PDA

View Full Version : New Climate Report

bobabode
05-06-2014, 04:23 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-climate-report-says-global-warming-impact-already-severe/2014/05/06/0e82cd3c-d49c-11e3-aae8-c2d44bd79778_story.html?hpid=z1

It's happening and it's happening now.

It may not be obvious to some here out in the middle of the country but driving around the state recently and seeing several reservoirs virtually empty and the almost non existent snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. You bet we are in trouble, big trouble.

Here's a link to this report.
http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, right. I bet you have Al Gore on speed-dial don't you? Ha, Ha!

Man, I'm thirsty. The weather has been so screwy the last few years. Must be something that damn Obama did?

:rolleyes:

Dave

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 05:44 PM
I thought it was an ice age we where heading into:confused:

No it's global warming thats right. :confused:

Wait a minute it's climate change that's right this way no matter what happens we will blame mankind. ;)

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, it's just that stupid kid crying "WOLF!" again.

Pay no attention to him, he's just part of the vast leftwing conspiracy.

Dave

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Dave

Bobby is crying wolf, and it's happening NOW!!

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Climate Change

http://images.spaceref.com/news/oosnowballearth.jpg

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/exposure/content/photo/photo/439449_snow-ball-earth49_epsicuaitwlfo42x7yedw6mpvtncurxrbvj6lwuht2 ya6mzmafma_610x343.jpg

The only reason man and all life has been able to thrive on this planet is the worming period of time we are in. The planet earth fluctuates in temperatures with or without mans involvement.

bobabode
05-06-2014, 06:03 PM
This forum needs a de worming. Work's on getting the parasites out of the puddy tat's around here...:rolleyes:

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 06:04 PM
This forum needs a de worming. Work's on getting the parasite's out of the puddy tat's around here...:rolleyes:

Please stay on topic, especially the ones you post.

bobabode
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Dave

Buwahahahahahaaaaaa. Eat the rich...well, feed 'em to the swine. They make good pork bellies.:cool:

Is that moronic troll still at it? I swear he's got a weird thang for me. Mebbe I look like his daddy? ;):rolleyes:

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 06:30 PM
I just wonder if man could live on a mile thickness of ice? Could we?

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
I dunno. Why don't you give it a go?

Try this place;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

Dave

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I dunno. Why don't you give it a go?

Try this place;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

Dave

I don't think I would like to go to Europe,Europeans are not my cup of tea.

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 06:45 PM
They eat snails. Who want's to hang with snail eaters?

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Jesus. I think this place just hit a new low.

Dave

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 06:49 PM
They eat snails. Who want's to hang with snail eaters?

And croissants :D

Jesus. I think this place just hit a new low.

Dave

You lead the way :rolleyes:

BlueStreak
05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
The dog is out front, I just jerk the leash to make him go my way.

Dave

Tom Joad
05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-climate-report-says-global-warming-impact-already-severe/2014/05/06/0e82cd3c-d49c-11e3-aae8-c2d44bd79778_story.html?hpid=z1
It may not be obvious to some here out in the middle of the country but driving around the state recently and seeing several reservoirs virtually empty and the almost non existent snowpack in the Sierra Nevada. You bet we are in trouble, big trouble

It's obvious here in Central Florida too.

When I was a kid growing up we would have at least a half a dozen freezes every year. We even had snow flurries here when I was in High School.

Nowadays we go for several years between freezes and snow flurries are unheard of.

bobabode
05-06-2014, 07:31 PM

When I was a kid growing up we would have at least a half a dozen freezes every year. We even had snow flurries here when I was in High School.

Nowadays we go for several years between freezes and snow flurries are unheard of.

I think you would've felt right at home for part of our camping trip Tom. We took a detour through a place called Orange Cove in the central valley. Miles and miles of orange and lemon groves in full bloom. It was spectacular man. The fragrance was out of this world.

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 07:34 PM
The dog is out front, I just jerk the leash to make him go my way.

Dave

http://dovbaron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Underdog-Advantage.jpg

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

And we don't have to worry about fresh squeezed orange juice or Anita Bryant.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3fZreDAqeyw/S8t_-KT4rCI/AAAAAAAABxo/oRElQIIa7ks/s400/anita2.jpg

Tom Joad
05-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I think you would've felt right at home for part of our camping trip Tom. We took a detour through a place called Orange Cove in the central valley. Miles and miles of orange and lemon groves in full bloom. It was spectacular man. The fragrance was out of this world.

It would bring back childhood memories of smelling the Orange Blossoms again.

Most of the groves around here are long gone.

Been turned into subdivisions and strip commercial.

JCricket
05-06-2014, 08:46 PM
I just wonder if man could live on a mile thickness of ice? Could we?

Sure we could. But for how long? Same as with global warming. Could we live with a 5 degree increase in our temperature. Sure, but for how long. Lots of thing are not capable of adapting to that change. When they die off the entire ecosystem then collapses.

So for how long is the question..........

JCricket
05-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Colorado, at least for the last few years, seams to be getting the better end of the deal. We have had slightly milder winters, but more precipitation. The mountains are packed full of snow our source, (and phoenix, and other major southern towns) through the summer. Our reservoirs are full too.

Summers have been a bit warmer too, but just slightly. Again, a little more moisture too.

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Sure we could. But for how long? Same as with global warming. Could we live with a 5 degree increase in our temperature. Sure, but for how long. Lots of thing are not capable of adapting to that change. When they die off the entire ecosystem then collapses.

So for how long is the question..........

How would we eat? How would we drink water? How would we not be hypothermic. :confused:

JCricket
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I posted very recently that I have a kid brother looking into this. He has been for many years. His view is very grim. 2-5 years and we'll be in serious trouble. Inside of 15, life will no longer exist on this planet.

I have questioned him thoroughly to get answers as to why. His answers are lucid and make sense. I do not have enough confidence to endorse his opinion. But, nor do I have enough to dismiss it. I am worried he may be right.

He talks about "feedback" loops. Once they start, there will be no way to stop them. An example would be the warming of the ocean. It expands, it will not hold as much co2, thus the environment changes even more rapidly, the ocean wars some more, and so on. There were several others he talked about.

I think we will know in the next 2-3 years what the affects of global warming are and will be.

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Colorado, at least for the last few years, seams to be getting the better end of the deal. We have had slightly milder winters, but more precipitation. The mountains are packed full of snow our source, (and phoenix, and other major southern towns) through the summer. Our reservoirs are full too.

Summers have been a bit warmer too, but just slightly. Again, a little more moisture too.

Cal has been like spring all year round at least in the bay area. We did have a week or so of a cold snap at xmass.

4-2-7
05-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I posted very recently that I have a kid brother looking into this. He has been for many years. His view is very grim. 2-5 years and we'll be in serious trouble. Inside of 15, life will no longer exist on this planet.

I have questioned him thoroughly to get answers as to why. His answers are lucid and make sense. I do not have enough confidence to endorse his opinion. But, nor do I have enough to dismiss it. I am worried he may be right.

He talks about "feedback" loops. Once they start, there will be no way to stop them. An example would be the warming of the ocean. It expands, it will not hold as much co2, thus the environment changes even more rapidly, the ocean wars some more, and so on. There were several others he talked about.

I think we will know in the next 2-3 years what the affects of global warming are and will be.

I know I saw your post. We can worry about everything around us if we want. It's not healthy only taking in negativity, you know what I mean? Your awfully positive and should get your brother thinking about other things like enjoying the life we have now. Pardon my language but we can mind fuck ourselves into believing everything and anything. Even if things that are not in our control evolve or happen don't through away what good times and family that are present. Be prepared alert and observing but don't OD on any doom and gloom scenario.

Just a tip ;)

JCricket
05-07-2014, 06:36 AM
I know I saw your post. We can worry about everything around us if we want. It's not healthy only taking in negativity, you know what I mean? Your awfully positive and should get your brother thinking about other things like enjoying the life we have now. Pardon my language but we can mind fuck ourselves into believing everything and anything. Even if things that are not in our control evolve or happen don't through away what good times and family that are present. Be prepared alert and observing but don't OD on any doom and gloom scenario.

Just a tip ;)

Good morning and I hope you have a great day!

Believe me, I have tried really hard to change his perspective. I really do think he has some sort of mental illness. I have had no luck. He has lived with me for more than a year and I haven't scratched the surface of his negativity.

Agreed too, even if his assessment were true, why would you want to mope around in deep despair for you last days??

BlueStreak
05-07-2014, 07:19 AM
We could all move to Mars............

HarmanKardon
05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
I don't think I would like to go to Europe,Europeans are not my cup of tea.

Do not ignore the

German beer

German girls

German Autobahn

!!!

JJIII
05-07-2014, 07:43 AM
Do not ignore the

German beer

German girls

German Autobahn

!!!

But not all three at the same time:D

BlueStreak
05-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Do not ignore the

German beer

German girls

German Autobahn

!!!

But not all three at the same time:D

Oh, I dunno, John. Sounds like heaven to me. An awesome way to go, anyhow.:)

Dave

JJIII
05-07-2014, 08:09 AM
Oh, I dunno, John. Sounds like heaven to me. An awesome way to go, anyhow.:)

Dave

You might be onto something Dave.;)

JCricket
05-07-2014, 08:25 AM
How would we eat? How would we drink water? How would we not be hypothermic. :confused:

Sorry I missed this post, I'll answer out of order.

We wouldn't. We would probably last a long as a week, likely less. That was kind of my point. Weather it is an ice age or global warming, it isn't going to be good for us.

Also to discount one's validity because of the other is like arguing over which way we will die, when the point is something needs to be done to prevent it.

I am very certain that human induced global warming is occurring and accelerating. I also believe if we do not "fix" this, it will fix us. The time frame is where I get sketchy.20, 30, 50, or 100 years. I do not know.

4-2-7
05-07-2014, 08:36 AM
Sorry I missed this post, I'll answer out of order.

We wouldn't. We would probably last a long as a week, likely less. That was kind of my point. Weather it is an ice age or global warming, it isn't going to be good for us.

Also to discount one's validity because of the other is like arguing over which way we will die, when the point is something needs to be done to prevent it.

I am very certain that human induced global warming is occurring and accelerating. I also believe if we do not "fix" this, it will fix us. The time frame is where I get sketchy.20, 30, 50, or 100 years. I do not know.

One more thing can you tell me how the world has been able to reach the population levels of today?

JJIII
05-07-2014, 08:38 AM
One more thing can you tell me how the world has been able to reach the population levels of today?

Moral decline.

Pio1980
05-07-2014, 08:46 AM

According to the best theoretical and practical analyses of population expansion it was most likely due to copulation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4-2-7
05-07-2014, 08:47 AM
According to the best theoretical and practical analyses of population expansion it was most likely due to copulation.

Good Morning Steve, one of your great attributes is the capability of being a....
Smart ass :D

JCricket
05-07-2014, 09:04 AM

Yes I can. I do not remember the exact details, I can look them up. I hope it will suffice that I am paraphrasing with all intent to be accurate.

Around the turn of the 19th century, there was a man. He was still trying to turn lead into gold - an alchemist. In his experimenting, he discovered how to remove nitrogen from the air. This is the primary source of fertilizer for food. It made agriculture take off. It allowed our population to explode. This extra agriculture not only produced more grains/vegetables/fruits etc., but it also allowed the extra grains to go into feed for cattle.

I have to run out the door now, but I will get the exact info, details, and some links to show this.

Mark

4-2-7
05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Yes I can. I do not remember the exact details, I can look them up. I hope it will suffice that I am paraphrasing with all intent to be accurate.

Around the turn of the 19th century, there was a man. He was still trying to turn lead into gold - an alchemist. In his experimenting, he discovered how to remove nitrogen from the air. This is the primary source of fertilizer for food. It made agriculture take off. It allowed our population to explode. This extra agriculture not only produced more grains/vegetables/fruits etc., but it also allowed the extra grains to go into feed for cattle.

I have to run out the door now, but I will get the exact info, details, and some links to show this.

Mark

Energy!!

The use and exploitation of fossil fuels has created a world population explosion. It's just that simple without it or equal energy resources mans population will decrease.

I bring this up because you said this.

"I also believe if we do not "fix" this, it will fix us."

We are already past "Peak Oil" and without more alternatives and use of them population will decrease. Everything in this world has a cause and effect, lives and dies. It's evolution at work and nothing a politician or civilization does can change that.

Can we conserve and use our resources better sure. Can we invent and utilize other forms of energy we better. Do I believe all the Hype nope. We have far greater concerns to deal with that will reduce word population that's in the immediate future.

Pio1980
05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Good Morning Steve, one of your great attributes is the capability of being a....
Smart ass :D

Why, thank you! Sometimes It just pops out, like the Alien.

4-2-7
05-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Why, thank you! Sometimes It just pops out, like the Alien.

Very good it must be the intellectual qualities you posses.

JCricket
05-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Energy!!

The use and exploitation of fossil fuels has created a world population explosion. It's just that simple without it or equal energy resources mans population will decrease.

I bring this up because you said this.

"I also believe if we do not "fix" this, it will fix us."

We are already past "Peak Oil" and without more alternatives and use of them population will decrease. Everything in this world has a cause and effect, lives and dies. It's evolution at work and nothing a politician or civilization does can change that.

Can we conserve and use our resources better sure. Can we invent and utilize other forms of energy we better. Do I believe all the Hype nope. We have far greater concerns to deal with that will reduce word population that's in the immediate future.

I think you are almost dead on. We cannot sustain our population for much longer. It must decrease. Hopefully, it we will find a way to do so with little pain, unlikely however.

I disagree with just simple evolution at work. We have gone to the point that we now control technology, that is far outside normal evolution. As such, its consequences will be far greater too.

BlueStreak
05-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Interesting.

Pio1980
05-07-2014, 10:56 AM
The natural carrying capacity of the entire global environment makes any population overgrowth self-limiting. We can handle limiting ourselves or let the inevitables take care of it and deal, or not, with the consequences, unintended and otherwise.