PDA

View Full Version : Witness true Hypocrisy in action!!!

Writewing
01-10-2010, 02:39 AM
The top Democrat in the U.S. Senate apologized on Saturday for comments he made about Barack Obama's race during the 2008 presidential bid.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect." adding "unless he wanted to have one"
Reid offered this statement
"I deeply regret using such a poor choice of words. I sincerely apologize for offending any and all Americans, especially African-Americans for my improper comments," Reid said in a statement released after the excerpts were reported on the Web site of The Atlantic.

"I was a proud and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama during the campaign and have worked as hard as I can to advance President Obama's legislative agenda."

Now lets take a second and imagine Sen John Boehner had said the exact same thing, Reid will get a pass for this for sure because he likes blue neckties.............................would Boehner???????????
Hmmmmm I wonder?

noonereal
01-10-2010, 05:18 AM
Do you realize you are nothing but a rewrite of the Glen Beck show ever since you appeared here?

Do you ever have anything of value to add?

Do you have any opinions of your own?

Can you imagine life on your own?

Can't you find a home on the net where mindless chanting is not as disruptive to a site? Your posts never express any authenticity. Do you really feel this approach is of any value to anyone anywhere? Do you really feel this parrot hate leads to any discussion?

Do you understand what a message board is?

Maybe a blog would suit you better? :cool:

HatchetJack
01-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Well I think it's worthy of further review. Are the democrats starting to lash
out at one another? Looks to me like they may be starting to lose control.
Obama handled it well, at least he was a man about it didnt play the victim.
Minorities should take notice and look the other way when it happens. Seems
like the only group of people that doesnt get offended by name calling is my
own. Redneck the best thing you can come up with, come on. We can take it.

noonereal
01-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Name calling and descriptive languish to make a point are just not the same. At least not to me.

Boreas
01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Well I think it's worthy of further review. Are the democrats starting to lash out at one another? Looks to me like they may be starting to lose control.

Jack, this happened way back during the campaign. The remark was made in the course of a private conversation. It's only coming out now because it's about to appear in a book.

And I'd hardly call it lashing out. That would be something like calling Obama "Chocolate Jesus" or "Barack the Magic Negro"

John

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Jack, this happened way back during the campaign. The remark was made in the course of a private conversation. It's only coming out now because it's about to appear in a book.

John

But does that excuse it ?

Boreas
01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
But does that excuse it ?

That wasn't my point. Jack had wondered whether this was an indication that Democrats were "starting to lash out at one another". This happened more than a year ago.

Also, though the remark was racially insensitive, it can in no way be considered lashing out. In it's own screwed up way it was probably meant as a compliment just like Biden's remark that Obama was articulate and clean. Really, all these remarks show is just how unconscious racism can be.

John

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Also, though the remark was racially insensitive, it can in no way be considered lashing out. In it's own screwed up way it was probably meant as a compliment just like Biden's remark that Obama was articulate and clean. Really, all these remarks show is just how unconscious racism can be.

John

Would you have made the above statement if the comments were made by a con ?

Boreas
01-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Would you have made the above statement if the comments were made by a con ?

Yes.

John

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes.

John

Gonna call BS on that one :D

Boreas
01-10-2010, 08:57 AM

Sorry to hear it. I would take you at your word and hope to receive the same consideration from you.

John

HatchetJack
01-10-2010, 09:06 AM
There is such a double standard out there. Napey headed ho? what a witch
hunt that was. He meant no hate by that comment but it's somehow ok for
everyone to burn him at the stake. And John Rocker, drinking around the
campfire says a few things trying to be comical and some pantywaste
reporter blows it all out of proportion. John gets mad and says a few more
things and suddenly he's the devil himself and everyone wants to see him
flame in hell. I see more hate coming back in retaliation. Hell I like fried
chicken and collard greens, whats the big deal?

merrylander
01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
The funny thing is that a black news anchor on CNN this morning said that what Ried said, while insensitive, was most likely true. And hate to think it but he is probably right.

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 09:21 AM
The funny thing is that a black news anchor on CNN this morning said that what Ried said, while insensitive, was most likely true. And hate to think it but he is probably right.

I am sorry but that only reinforces my point imo.

A con makes that statement and next thing you know, its on every station, except fox, and there are cries to run them out of town on a rail.

Boreas
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM

A con makes that statement and next thing you know, its on every station, except fox, and there are cries to run them out of town on a rail.

You guys say stuff like that all the time. It is on every station!

On Fox they'd run the story but they'd put a "D" after his name on the chiron, just like they did with Foley and Sanford.

John

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
I am not defending one party or the next, unlike anyone else, only trying to show there is a double standard at work here.

Boreas
01-10-2010, 09:43 AM
I am not defending one party or the next, unlike anyone else, only trying to show there is a double standard at work here.

And you're wrong. Like I said, the Reid thing is all over the news so your idea that only a con would get hammered for this kind of thing doesn't hold water.

John

doucanoe
01-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Writewing's point is very valid and it doesn't matter where it was sourced from. This brand of hypocrisy has been with us for years. The real shame is that it weakens the message for both sides. If progress in this area is what they are after, no progress can be made. They, time after time, prove by their actions that it all means nothing apparently.

Sorry, John. I going to have to agree with this ;)

Boreas
01-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Writewing's point is very valid and it doesn't matter where it was sourced from.

His point is that Reid will get a pass because he's a Democrat and a Republican wouldn't. There may be other points one could try to make from this but that's the one he made - and he's wrong. Reid is not getting a pass.

What have you heard about John Ensign lately?

Sorry, John. I going to have to agree with this ;)

Really? Based on what?

John

BlueStreak
01-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't care.

Dave

merrylander
01-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Dunno about the TV in your area, but he sure is not getting a pass hereabouts. I still have to agree with that newsanchor, no matter how you slice it Ried was right, stupid but right.

Someone did a study asking people to put christian names on in "I trust" or "I don't trust" piles. Trevor and John and Susan or Shevonne and Ahmed and DeShaun. I will leave you to guess which went where. Racism is alive and well.

My personal opinion is that Ried is a lousy leader, if he had any cojones he would have stripped Lieberman of his committees. Senator Nelson is a slimeball and is no more anti-abortion that I am, he just wanted to have his palms greased. The other side of the aisle are no better Dr. No and Dr. No No (McConnell and Boehner) have said nothing constructive since the election, nor have they proposed any alternative but "Let's take our time".

The majority of the folks on the hill are not worth the powder to blow them to hell. Whether they are red or blue is irrelevant.

I came down here for purely personal reasons that are nobody's business but mine. That said I have contributed to the country and asked nowt in return. I surely did not come here to watch the demise of this nation and I will not be shy in saying "That is wrong" when I know that something is very wrong. I do have one advantage, if everyone insists on screwing everything up beyond belief I still have a country to go to.

"I am not a member of any organized political party, I am a Democrat" Will Rogers.

Boreas
01-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Now lets take a second and imagine Sen John Boehner had said the exact same thing, Reid will get a pass for this for sure because he likes blue neckties.............................would Boehner???????????
Hmmmmm I wonder?

I've been resisting this ever since I first read it but I can't hold back any longer.

Senator Boehner, eh? You being such an astute political observer and being from Ohio to boot, I'm surprised you don't know that Agent Orange is a congressman, not a senator.

I'm really disillusioned.

John

Writewing
01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I've been resisting this ever since I first read it but I can't hold back any longer.

Senator Boehner, eh? You being such an astute political observer and being from Ohio to boot, I'm surprised you don't know that Agent Orange is a congressman, not a senator.

I'm really disillusioned.

John

Yep you are right, as soon as I went to bed it hit me I slipped up but it was really late so I didnt worry about it. Your 100% correct to pounce but I can assure you I simply had Senate on the brain and wasnt careful.

Charles
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
No doubt there is a double standard in play, but now that I've figured out what this is all about I've come to the conclusion that it is nothing but...

politics as usual.

We should all count our blessings that the politicians and the media have nothing better to deal with than this nickle ante crapola. They wouldn't have the time if something serious were to happen, like a war or a near depression.

Chas

BlueStreak
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't care.

Dave

Charles
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't care.

Dave

Haven't changed you mind, huh?

Chas

Grumpy
01-10-2010, 08:50 PM
And you're wrong. Like I said, the Reid thing is all over the news so your idea that only a con would get hammered for this kind of thing doesn't hold water.

John

That was not my point. My point was a con is crucified for saying this stuff, while a lib gets a pass.

They both should be strung up by their short hairs.

HatchetJack
01-10-2010, 08:57 PM
The one that claims to be offended is just as guilty.

Charles
01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I've been called a LOT worse, and they really meant it, too.

Chas

Boreas
01-10-2010, 09:09 PM
That was not my point. My point was a con is crucified for saying this stuff, while a lib gets a pass.

The Republicans are demanding that Reid step down. The media are turning it into a circus.

They both should be strung up by their short hairs.

When they do something that warrants it, yes. What Reid said is nothing and I think you know it. This is a manufactured scandal and I'm done talking about it.

John

BlueStreak
01-10-2010, 10:32 PM
I aint been followin' it long. 'Cuz once I heard that he said it when Obama was a Senator,
I thought; "Now THAT is totally pathetic. Those assholes are really reaching now."
Then I turned the channel to "Palladia" to watch "Woodstock".

Dave

doucanoe
01-11-2010, 07:33 AM
90% of the people paying attention, will forget about this whole matter a day after they stop talking about it. A week after that, 80% of the 90% paying attention, won't be able to describe the details of what happened or who was involved.

I have to believe that both parties love this stuff. Each can bark, stomp their feet, piss and moan with no real harm done to the other. It's a win/win for them. If there were no news (good or bad) coming out of Washington, people might start asking "By the way, what the hell did you guys get done today".

RC

piece-itpete
01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Minorities should take notice and look the other way when it happens. Seems
like the only group of people that doesnt get offended by name calling is my
own. Redneck the best thing you can come up with, come on. We can take it.

Fyi, black folks are really very tolerant, tolerant to a degree we'd never be. In my experience.

Jack, this happened way back during the campaign. The remark was made in the course of a private conversation.

Oh, alrighty then.

... Ried was right, stupid but right.

It is a 100% true comment and the only reason it's stupid is because of the PC machine he helped build. I hope he chokes on it.

I've been called a LOT worse, and they really meant it, too.

Lmao! Just the other day someone said I was light skinned and spoke without a 'dialect' :D

I said 'I don' hold wi' that'.

Listening to black talk radio this AM. Listening to the backflips was quite frankly hilarious.

Pete

Grumpy
01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
The Republicans are demanding that Reid step down. The media are turning it into a circus.

When they do something that warrants it, yes. What Reid said is nothing and I think you know it. This is a manufactured scandal and I'm done talking about it.

John

Sorry but you and I both know the cons can whine till the cows come home, nothing will be done about it.

I find it laughable that you think what he said was nothing. Guess were just going to have to agree to disagree.

Writewing
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
What a short memory the left has, remember when they ran Trent Lott out of office when they went out of their way to try to connect Lott with racism when he simply was referring to a conservstive message that had no connection to race? I dont think Lott should have lost his job nor would I have thought Reid should loose his, being an idiot isnt a crime. But seeing how Lott suffered then whats good for the goose..........

Charles
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
What a short memory the left has, remember when they ran Trent Lott out of office when they went out of their way to try to connect Lott with racism when he simply was referring to a conservstive message that had no connection to race? I dont think Lott should have lost his job nor would I have thought Reid should loose his, being an idiot isnt a crime. But seeing how Lott suffered then whats good for the goose..........

If being an idiot were a crime, who would be left to govern us?

Chas

Fast_Eddie
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada described then-Sen. Barack Obama as "light skinned" and "with no Negro dialect." adding "unless he wanted to have one"

I don't get this wole thing. Is Obama, or is he not "light skinned"? Does he or does he not speak without what could be called a "Negro dialect"? I will say that the later is a poor choice of words and I'd certainly have phrased it differently. But I don't see what the big deal is.

There have been studies that indeed prove that "lighter skinned" black politicians are more accepted by white voters than darker skinned black politicians. Reid simply commeted that if we were ready to elect a black President, Obama is the kind of candidate that would have a good chance. Whadda know, he was right.

Watever.

Fast_Eddie
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM

I vaguely recall the Lott deal so I may have it wrong and don't really feel like looking it up. Didn't Lott say that we would have avoided a lot of "problems" if Strom Thermond, who ran as a segrigationist, had been elected Presidet? I'm not sure that's really a double standard. One suggested that white people might be inclinded to vote for a black candedate who possessed certain qualities. The other said we'd be better off if a segragationist had won the White House. Seems quite a bit different to me.

I should repeat- if I have the Lott thing wrong, than I'm off base here.

Writewing
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't get this wole thing. Is Obama, or is he not "light skinned"? Does he or does he not speak without what could be called a "Negro dialect"? I will say that the later is a poor choice of words and I'd certainly have phrased it differently. But I don't see what the big deal is.

There have been studies that indeed prove that "lighter skinned" black politicians are more accepted by white voters than darker skinned black politicians. Reid simply commeted that if we were ready to elect a black President, Obama is the kind of candidate that would have a good chance. Whadda know, he was right.

Watever.

If its no big deal how come Harry said he was sorry over and over and over, I mean if he didnt say anything wrong why didnt he just say "Fuck you I didnt say anything wrong"?
I think Obama speaks really well for a Negro........nothing wrong with that right?.......afterall he is black and does speak well. I think a Negro would be great at owning a fried chicken eatery..........nothing wrong with that right? Afterall Blacks can be good business owners and folks love to eat chicken.

Charles
01-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I vaguely recall the Lott deal so I may have it wrong and don't really feel like looking it up. Didn't Lott say that we would have avoided a lot of "problems" if Strom Thermond, who ran as a segrigationist, had been elected Presidet? I'm not sure that's really a double standard. One suggested that white people might be inclinded to vote for a black candedate who possessed certain qualities. The other said we'd be better off if a segragationist had won the White House. Seems quite a bit different to me.

I think that Loot did step in it a little deeper than Reid.

Just a bit off subject, but has "Sheets" Byrd ever atoned for his time in the "Invisible Empire"?

Chas

Writewing
01-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Robert Byrd of West Virginia was an actual member of the KKK yet he is still in power to this day.

Charles
01-11-2010, 05:06 PM
If its no big deal how come Harry said he was sorry over and over and over, I mean if he didnt say anything wrong why didnt he just say "Fuck you I didnt say anything wrong"?
I think Obama speaks really well for a Negro........nothing wrong with that right?.......afterall he is black and does speak well. I think a Negro would be great at owning a fried chicken eatery..........nothing wrong with that right? Afterall Blacks can be good business owners and folks love to eat chicken.

After reading this several times, I will admit that you do have a point. But you might want to polish your delivery.

Chas

Writewing
01-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Thank you for giving me an inch:)

Writewing
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
What Reid was actually saying goes far deeper than anyone on the left will admit. what he is saying is in fact that Obama is his kind of Negro, good enough to get his support. This would be easy to see with an open mind.
Also just as Obama is Reids kind of Negro then one can easily draw the conclusion there are many Blacks that are not his kind of Negro. This is something that sadly runs deep in our countries veins but Reid is in a postion of power and thus should be held accountable for his actions.
When Imus said something that you would likely hear at any inner city night of stand up comedy "nappy headed Ho" the left attempted to destroy him, hell the idiot Gov of NJ damn near killed himself speeding to a news confernce at nearly 100mph with no seatbelt to rail against Don Imus....... and for what?...............a joke that a black would easily get away with.
From what I gather in private conversations in the real world many see right through this double standard and its only going to enforce the growing storm against the Left wing and their avalanche of arrogance, stupidity and general loathing of the little folks who put them in power. It also serves a more dangerous purpose of watering down the race arguement with growing cynicism and disregard for potential true issues because it has been molested and twisted so many ways for so long for so many agenda motivated reasons that it wont truely have as much power as indeed at times it merits.
So go ahead and bury your head in the sand but Reid will get his soon enough, its gonna be a cold night in November!

Fast_Eddie
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
What Reid was actually saying goes far deeper than anyone on the left will admit. what he is saying is in fact that Obama is his kind of Negro, good enough to get his support.

You're really into this thing aren't you?

You are wrong. That is NOT what he said. He was making an (accurate) observation about the voting public. He certainly DID NOT call anyone a nappy headed ho. Commenting on a reality is not the same thing as endorsing it. How can anyone look at his record on civil rights and say otherwise? Let me answer that for you- they can't.

You can keep beating this dead horse if you like but it's pointless. You've kinda gone off the deep end with it. It's unfortunate because it's really an interesting event that could open the door to some substantive discussion about race issues in America. The other question you asked - why didn't he tell them to jump in a lake - was (while idiotic) almost on point. Of course, a high school student could tell you why. He's an elected politician. He may indeed want to be elected again. Of course, you already know that so I'm not sure why you asked it in that way.

The real question is- why aren't more people from both sides calling Bull Shit on this? I understand why Republicans aren't. But I'm pissed at folks on the left for holding their tongue.

[/RANT] Okay, I get it. I sounded the same way when Bush was in office. You've gotten yourself way too wrapped up in this one. There's nothing in it. Let it go. Seriously, I understand this. I did it all the time for eight years.

There's plenty of legitimate stuff to bitch about if you don't like Obama. I'm not so sure how I feel about sending thousands more troops to Afghanistan, for instance. I'm guessing in 20, 50 or 100 years people will talk in educated circles about the wisdom of that decision. I'm guessing that the President has had his share of sleepless nights about a decision that will mean life or death to numbers yet unknown.

Bail outs, health care, stimulus- there have been big, bold, far reaching strokes that will have effects on our nation for years to come. More fertile grounds for your arguments of descent. Plenty of things that matter to worry about. This one isn't one of them.

Nothing to see here folks, move along. Let CNN, FOX and MSNBC play their games with this crap. We don't have to be taken in by it.

Take care,

Ed

BlueStreak
01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't care.

Dave

d-ray657
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Nothing to see here folks, move along. Let CNN, FOX and MSNBC play their games with this crap. We don't have to be taken in by it.

Take care,

Ed

Yeah, It's not like he said something about a Chocolate Jesus. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Writewing
01-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Yeah, It's not like he said something about a Chocolate Jesus. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

"Hey you got your peanut butter in my Jesus!"
"Hey you got your Jesus in my peanut butter!" YUMMY!

merrylander
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM

Excuse me but I think it is you that has the short memory. Lott claimed that the country would have been better of if we had elected a man who was an outright racist as president, conservative message my arse.

piece-itpete
01-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Robert Byrd of West Virginia was an actual member of the KKK yet he is still in power to this day.

A stalwart of the Left, an icon.

"Hey you got your peanut butter in my Jesus!"
"Hey you got your Jesus in my peanut butter!" YUMMY!

Yikes! So started the Church of the Sacred Cup.

Half of Hollywood signed up immediately. The other half in a week or two.

Glover saw Mother Theresa in a Baby Ruth shortly thereafter.

Pete

d-ray657
01-12-2010, 08:34 AM
So what would happen if someone in office referred to the President as Chocolate Jesus?

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
01-12-2010, 08:52 AM
Race baiting, the great American pass time.

Chas

merrylander
01-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Byrd is acknowleddged as a constitutional expert, as to why he is still in office ask the people of West Virginia, it may have something to do with all the pork he brings home. There is your answer to our screwed up government, the voters will vote for the guy who brings them all the pork, the hell with the rest of the country. Some of the States that bitch about taxes are the biggest benificiaries, they get back more money from the feds than they pay in, Alaska frex.

I still maintain that the Framers screwed up when they let Congress write its own rules.

piece-itpete
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
D-Ray, that would be pretty darn dumb.

But a comedian, funny:

"In New York, Catholic groups have forced an art gallery to shut down an exhibition of a six-foot image of Jesus in chocolate. Or, as Democrats call it, Barack Obama." --Bill Maher

Pete

merrylander
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Well Jesus was a mediterranian jew so I doubt he was very light skinned given the climate.

piece-itpete
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM
No frank discussions on physical differences Rob! :eek:

Well, I guess it's OK, as long as we avoid talk of big noses :D

Pete

Writewing
01-12-2010, 11:21 AM
I am just glad our president doesnt have that pesky Negro dialect:)

Grumpy
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM
No frank discussions on physical differences Rob! :eek:

Well, I guess it's OK, as long as we avoid talk of big noses :D

Pete

Why is he part polish to ?

merrylander
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Why is he part polish to ?

:D :D :D

piece-itpete
01-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Lmao!!

Pete

Boreas
01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
The real question is- why aren't more people from both sides calling Bull Shit on this? I understand why Republicans aren't. But I'm pissed at folks on the left for holding their tongue.

Several Republican senators have come to Reid's defense. Cornyn, (or Coburn?), Ensign and McCain have all said the attacks are undeserved. I'm sure there are others.

It's a manufactured issue. The thing that galled me most was Bill Bennett going on CNN and denouncing Reid's remarks as racist. In case you've forgotten, this is the guy who said (on the air on, the record) that it was undeniable that aborting all black babies would reduce the crime rate here.

John

merrylander
01-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Is Bennett still around? I would have thought he had crawled back into the woodwork by now.