PDA

View Full Version : Indiana throws first stone at common core

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/indiana-withdrawing-common-core-standards-23038414

It'll be a few years before my kids start school, I hope this crap gets worked out. Is the common core thing that bad?

finnbow
03-25-2014, 03:45 PM
No, it's a decidedly good thing. The Right is now opposed to it because Obama might get some credit for improving education. The last thing the Right needs or wants is an educated electorate.

Dondilion
03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/indiana-withdrawing-common-core-standards-23038414

It'll be a few years before my kids start school, I hope this crap gets worked out. Is the common core thing that bad?

Nothing bad about Common Core.

It is just politics and posturing.

An issue for talk radio and fellow hustlers to create confusion and
misinformation especially in an election year.

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Folks I know with school age kids say it takes teaching out of the hands of teachers and has kids learn threw photocopied handouts. Plus the big one I hear is it helps crappy school districts but hurt districts with good teaching reputations. Any truth there?

I live in an area with high school tax because the district has a good reputation for educating with well paid teachers. Could live ten miles away and pay thousands less every year and have a terrible school district. I moved here for my kids and don't want a poorly thought out government program ruining it.

There seems to be a ton of misinformation out there on this program and I was wondering do any of you teach or have kids being directly effected by this program.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Somebody will have to 'splain it to me in brief laymans terms. The video was weird and the 'net is full of wingnut lunatics ranting about communism, Nazis and children being turned into robots, etc., ad nauseum.

Anyhow, it's hard for me to stay interested, having no dogs in the fight. Although I should take an interest, after all, I do help pay for it.

Dave

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 04:06 PM
Honestly the two posts above are the first positive thing I've hear about it. The better school districts in this area are fighting it at every board meeting calling to remove it. My mother is near the end of her career as a HS teacher and hates it. It seems like teachers disagree with it but this is coming from good areas with good schools.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Folks I know with school age kids say it takes teaching out of the hands of teachers and has kids learn threw photocopied handouts. Plus the big one I hear is it helps crappy school districts but hurt districts with good teaching reputations. Any truth there?

I live in an area with high school tax because the district has a good reputation for educating with well paid teachers. Could live ten miles away and pay thousands less every year and have a terrible school district. I moved here for my kids and don't want a poorly thought out government program ruining it.

There seems to be a ton of misinformation out there on this program and I was wondering do any of you teach or have kids being directly effected by this program.

Could it be more of the usual "The poor kids will drag my kid down." sort of assertion? Because I've never really understood that. I would think that if a kid is bright and the parents active in that kids education that he/she would succeed wherever they go to school. It seems to me that a lot of time is being spent scrutinizing and vilifying the schools, but no one is pushing lame parents to do their part. It's almost as if the schools are even being blamed for things that should be the sole responsibility of the parents. Manors, work ethic, religious/social values and so on.

Do you see what I'm sayin'?

Now, that's not to say parents should turn a totally blind eye to what the schools are doing.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Honestly the two posts above are the first positive thing I've hear about it. The better school districts in this area are fighting it at every board meeting calling to remove it. My mother is near the end of her career as a HS teacher and hates it. It seems like teachers disagree with it but this is coming from good areas with good schools.

Money?

Dave

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Anyhow, I don't know enough about it to do anything but guess at what is going on.

Dave

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 04:19 PM
First of all, it isn't a federal program. It was developed by a consortium of state governments, based on the belief that the wildly varying standards between states were a problem. Some kids were being short changed, and there was a conviction that there was a need to make sure all states had curricula up to world standards, in the modern economy.

Second, it's always been voluntary, except that there were billions of new federal aid, callled Race to the Top money, available to apply for in 2010. That was tied to that states having 'standards' that only 'Common Care' met at that time.

Bottom line: the Feds didn't create it, they didn't mandate it, they don't control it's content and evolution, but they have been pushing it.

If schools adapt to the changes by wholesale photocopying, that would seem to be a local issue. There doubtless are issues with making changes that will be worked-out over time.

But the bs that this is Federal Control is just yet more dishonest propaganda from the right. This is state control of the schools, as far as the content, and state control has always been as absolute as they want to make it.

see http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2013/oct/24/sondy-pope/how-much-federal-government-involved-common-core-s/

djv8ga
03-25-2014, 05:56 PM
First of all, it isn't a federal program. [/url]
BS! You just glance over all the money the Feds "Bribe" & "Extort" the governors with.
I don't give a damn about Common Core, but you are such a worthless Lefty hack, it's truly pathetic.
Save it Punk.
http://www.keepeducationlocal.com/claims-vs.-facts.html

bobabode
03-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Home-schooled is so much better... No readin', no writin, no arithmetic.:rolleyes:

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 06:23 PM
BS! You just glance over all the money the Feds "Bribe" & "Extort" the governors with.
I don't give a damn about Common Core, but you are such a worthless Lefty hack, it's truly pathetic.
Save it Punk.

If you don't care about Common Core, why are you calling me names?

Look, the worst that is true is I'm wrong on the internet. I haven't been messing with you. Cool it, dude.

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Home-schooled is so much better... No readin', no writin, no arithmetic.:rolleyes:

And don't forget the real reason behind it all, no darkies.

hillbilly
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
And don't forget the real reason behind it all, no darkies.

Why you say that? We're considering home school for our soon to be grand daughters because of drugs. Bad bad BAD drug problem here and it wasn't easy getting our kids through highschool. Our kids went all day without going to the bathroom the whole way through 9'th-12'th because when a non drug user goes in the bathroom where the pills, pot, etc are being traded they catch pure hell for not being in the same ring. And they get the shit kicked out of them as an advanced warning to keep their mouth shut about what they saw. I've seen a vid on youtube of kids in the school beating the shit out of one poor kid 5 on 1 and showed the video to the principal. The principal thanked me and kicked those five in the video out of the school but the problem is other parents turn a blind eye when their kids point out what's going on. Truth be known, kids are probably getting the dope from home so some parents aren't going to show their faces.

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Save it Punk.

Like the ones in Mississippi?

Dave

BlueStreak
03-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Why you say that? We're considering home school for our soon to be grand daughters because of drugs. Bad bad BAD drug problem here and it wasn't easy getting our kids through highschool. Our kids went all day without going to the bathroom the whole way through 9'th-12'th because when a non drug user goes in the bathroom where the pills, pot, etc are being traded they catch pure hell for not being in the same ring. And they get the shit kicked out of them as an advanced warning to keep their mouth shut about what they saw. I've seen a vid on youtube of kids in the school beating the shit out of one poor kid 5 on 1 and showed the video to the principal. The principal thanked me and kicked those five in the video out of the school but the problem is other parents turn a blind eye when their kids point out what's going on. Truth be known, kids are probably getting the dope from home so some parents aren't going to show their faces.

Sounds like my high school. And that was in the '70s.

bobabode
03-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Save it Punk.

Heritage Foundation website? Really?:rolleyes: You're like a bull in a china shop DJ. Go plant some trees and chill out.

hillbilly
03-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Sounds like my high school. And that was in the '70s.

But how many babies did the girls have before 12'th grade?

hillbilly
03-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I swear it seems like they are in a darn race. :confused:

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Why you say that?

Because I think that's the real reason in about 99% of the cases.

Boreas
03-25-2014, 08:16 PM

I don't. Certainly, some people feel that way but I think most home schoolers are looking to brainwash their kids into being good little fundies. None of that science stuff for their little angels! Evolution? Big Bang? Bah! Humbug!

John

Tom Joad
03-25-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't. Certainly, some people feel that way but I think most home schoolers are looking to brainwash their kids into being good little fundies. None of that science stuff for their little angels! Evolution? Big Bang? Bah! Humbug!

John

Yeah, that's true.

It's actually the private schools where you see parents enrolling their little white angels to keep them away from those evil "others".

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
If you don't care about Common Core, why are you calling me names?

Well no reason for name calling and I hate to say it but is djv- actually correct that although the feds had nothing to do with it they are using it as a tool to decide distribution of federal funds to schools?

I'd like to ignore the whole thing as well but one, I have young kids and two, isn't this going to ultimately hit you in the tax paying wallet if your school doesn't get the federal funding?

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
Well no reason for name calling and I hate to say it but is djv- actually correct that although the feds had nothing to do with it they are using it as a tool to decide distribution of federal funds to schools?

I'd like to ignore the whole thing as well but one, I have young kids and two, isn't this going to ultimately hit you in the tax paying wallet if your school doesn't get the federal funding?

OK, you get money if you adopt standards created by educational professionals and ratified by the education staffs of a bunch of governors, designed to make American education competitive in the global economy. Just what awful results can be expected if this plot succeeds?

Like, do you think Obama is out to destroy America or something? Even if he were, this doesn't make him Czar of all the schools. The School Board will still do the hiring and firing and run all the big money construction contracts and stuff....

Dondilion
03-25-2014, 10:22 PM
OK, you get money if you adopt standards created by educational professionals and ratified by the education staffs of a bunch of governors, designed to make American education competitive in the global economy. Just what awful results can be expected if this plot succeeds?

Like, do you think Obama is out to destroy America or something? Even if he were, this doesn't make him Czar of all the schools. The School Board will still do the hiring and firing and run all the big money construction contracts and stuff....

Donq this is too much logic for people who expect to see Obama landing in
black helicopter and taking over the local school.

MikeG22
03-25-2014, 10:44 PM

So can you explain how the fed isn't involved in common core. If you don't adopt the standard you do not get federal funds. Just what awful results can be expected if it fails.

I have not heard one teacher say they think common core is a good idea. No one said Obama is out to destroy America I'd just like to know are my kids going to have to deal with a ridiculous curriculum created by so call "education professionals" that is really a political machine.

donquixote99
03-25-2014, 11:08 PM
What makes you think the curriculum is ridiculous? Why are the persons involved 'so-called' education professionals, in your view? No chance they are at least reasonably intelligent, with actual professional qualifications and normal good intent?

What do you think the 'political machine' is up to, and what evidence so you have for your suspicions? This sounds like pretty vague dread to me.

bobabode
03-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Doesn't appear to be any "black helos" involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Core_State_Standards_Initiative

BlueStreak
03-26-2014, 02:51 AM

John

I think it's both, but, I'm skeptical about the 99% figure.

I have friends that homeschooled their twins. Academically, they both did well with their mother as the primary teacher, she being highly educated herself.

But, the sheltered upbringing has led to some difficulties for them in the real world. How does one learn to deal with the diversity of American society and business having never been exposed to it?

Dave

Oerets
03-26-2014, 07:17 AM
Indiana schools for years now have been giving ISTEP tests. The schools spend the first 12 weeks preparing the students for the tests. But the results have shown little improvement in student achievement over the years.

But there are reports that the voucher school program allowing parents to use state tax dollars to send their children to charter schools is now in trouble. So this might just be another way of hiding unfavorable results so the voucher program can go forth. The Republicans are wanting to privatize the public schools it seems to me.

Barney

MikeG22
03-26-2014, 09:58 AM
What makes you think the curriculum is ridiculous? Why are the persons involved 'so-called' education professionals, in your view? No chance they are at least reasonably intelligent, with actual professional qualifications and normal good intent?

What do you think the 'political machine' is up to, and what evidence so you have for your suspicions? This sounds like pretty vague dread to me.

The curriculum is beyond ridiculous after seeing some of the scanned copies of mathematic methods they chose to include. I get what the approach was, give a problem and you must explain how you arrived at an answer. Or show how a problem was done incorrectly and explain where the person went wrong, good ideas. Making grid charts for multiplication and line charts for subtraction is total nonsense. Some things need to be racked into your brain through memory and regurgitation or you will be more confused when things get more complicated. Rather then learning laws and theories of mathematics its like learning tricks and tips.

Why do I say so called education professionals because that stinks of a political wolf in sheep's clothing. Do I think its a big conspiracy like you keep leading to, absolutely not. It just scares me that they have dramatically changed the way kids are educated and used federal money as their bait into the system.

MikeG22
03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/ypa3a5ud.jpg
Just an example I have seen

merrylander
03-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Yes there are many ways to solve that problem and those shown were wierd.

Dondilion
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
It is a subtraction "story".

Probably to highlight the constituents of numbers.

However the final question is "How would you solve this problem?".

Taken out of context it might seem odd.

donquixote99
03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
OMG! They are using different, creative, innovative ways to teach our kids!

Burn them at the stake at once!

Becoming good at playing with math left, right, and sideways is just what those who will be bright achievers in the modern world need to do. Meanwhile, the slow kids will find (or be pointed to) a way that works for them, and stick to it.

Good stuff.

merrylander
03-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Well shoot do that one in your head, it is not rocket science.

donquixote99
03-26-2014, 10:57 AM
That depends on how old you are.

And the point here is not really to get the answer '26.' Finding that answer is just a means to and end. The point is for second graders (my guess) to learn to think about quantities.

Dondilion
03-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Indiana schools for years now have been giving ISTEP tests. The schools spend the first 12 weeks preparing the students for the tests. But the results have shown little improvement in student achievement over the years.

But there are reports that the voucher school program allowing parents to use state tax dollars to send their children to charter schools is now in trouble. So this might just be another way of hiding unfavorable results so the voucher program can go forth. The Republicans are wanting to privatize the public schools it seems to me.

Barney

Oh Shit!
In the city of New York
The Repugs are in a union busting program via the Charters. They have invaded the public school buildings with Charters but the teachers in the
Charters have no union. :(

The new mayor has opposed this but he is faced with 24/7 tv advertisements
by the Charters portraying him as an ogre.

I ask myself where the Charters get so much money for adverts? :D

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I attended a few HSs in my time, hood, blue collar suburban, and a 1/2 year in a very good private school (as well as a couple state sponsored institutions).

I understand the why of common core. State tests were setup to hold the bad schools up to the light and force them to teach to at least a minimum level and it appears common core is somewhat the same thing on a larger scale.

However, it is Federal intrusion into a State sphere so I understand the worry. Voluntary? Don't TOUCH the money if you ever want to let go. The cash is a grappling hook, they cast it out and reel it in. Once taken it's theirs forever.

Pete

merrylander
03-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Oh Shit!
In the city of New York
The Repugs are in a union busting program via the Charters. They have invaded the public school buildings with Charters but the teachers in the

Three guesses and the first two do not count.

merrylander
03-26-2014, 11:22 AM
I attended a few HSs in my time, hood, blue collar suburban, and a 1/2 year in a very good private school (as well as a couple state sponsored institutions).

I understand the why of common core. State tests were setup to hold the bad schools up to the light and force them to teach to at least a minimum level and it appears common core is somewhat the same thing on a larger scale.

However, it is Federal intrusion into a State sphere so I understand the worry. Voluntary? Don't TOUCH the money if you ever want to let go. The cash is a grappling hook, they cast it out and reel it in. Once taken it's theirs forever.

Pete

Yessir States rights at its finest, the Constitution guarantees every state the right to the lousiest schools it wants.

Dondilion
03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
The curriculum is beyond ridiculous after seeing some of the scanned copies of mathematic methods they chose to include. I get what the approach was, give a problem and you must explain how you arrived at an answer. Or show how a problem was done incorrectly and explain where the person went wrong, good ideas. Making grid charts for multiplication and line charts for subtraction is total nonsense. Some things need to be racked into your brain through memory and regurgitation or you will be more confused when things get more complicated. Rather then learning laws and theories of mathematics its like learning tricks and tips.

Why do I say so called education professionals because that stinks of a political wolf in sheep's clothing. Do I think its a big conspiracy like you keep leading to, absolutely not. It just scares me that they have dramatically changed the way kids are educated and used federal money as their bait into the system.

I would have to see the whole program before coming to a conclusion about its quality. Personally I feel "blowing up" Mathematics is ok provided it is done in conjunction with some rote.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Rob, America at its' finest? :D

But central control has worked so well.

Pete

Ike Bana
03-26-2014, 11:59 AM

Pete

Well here you go with more right-wing idiocy about keeping education local. Yep...just what all the clockstoppers who want Genesis taught in public school science class want...local education. Just what all the voucher pimps want. The cretins who have no problem with their tax dollars being spent on the religious indoctrination of some delusional moron's kid.

The primary reason why this country doesn't compete educationally with the top systems of other 1st world countries anymore is because they all have, every one of them that is kicking our ass has...a centralized educational system. Where every kid gets the same quality instruction, using the same high quality books and materials as every other kid. Regardless of the wealth in their neighborhood...regardless of the color of their skin. The same dollars are spent on every child...and if it isn't more dollars, it's smarter dollars.

You right-wingers and your keep education local...you need to flush out your headgear.

bobabode
03-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Three guesses and the first two do not count.

BINGO!

The profit motive has worked so well incarcerating and rehabilitating malfeasers. :rolleyes:

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:11 PM
Homogeneity must be enforced at any cost.

Pete

merrylander
03-26-2014, 12:11 PM

Pete

When in hell have we ever had central control apart from Medicaire and Social Security - and they seem to work very well.

Boreas
03-26-2014, 12:12 PM
So, tell me. In principle, what's wrong with national standards for core curricula? What's so damned important about a "state's right" to warp their education system to serve a minority view in an area like science?

John

Boreas
03-26-2014, 12:15 PM
However, it is Federal intrusion into a State sphere so I understand the worry.

Why is education a "state sphere"? The countries that are kicking our ass in education, and there are quite a few, have national systems and standards. You don't suppose there's a connection, do you?

John

Boreas
03-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Pete

It has never been tried here, Pete.

John

BlueStreak
03-26-2014, 12:21 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/26/ypa3a5ud.jpg
Just an example I have seen

Looks to me that they are simply teaching kids that their are different ways to arrive at the same conclusion. "More than one way to skin a cat." as the old saying goes.

Sorry, but I fail to see what's wrong with that. It not only shows how to solve a problem, but opens the door for kids to use their own minds in arriving at solutions. This is called "innovation". So long as the traditional way of doing math is juxtaposed to this new approach, I think it's a good thing.

Or is it teaching the next generation independent thought and that there are viable alternatives to tradition that has the detractors crapping their pants?

Just wonderin' aloud.

Dave

BlueStreak
03-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Why is education a "state sphere"? The countries that are kicking our ass in education, and there are quite a few, have national systems and standards. You don't suppose there's a connection, do you?

John

In many cases, children are taught that they are individuals, yes, but also part of a greater whole. Where do you suppose all of this fragmenting and excessive emphasis on individual ambition and greed will take us? To my mind it can only lead to a fragmented and dysfunctional nation, wherein self interest trumps all else..................

Come to think of it, look around. We're already there. Not pretty, is it, John?

Dave

bobabode
03-26-2014, 12:32 PM
looks to me that they are simply teaching kids that their are different ways to arrive at the same conclusion. "more than one way to skin a cat." as the old saying goes.

Sorry, but i fail to see what's wrong with that. It not only shows how to solve a problem, but opens the door for kids to use their own minds in arriving at solutions. This is called "innovation". So long as the traditional way of doing math is juxtaposed to this new approach, i think it's a good thing.

or is it teaching the next generation independent thought and that there are viable alternatives to tradition that has the detractors crapping their pants?

just wonderin' aloud.

dave

bingo!

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
Independent thought by forcing conformity?

Pete

bobabode
03-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Pete

That's bullshit.

Dondilion
03-26-2014, 12:46 PM
That's bullshit.

Appropriate use of the word! :D

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Perhaps they'll enforce a minimum standard of our understanding of our system of government?

Pete

BlueStreak
03-26-2014, 12:53 PM

Pete

No, independent thought through allowing them to figure a problem out by developing their own method and critiquing how they do it. The conformity isn't being forced on the children. In fact, this method of teaching is decidedly non-conformist. Conformity would be teaching them one way, telling them it's the only way and failing them if they don't comply.

Get it, now?

Dave

bobabode
03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Appropriate use of the word! :D

I was going to say Orwellian bullshit but I didn't want anyone to think I'm an intellectual.;)

Oerets
03-26-2014, 12:56 PM
Oh Shit!
In the city of New York

The charters here now get funding from the state thru vouchers. With very little oversight or records kept. Most do not supply transportation. The students need to apply. Not all accepted. Teachers are employed at the whim of the schools. sometimes even independent contractors. Big business in getting tax dollars it now seems! Local public schools are getting stuck with students with special needs and low income earning families children.

Also the religious/creationist are wanting to teach their version of "science" or not teach to be more precise !

Barney

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 12:57 PM
I was going to say Orwellian bullshit but I didn't want to think I'm an intellectual.;)

Schowler.

:D

Pete

Dondilion
03-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Common Core: Myths vs Facts

http://www.corestandards.org/about-the-standards/myths-vs-facts/

bobabode
03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
schowler.

:d

pete
lol...

Ike Bana
03-26-2014, 02:38 PM
It has never been tried here, Pete.

John

Absolutely. And meantime, the Koreans, Germans, Swiss, Swedes, Japanese, Indians...just about all of them are kicking our ass in math and science.

But no...we can't have it because some ignoramus parents from Cabbageville, Kansas can't find anything about evolution in Genesis.

Ike Bana
03-26-2014, 02:41 PM
I was going to say Orwellian bullshit but I didn't want anyone to think I'm an intellectual.;)

Take caution. Intellectuals don't do well in theocracies. And there are still way, way too many delusional twits in this country who want that.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Many of those States are the size of... States.

Pete

merrylander
03-26-2014, 02:47 PM
I am like Dr. Albert Schweitzer, one day he asked a young African to assist him with some physical task. The young man said he could not do physical labour as he was an intellectual. Dr. Schweitzer responded saying how wonderful that was for the young man, he himself had always wanted to be an intellectual but never quite made it. The good doctor was also a very accomplished organist, philosopher, humanitarian. :)

Only he really was an intellectual.

Boreas
03-26-2014, 03:31 PM

Pete

So what?

John

Tom Joad
03-26-2014, 03:32 PM

Pete

That's funny coming from a right winger.

You all march in lockstep like an army of goose stepping storm troopers.

You'll find more diversity of thought among 5 liberals than you will among a thousand right wingers.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Unless the left wants something enforced on the Federal level. Then all bets are off.

At the State level I've actually voted for a tax increase or two before :eek: Don't tell the others.

Pete

BlueStreak
03-26-2014, 03:46 PM
That's funny coming from a right winger.

You all march in lockstep like an army of goose stepping storm troopers.

You'll find more diversity of thought among 5 liberals than you will among a thousand right wingers.

Tom, my favorite thing I used to do was to listen to Limbaugh on my way to work. (Yeah, I know. ICK!!) When I got there, at some point I would get a conversation going about whatever topic was discussed on his show within the last few days, without being obvious, then just sit back and listen.........

Verbatim recitation. Like giant parakeets, repeating every word, every catch phrase, every bit of sloganistic horseshit exactly as they had been taught. Sometimes, it was downright creepy.

I know you're retired, but maybe there is somewhere else you could try this.
Anyhow, it's always a hoot.

Dave

Ike Bana
03-26-2014, 04:04 PM

Pete

So what?

John

John...as opposed to whell, who is in the habit of sticking his words into my mouth...you took the words right outta my mouth.

piece-itpete
03-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Back to central planning.

Pete

Ike Bana
03-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Unless the left wants something enforced on the Federal level. Then all bets are off.

I want a centralized educational system for all American children, enforced on the Federal level. You'll have to decide if I'm "the left" or not.

Tom Joad
03-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Like giant parakeets, repeating every word, every catch phrase, every bit of sloganistic horseshit exactly as they had been taught. Sometimes, it was downright creepy.

Giant Parakeets!

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/smilielol.gif

I love it!

You're a man after my own heart BlueStreak.

d-ray657
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM

I suppose I have a different understanding of it. I do think that the methods are teaching the kids critical thinking, and teaching them the concept behind mathematics. I know that in math and science classes that required formulas, I tried to learn the concept behind the formulas - how they worked - and then I didn't have to rely on rote memorization.

Regards,

D-Ray