PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Survival

one1
03-25-2014, 07:18 AM
I found this interesting documentary anybody else seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkWs5Doadq4

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 10:53 AM
I found this interesting documentary anybody else seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkWs5Doadq4

Alex Jones?

That Dude is crazier than a shithouse rat.

one1
03-25-2014, 10:59 AM
Alex Jones?

I guess thats how I found him,I am a nut magnet.he has a ton of stuff on youtube.

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 12:39 PM
I guess thats how I found him,I am a nut magnet.he has a ton of stuff on youtube.

Yeah, he does.

And I've exposed myself to some of it.

I've found that maybe 10-20% of what he says makes sense.

But I'm just not willing to expose myself to the other 80-90% of stark raving lunacy that he spouts off in order to get to it.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 12:43 PM
Infowars. I'm not sitting through nearly three hours of Alex Jones bullshit.

Our nations problems will never solved by hiding in a hole in the ground with three tons of Spam and a tank of water. Jones is a doom salesmen, peddling to the chronically pessimistic and paranoid and little more.

Dave

Boreas
03-25-2014, 02:06 PM
Infowars. I'm not sitting through nearly three hours of Alex Jones bullshit.

Our nations problems will never solved by hiding in a hole in the ground with three tons of Spam and a tank of water. Jones is a doom salesmen, peddling to the chronically pessimistic and paranoid and little more.

Dave

The idea is to hide from them, not solve them. He's a "fear guy", not a "solutions guy".

John

piece-itpete
03-25-2014, 02:16 PM
Where I live if things go south I'm dead anyway. The road would be clogged, I'd never get to the bugout location.

Pete

merrylander
03-25-2014, 02:20 PM
If things go south where is there to go? Even if you stayed in a bunker for a year the surface would still be hot, look at Fukashima.

one1
03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
well when the shit hits the fan I would hope to be promptly dispatched and same for my Wife,we have both seen enough and are both ready at any time.to be honest depending how bad it gets in the aftermath I would not want to endure any of the struggleing.But of course I dont think anything of that magnitude will be in the near future.man has not got that suicidal yet.

piece-itpete
03-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Oh I think a nuke war right now is unlikely. However one of multiple natural disasters is rarely far away.

Pete

one1
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
well I just found caravan to midnight on you tube I have some listening material when I want some juicy conspiracy stuff,I was a coast to coast junkie back in the day when Art Bell ran it.I live for this shit,Probaly why I am the way I am.

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Oh I think a nuke war right now is unlikely. However one of multiple natural disasters is rarely far away.

Pete

After hurricane Irene you saw crazy people in this area. People are snowed in for two days and its like they are going to start killing and eating each other.

ebacon
03-25-2014, 04:08 PM
I have trouble imagining that bugging out to the country would be much safer than staying put. If you bug out then you are surrounded by other trigger happy types that also bugged out. On the other hand if you stay put you are surrounded by neighbors. Call me crazy, but if the sh*t ever hits the fan I am fine with hanging out with my neighbors. The last thing I would want to do is be the new guy in town when things got scarce.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:25 PM
The idea is to hide from them, not solve them. He's a "fear guy", not a "solutions guy".

John

Or to run from them, the way all of those tough decision making auto execs and "white flight" chickenshits bravely did in (to?) Detroit. "Pack up and haul ass like a man, son! It's the great American way!":rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:29 PM
I have trouble imagining that bugging out to the country would be much safer than staying put. If you bug out then you are surrounded by other trigger happy types that also bugged out. On the other hand if you stay put you are surrounded by neighbors. Call me crazy, but if the sh*t ever hits the fan I am fine with hanging out with my neighbors. The last thing I would want to do is be the new guy in town when things got scarce.

Right. I'd rather hang with people I know then run off into the woods, full fo people who are ready to kill you over their stash of Little Debbie cakes.

But, then again, a city full of millions of desperate people isn't a very safe scenario either.

Come to think of it........screw it. Just kill me on the first day and take whatever you want.

Dave

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 04:43 PM
Our nations problems will never solved by hiding in a hole in the ground with three tons of Spam and a tank of water.

Damn, I've said it before, but I'll say it again. We need some more smilies on this forum. Right now I want one for "Laughing my ass off".

bobabode
03-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Damn, I've said it before, but I'll say it again. We need some more smilies on this forum. Right now I want one for "Laughing my ass off".

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

Right click on the smiley>properties-copy and paste into the picture box>voila

Dondilion
03-25-2014, 05:20 PM
Although the man is hustling, it makes sense to have some basic emergency supplies.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Although the man is hustling, it makes sense to have some basic emergency supplies.

So, they can get cooked along with your carcass when New York is bombed?:p

Seriously, I guess you're right. Most people around here have a hurricane kit. I have one, although it needs restocked before the season arrives.

Dave

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 06:51 PM
So, they can get cooked along with your carcass when New York is bombed?:p

Seriously, I guess you're right. Most people around here have a hurricane kit. I have one, although it needs restocked before the season arrives.

Dave

I keep about a thousand rounds of reloads for my two revolvers.

As long as I have ammo, I figure I can get whatever else I might need. :D

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Ah, these must be some new kind of anti-bullet bullets? So you can shoot people, but no one can shoot you? Or, perchance, grab you from behind and then kick you into hamburger?

A gun is not security, and a revolver is hardly a gun, except when the target is in the same room.

Security requires, among other things, a perimeter. That means you can't really have it by yourself.

Boreas
03-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Ah, these must be some new kind of anti-bullet bullets?

"We're safe,' he said.

"Oh good,' said Arthur.

"We're in a small galley cabin,' said Ford, "in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.'

"Ah,' said Arthur, "this is obviously some strange usage of the word "safe" that I wasn't previously aware of."

Douglas Adams, "The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy"

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Ah, these must be some new kind of anti-bullet bullets? So you can shoot people, but no one can shoot you? Or, perchance, grab you from behind and then kick you into hamburger?

A gun is not security, and a revolver is hardly a gun, except when the target is in the same room.

Security requires, among other things, a perimeter. That means you can't really have it by yourself.

I'm getting my post apocalyptic survival strategies from watching "The Walking Dead".

As for revolvers, if they are good enough for Rick, they are good enough for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7G6_L_5-Y

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 08:35 PM
Ah, these must be some new kind of anti-bullet bullets? So you can shoot people, but no one can shoot you?

Of course people will be shooting back.

That's what makes these post apocalyptic scenarios so interesting.

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Forget 'Night of the Living Dead.' Study 'Hitch-hiker's guide.'

Neither has much info about security, but the Hitch-hiker book will make you more sane, not less.

Boreas
03-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Forget 'Night of the Living Dead.' Study 'Hitch-hiker's guide.'

Neither has much info about security, but the Hitch-hiker book will make you more sane, not less.

See? I caught you, didn't I? ;)

John

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 09:33 PM
See? I caught you, didn't I? ;)

John

You doubtless saw my sig over on AK.

4-2-7
03-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Alex Jones?

In reading this thread your right there hiding in the bunker with him. :rolleyes:

Boreas
03-25-2014, 11:48 PM
You doubtless saw my sig over on AK.

See posts 21 & 22. You'll see what I saw.

John

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 12:16 AM
See posts 21 & 22. You'll see what I saw.

John

I wonder how much toilet paper he has stocked for when TSHTF.

He must be a closet tea bagger reading Alex Jones down in his swamp bunker.

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 12:20 AM

A 1000 rounds is squat. Hell you make me look like an armory when I did a lot of sport shooting and loading.

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 12:55 AM
Where I live if things go south I'm dead anyway. The road would be clogged, I'd never get to the bugout location.

Pete

LMAO.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm getting my post apocalyptic survival strategies from watching "The Walking Dead".

As for revolvers, if they are good enough for Rick, they are good enough for me. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/lsabre.gif
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/64714-slap.gif

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/uzi.gif

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/pistols.gif

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Yeah, he does.

And I've exposed myself to some of it. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/moon.gif

I've found that maybe 10-20% of what he says makes sense. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif

But I'm just not willing to expose myself to the other 80-90% of stark raving lunacy that he spouts off in order to get to it.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/bash.gif

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:13 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/images/smilies/ttiwwp.gif

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:24 AM
http://www.bkffm.siemavisuart.de/bunker/normandie/longues/P1010028_1.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7PCdNLP_w0Y/TRy_Lhp9EGI/AAAAAAAAAKE/qyY5n4glYeU/s1600/CDboy0001.jpg

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:31 AM
http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/img/SecretBunker.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ln-S7XzA0gc/TJl8WiTiA1I/AAAAAAAAAqc/FkmQcW3N5ns/s1600/XJZZ8AC.jpg

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 01:36 AM
http://questionscritiques.free.fr/3eme_guerre_mondiale/champignon%20atomique.jpg

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 09:51 AM
When the gas distribution system breaks down everything else does too, including food. I agree Mike cannibalism would happen a lot faster than people think, civilization is a very thin veneer.

The perimeter thing, I thought about that in my last neighborhood. There basically wasn't a workable one anywhere nearby. We had lots of small game and deer but that would vanish almost immediately.

Anything happens I'm heading to Toms :)

Pete

MikeG22
03-26-2014, 10:28 AM
The unprepared which is basically everyone even the so called preppers will be faced with a kill or be killed lifestyle. Walking dead is not far off in that groups will become factions and lord of the flies type crap will happen very quickly. Not sure I'd really want to live in that sort of world.

Boreas
03-26-2014, 10:39 AM
The unprepared which is basically everyone even the so called preppers will be faced with a kill or be killed lifestyle.

Preppers understand that very well. That's why being armed like a one man infantry platoon is the key ingredient of their lifestyle. Sometimes I think preppers actually want civilization to collapse so that they can get to play king of the jungle.

John

donquixote99
03-26-2014, 10:39 AM
If you're imagining a total/long-term breakdown, move to a small town, far from big cities. Do this now. Then prepare for a transition from whatever the place is to a self-sustaining, self-defending agricultural village. The preparations definitively include knowledge-and-attitude work with your fellow villagers ahead of time.

One thing to ponder is the social rehabilitation of any crazies who pop out of holes in the ground in the area....

Of course, i don't imagine a total/long term breakdown. Such has been predicted all my life, and it hasn't happened yet. It's sort of like the second coming of Christ--and not least because a lot of preppers are praying for it....

donquixote99
03-26-2014, 10:42 AM
Preppers understand that very well. That's why being armed like a one man infantry platoon is the key ingredient of their lifestyle. Sometimes I think preppers actually want civilization to collapse so that they can get to play king of the jungle.

John

Bingo! They survive while the 'zombies' (the not-actually-humans, guess who they are) all kill each other off, then they get to emerge and be robber-barons of all they survey.

merrylander
03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
The unprepared which is basically everyone even the so called preppers will be faced with a kill or be killed lifestyle. Walking dead is not far off in that groups will become factions and lord of the flies type crap will happen very quickly. Not sure I'd really want to live in that sort of world.

Bingo!

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
One thing about our possible deeper understanding of the universe, it's such a hostile place for fragile things like us, the Earth, even the Sun that if we were superstitious we'd probably believe it was actively trying to kill us off.

It currently appears the most likely things are asteroid/comet impact or solar flare. Can't rule out manmade biological or chemical disasters though and there are a lot nukes out there.

Pete

MikeG22
03-26-2014, 11:23 AM
There are so many things out of our control completely that could turn us into motor oil so quickly man made weapons are the least worrisome

Boreas
03-26-2014, 11:56 AM
One thing about our possible deeper understanding of the universe, it's such a hostile place for fragile things like us, the Earth, even the Sun that if we were superstitious we'd probably believe it was actively trying to kill us off.

It currently appears the most likely things are asteroid/comet impact or solar flare. Can't rule out manmade biological or chemical disasters though and there are a lot nukes out there.

Pete

We'll commit suicide.

We are committing suicide.

The planet will shrug us off like a horse to a fly.

The planet will survive but we won't. We're blithely fouling our own nest. It's to the point where immediate drastic changes to every aspect of human society are necessary, beginning right now if we're going to survive as a species but we clearly lack the will.

Climate deniers are climate deniers because they want what they have and more of it. Anything that interferes with their desires is rejected and ridiculed. Some of us even know it's true and welcome the short term phenomena. (Long term be damned. They won't be here anyway.) for instance, an ice-free Arctic means easier access to all that oil up there.

John

merrylander
03-26-2014, 12:05 PM
We'll commit suicide.

We are committing suicide.

The planet will shrug us off like a horse to a fly.

The planet will survive but we won't. We're blithely fouling our own nest. It's to the point where immediate drastic changes to every aspect of human society are necessary, beginning right now if we're going to survive as a species but we clearly lack the will.

Climate deniers are climate deniers because they want what they have and more of it. Anything that interferes with their desires is rejected and ridiculed. Some of us even know it's true and welcome the short term phenomena. (Long term be damned. They won't be here anyway.) for instance, an ice-free Arctic means easier access to all that oil up there.

John

Mother Nature will look after herself, she just wiped out a whole village in Washington State

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
While I agree the climate is changing, and quite probably we are effecting it, I don't see what we can do about it outside of getting off it. Maybe draconian population control. It may cause the breakdown of society eventually but wouldn't be dramatic, unless maybe the entire ice cover of Greenland suddenly slides into the sea. That would suck.

At least I live higher up and near a huge source of fresh water :)

Pete

Boreas
03-26-2014, 12:24 PM
While I agree the climate is changing, and quite probably we are effecting it, I don't see what we can do about it outside of getting off it.

That's how you tell yourself that you don't have to compromise your style and standard of living. This is only a little less odious than denying reality because you see climate disaster as a terrific business opportunity.

John

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Um, ideas? Someone discover cold fusion when I wasn't looking? :p

Even if we had clean power there's heat pollution as well. No matter how you slice it we are overpopulated.

Pete

Boreas
03-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Um, ideas? Someone discover cold fusion when I wasn't looking? :p

Even if we had clean power there's heat pollution as well. No matter how you slice it we are overpopulated.

Pete

So, since we can't eliminate, why bother to mitigate. Great philosophy.

John

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Mitigate only buys time, not an altogether bad thing I agree, but even small efforts have failed overall. Look at what might be called a success - cars. Modern cars are way, way cleaner but overall pollution has still increased. Kyoto was an abject failure.

Pete

Tom Joad
03-26-2014, 01:13 PM
A 1000 rounds is squat. Hell you make me look like an armory when I did a lot of sport shooting and loading.

No need to go heeled to get the bulge on a tub like you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA_trUrPQbI

one1
03-26-2014, 02:02 PM
depending on the extent and type of disaster i do not think there is a preparedness solution.it will be mass anarcy and the strong will rule and take from the weak.it will be chaos for a long time till all but a few are weeded out.basicly it is just ,luck of the draw on longevity.I dont worry about it cause it aint much me and my family can do to hold off the masses.I would hope for a fast painless execution.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Yes, better to go with the main event instead of the aftermath.

Pete

bobabode
03-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Ahh, nihilism raises it's ugly visage.

one1
03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
there are people that live for the challenge of survival but for me it is like been there ,done that ,time to go.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 02:27 PM
I believe in objective truth :o

Pete

one1
03-26-2014, 02:28 PM

Not really,think about it I know there is always hope and things do get better over time.BUT,in that type of enviroment what would be the logic to prolong the inevitible.

one1
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
there will be enough fighters and survivalists to make things fun,A whole bunch of assorted nuts all on holiday

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 02:33 PM
It's 'Panic in Year Zero'! :D

Or maybe the awful 'When Worlds Collide' :eek:

Pete

one1
03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
I love the inner web
http://www.iep.utm.edu/nihilism/

Boreas
03-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Mitigate only buys time

No, certain levels of CO2 and methane emissions are environmentally sustainable. That's what we need to strive for.

And, believe me, we need to.

John

4-2-7
03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
there are people that live for the challenge of survival but for me it is like been there ,done that ,time to go.

So far the best comment. I used to worry and spend all my money thinking of future collapse. If it dose come so be it I'm not going to wast good times prepping. I also don't need to live in some post collapse lifestyle eff that.

So enjoy today is all anyone can really do.

one1
03-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I listen to a lot of this doomsday shit,andit is more or less cheap entertainment.but a lot of people believe this shit and are driven by it.why live in fear,its like the fear of dieimg,there aint nothin you can do to stop it,when it is your time then shut up and follow Mr. Reaper ,Go happy

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 03:39 PM
No, certain levels of CO2 and methane emissions are environmentally sustainable. That's what we need to strive for.

And, believe me, we need to.

John

Agreed, which is why I mentioned population control. It appears we're already past the sustainable point.

Pete

one1
03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Agreed, which is why I mentioned population control. It appears we're already past the sustainable point.

Pete

it boggles my mind everytime I think about Americas intake of food on a daily basis,not counting the waste.and that is just America.

bobabode
03-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes, better to go with the main event instead of the aftermath.

Pete

Not really,think about it I know there is always hope and things do get better over time.BUT,in that type of enviroment what would be the logic to prolong the inevitible.

Just gigging Pete the frog, Cleon. :D He reads too much sci fi. I like the classics in that genre, 'To Serve Man' is a good one. ;)

Pio1980
03-27-2014, 08:51 AM
If our history teaches anything about survival it is that we humans thrive best when we pool our skill resources and barter them for our needs.

4-2-7
03-27-2014, 09:04 AM

Pete

Agreed;)

d-ray657
03-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Pete

Yet we have employers having a hissy fit about requiring birth control prescriptions in health plans.

Regards,

D-Ray

Tom Joad
03-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Pete

So why do you right wingers get so amped up over abortion?

djv8ga
03-27-2014, 11:39 AM
This thread is funny.

Unlike what you see on TV, prepping has evolved into growing food using Permaculture technics & creating homesteads using modern technology. This way, you can eat quality food all of the time & if something happens, you will have a sustainable garden & protein supply.
I went to Prepperfest AZ. last weekend & watching people wearing tie-dyes & camouflage hanging out together looking at the non GMO seeds, solar panels, aquaculture systems, & all kinds of products was very cool. It's such a trip to see how people have changed. It was really neat to see all of the elements coming together for the Earth's good as well as your own. :cool:

donquixote99
03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
If our history teaches anything about survival it is that we humans thrive best when we pool our skill resources and barter them for our needs.

This is a vital point. The 'go it alone' mindset is very non-optimal, both in terms of productivity, and in terms of defensibility.

Zeke
03-27-2014, 11:51 AM

And THIS is why society is fucked up. :(

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Consider too that we really live on a molten planet with a very thin hard shell. At the size of an apple the crust is as thick as the skin.

dj that sounds really neat. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one hereabouts.

I really dislike talking about abortion as a means of population control, something about it reminds me of 'The Christmas Carol'. Overpopulation already exists, like greenhouse gas we can't just stop growth, it needs to be rolled back. I suspect it is impossible without measures I doubt any of us would agree with. That's really why I believe colonization is the only way to save us from ourselves, as well as natural disasters.

Pete

one1
03-27-2014, 12:24 PM
And THIS is why society is fucked up. :(

Oh shit,Thanks Zeke I needed a good laugh,and you are so right.

one1
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
I am waiting on the cook book "365 ways to cook your neighbor"All prppers ought to have one on their bookshelf.

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 12:28 PM
I hear it tastes great.

Pete

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qWAF9PgDg2c

Pete

one1
03-27-2014, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qWAF9PgDg2c

Pete

Well since you put it like that ,I will have a end cut please and a erving of fava beans also shshshsht.

Pio1980
03-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Well since you put it like that ,I will have a end cut please and a serving of fava beans also shshshsht.

And a nice Chianti, shshshsht.

Pio1980
03-27-2014, 02:38 PM
I have a couple buds interested in putting it all in gold, I tell them it's a fabulous infinitely malleable art metal and you can cast bullets, sash weights, and other useful things with it, but if you are planning on the Apocalypse, better not to worry about that stuff and instead sharpen your chops on some essential barter-able skills that folks can actually use..

Tom Joad
03-27-2014, 02:47 PM
That's really why I believe colonization is the only way to save us from ourselves, as well as natural disasters.

Pete

Colonization?

Where?

We gonna blast off for Mars?

At the current rate of population growth we would have to send about 150,000 people a day out on rockets just to break even.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/

bobabode
03-27-2014, 03:06 PM
That's really why I believe colonization is the only way to save us from ourselves, as well as natural disasters.

Pete

The Aussies' aren't taking anymore criminals Pete so where are you planning to go, Canada? ;)

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
I agree it's an almost unimaginable issue. I just don't see any other possible solution. I've seen various estimates of sustainable population levels of around 2-4 billion. If that's actually true, we're hugely overtaxing our life support system already.

Last I heard Hawking says we should be able to do it in 200 years give or take, best guess. Problem? At 150k a day growth that's an additional 10 billion people! Great link btw.

The only way to stop it is forced abortion I'd guess. There'd be revolutions over that. Resource wars on the way. The future used to look bright.

Pete

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 03:13 PM
The Aussies' aren't taking anymore criminals Pete so where are you planning to go, Canada? ;)

I'll go live at the Possum Lodge :D

Pete

Pio1980
03-27-2014, 03:21 PM
I agree it's an almost unimaginable issue. I just don't see any other possible solution. I've seen various estimates of sustainable population levels of around 2-4 billion. If that's actually true, we're hugely overtaxing our life support system already.

Last I heard Hawking says we should be able to do it in 200 years give or take, best guess. Problem? At 150k a day growth that's an additional 10 billion people! Great link btw.

The only way to stop it is forced abortion I'd guess. There'd be revolutions over that. Resource wars on the way. The future used to look bright.

Pete

Or simply population control by a mutually agreeable process. Logically that should beat plagues, famine, and warfare from overpopulation pressure as preferable.

bobabode
03-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Pete

I would prefer a less radical solution, such as not getting preggers in the first place. How about using the tax code to discourage rather than encourage reproduction?
Nawwww, never fly with the Palin crowd.:rolleyes:

piece-itpete
03-27-2014, 03:42 PM
What's the old saying, a person is smart, people are stupid :o

Looking around more at the link it says the pop will possibly only double in the next 200 years. So 7 instead of 10 more bil. Even Canada will have a much denser population. Imagine the greenhouse gas production, fertilizer runoff, chicken poop seas.

A great argument to buy land though! Just not near sea level.

Pete

bobabode
03-27-2014, 04:02 PM
or a rowboat. ;)

djv8ga
03-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Pete
I'll hook you up. :)

4-2-7
03-27-2014, 06:11 PM
What's the old saying, a person is smart, people are stupid :o

Looking around more at the link it says the pop will possibly only double in the next 200 years. So 7 instead of 10 more bil. Even Canada will have a much denser population. Imagine the greenhouse gas production, fertilizer runoff, chicken poop seas.

Pete

Don't worry Pete we will be having a massive WW soon enough. At least 1 billion will die of starvation in 2 months. Another 2 billion within a year from armament,war casualties. We'll be down to 1960 levels of 3 billion in no time from our 7.5 billion. :eek:

We just need Bob to keep his pecker in his pants. :rolleyes:

Boreas
03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
I'll go live at the Possum Lodge :D

Pete

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lre6fzAhur1qfskxfo1_500.png

piece-itpete
03-28-2014, 08:18 AM
LOL! But I didn't WANT to be the geek :cool:

Pete

Tom Joad
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Last I heard Hawking says we should be able to do it in 200 years give or take, best guess.

Stephen Hawking?

Are you kidding me?

What are you doing referencing Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking is a scientist.

You baggers don't believe in science.

donquixote99
03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Stephen Hawking?

Are you kidding me?

What are you doing referencing Stephen Hawking?

Stephen Hawking is a scientist.

You baggers don't believe in science.

Actually, Pete isn't a bagger.

He's a fellow-traveler, for sure, but he knows more than your average dozen baggers put together. And he's somewhat-less attitude-infested....

piece-itpete
03-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I thought I fell off the edge of the earth once, but I didn't die. I don't know why but as I fell I immediately landed on what seemed to be a solid flat surface. Let the fancypants computervoice guy explain THAT.

Pete

Tom Joad
03-28-2014, 09:27 AM
I thought I fell off the edge of the earth once, but I didn't die. I don't know why but as I fell I immediately landed on what seemed to be a solid flat surface. Let the fancypants computervoice guy explain THAT.

Pete

Heavy Dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ResQFDDsDAI

bobabode
03-28-2014, 09:31 AM

Pete

One too many boilermakers? :cool:

piece-itpete
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
I can't send them back, even though I could using the power of the inner mind. But without them, how would I learn to transcend the mundane?

And get tons of money and hot willing women? I sure can't get them any other way.

Bob my good friends dad was a fireman. One night he came home with a number for pretty bad scratches on his face in parallel. If you asked him he'd say 'she was a wild one'. We found out that he was pissing on a wooden fence while trashed, moved over to make room for his buddy and one foot fell into a hole in the ground :D

The worst I've done drunk was kick out two pillars holding a wood roof over a porch - from underneath. I realized what I was doing right before my foot contacted the second pillar. In one short lesson I learned what the 'slam' meant in Alabama Slammers.

Pete

Tom Joad
03-28-2014, 09:54 AM
The worst I've done drunk was kick out two pillars holding a wood roof over a porch - from underneath. I realized what I was doing right before my foot contacted the second pillar. In one short lesson I learned what the 'slam' meant in Alabama Slammers.

Pete

The first time I got drunk my buddy and I were 15.

We only had two six packs of brewskis but being neophytes to drinking that was plenty.

My buddy got so sick he had to puke so he went into the bathroom, but instead of the commode he used the sink. While he was leaning on it the damn thing came right off the wall and sheared the supply line off clean so water started gushing out like crazy. Shit it was 2 inches deep all over the place before I gave up trying to find the shut off valve and got up enough nerve to go next door and tell the landlord. Got in a lot of trouble over that one.

donquixote99
03-28-2014, 09:55 AM
I realized what I was doing right before my foot contacted the second pillar.

That was ... too late.

piece-itpete
03-28-2014, 10:25 AM
It was a Loonie Toons moment. I definitely had a concussion and I was lucky.

Tom that's a good one! We should have a 'I got drunk and did this!' thread :)

Pete

mpholland
03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I think I will probably wind up here. It is off the grid and pretty unpopulated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8247502,-119.9778582,983m/data=!3m1!1e3

My father built the place after he retired, but passed from ALS before he could enjoy it. It is on 38 acres, about 10 miles out of town, and town has a population of 158. You may notice the solar panels and generator house in the next link. House is run on two banks of twelve 2v. forklift batteries. One operating and one on standby for a 24v. system running through an invertor to 110v. There is a 10,000 gallon stainless tank built into the side of the hill for gravity feed water storage. The generator is a 20K diesel unit in the shed. The house can run all week on solar with a boost once a week when the generator is ran to fully charge batteries, run the washing machine and pump jack to fill the water tank. Hot water, refrigeration, and dryer, when necessary are all run off a couple 500 gallon propane tanks. The pole barn houses enough equipment to run a small farm.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8245831,-119.9713599,80m/data=!3m1!1e3

Boreas
03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
LOL! But I didn't WANT to be the geek :cool:

Pete

Too late.

John ;)

Tom Joad
03-28-2014, 11:07 AM
It was a Loonie Toons moment. I definitely had a concussion and I was lucky.

Tom that's a good one! We should have a 'I got drunk and did this!' thread :)

Pete

I don't know Pete.

Things like that can be pretty damned embarrassing when confronted in a sober state.

donquixote99
03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
I think I will probably wind up here. It is off the grid and pretty unpopulated.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8247502,-119.9778582,983m/data=!3m1!1e3

My father built the place after he retired, but passed from ALS before he could enjoy it. It is on 38 acres, about 10 miles out of town, and town has a population of 158. You may notice the solar panels and generator house in the next link. House is run on two banks of twelve 2v. forklift batteries. One operating and one on standby for a 24v. system running through an invertor to 110v. There is a 10,000 gallon stainless tank built into the side of the hill for gravity feed water storage. The generator is a 20K diesel unit in the shed. The house can run all week on solar with a boost once a week when the generator is ran to fully charge batteries, run the washing machine and pump jack to fill the water tank. Hot water, refrigeration, and dryer, when necessary are all run off a couple 500 gallon propane tanks. The pole barn houses enough equipment to run a small farm.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8245831,-119.9713599,80m/data=!3m1!1e3

Neat getaway place.

May your pump jack always have enough to jack....

mpholland
03-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Neat getaway place.

One can only hope. That is the reason behind the jack. The well had to be so deep that the extra cost for increasing to 00ga wire and the increase to a 5HP submersible pump was cost prohibitive. A local farmer had a pump jack that could be run off a 1HP motor for almost nothing in comparison. Just a partial amount of the savings was more than enough to cover the salvage stainless milk tanker. My old man was pretty frugal. My step-mom probably even more so, and she still uses the place from spring through fall.

Tom Joad
03-28-2014, 02:59 PM

What's a pump jack?.

I've lived in the suburbs all my life.

I don't know jack shit about what a pump jack is.

merrylander
03-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Bing is your friend

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pump+jack&qpvt=pump+jack&FORM=IGRE

donquixote99
03-28-2014, 03:15 PM
From context, I got that it's a pump. That's sufficient unless I have to actually deal with such a system....

Of course, mholland's comments indicate it's a pump at the top of a well, not at the bottom.

-------------

Ok, you got me curious, so I looked. This is a pumpjack:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/ff/Pump_Jack.jpg/300px-Pump_Jack.jpg

One for a water well will be a lot smaller. They are mostly thought obsolete for water wells, but they do require only a small motor, and you can work them manually if you have to.

one1
03-28-2014, 04:04 PM
What's a pump jack?.

I've lived in the suburbs all my life.

I don't know jack shit about what a pump jack is.

It's A Pump,Jack

donquixote99
03-28-2014, 04:33 PM
It's a pump jack, Jody Mack,
Used since Teapot Dome,
M'holland's ma's got one at home.

Pio1980
03-29-2014, 11:08 AM
A pump jack is a device to convert rotary motion to a vertical reciprocating motion to operate a submersible piston-&-valve pump from the surface, commonly used to lift water and also liquid crude petroleum from underground sources.

Pio1980
03-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I have a certain fondness for the old-style flywheel engines that powered oilfield pumpjacks for decades, self-powered from the flammable gaseous "top" of the pumped petroleum. I saw too many to count crossing the country on I-70 in the 60's and 70s, then a few dozen, then the last crossing mebbe 2 still running, all given over to maintenance-free electrical power now widely distributed.
http://www.theinfomine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_1929-1024x682.jpg

merrylander
03-29-2014, 11:59 AM
Oh God those old one cylinder gas engines, they came in all sizes. The lumber yard across the river had a big one that could be heard all over. Every once in a while it would fail to fire and you would hear bump, bump, bump, nothing, bump. You never saw so many rotating shafts and belts as that single engine ran every tool in the building. With that big flywheel nothing would stop it.

Pio1980
03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
DesJardains was a major mfgr of those large flywheel horizontal engines in Canada decades ago, AFAIK they may still be in biz. Down here Fairbanks Morse tended to be the 800lb gorilla tho' there were literally hundreds of makes at one time, the engine in the pic may be an Ajax.
Met a guy in rural SLC several years back that had one of these monsters under cover in the back that drove a generator to charge a set of lead/acid batteries for his dual-wired house.

merrylander
03-29-2014, 01:02 PM
DesJardains was a major mfgr of those large flywheel horizontal engines in Canada decades ago, AFAIK they may still be in biz. Down here Fairbanks Morse tended to be the 800lb gorilla tho' there were literally hundreds of makes at one time, the engine in the pic may be an Ajax.
Met a guy in rural SLC several years back that had one of these monsters under cover in the back that drove a generator to charge a set of lead/acid batteries for his dual-wired house.

My oldest brother, rest his soul, had a walk behind tractor powered by one of those, quite a machine. How things change, I have an 18 HP tractor that is all hydraulic even the steering.

Pio1980
03-29-2014, 01:54 PM
My oldest brother, rest his soul, had a walk behind tractor powered by one of those, quite a machine. How things change, I have an 18 HP tractor that is all hydraulic even the steering.

Gravely had an interesting and very old-fashion 'T'-head tractor ala 19-teens automobile practice, here's a 1961 example before/after resto';
http://dougleen.com/ontheroad/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Sven-Gravely-Before-2.jpg
http://dougleen.com/ontheroad/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Sven-Gravely-2.jpg

Comparing a contemporary-ish 20hp stationary engine to a 1910 20hp Model 'T' Ford is instructive.
I'd estimate the flywheels at ca 5' diameter.
http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/~/media/Images/GEM/Editorial/Articles/Magazine%20Articles/2008/08-01/Oil%20Field%20Engine%20News/OFES.jpg

Horses for courses;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/1910Ford-T.jpg/330px-1910Ford-T.jpg

Pio1980
03-30-2014, 08:55 AM
So are CANDU and Thorium reactors viable as the bulk energy sources of the future guys?

merrylander
03-30-2014, 09:30 AM
So are CANDU and Thorium reactors viable as the bulk energy sources of the future guys?

Well they have never done Fukushima and the way they are designed if electric power fails they shutdown unlike high pressure types. Last I heard India was gearing up to convert their CANDU to thorium.