PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Climate Change RANT!

Oerets
05-07-2014, 11:13 PM
OK, here I am sitting with a ice cold beer from "Germany" ( Spaten ) in a frosted mug waiting for my summer cloths to dry in an electric dryer. Trying to type until my shoulder reminds me of the tear in need of rest.

Realizing that I'm spoiled, own four vehicles. Mow my lawn with a gas powered lawn tractor. Take comfort in recycling and reuse of what I can. But still only so much one person can do. Looking at today's mail is a good example of the wasted resources (junk mail) soon to be pitched.

Just want to know what it is the deniers think is the reason I like others are awake to the effects of the modern life style. Sure it is easy to just keep going and not worry about our children. Bury our collective heads in the sand.

Fossil fuels Nuclear power are just bad. We need to go in a different direction. I remember there was once a time when Whale oil was all the rage.

The Human race is doomed thou, wasted with this gift given to us. The sacrifices will be to many and only after the damage is all to apparent will steps be taken. Then maybe but probably not!

I just want it in writing to my offspring that I was a believer. Tried to do my part but was weak and succumbed to what is.

Barney

JCricket
05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
OK, here I am sitting with a ice cold beer from "Germany" ( Spaten ) in a frosted mug waiting for my summer cloths to dry in an electric dryer. Trying to type until my shoulder reminds me of the tear in need of rest.

Realizing that I'm spoiled, own four vehicles. Mow my lawn with a gas powered lawn tractor. Take comfort in recycling and reuse of what I can. But still only so much one person can do. Looking at today's mail is a good example of the wasted resources (junk mail) soon to be pitched.

Just want to know what it is the deniers think is the reason I like others are awake to the effects of the modern life style. Sure it is easy to just keep going and not worry about our children. Bury our collective heads in the sand.

Fossil fuels Nuclear power are just bad. We need to go in a different direction. I remember there was once a time when Whale oil was all the rage.

The Human race is doomed thou, wasted with this gift given to us. The sacrifices will be to many and only after the damage is all to apparent will steps be taken. Then maybe but probably not!

I just want it in writing to my offspring that I was a believer. Tried to do my part but was weak and succumbed to what is.

Barney

Amen brother!

HarmanKardon
05-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Change is the most fundamental principle in the universe - everything changes except change itself. Therefore the climate also changed, changes and will change. The current relatively rapid change is influenced by the fast Global Warming caused by the modern civilization. Fossil energy had been stored for hundred millions of years in the ground and then realesed in just some 100 years, and perhaps some more 30 years from now on.

We all have participated in this immense release of fossil energy and we have to bear the consequences. It is too late to stop climate change.

one1
05-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Everything is in motion nothing to be done ,just enjoy the Ride.

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Dryers are the most obvious 'thing'. Otherwise overpopulation.

I was just watching a recent blurb last night - according to a trusted source the latest UN report says to keep rising temps to manageable levels, we need to both cut back co2 output by a gigaton like right now and also actually remove large amounts from the atmosphere.

Pete

[EDIT: Source dangit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yx8kGyeOyY - he's no denier.]

Oerets
05-08-2014, 08:00 AM
With all the tough decisions and measures ahead it is all to apparent, some of them will need a strong Government presence to be followed through. Forced on the people, not popular measures or easy. Left up to the majority, for a mob is swayed all to easily nothing will be done.

I try and do my part as little of an effect as it is. Keep the house cool in the winter, warm in the summer. Mow not as often as my neighbors like I'm sure. Replaced the incandescent lights, recycle religiously. Even spend my time getting the aluminum and steel from BPC junk units. Not for the money but to keep it out of the land fills.

BTW, my home is in a section where cloths lines are forbidden. Can't have one or if do will be fined!

Barney

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
I wasn't pointing the finger at you Barney, we all know it's our own fault :o

If government is the answer check out UNs' Agenda 21. Forget the tinfoil sites, read the source document.

Btw if you do some digging you'll find some scientists are upset at the way UN is making their sausage. They are NOT saying global warming is a hoax btw, but they are saying political powers are both suppressing and changing their conclusions, to forget the actual reports and read the scientific addendums instead. These folks are often volunteers btw.

Be prepared for an age of shrinking, where what we have will be dictated by more people sharing a smaller pie.

Pete

Oerets
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Pete

I never felt you were at all. Just was pointing out the absurdity in the code against cloths lines. Add to this one of my neighbors is the building inspector and enforces codes. Told one of my other neighbors to mow the lawn. The grass wasn't tall at all. Just being next to his looked higher. He mows his short, I on the other hand mow with the deck up all the way.

Barney

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Everything is in motion nothing to be done ,just enjoy the Ride.

In a way, I'm looking forward to it.

Retirement is getting boring.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/roadwarrior1.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/roadwarrior1.jpg.html)

Oerets
05-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Just don't seem to get what people think I have to gain by being against fossil fuels? Really do they think I want to do without? I just realize how selfish this is and wish more would see it for what it is.

My sister informed me that God gave us oil and the earth still creates it for our use. It will never run out. How do you deal with that?

Barney

icenine
05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
On MSNBC yesterday they said the amount of oil being transported in the those train tanker cars (the ones that blow up) was 80,000 a year in 2008. Today it is 400,000 cars of oil per annum on overhead rail!

I take my old electronics to the recycle guys when they show up at Target every so often. I think they are sold on the market for rare earth overseas? Who knows.

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
My sister informed me that God gave us oil and the earth still creates it for our use. It will never run out. How do you deal with that?
Barney

I've heard that there are actually some wackatards that believe that.

http://www.cuttingedge.org/News/n2268.cfm

Sorry, didn't mean to show disrespect for your sis.

donquixote99
05-08-2014, 09:23 AM

If government is the answer check out UNs' Agenda 21. Forget the tinfoil sites, read the source document.

Btw if you do some digging you'll find some scientists are upset at the way UN is making their sausage. They are NOT saying global warming is a hoax btw, but they are saying political powers are both suppressing and changing their conclusions, to forget the actual reports and read the scientific addendums instead. These folks are often volunteers btw.

Be prepared for an age of shrinking, where what we have will be dictated by more people sharing a smaller pie.

Pete

The UN has no ability to make actual sausage. Agenda 21 is the authors' idea of what should be done, but they have no power to do it. The governments that do have the power are not even dreaming of doing so.

Agenda 21 is either an exercise in clear thinking, or a horrible boggeyman, but what it is not is anything that's going to happen. For better or worse.

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Sorry DQ I did not mean to link the two comments. The sausage is in current UN reports. The only trustworthy parts of those is the technical sections, unmolested by politicians.

Just don't seem to get what people think I have to gain by being against fossil fuels? Really do they think I want to do without? I just realize how selfish this is and wish more would see it for what it is.

Barney

I get the oil thing. I might even see it for what it is. I have yet to see a solution.

Darn my milky memory, but iirc there is mention in the Bible of the earth being used up or something along those lines.

Pete

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Darn my milky memory, but iirc there is mention in the Bible of the earth being used up or something along those lines.

Pete

Good.

That will offset all that crap about stewardship.

MikeG22
05-08-2014, 10:11 AM
I get the oil thing. I might even see it for what it is. I have yet to see a solution.

Same here. Solar? How am I supposed to heat the house? I hate paying the oil man but what's the reasonable alternative?

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Good.

That will offset all that crap about stewardship.

I agree about stewardship, but if something isn't running out why conserve at all?

Pete

donquixote99
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM

Pete

The one that most comes to mind is the marching orders quoted in Genesis: 'Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.'

The 'replenish the earth' part sounds good, but wait a sec. This supposedly is when they were just heading out of the Garden of Eden. Why would anything need replenished at that point?

Suggests to me that the content of the quote dates to a later time, and reflects experience with ancient farmland already being used up by continued agricultural use. This, we may speculate, might have to do with why Abraham left Ur.

donquixote99
05-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Same here. Solar? How am I supposed to heat the house? I hate paying the oil man but what's the reasonable alternative?

I like the idea of solar power satellites. Koch and compnay could get richer distributing this power over the grid from central receiver farms, so it ought to be doable.

Oerets
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

I say make it code all new construction uses solar panels on the roof. Would be a start at getting an industry going stronger and price should go down. Will create jobs for sure.

Barney

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 11:02 AM
I agree about stewardship, but if something isn't running out why conserve at all?

Pete

If people like Rush Limbaugh are saying it isn't running out and the overwhelming majority of learned scientists say it is, whose probably right?

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 11:16 AM
I'll take a stab at it - scientists?

I'm still sticking with the sun-is-a-giant-glowing-grapefruit theory though :)

Pete

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I'll take a stab at it - scientists?

I'm still sticking with the sun-is-a-giant-glowing-grapefruit theory though :)

Pete

You always try to deflect my making some lame attempt at a joke when you are cornered like a rat.

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 12:05 PM
Alright I give - how exactly am I cornered?

Pete

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Alright I give - how exactly am I cornered?

Pete

By aligning yourself with the baggers on issue after issue you have painted yourself into a corner. Then when you find yourself in a position of being challenged to defend the indefensible, you try to weasel out of it by deflecting with a joke.

It really isn't nice of me to point that out is it?

I'm supposed to allow you to save face and leave the field with some dignity.

Like they do in Japanese culture.

My bad.

http://www.myjapanphone.com/japan_business_servive/basic_business_enviroment/The_Japanese_and_Face.html

Saving face is crucial in Japanese society.
. The Japanese believe that turning down someone's request causes embarrassment and loss of face to the other person.
. If the request cannot be agreed to, they will say, 'it's inconvenient' or 'it's under consideration'.
. Face is a mark of personal dignity and means having high status with one's peers.
. The Japanese will try never to do anything to cause loss of face.
. Therefore, they do not openly criticize, insult, or put anyone on-the-spot.
. Face can be lost, taken away, or earned through praise and thanks.

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 01:51 PM
They don't just worry about face. They also worry about back.

http://global3.memecdn.com/feline-disrespect-from-behind_o_845745.gif

And nice try ;) I'm not going anywhere. Regardless of the width of your paintbrush. Hello Senate '14.

Pete

bobabode
05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Say hello to Dem filibuster if the 'pubbies take the senate in 2014. Six months is an eon in politics and there is all summer left for the wingnuts to let their inner 'bagger out. :)

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Then the Dems'll be the Party of No ;) Agreed on the 6 months!

Pete

bobabode
05-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Then the Dems'll be the Party of No ;) Agreed on the 6 months!

Pete

One difference, the 'pubbies are infected with the zombie 'bagger movement who think they can impeach the Prez and take us back to 'free market' healthcare. ;)

To hell with an AR15, I want a 45/70 and some claymores. :cool:

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Insurrectionist!

:p

I doubt the ACA will be repealed, politics notwithstanding, unless the GOP has both chambers AND the White House in 16, and even then probably just a onceover so they can say they did.

Pete

bobabode
05-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I support the USPS.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVqg85AV7WK_EZz6FILoPN73TPaUv8C 5icE2PXyOlQLOKd7fdWFw

piece-itpete
05-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Book = good. Movie = bad. :)

Pete

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Pete

What are you talking about?

That movie was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzMzwskcBA

Almost as good as Waterworld!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFsmZhQWtg

bobabode
05-08-2014, 04:02 PM
What are you talking about?

That movie was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxzMzwskcBA

Almost as good as Waterworld!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKFsmZhQWtg

Pete sides with the "Tyrrany" of the 'Wholeness'. ;)

bobabode
05-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Pete

Yeh, must've put a bug up yer ass seeing Tom Petty as the mayor of a town that had gun control. :rolleyes:

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Yeh, must've put a bug up yer ass seeing Tom Petty as the mayor of a town that had gun control. :rolleyes:

Tom Petty.

One of the good things to come out of Florida.

Born and raised in Gainesville, Florida, and attended Gainesville High School. His interest in rock and roll music began at age ten when he met Elvis Presley.[3] In the summer of 1961, his uncle was working on the set of Presley's film Follow That Dream in nearby Ocala, Florida, and invited Petty to come down and watch the shoot.[4] He instantly became an Elvis Presley fan, and when he returned that Saturday he was greeted by his friend Keith Harben and soon traded his Wham-O slingshot for a collection of Elvis 45s.[5]

In a 2006 interview on the National Public Radio program Fresh Air, Petty said that he knew he wanted to be in a band the moment he saw the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show.[6] "The minute I saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show -- and it's true of thousands of guys -- there was the way out. There was the way to do it. You get your friends and you're a self-contained unit. And you make the music. And it looked like so much fun. It was something I identified with. I had never been hugely into sports. ... I had been a big fan of Elvis. But I really saw in The Beatles that here's something I could do. I knew I could do it. It wasn't long before there were groups springing up in garages all over the place."[7]

One of his first guitar teachers was Don Felder, a fellow Gainesville resident, who would later join the Eagles.[8][9] As a young man, Petty worked briefly on the grounds crew for the University of Florida, but never attended as a student. An Ogeechee lime tree that he planted while employed at the University is now called the Tom Petty tree.[10][11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Petty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyStwRYLzlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lWJXDG2i0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA&feature=kp

Tom Joad
05-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Hello Senate '14.

Pete

You have a good chance of winning that, I agree.

Your side won at Bull Run too.

How'd that work out for ya?

piece-itpete
05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
I almost posted Petty in the guitar thread. Live he's underrated imo.

I see my not particularly liking a movie has political reasons :p

Pete

Tom Joad
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
I see my not particularly liking a movie has political reasons :p

Pete

I never meant to imply that.

I was just noting what an elitist snob you are.

HarmanKardon
05-10-2014, 12:47 PM
By the way - what about Al Gore, the Climate Change prophet? His educational crusade some years ago was - at last - obviously not very sufficient. :(

Oerets
05-10-2014, 01:57 PM
By the way - what about Al Gore, the Climate Change prophet? His educational crusade some years ago was - at last - obviously not very sufficient. :(

Those who were unaware and choose to view with an open mind learned something. But the attack machine went all out to attack the man and message.

Only the future will tell how right he is.

Barney

HarmanKardon
05-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Those who were unaware and choose to view with an open mind learned something. But the attack machine went all out to attack the man and message.

Only the future will tell how right he is.

Barney

A future populated by 26 years old housewives riding their 420 HP Audi Q7, a distance of less than one mile from their home to the parking lot of the grocery. I see such crap day by day.

By the way - almost 30% of the new registered vehicles in 2013 in Germany were SUV's.

piece-itpete
05-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Funny how Bush Jrs' home was way, way more eco-friendly than Gore.

I never meant to imply that.

I was just noting what an elitist snob you are.

ROTFLMAO!!! Do you have any grey poupon? ;)

Pete

Tom Joad
05-13-2014, 05:53 PM

If that's the case, and believe me, the jury is out since all I have is your word for it, then shame on Al Gore.

As for your buddy W, having an eco-friendly house doesn't make up for being a war criminal.

Oerets
05-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Some news kinda tied to Al Gore,

""One of the producers of Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth” has homed in on another target: the food industry.""

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/al-gore-inconvenient-truth-producer-laurie-david-yahoo-katie-couric-sundance-film-festival-102444.html#ixzz31dmdmsFu

'Inconvenient Truth' producer takes on food industry

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/01/al-gore-inconvenient-truth-producer-laurie-david-yahoo-katie-couric-sundance-film-festival-102444.html

Barney

Oerets
05-13-2014, 06:25 PM
More good news yesterday!

IPCC Report Scientists: Rising Seas in East Antarctica Maybe -- in 2,000 to 10,000 Years

“But once it had started, the discharge of ice would slowly but relentlessly continue until the whole basin was empty, even if the climate ceased to warm.”

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/penny-starr/ipcc-report-scientists-rising-seas-east-antarctica-maybe-2000-10000-years

Barney

Pio1980
05-17-2014, 10:32 AM

ROTFLMAO!!! Do you have any grey poupon? ;)

Pete

I try to avoid getting poop of any color on myself.

bobabode
05-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Hi Barney, Check out David 'The Nature of Things' Suzuki on Bill Moyers & Friends. http://billmoyers.com/