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
They gave us a big green statue, and won't let us forget about it.

Regards,

D-Ray

They gave us more than that.

How many Frenchmen died fighting in our revolution? Look at the contributions in aviation, art and science.

Dave

Oerets
03-16-2014, 08:46 AM
But, have no idea why.

Anyone care to explain?

Dave

This Half Acadian hates the Tea party and knows why!:D

Personally if it because of their perceived smugness, opinionated vociferous bravado. The French come is a distant second to my fellow Americans.:D

Present company excluded of course, for now!

Barney

merrylander
03-16-2014, 09:13 AM
I was being facetious in the OP. I was in the South of France for two weeks back in the '80s. Cannes, Nice and Toulon. Even Toulon wasn't bad, if you didn't behave like a jackass. Cannes and Nice were beautiful.

The dislike of the French most recently, I believe, was fomented by our own government over instances when we found ourselves at odds with them. Over the Iraq war, etc. Rightwingers fall for it more readily because...........well, they always seem to need foreigners to loathe.

I was once told that the French were why we "...ended up in Vietnam. To take care of something they were too weak to finish."

Dave

Probably because both militaries tried to fight a conventional war against an enemy that was anything but conventional.

Boreas
03-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Sounds like California. ;)

John

Boreas
03-16-2014, 09:43 AM
What would happen to a new PC member coming out as French? :eek:

Okay. Seriously - I heard about an aversion of Americans against French even in the "Simpsons" TV show. But I never undestood the reason for that. It must be a historical one, maybe when America was young ther was a severe incident and then as a result of this incident an aversion had been passed on by generations?

If it weren't for the French, we would never have gained out independence from Britain in 1776.

If not for the French, the British would have taken the country back in 1812.

How could we not hate those cheese-eating bastards? :D

John

Boreas
03-16-2014, 09:48 AM

Dave

It's also important to remember that the French collapse in Indochina was precipitated in part by a broken promise. We had agreed to assist the French military at the siege of Diem Bien Phu. We promised to send US aircraft to assist the French forces being decimated there but, somehow, we just sorta didn't.

John

Dondilion
03-16-2014, 09:59 AM
It's also important to remember that the French collapse in Indochina was precipitated in part by a broken promise. We had agreed to assist the French military at the siege of Diem Bien Phu. We promised to send US aircraft to assist the French forces being decimated there but, somehow, we just sorta didn't.

John

I guess we wanted to see them fail so we could take over the show. :D

Dondilion
03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Dave I believe the reason you hate the French is Charles De Gaul...he was
a pompous bastard.

He felt everyone and everything were inferior to the "French".

Anyhow I love the French they gave sanctuary to a lot of our musicians and treated our
non white troops - especially in WW1- with respect.

Boreas
03-16-2014, 11:23 AM
a pompous bastard.

Anyhow I love the French they gave sanctuary to a lot of our musicians and treated our
non white troops - especially in WW1- with respect.

In WW1 the French took our black troops, notably the 369th Regiment of the New York National Guard, away from duty as stevedores or other types of manual labor and put them in the line. Even though these soldiers had been trained for combat, the higher ups in the US Army felt they couldn't be trusted in the line. The French even had to give these American soldiers French rifles and French helmets.

At the end of the war the French awarded the French awarded the entire regiment the Croix de Guerre for their service to France. When it was time to return they had a tough time finding an American ship that would carry them and, when they got here, they weren't allowed to march in the official 1919 Victory Parade.

Sometime between the wars, the black American dancer, Josephine Baker moved to France and established her life and career there. At the outbreak of WW2 she was recruited by French intelligence to spy on the Germans. When France fell, she began working for the Free French. After the war she was awarded the Croix de Guerre, the Rosette de la Resistance (Resistance Medal) and the Legion d'Honneur.

Many American Jazz musicians, like Lester Young and Dexter Gordon, moved to France after WW2 to escape Jim Crow and white racism. Some returned but many stayed.

John

merrylander
03-16-2014, 11:55 AM
In WW1 the French took our black troops, notably the 369th Regiment of the New York National Guard, away from duty as stevedores or other types of manual labor and put them in the line. Even though these soldiers had been trained for combat, the higher ups in the US Army felt they couldn't be trusted in the line. The French even had to give these American soldiers French rifles and French helmets.

At the end of the war the French awarded the French awarded the entire regiment the Croix de Guerre for their service to France. When it was time to return they had a tough time finding an American ship that would carry them and, when they got here, they weren't allowed to march in the official 1919 Victory Parade.

Sometime between the wars, the black American dancer, Josephine Baker moved to France and established her life and career there. At the outbreak of WW2 she was recruited by French intelligence to spy on the Germans. When France fell, she began working for the Free French. After the war she was awarded the Croix de Guerre, the Rosette de la Resistance (Resistance Medal) and the Legion d'Honneur.

Many American Jazz musicians, like Lester Young and Dexter Gordon, moved to France after WW2 to escape Jim Crow and white racism. Some returned but many stayed.

John

PBS had a very complete documentary series on theat rigimennt and other blacks who fought in WW II. I recall one sailor who was assigned as a cook's helper. When the gunner handling one of the AA guns was killed this sailor took over and got himself a Japanese aircraft.

finnbow
03-16-2014, 12:02 PM
a pompous bastard.

Kinda like the type of Americans who profess to hate the French (i.e., the ones who harp on American exceptionalism) without having set foot in France.

BlueStreak
03-16-2014, 12:02 PM
I guess we wanted to see them fail so we could take over the show. :D

Then proudly claim glorious defeat ourselves. "Mission Accomplished" anyone?

Dave

Boreas
03-16-2014, 12:04 PM
PBS had a very complete documentary series on theat rigimennt and other blacks who fought in WW II. I recall one sailor who was assigned as a cool's helper. When yj gunner handling one of the AA guns was kille this sailor took over and got himself a Japanese aircraft.

Yes, he was a mess attendant, basically a bus boy. That was at Pearl Harbor. I think there may be a famous photo of that, probably restaged like the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.

Yes, here it is.

http://www.owensarchive.com/images/uploads/World%20War%202/8e02668var_Free_French_anti-aircraft_gunner_in_action_on_a_merchant_marine_ves sel.jpg

Tom Joad
03-16-2014, 12:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSfgNuXlSY0

piece-itpete
03-17-2014, 10:33 AM

How many Frenchmen died fighting in our revolution? Look at the contributions in aviation, art and science.

Dave

If it weren't for the French, we would never have gained out independence from Britain in 1776.

John

Agreed!

Pete

bobabode
03-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Agreed!

Pete

Commie pinko! ;)

HarmanKardon
03-18-2014, 02:01 AM
Dance audition for the Moulin Rouge.

Encourage your inhibited right wing Americans to visit gorgeous France. Their hatred will be blown away instantly. :cool:

bobabode
03-18-2014, 02:11 AM
Dance audition for the Moulin Rouge.

Encourage your inhibited right wing Americans to visit gorgeous France. Their hatred will be blown away instantly. :cool:

I'm afraid our neo puritan bible thumpers would be screeching about hellfire and damnation, whilst peeking between their fingers Chris. Not very many enlightened Berliners' in some parts of this country. ;)

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Because they eat snails & crap like that. What's worse is that they only give you 5 slugs & charge you $40.00. :mad:

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Because they eat snails & crap like that. What's worse is that they only give you 5 slugs & charge you $40.00. :mad:

We eat a lot of crap too...shrimps, crabs and lobsters.

donquixote99
03-19-2014, 05:02 PM
We eat a lot of crap too...shrimps, crabs and lobsters.

Sea bugs are tasty.

However, you forgot raw oysters. Those are much worse than snails. They at least cook the snails.

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Sea bugs are tasty.

However, you forgot raw oysters. Those are much worse than snails. They at least cook the snails.
Oyster shots are the worst thing to eat EVER! It's like chewing on snot.

Boreas
03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Oyster shots are the worst thing to eat EVER! It's like chewing on snot.

You don't chew raw oysters. You slide them out of the shell, onto your tongue and then straight down the old chute to the stomach, maybe with a little tartar sauce on them and DEFINITELY with the bit of seawater still in the shell. Wonderful! Take it from an old Marylander who has shucked and eaten more Chesapeake Bay and Chincoteague oysters than you can shake a stick at. Oyster shots are an abomination and no way for a poor oyster to meet its end.

Oh, and escargot is delicious! Little shallots, little parsley, lotta butter. Magnifique!

John

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 06:51 PM
You don't chew raw oysters. You slide them out of the shell, onto your tongue and then straight down the old chute to the stomach, maybe with a little tartar sauce on them and DEFINITELY with the bit of seawater still in the shell. Wonderful! Take it from an old Marylander who has shucked and eaten more Chesapeake Bay and Chincoteague oysters than you can shake a stick at. Oyster shots are an abomination and no way for a poor oyster to meet its end.

Oh, and escargot is delicious! Little shallots, little parsley, lotta butter. Magnifique!

John
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Never again...YUK!
I'll stick with Tacos & Burgers.

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I learned that the hard way. Never again...YUK!
I'll stick with Tacos & Burgers.

I hope not the burgers like the ones being sold nearby...tough as leather. :mad:

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Why did the French start using their tongues to kiss anyway? WTF?

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Why did the French start using their tongues to kiss anyway? WTF?

Where are we going with this one? :D

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Ripping on the French...correct?
Pay attention Dude.

BlueStreak
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Actually, Dj, "...ripping the french." was NOT the intent of my OP.

Dave

Dave

John

Kinda like the type of Americans who profess to hate the French (i.e., the ones who harp on American exceptionalism) without having set foot in France.

Agreed!

Pete

See?

Dave

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Who cares? Let the moderators sort it out.

donquixote99
03-19-2014, 07:56 PM
What next, Mr. Uptight? Gonna rip the French for enjoying sex?

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 07:58 PM
What next, Mr. Uptight? Gonna rip the French for enjoying sex?
LOL...yeah, why not?

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 08:00 PM
Ripping on the French...correct?
Pay attention Dude.

We not really ripping if we are going to highlight use of tongue.

djv8ga
03-19-2014, 08:11 PM
We not really ripping if we are going to highlight use of tongue.
Should we include not shaving?

Zeke
03-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Quick generalized story, condensed and edited:

There was a point in the history of North America when the Native inhabitants could have won, if you define winning as "kicking the English out of the New World."

Via agreement, a confederation of tribes (lead by mine) laid siege to multiple English forts throughout the upper Midwest with promised backing from the European government of hearty traders and trappers we'd coexisted with for multiple generations. Over time, things looked very bad for the English as we waited for these reinforcements to arrive and end the conflict in our favor.

When non-military representatives finally arrived from Louis XV, we were told a treaty had been arranged with George III and peace existed between the French and the English leaving us on our own.

Fuck the French.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Pontiac%27s_war.png/602px-Pontiac%27s_war.png

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Should we include not shaving?

No!

Include not bathing!

Dondilion
03-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Quick generalized story, condensed and edited:

There was a point in the history of North America when the Native inhabitants could have won, if you define winning as "kicking the English out of the New World."

Via agreement, a confederation of tribes (lead by mine) laid siege to multiple English forts throughout the upper Midwest with promised backing from the European government of hearty traders and trappers we'd coexisted with for multiple generations. Over time, things looked very bad for the English as we waited for these reinforcements to arrive and end the conflict in our favor.

When non-military representatives finally arrived from Louis XV, we were told a treaty had been arranged with George III and peace existed between the French and the English leaving us on our own.

Fuck the French.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Pontiac%27s_war.png/602px-Pontiac%27s_war.png

Reminds me of Magua's reaction to the French General Montcalm granting generous surrender terms to the English in "Last Of The Mohicans" starring Daniel Day Lewis.

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 03:11 AM
The French built fantastic cars, like this one: :D

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 03:12 AM
And this one: Most exclusive limousine ever, leaving behind all Duesenbergs and Rolls and Maybachs...

Bugatti Type 41 "La Royale", most valuable classic car limousine. (Most expensive classic car ever is of course :cool: a German one: Mercedes-Benz W 196 R racing car.)

Oerets
03-20-2014, 05:39 AM

Fuck the French.

Zeke, I too have a family history steeped and deeply effected by that very history. Being of Acadian and Micmac decent on my Mother side. Having lived with the written and oral history of family's separated at that time and some sent to Louisiana. Mine happen to run away with the Micmac's and hide thus staying in Acadia.

But too realize that no one person alive today had anything to do with those events. I do not hate the English for this separation and land grab, for it is in the past. I just hate that we do not learn from the past in how to better treat one another.

Barney

donquixote99
03-20-2014, 05:59 AM
And this one: Most exclusive limousine ever, leaving behind all Duesenbergs and Rolls and Maybachs...

Bugatti Type 41 "La Royale", most valuable classic car limousine. (Most expensive classic car ever is of course :cool: a German one: Mercedes-Benz W 196 R racing car.)

Thank-you for repairing a misconception. The name 'Bugatti' sounds Italian, and I always just assumed that's what they were.

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 06:11 AM
Dream cars for sure...!

merrylander
03-20-2014, 07:02 AM
The French built fantastic cars, like this one: :D

Ah le Deux Cheval a Vapeur or loosely translated the two steam horses. Weirdest suspension I have ever seen but then Citroen was noted for odd suspensions.

When Renault came out with this one some smartass here added letters to make it

L'esCargot

I guess because he thought it was that fast

finnbow
03-20-2014, 07:43 AM

Have you been to the car museum over in Muhlhouse? Absolutely fantastic, possibly the best in the world. Ungodly numbers of Bugattis there.

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 08:06 AM
I hate generalizations. They are not ignorant, they are insane. The French are this and that, the Germans are this and that - but the USA (according to the stubborn Americans) are the greatest beyond reproach.

Once upon a time a young fifteen years old boy went into a record store and noticed a record which seemed to be interesting. The cover presented a man who looked like a "crazy scientist". He wanted to buy the record but it was too expensive. After some negociations with the seller ("I will probably never sell this strange thing") the boy got it for some three dollars. It was his very first record: Edgard Varèse, Complete Works Vol.1, EMS 401. He went home and wanted to listen to it instantly in the living room. But Mom was ironing there so he had to move into another room with the record player to listen to the record. "I can tell you folks - I almost peed my pants!" he told later in an interview. This man was Frank Zappa.

Everybody who is familar with the IMHO greatest artist of the 20th century knows what an immense impact this music had on his own musical future. I am grateful that this French composer Edgard Varese triggered once what became later the genius Frank Zappa. France meet USA at it's best.

Picture shows Madame Varèse together with Frank.

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Have you been to the car museum over in Muhlhouse? Absolutely fantastic, possibly the best in the world. Ungodly numbers of Bugattis there.

I was there several times, the first time in 1977 when the factory (weaving mill) was threatened by bankruptcy because the owners Hans and Fritz Schlumpf put all their money into their private museum. So the workers occupied the museum and opened it for the public, they also burned as a sign of protest a classic car. "We want jobs, not a bunch of old cars."

There was a big poster in the entrance with the mother of the Schlumpfs: "We dedicate this museum to our beloved mother." And below this: "And WE dedicate this museum to all the workers making it possible."

piece-itpete
03-20-2014, 08:16 AM
This is a great thread!

Thanks Zeke for your comments. I didn't know that.

LMAO!

Who cares? Let the moderators sort it out.

HERE? Good god no, this place has the laziest moderators in the world, almost as lazy as Porsche designers :p

Pete

finnbow
03-20-2014, 08:19 AM
I hate generalizations. They are not ignorant, they are insane. The French are this and that, the Germans are this and that - but the USA (according to the stubborn Americans) are the greatest beyond reproach.

Like it or not, generalizations are the only way to talk about huge groups of people (such as a nation's population). Generally speaking, Germans differ from Italians, Americans differ from Japanese, and Norwegians differ from Nigerians.

FWIW, many residents of First World countries believe their own countries to be superior to other nations. I can't remember how many times that Germans (mostly rural Germans near Fulda) would ask if me if I didn't agree that Germany was the best country in the world. I think this trait is more common among the less-educated and less-traveled.

"Patriotism is, fundamentally, a conviction that a particular country is the best in the world because you were born in it."

- George Bernard Shaw

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 08:24 AM
People are different, nations are different, cultures are different - and that is great. DIFFERENT, NOT BETTER OR WORSE. We have to tell that also low educated people, or we should at least try to do so.

One of the basic facts of the philosophy of taosim is that actually at last everything is One without discrimination.

Boreas
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Once upon a time a young fifteen years old boy went into a record store and noticed a record which seemed to be interesting. The cover presented a man who looked like a "crazy scientist". He wanted to buy the record but it was too expensive. After some negociations with the seller ("I will probably never sell this strange thing") the boy got it for some three dollars. It was his very first record: Edgard , Complete Works Vol.1, EMS 401. He went home and wanted to listen to it instantly in the living room. But Mom was ironing there so he had to move into another room with the record player to listen to the record. "I can tell you folks - I almost peed my pants!" he told later in an interview. This man was Frank Zappa.

Everybody who is familar with the IMHO greatest artist of the 20th century knows what an immense impact this music had on his own musical future. I am grateful that this French composer Edgard Varese triggered once what became later the genius Frank Zappa. France meet USA at it's best.

Picture shows Madame Varèse together with Frank.

Ah, you must also be a fan of Ensemble Modern! Me too, and "Yellow Shark", perhaps my favorite album of FZ's music.

Also, don't forget Pierre Boulez, another French composer with "Zappa connections".

John

finnbow
03-20-2014, 08:30 AM
People are different, nations are different, cultures are different - and that is great. DIFFERENT, NOT BETTER OR WORSE.

One of the basic facts of the philosophy of taosim is that actually at last everything is One without discrimination.

While I'll agree with this sentiment, many people are fearful/suspicious/uncomfortable (pick your word) around people different than they are. FWIW, this is generally more true in Europe than in the US. For example, Muslims have assimilated far better in the US than they have in any European country.

piece-itpete
03-20-2014, 08:33 AM
HK, are you saying we're NOT the greatest beyond reproach? :p

Pete

Dondilion
03-20-2014, 08:42 AM
The French got unfairly tagged "surrender artists" largely because of WW11.

The fact is that they fought bravely in WW1 and really bore the brunt of the
fighting.

In WWII they were let down by short sighted leaders who invested heavily into fixed defense (Maginot Line) while the Germans had move on to mobile tactics.

The Frenchies didn't have a chance.

Boreas
03-20-2014, 08:56 AM

fighting.

In WWII they were let down by short sighted leaders who invested heavily into fixed defense (Maginot Line) while the Germans had move on to mobile tactics.

A truly impressive anachronism. The German army never even confronted the Maginot Line. They basically went around it, through the Low Countries.

Elements of it survive, dotting the French landscape along the Eastern Frontier.

John

Dondilion
03-20-2014, 08:57 AM
FWIW, this is generally more true in Europe than in the US. For example, Muslims have assimilated far better in the US than they have in any European country.

This is an observation I have been making to myself recently.

Despite 9/11 we have been very tolerant of Muslim in this big city. Apart from
the random lout the interaction between average citizens and Muslims has been extremely good.

Surprisingly they and orthodox Jews have many common neighborhoods. I guess they find commonality in their conservative outlook on life.

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 09:37 AM
HK, are you saying we're NOT the greatest beyond reproach? :p

Pete

The Germans are the greatest, but I have no problem to confess that the Americans are the greatestest.

:D

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Ah, you must also be a fan of Ensemble Modern! Me too, and "Yellow Shark", perhaps my favorite album of FZ's music.

Also, don't forget Pierre Boulez, another French composer with "Zappa connections".

John

Of course of course!!!!!

And never forget the fruitful cooperation of Frank with "Freaky French Fiddler" Jean-Luc Ponty, who is a unique violin Jazz artist.

piece-itpete
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
The Germans are the greatest, but I have no problem to confess that the Americans are the greatestest.

:D

LOL!

Pete

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 09:43 AM
While I'll agree with this sentiment, many people are fearful/suspicious/uncomfortable (pick your word) around people different than they are. FWIW, this is generally more true in Europe than in the US. For example, Muslims have assimilated far better in the US than they have in any European country.

Educational work is the key, even it is laboriously.

Boreas
03-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Of course of course!!!!!

And never forget the fruitful cooperation of Frank with "Freaky French Fiddler" Jean-Luc Ponty, who is a unique violin Jazz artist.

Do you have "King Kong"? I have it on vinyl. Love it! Also "Aurora" and "Cantaloupe Island".

John

BlueStreak
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM

I love the album, "The Perfect Stranger". Zappa truly was a genius.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-20-2014, 09:51 AM

fighting.

But, they did fight valiantly from within. A much neglected story from WW2 is the French Resistance and the heroic contributions they made.

Dave

HarmanKardon
03-20-2014, 09:57 AM
Ponty? Of course "King Kong", and "Open Mind" and "Sunday Walk" and others.

I have 80 Zappa LP's and 40 Zappa CD's.

My "Hot Rats" LP (FOC) is on the inside signed by Jean-Luc Ponty and His Holiness Frank Zappa. It is from a renown German collector who got the autographs in a Hotel in Berlin. 99,999 % of Zappa autographs are fakes.

Look at www.arfarf.de. It is in German but enjoy the gorgeous pictures! (The "Hot Rats" there is another one.)

Boreas
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
I have 80 Zappa LP's and 40 Zappa CD's.

Wow!

My "Hot Rats" LP (FOC) is on the inside signed by Jean-Luc Ponty and His Holiness Frank Zappa. It is from a renown German collector who got the autographs in a Hotel in Berlin.[/QUOTE]

Wowie Zowie!

John

Pio1980
03-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Dream cars for sure...!
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091026081052/desencyclopedie/images/6/65/2cv%282%29.jpg
Le Deux Cheval a Vapeur, the 2CV. Actually a very advanced car for it's time and price.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

Picasso's 2CV (just kidding):D.
http://img003.lazycars.info/cars/citroen_2cv/citroen_2cv_picasso2cv__TGugV8dt.sized.jpg

Pio1980
03-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Certain folks hereabouts hate the French for their staunch refusal to accept the obvious fact of the superiority of The United States of America in all matters, including overall standard of living, fair employment practices, culture, medical care, education, and certainly the best justice system money can buy.
OTOH, when it comes to convoluted frustrating bureaucracy, the French are up there with the best, even lacking the obvious corruption of the worst examples.

merrylander
03-20-2014, 10:48 AM

fighting.

The big problem is that the French were on good terms with the Belgians so the Maginot Line was not built on the Belgian/France border. The Nazi army simply attacked Belgium and went around the Line.

Zeke
03-20-2014, 10:51 AM
Zeke, I too have a family history steeped and deeply effected by that very history...

...But too realize that no one person alive today had anything to do with those events.

Oh, I hear you.

Perhaps I could have found a manner in which to have played that more mirthfully. :)

djv8ga
03-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Do we like the Russians more than the French?

bobabode
03-20-2014, 06:14 PM
I like Aussies...:rolleyes: on the barby.

djv8ga
03-20-2014, 06:24 PM
I like Aussies...

Yeah, Lots of Blondes. :)

Pio1980
03-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Do we like the Russians more than the French?
Certain American far-right political figures covertly admire Putiin for his willingness to boldly employ tyranny to meet his ends.

djv8ga
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
Certain American far-right political figures covertly admire Putiin for his willingness to boldly employ tyranny to meet his ends.
And some on the Left thought he was misunderstood & a good guy.

bobabode
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM

You mean like Gee Dubya when he gazed into Patooties' eyes? ;)

bobabode
03-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Some not so covertly. I saw the ex mayor of NYC positively slobbering over Putin at Faux News. ;)

Pio1980
03-20-2014, 08:24 PM

Makes you wonder how anyone didn't know he was a snake when they picked him up.

Pio1980
03-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Some not so covertly. I saw the ex mayor of NYC positively slobbering over Putin at Faux News. ;)

The one that suspended the BOR to clean up the city?

bobabode
03-20-2014, 08:35 PM
The one that suspended the BOR to clean up the city?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/Rudy_Giuliani.jpg/330px-Rudy_Giuliani.jpg

Rudy Giuliani, he's a Faux favorite.

Boreas
03-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Not so secret (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/03/03/sarah_palin_putin_wrestles_bears_obama_wears_mom_j eans_and_bloviates.html).

John

finnbow
03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
Not so secret (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2014/03/03/sarah_palin_putin_wrestles_bears_obama_wears_mom_j eans_and_bloviates.html).

John

Or Pat Buchanan (in his own words):

"Is Vladimir Putin a paleoconservative?

In the culture war for mankind’s future, is he one of us?

While such a question may be blasphemous in Western circles, consider the content of the Russian president’s state of the nation address.

With America clearly in mind, Putin declared, “In many countries today, moral and ethical norms are being reconsidered.”"

http://buchanan.org/blog/putin-one-us-6071

BlueStreak
03-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Or Pat Buchanan (in his own words):

"Is Vladimir Putin a paleoconservative?

In the culture war for mankind’s future, is he one of us?

While such a question may be blasphemous in Western circles, consider the content of the Russian president’s state of the nation address.

With America clearly in mind, Putin declared, “In many countries today, moral and ethical norms are being reconsidered.”"

http://buchanan.org/blog/putin-one-us-6071

Is Putin one of the NeoConservatives? Or are the NeoConservatives a bunch of Fascist pricks?

I believe it's the latter.

Dave

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Makes you wonder how anyone didn't know he was a snake when they picked him up.

No kidding, but somehow Russia has positioned itself as a viable 'alternative' to the US system even though he's FOS.

Pete

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 09:01 AM
No kidding, but somehow Russia has positioned itself as a viable 'alternative' to the US system even though he's FOS.

Pete

All it takes is power. Putin's Russia has some, and uses it.

Pio1980
03-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Pete

Isn't it just literally incredible that folks find the neo-Russian Putin model of centralized tyranny appealing. We've been thru this so many times there and elsewhere and yet here it is again.

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 09:09 AM
He sure does.

Pete

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 09:10 AM
Pio, over and over.

Pete

Boreas
03-21-2014, 09:12 AM
Isn't it just literally incredible that folks find the neo-Russian Putin model of centralized tyranny appealing. We've been thru this so many times there and elsewhere and yet here it is again.

It's entirely consistent with the authoritarian character of the right wing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_authoritarianism

John

Pio1980
03-21-2014, 09:17 AM

John

"Of course it's not really tyranny when we do it."
See avatar.

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 09:31 AM

John

Check. Good cite.

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately orgs like RT News tend to appeal to left leaning folks, my 02.

Pete

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Pete

You meant RC News, right?

I believe you have valued your comment correctly. :)

Boreas
03-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Pete

Libertarian, not left.

John

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 10:03 AM
They line up to watch Kucinich bash the US imperialist policy? ;)

Pete

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 10:05 AM
They line up to watch Kucinich bash the US imperialist policy? ;)

Pete

Like "Operation Just Cause".

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 12:01 PM
All it takes is power. Putin's Russia has some, and uses it.
When he's not afraid to.

BlueStreak
03-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Libertarian, not left.

John

If you think about it, there really isn't much difference.

Dave

Boreas
03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
If you think about it, there really isn't much difference.

Dave

Oh, I dunno. After you get past legalizing drugs and prostitution, there's not a lot of similarity. ;)

What RT America is doing is aiming at a lot of Millennials: the Paulistas, the OWS types and the anarchists who try to disrupt things like the WTC conferences. They're basically trying to propagandize them to feel that America doesn't have their interests at heart both that Papa Putin and Mother Russia love them. :)

John

icenine
03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
When he's not afraid to.

Yeah but he does not have to answer to anyone.

bobabode
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-53197f42/turbine/la-na-tt-conservatives-admiration-for-putin-20-001/600

"It is rather curious, given the American conservative movement’s long and dramatic history of anti-Communism and anti-Russian saber-rattling, that many leading voices on the right are speaking about Russian President Vladimir Putin (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/heads-of-state/vladimir-putin-PEPLT007593.topic) with varying degrees of admiration.
For some, it is just a matter of comparing Putin’s toughness with President Obama (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/barack-obama-PEPLT007408.topic)’s alleged weakness. Without suggesting any love for Putin, Republicans in Congress (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/u.s.-congress-ORGOV0000131.topic) have asserted that Russia’s incursion into Ukraine would not have happened had Obama not been such a wimp in his dealings with Moscow.
This line has been pushed especially hard by the foreign policy Tweedledee and Tweedledum of the Senate GOP caucus, John McCain (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/john-mccain-PEPLT004278.topic) and Lindsey Graham (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/lindsey-o.-graham-PEPLT002479.topic). Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (http://www.latimes.com/topic/politics/government/marco-rubio-PEPLT007456.topic) echoed that sentiment at the CPAC conference in Washington on Thursday."...

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-conservatives-admiration-for-putin-20140306,0,2492223.story#ixzz2wctvAaPW

piece-itpete
03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
"Putin is playing chess while Obama is playing marbles." LOL!

Pete

bobabode
03-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Pete

Chess playing will make you lose your marbles...:cool:

BlueStreak
03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Oh, I dunno. After you get past legalizing drugs and prostitution, there's not a lot of similarity. ;)

What RT America is doing is aiming at a lot of Millennials: the Paulistas, the OWS types and the anarchists who try to disrupt things like the WTC conferences. They're basically trying to propagandize them to feel that America doesn't have their interests at heart both that Papa Putin and Mother Russia love them. :)

John

Well, once you're stoned and freshly laid, who cares about the rest?

See what I'm sayin'?

Dave

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 03:42 PM

Pete

Marbles by overthrowing a pro Russian leader of a large neighbor of Russia?

finnbow
03-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Marbles by overthrowing a pro Russian leader of a large neighbor of Russia?

Unless I missed something, Putin didn't overthrow Yanukovych. Yanukovych bailed.

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Actually, I think Dondilion's claim is that Obama overthrew Yanukovych.

finnbow
03-21-2014, 05:11 PM
Actually, I think Dondilion's claim is that Obama overthrew Yanukovych.

That's even more implausible.:confused:

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah but he does not have to answer to anyone.
We need to be more intimidating IMO.
I'm not blaming the president for all of this, but he must learn from it.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 09:01 PM
We need to be more intimidating IMO.
I'm not blaming the president for all of this, but he must learn from it.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.

In this instance give an example of a big stick action which you expect from the president.

Let me remind you some of big sticks action we have been executing in recent times.

Invasion of Grenada.

Invasion of Panama

Gulf war

Bombing of Serbia

Invasion of Iraq

Invasion of Afghanistan

Bombing of Lybia

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 09:13 PM
In this instance give an example of a big stick action which you expect from the president.

Let me remind you some of big sticks action we have been executing in recent times.

Invasion of Grenada.

Invasion of Panama

Gulf war

Bombing of Serbia

Invasion of Iraq

Invasion of Afghanistan

Bombing of Lybia
Missile defense in Poland. Do you need more?
Ok, stop drawing lines in the sand when you're nothing more than a punk that has no intention of putting up any kind of fight & your opponent knows it.
Maybe help the students in Venezuela? Help Israel take out Iran before this becomes unsolvable as well.
Stop talking about fracking & produce energy for us & our allies.
Common, this is a disaster that gets worse every time the President opens his mouth. Nobody in the whole God Damn world respects this puke anymore.

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Missile defense in Poland. Do you need more?
Ok, stop drawing lines in the sand when you're nothing more than a punk that has no intention of putting up any kind of fight & your opponent knows it.
Maybe help the students in Venezuela? Help Israel take out Iran before this becomes unsolvable as well.
Stop talking about fracking & produce energy for us & our allies.
Common, this is a disaster that gets worse every time the President opens his mouth. Nobody in the whole God Damn world respects this puke anymore.

We should attack Iran on behalf of Israel.

Is Israel a cripple?

We have helped in the streets of Egypt and Lybia. What is the outcome?

Who do you think is behind the street action in Venezuela?

There are many Americans who fear Fracking.

Now just who do you want to fight now?

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 09:39 PM
We should attack Iran on behalf of Israel.

Is Israel a cripple?

We have helped in the streets of Egypt and Lybia. What is the outcome?

Who do you think is behind the street action in Venezuela?

There are many Americans who fear Fracking.

Now just who do you want to fight now?
1) No, but I think it's in our best interests to fix that problem correctly instead of treating them like this Punk President has treated Vlad.

2) The President took the side of the Muslim Brotherhood. Again, failed policy.

3) msilaicoS & the stealing of profits from the natural resources that the citizens extract from the earth. In other words, poverty caused by a Marxist government.

4) Who cares? Prove your point or shut up. I'm an environmentalist & I'm sick of the Left playing politics with our resources & wildlife. They are nothing but liars & whores.

finnbow
03-21-2014, 10:00 PM
1) No, but I think it's in our best interests to fix that problem correctly instead of treating them like this Punk President has treated Vlad.

If Dubya were still President, he'd be planning a retaliatory attack ...

... against New Zealand.:eek:

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:02 PM
If Dubya were still President, he'd be planning a retaliatory attack ...

... against New Zealand.:eek:

Dude WTF?
You guys aren't serious! I'm F&*#ing leaving!

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Israel is the only nuclear force in the region and qualitatively has the best military in the said area.

In Central America we organized the Contras and death squads and when the dust settled the people especially those of Indian extracts had to flee and are still fleeing to US.

We in New York say no to Fracking and our Governor agree. Nice!

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Israel is the only nuclear force in the region and qualitative has the best military in the said area.

In Central America we organized the Contras and death squads and when the dust settled the people especially those of Indian extracts had to flee and are still fleeing to US.
Damn, I wouldn't want to get in a bar fight with you as my only comrade.
I see how you are.

bobabode
03-21-2014, 10:07 PM
I see how you are.

That's a f*#ked up thing to say DJ.

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:08 PM
It is? Well you know how we "Baggers" roll.

Dondilion
03-21-2014, 10:16 PM

DJ can say anything.:D

He does not respect this country.

We had an election and the prime minister of a client country poked his
nose in and tried to influence the outcome.

I bet DJ was quiet on that.

BlueStreak
03-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure we instigated the student uprisings in Venezuela. It's not like Chavez or Maduro had/have any love for Obama and likewise. Besides, given our past in South America it really isn't much of a stretch to imagine the CIA running a rabble-rousing campaign in Venezuela, now is it?

Dave

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty sure we instigated the student uprisings in Venezuela. It's not like Chavez or Maduro had/have any love for Obama and likewise. Besides, given our past in South America it really isn't much of a stretch to imagine the CIA running a rabble-rousing campaign in Venezuela, now is it?

Dave
You are? Where's the proof? I call BS.

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 10:29 PM
I see how you are.

A series of real Friday night posts from DJ.... :rolleyes:

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:30 PM
A series of real Friday night posts from DJ.... :rolleyes:
Sure Dude. :rolleyes:

donquixote99
03-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Sure Dude. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'm seeing some fairly unrestrained cranky here tonight.

Who cares? Prove your point or shut up. I'm an environmentalist & I'm sick of the Left playing politics with our resources & wildlife. They are nothing but liars & whores.

djv8ga
03-21-2014, 10:36 PM
You are? :confused: It's a "Bagger" thing I guess. :(

BlueStreak
03-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Really? Do you have proof? Where are the links? I call BS!!!!:mad:

Dave

BlueStreak
03-22-2014, 06:32 AM

Dave

You are? Where's the proof? I call BS.

I don't have any proof, hence the phrase "pretty sure". It's a hunch, dj. Christ, pull the panties out of your crack.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-22-2014, 06:34 AM

He's emboldened now that he has an idiot wingman to back him up.:rolleyes:

Dave

Boreas
03-22-2014, 11:24 AM
I don't have any proof, hence the phrase "pretty sure". It's a hunch, dj. Christ, pull the panties out of your crack.

Dave

DJ is all crack today.

John

djv8ga
03-24-2014, 05:18 PM
He's emboldened now that he has an idiot wingman to back him up.:rolleyes:

Dave
Seriously, do you ever get out?
Dance-Puppet-Dance...

Denier
11-27-2016, 10:53 AM
http://www.fuckfrance2.com/

icenine
11-27-2016, 11:14 AM
They have had some great authors most Americans never will read. Like you know I read Marcel Proust a couple of years ago and Stendahl's The Red and The Black. I have been picking up Emile Zola novels but just have not gotten around to reading them yet.
There is one Zola novel called Germinal about a mining strike by French laborers that some say is one of the greatest novels ever. The author describes the horrific conditions in the mines where the horses they use are sometimes born underground and are blind because they never see the sun their whole lives.

I got to read that soon.

Wasillaguy
11-27-2016, 11:39 AM
They have had some great authors most Americans never will read. Like you know I read Marcel Proust a couple of years ago and Stendahl's The Red and The Black. I have been picking up Emile Zola novels but just have not gotten around to reading them yet.
There is one Zola novel called Germinal about a mining strike by French laborers that some say is one of the greatest novels ever. The author describes the horrific conditions in the mines where the horses they use are sometimes born underground and are blind because they never see the sun their whole lives.

I got to read that soon.

Reminds me of the "Lost Sea" in Sweetwater, TN. Big lake in a cave, very cool glass-bottom boat tours (no affiliation). I would highly recommend.
Anywho, they stocked it with rainbows. They go blind and lose their stripes, but survive just fine on the food pellets they feed them.

Boreas
11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Reminds me of the "Lost Sea" in Sweetwater, TN. Big lake in a cave, very cool glass-bottom boat tours (no affiliation). I would highly recommend.
Anywho, they stocked it with rainbows. They go blind and lose their stripes, but survive just fine on the food pellets they feed them.

Interesting that Tennessee contains both the Creation Museum and living proof of evolution within its borders.

finnbow
11-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Interesting that Tennessee contains both the Creation Museum and living proof of evolution within its borders.

The Creation Museum (and Ark) is in Kentucky, just outside Cincinnati. It would be a fun place to go with a horrific buzz on just for laughs, but tickets are expensive ($30 for one, $60 for both).

Boreas
11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
The Creation Museum (and Ark) is in Kentucky, just outside Cincinnati. It would be a fun place to go with a horrific buzz on just for laughs, but tickets are expensive ($30 for one, $60 for both).

Tennessee, Kentucky, it's all the same thing. The Scopes Monkey Trial was in Tennessee.

bobabode
11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a24070/this-jetpack-can-let-you-fly-with-the-french-blue-angles/

Damn show offs. :cool:

HarmanKardon
11-30-2016, 12:29 PM
France is an immense important part of the American history.

I love our neighbours, I am glad that our "Erzfeinde" are now our friends. The country is beautiful, the culture of France is overwhelming, most of the French I met in the last three or four decades have been so nice to me.

I will never understand the contemporary aversion of Americans to France.

finnbow
11-30-2016, 01:05 PM
France is an immense important part of the American history.

I love our neighbours, I am glad that our "Erzfeinde" are now our friends. The country is beautiful, the culture of France is overwhelming, most of the French I met in the last three or four decades have been so nice to me.

I will never understand the contemporary aversion of Americans to France.

I too love France, from the food to the wine to the sights to the skiing. Every time I go to Europe, I make it a point to spend a couple days on the Route des Vin in Alsace - French quality food served in German-style portions.;)

I think many Americans dislike the French because they're just like us - nationalistic and convinced that they are the centers of western culture (if not the universe). I believe that most Americans who express such antipathy toward the French have never set foot in France.

HarmanKardon
11-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Nice comment, Rob, thanks.

finnbow
11-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Nice comment, Rob, thanks.

Ich heisse Pat(rick). Rob (Merrylander) is my fellow Marylander.

merrylander
11-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Ich heisse Pat(rick). Rob (Merrylander) is my fellow Marylander.

And I too have enjoyed many visits in Paris and Reims.

Wasillaguy
11-30-2016, 05:19 PM
Only once myself, to Cannes. It was beautiful, the people were lovely. We were supposed to port in Monaco but the wind was too strong so we went to Cannes instead. When we got there, there were throngs of wind surfers and kite surfers ripping through the waves.
Barcelona, Spain was also great. We had two days there, but I could go back and spend a week, easy.
Italy, not so much. Dirty, graffiti everywhere, lots of homeless living in tents/shacks along the railroad right of way while the tour guides tell stories of the rent controlled buildings being inhabited by politicians and elites.

finnbow
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Only once myself, to Cannes. It was beautiful, the people were lovely. We were supposed to port in Monaco but the wind was too strong so we went to Cannes instead. When we got there, there were throngs of wind surfers and kite surfers ripping through the waves.
Barcelona, Spain was also great. We had two days there, but I could go back and spend a week, easy.
Italy, not so much. Dirty, graffiti everywhere, lots of homeless living in tents/shacks along the railroad right of way while the tour guides tell stories of the rent controlled buildings being inhabited by politicians and elites.

You went to the wrong places. Hundreds of unspeakably awesome places in Italy, not to mention the culture, food and wine. Some funky ass places too though, but they're fun if you have the stomach for it.

Wasillaguy
11-30-2016, 07:02 PM
You went to the wrong places. Hundreds of unspeakably awesome places in Italy, not to mention the culture, food and wine. Some funky ass places too though, but they're fun if you have the stomach for it.

Rome, Naples, and Pisa. I think Naples was the worst, but Pompeii was amazing.

finnbow
11-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Rome, Naples, and Pisa. I think Naples was the worst, but Pompeii was amazing.

Naples is quite funky, but appealing in a nasty sort of way - good food and little pretense. Nearby Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii are all great, as is the Amalfi coast a little south thereof. I like Rome as it isn't anywhere near as touristy as Florence and Venice, both of which are awesome in their own right, if overrun with tourists.

HarmanKardon
12-01-2016, 01:52 AM
finnbow I know that your name is Pat. I do not know why I used the name of merrylander. :eek: :confused: :mad:

finnbow
12-01-2016, 07:27 AM
finnbow I know that your name is Pat. I do not know why I used the name of merrylander. :eek: :confused: :mad:

Kein Problem, Wolfgang. ;)

BlueStreak
12-01-2016, 11:29 AM

Cannes is a gorgeous city as is Nice. One thing I noticed about the French; Talk to them slow, loud and in English and you might as well just leave. But make an attempt, even a poor attempt, to listen and speak to them in French showing an interest in their culture and the doors fling wide open. They suddenly go from cold and aloof to warm and friendly. You find out quick that they do NOT hate Americans in general. They hate the arrogance and superior attitude some Americans seem to feel entitled to.

Go back to Italy, but spend your time in Tuscany. It's one of the most wonderful places on earth. Vacationing in Naples is like vacationing in Camden, NJ. The state of one city is not indicative of the rest of the nation.

ebacon
12-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Making fun of the French seems like a meme with forgotten roots. My little experience with a few French people happened at work. At international meetings they smoked with me during breaks. That was a nice ice breaker.

They do seem to be proud of their culture and, IMO, for good reason. While I do not pretend to understand their culture, their design cues are certainly identifiable. Who does not want to identify with something? John Deere green anyone?