PDA

View Full Version : Look at how lucky we are...........

Writewing
01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Today we sit around with debate banter and attacks on Political issues, warm and confortable in our home or office and doing pretty damn good in general.
Take a second to look at Haiti and it becomes quickly apparent how truely lucky we all are.

Charles
01-13-2010, 02:29 PM
That's a real mess down there. And it's a mess on a good day.

Poor people.

Chas

Sandy G
01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Uhh-Huh...

rickr15
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Reports are claiming deaths in the 100's of thousands. If its that bad the mess is just getting started. Looting and disease are soon to follow.

noonereal
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Today we sit around with debate banter and attacks on Political issues, warm and confortable in our home

to be fair, there is a draft here :D

Writewing
01-13-2010, 04:17 PM

LMAO! Love it!

Charles
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM

They took your union suit?

Chas

Fast_Eddie
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
...it becomes quickly apparent how truely lucky we all are.

Wish someone would let the Tea Party folks in on that. They seem to think things are terrible.

Writewing
01-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh the Tea Party is soooooo evil:D

Fast_Eddie
01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh the Tea Party is soooooo evil:D

I didn't say that. They do complain a lot though. I've reflected on this before. Glen Beck, on the flat screen plazma TV said I'm paying too much in taxes! Quick honey, let's get the his and hers Harleys out of the garage and head down to the Tea Party! We'll stop off at Denny's and grab a 3500 calorie meal on the way!

Writewing
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
I didn't say that. They do complain a lot though. I've reflected on this before. Glen Beck, on the flat screen plazma TV said I'm paying too much in taxes! Quick honey, let's get the his and hers Harleys out of the garage and head down to the Tea Party! We'll stop off at Denny's and grab a 3500 calorie meal on the way!

They should complain if they feel things need to change, protest at the top of your voice about War, our leaders and whatever you wish because atleast we are free to do that in this country.

d-ray657
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
They should complain if they feel things need to change, protest at the top of your voice about War, our leaders and whatever you wish because atleast we are free to do that in this country.

Indeed, stupidity is not illegal.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
01-13-2010, 05:29 PM

but it is dangerous.

Fast_Eddie
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
...protest at the top of your voice about War

Huh. I kinda liked War. I heard Low Rider on the radio the other day.

d-ray657
01-13-2010, 05:37 PM

"Why Can't We Be Friends?"

Let's just hope we're not "Slipping into Darkness."

Regards,

D-Ray

Charles
01-13-2010, 05:55 PM

Regards,

D-Ray

Come on, D-Ray, you're a better man than that.

I was all in favor of the protests in the 60's, and I'm in favor of them now. Let the average mug have his say.

Chas

HatchetJack
01-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Hah, thats my 3 year old's favorite song. He loves it.

d-ray657
01-13-2010, 06:19 PM

That explains your rant about twist-ties on toys.

Regards,

D-Ray

d-ray657
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Come on, D-Ray, you're a better man than that.

I was all in favor of the protests in the 60's, and I'm in favor of them now. Let the average mug have his say.

Chas

I probably should have been more precise in identifying the behavior/attitude to which I directed my comment. Those who blindly follow talking heads to protests without any thought about the consequences of what they are protesting, have every right to do so, but they are also exercising their right to stupidity when they do. I'll admit, however, that probably more than one guy hit the anti-war protests with a motive more like getting a piece than bringing about peace.

It is a line I also use when people call wanting to sue their employer for firing them and keeping a buddy, when the caller believed he or she could work circles around the buddy, or some other such reason. There are specific types of employer conduct that are illegal, but stupidity is not one of them.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
01-13-2010, 06:28 PM

kid's are cool.

If your son likes it, I like it. :)

Charles
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I probably should have been more precise in identifying the behavior/attitude to which I directed my comment. Those who blindly follow talking heads to protests without any thought about the consequences of what they are protesting, have every right to do so, but they are also exercising their right to stupidity when they do. I'll admit, however, that probably more than one guy hit the anti-war protests with a motive more like getting a piece than bringing about peace.

It is a line I also use when people call wanting to sue their employer for firing them and keeping a buddy, when the caller believed he or she could work circles around the buddy, or some other such reason. There are specific types of employer conduct that are illegal, but stupidity is not one of them.

Regards,

D-Ray

Have you ever considered the possibility that many who show up at these rallys do so not because they are blindly following the talking head, but because they feel that the talking head has finally addressed a concern of theirs?

The right, nor even the left, are not all lemmings.

Chas

noonereal
01-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Have you ever considered the possibility that many who show up at these rally do so not because they are blindly following the talking head, but because they feel that the talking head has finally addressed a concern of theirs?

Partially yes. I think that the talking heads rally them through misinformation. They are able to do this by appealing to underlying concerns then misdirecting them.

Fast_Eddie
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Chas

Then why do they work so hard to make people think they are? Wasn't it Rush Limbaugh fans who started self identifying as "Ditto Heads"? Is it any wonder that right wing media is thriving while Air America failed? Why is that? Is it possible that college educated, liberal thinking people who make up the core of the Democratic base are not so easily led?

Who are the lemmings?

d-ray657
01-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Have you ever considered the possibility that many who show up at these rallys do so not because they are blindly following the talking head, but because they feel that the talking head has finally addressed a concern of theirs?

Chas

OK, I'm gonna lawyer myself out of this one. My quote referred to "those who . . . " That does not include those who appear out of other reasons. I will maintain, however, that the rhetoric the talking heads use to promote such events does not invite critical analysis.

Regards,

D-Ray

Writewing
01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
The spirit of this thread was intended to simply take a second to understand we could have it alot worse, some of you openly accuse me of always trying to start a fight but I once again see those same folks calling people stupid and generally being nesty.

Boreas
01-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Chas

They point to valid concerns, distort their significance and then appoint an official scapegoat.

John

Charles
01-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Then why do they work so hard to make people think they are? Wasn't it Rush Limbaugh fans who started self identifying as "Ditto Heads"? Is it any wonder that right wing media is thriving while Air America failed? Why is that? Is it possible that college educated, liberal thinking people who make up the core of the Democratic base are not so easily led?

Who are the lemmings?

I know a lot of college educated, conservative thinking people who make up the core of the Republican base. Never overestimate yourself, or underestimate your adversary.

As far as a Dittohead, both sides seem to be able to summon a vast selection of nitwits and lemmings to the booth in November.

And while my time within the ivy covered halls was limited, I would like to make an observation. A college education and a college indoctrination are not the same. Are not most professors liberal in their views?

Just an observation.

Chas

Boreas
01-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Are not most professors liberal in their views?

Just an observation.

Chas

Just goes to show you that learning how to think tends to lead one toward liberalism. ;)

John

Charles
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
They point to valid concerns, distort their significance and then appoint an official scapegoat.

John

And everyone in attendance feels precisely the same way?

Does everyone who shows up at an Obama rally and cheers feel precisely the same way?

I doubt it. Just a bunch of people who actually show up at rallys and cheer for the home team. They use the mouthpiece they have on hand.

Ain't never been to a rally, and I ain't going now. If I go anywhere, I go to Bull Shoals. It's a tough bite, but no one else goes there, so I get some peace and quiet. Then I turn out and vote against the bastards in November.

I just dick around here because I get a kick out of being given a hard way to go. That, and I'm bored. And you are a convivial bunch.

Chas

Charles
01-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Just goes to show you that learning how to think tends to lead one toward liberalism. ;)

John

Keep on following the dream, bubby!!!!

chas

Boreas
01-13-2010, 08:58 PM
And everyone in attendance feels precisely the same way?

Hitler did it to an entire country.

(Now, calm down. I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler. I'm just commenting on the potential of a demagogue and the power of mob psychology.)

John

Writewing
01-13-2010, 09:25 PM
You mean like the power of Unions?

Charles
01-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Hitler did it to an entire country.

(Now, calm down. I'm not comparing anyone to Hitler. I'm just commenting on the potential of a demagogue and the power of mob psychology.)

John

Well, Hitler didn't sell it to all of the Krauts.

And to the best of my learned understanding, Hitler was one of the few of a very select group of true demagogues.

Either people have become more sophisticated (doubtful), or they just don't make demagogues like they used to. Even Obama can't make the cut. So far.

I know, it's a cheap shot. But do you actually think that the likes of Glenn Beck are going to turn over the apple cart?

If anyone turns over the apple cart, it will be the politicians. So long as they can leave the vast majority sitting fat and happy in their lazybums watching crapola on the iggitt box with a smothered burrito hanging half out of their mouths, ain't nobody gonna do nothing besides bitch.

If you leave the vast majority broke, cold, and hungry, they won't need a Beck, or Obama, to come looking to make things right.

Myself, I like an upright apple cart, and smooth sailing. I'm the status quo, baby, I'm vested in this shitty game.

Chas

Boreas
01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
You mean like the power of Unions?

No, I don't mean like the power of unions.

Boreas
01-13-2010, 09:33 PM
But do you actually think that the likes of Glenn Beck are going to turn over the apple cart?

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that that's what he intends.

Myself, I like an upright apple cart, and smooth sailing. I'm the status quo, baby, I'm vested in this shitty game.

That's the way you roll? ;)

Writewing
01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
No, I don't mean like the power of unions.

But surely the Unions have mastered the art of "the power of mob psychology" so I just assumed you were including them in your remarks.

BlueStreak
01-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Yeah, my place is drafty too. And I thnk I've farted on this seat cushion a few too many times.:eek:

Dave

BlueStreak
01-14-2010, 12:17 AM
The spirit of this thread was intended to simply take a second to understand we could have it alot worse, some of you openly accuse me of always trying to start a fight but I once again see those same folks calling people stupid and generally being nesty.

I need to get "nesty". This place is a mess.

Dave

Writewing
01-14-2010, 12:25 AM
Sorry, must have been my Negro dialect

BlueStreak
01-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah, Haiti is a mess. And I can't imagine that it's going to get cleaned up in a timely manor. I see our government has generously offered to pay the bill though............

Having travelled the world whilst in the service of my country, I've seen all too many countries like Haiti. It is truly shocking and eye opening to see what other people have to live with. And all too easy for folks from the "Western World" to get jaded and lose sight of how good we have it.

One of my favorite quotes from one of the morons I work with; "We're gonna end up like Canada!!"

I asked,
"Ever been there?"

"No."

"It' s a beautiful place. Very nice people. Heck, you can hardly tell you've left the U.S.."

"Oh." Turns and walks away...............

Dave

d-ray657
01-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Yeah, Haiti is a mess. And I can't imagine that it's going to get cleaned up in a timely manor. I see our government has generously offered to pay the bill though............

Having travelled the world whilst in the service of my country, I've seen all too many countries like Haiti. It is truly shocking and eye opening to see what other people have to live with. And all too easy for folks from the "Western World" to get jaded and lose sight of how good we have it.

One of my favorite quotes from one of the morons I work with; "We're gonna end up like Canada!!"

I asked,
"Ever been there?"

"No."

"It' s a beautiful place. Very nice people. Heck, you can hardly tell you've left the U.S.."

Dave

Hey, what's the big idea, Dave. You trying to get to the point of this post. Just trying to make the rest of us look bad, I suppose.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
01-14-2010, 07:21 AM

I asked,
"Ever been there?"

"No."

Dave

He should be so lucky.:rolleyes: