PDA

View Full Version : Avatar (movie) rating.

doucanoe
01-15-2010, 12:12 PM
My wife is getting off of work early today. I'm going to pick her up shortly and we decided that we would catch a movie. Our kids convinced us the we really "needed" to see Avatar in 3D on the big screen, so thats what we are going to see :D

I just looked up movie times and picked out a theater. In the process, I read the review and happened to glance at the rating description.

2 hrs. 40 min.
(PG-13), for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking

Can someone here identify what about the above that I find... well, odd. I can't put a finger on why I find this troublesome exactly. I guess it's not the the fact that it is mentioned or argue that it's not unhealthy, but more to do with ideas implemented for the betterment of all and the progressive and incremental nature of rulemakers.

In the grand scheme of things it is meaningless but honestly, whats next? Can we expect rating descriptions making reference to "Consumption of fast foods" or "Unauthorized use of Non-Green vehicles for travel" in the near future?

I really don't expect all here to grasp my meaning. That too is the nature of things.

RC

Boreas
01-15-2010, 12:21 PM
2 hrs. 40 min.
(PG-13), for intense epic battle sequences and warfare, sensuality, language and some smoking

Can someone here identify what about the above that I find... well, odd. I can't put a finger on why I find this troublesome exactly.

I'm thinking only you can tell us what you think is odd. Then maybe we can tell you why. I'd look up what PG-13 actually means first.

And if fast food is ever proven to be as lethal, addictive and insidious as tobacco, then maybe a warning would be in order for that too.

By the way, are you a smoker?

John

piece-itpete
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
They recently released the first two years of Seseme Street.

Because the Grouch smoked cigars, it has a parental warning.

Pete

Boreas
01-15-2010, 12:48 PM
They recently released the first two years of Seseme Street.

Because the Grouch smoked cigars, it has a parental warning.

Pete

Jeepers Freepers, Batman!

John

merrylander
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Last time we were in a theatre they were smoking, and they were not Marlboros.

d-ray657
01-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Last time we were in a theatre they were smoking, and they were not Marlboros.

Lemme guess - Rocky Horror Picture Show.:p

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
01-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't remember it was back in 85 or 86.

Boreas
01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I can't remember it was back in 85 or 86.

Was it at midnight?

John

merrylander
01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
No eveing, the theatre that used to be on Wincopin in Columbia.

HatchetJack
01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Dont know what it's about but If I had to guess, it's made by libs for libs.
They try to corrupt our kids at an early age.

d-ray657
01-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Dont know what it's about but If I had to guess, it's made by libs for libs.
They try to corrupt our kids at an early age.

Where you been Jack?

And I was concerned that my son's HS economics teacher corrupted him with all of that free market BS.

Regards,

D-Ray

HatchetJack
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Had to go out of town yesterday, been busy at work today. Looks like
Writewing has been keeping you guys occupied lately. Makes my job easier:D

d-ray657
01-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Had to go out of town yesterday, been busy at work today. Looks like
Writewing has been keeping you guys occupied lately. Makes my job easier:D

Nope, not since I took Grumpy's advice.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Nope, not since I took Grumpy's advice.

Regards,

D-Ray

+1

John

HatchetJack
01-15-2010, 04:44 PM
So you gonna pick on me again:cool:

Boreas
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM

You betchum, Red Ryder! :)

John

d-ray657
01-15-2010, 04:56 PM

C'mon, I even said something nice about Lynard Skynard.

I disagree with you much of the time, but you will face up to the opposition with out having to stick out your tongue and make a personal attack. And usually both you and the horse you rode up on can take a joke.:D

Regards,

D-Ray

HatchetJack
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Bring it on Howdy doodies, you uns aint gonna hurt my feelings.:D

HatchetJack
01-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Sometimes I even listen to neel yung

doucanoe
01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm thinking only you can tell us what you think is odd. Then maybe we can tell you why. I'd look up what PG-13 actually means first.

And if fast food is ever proven to be as lethal, addictive and insidious as tobacco, then maybe a warning would be in order for that too.

By the way, are you a smoker?

John

I have two children John (now 19 and 22) so I'm familiar with the meaning of PG-13. In fact, why don't we take a look for ourselves to refresh our memories.

http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp

"A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous."

There you go if you needed a refresher. The rating had nothing to do with my comment by the way. Just what was in the rating description.

Shot of a long explanation the will undoubtedly fall on deaf ears here for the most part anyway, I'm just going to say this. It saddens me to see a once great nation of strong, resourceful people, slowly but surely being reduced to a nation of whiny bitches and victims.

Yes I do smoke. I particularly enjoy a fine maduro wrapper cigar. Not sure why you ask though.

RC

Boreas
01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm just going to say this. It saddens me to see a once great nation of strong, resourceful people, slowly but surely being reduced to a nation of whiny bitches and victims.

That strong resourceful people were systematically addicted to a lethal consumer product. Most of us succeeded in throwing that addiction off, only to see the tobacco industry target our children who increasingly fall victim to RJR and their co-conspirators.

I'm all for the PG13 rating here. It advises parents that, assuming they wish their children to see the film, they might want to discuss with them the several areas of concern delineated in the advisory.

It saddens me to think that you seem to think responsible and proactive parenting is whiny, bitchy victimhood.

Yes I do smoke. I particularly enjoy a fine maduro wrapper cigar. Not sure why you ask though.

You're not? Really?

John

stereocuuple
01-15-2010, 09:01 PM
im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. you can blame the goddamn lawers and the corperate court system for all this " for our own good" bullshit.

i know whats best for me and thats it. the liberal do what we say crowd can piss up a rope.

if americans dont stand up and stop this lunacy we are all going to end up wearing fucking spacesuits and ratting eachother out for eating a big mac.

by the way as soon as cigs are gone its going to be food and entertainment that are taxed to pay for the liberals big giveaways. the government isint going to just forget about the hundreds of millions of unfair tax dollars.

Boreas
01-15-2010, 09:13 PM
im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. you can blame the goddamn lawers and the corperate court system for all this " for our own good" bullshit.

i know whats best for me and thats it. the liberal do what we say crowd can piss up a rope.

if americans dont stand up and stop this lunacy we are all going to end up wearing fucking spacesuits and ratting eachother out for eating a big mac.

by the way as soon as cigs are gone its going to be food and entertainment that are taxed to pay for the liberals big giveaways. the government isint going to just forget about the hundreds of millions of unfair tax dollars.

I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard...

John

noonereal
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
im over worrying about our freedom to choose disappearing the worthless government is turning our own kids aganist us. .

No trouble with this here. :rolleyes:Guess this is a problem more in the south and Midwest.

doucanoe
01-15-2010, 09:33 PM
The movie was outstanding by the way! I'm not sure if my opinion would be the same without the 3D factor but with it, it was very entertaining.

The last time I saw a movie in 3D, it was some horror deal that I long forgot the title of. I wasn't expecting much with Avatar but it was pretty amazing.

RC

Boreas
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
The movie was outstanding by the way! I'm not sure if my opinion would be the same without the 3D factor but with it, it was very entertaining.

The last time I saw a movie in 3D, it was some horror deal that I long forgot the title of. I wasn't expecting much with Avatar but it was pretty amazing.

RC

House of Wax?

John

doucanoe
01-15-2010, 09:55 PM
You're not? Really?

John

John, I believe I made it clear in my original post that smoking is unhealthy. My point was whether or not it is really necessary to note it in a movie rating description.

Like I said, I anticipated your reaction to this and was pretty much spot on. No offence intended but, I was more curious to hear what other had to say. You, are way too predictable ;)

RC

doucanoe
01-15-2010, 09:57 PM
House of Wax?

John

Not that old (movie that is ;) )i think it was JAWS 3D now that I think of it. It was gawd awful :D

RC

d-ray657
01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
It would be difficult to argue against the proposition that too many in our society have manipulated victimhood. If you read the post about the case I am preparing, it is a prime example of individuals who have harmed the credibility of the civil rights laws by becoming professional victims.

On the other hand, I see the spread of information about harmful effect of many products to be more about responsibility than victimhood. For example, mandatory nutrition labels - they allow us to make informed choices about what we consume. We bear the responsibility for those choices.

The more dangerous dissemination of information is considerably less direct. Smoking was glamorized in movies for year and years. How many guys wanted to be like Bogart? The movies let us know that it is manly to down a stiff drink. More recently, we have been made aware of product placement in entertainment. I don't watch NASCAR, but I have seen enough to know that the cars and jumpsuits are mobile billboards. How omnipresent is the Nike swoosh in other sporting events? Corporations spend millions and millions to find ways to convince people to purchase their products (or to subtly impart a message that creates a desire for the product).

Such messages are imparted with no concern for whether the product is beneficial for the purchaser, but only whether the cost of imparting the message enhances profits. The more we are able to identify and expose such messages for what they are, the more freely we will make our choices.

I don't see it as whining if we take more responsibility for our own choices. Do you.

Regards,

D-Ray

Sandy G
01-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Every time I see somethin' about "Avatar", I'm reminded about that song from about 10 yrs ago, "Blue", by some Italian europoptrash group, Eiffel 65. "I'm Blue, abba-dee-abba-dye..." And you MAY cuss me for putting the Earwig therewith into yr head for the rest of the mornin'...Mbwahahahaha...

Grumpy
01-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Heaven forbid a child should see someone smoking. Then it would be the on the parents to tell them its wrong. Oh the humanity !

How about "Warning this movie contains numerous pimping for brand names aimed directly at your child" ?

doucanoe
01-16-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't see it as whining if we take more responsibility for our own choices. Do you.

Regards,

D-Ray

I would love to see people taking more responsibility for their actions. I do not see that happening for the most part however. In regard to some of the things you mentioned, here's a novel idea. Turn off your television.

With all due respect, the legal industry is partly at fault for this. Cash cows abound if you can successfully demonize the notion of marketing for profit and the witch hunt continues endlessly. There are real "witches", so going after them is justified in some regard but the process has changed the way people view themselves. In many ways, the legal industry is guilty of the same wrongs. Marketing for profit is marketing for profit.

Back to the movie. My original thought was that it seemed interesting to me the smoking was singled out and someone felt it necessary to note it in the Rating description. I honestly have never paid attention or really read a Rating description in the past so I'm not sure. Maybe noting that smoking was depicted in a movie is common place and I'm just behind the times. There was also drinking and what appeared to be unsafe sex in the movie but no mention of that in the description interestingly enough. I would think that with all the alcohol related deaths, injury and whatnot would warrant a mention for parents concerned about the welfare the children but their were none. The Rating review does mention "sexuality" whatever that means, but does not mention unsafe sex. If you have seen the movie, to argue that the two main characters did not do it would be a stretch. Even the female lead spoke of the fact that they had now "mated". Every teen age kid that has had a biology class fully understands the meaning of mating ;) With the all the health concerns revolving around unsafe sex, not to mention possible pregnancy, why was that not mentioned? I think the answer is that we just have not got that far yet. It's coming rest assured.

I have no issues with whatever they want to put in a Rating description really. To me, I guess it is just a metaphor for where we are at today feeling the need to save us from ourselves.

Life is dangerous. Short of living in a plastic bubble, no legislation is going to change that.

I wonder how long it will be before we start going after the internet and its enablers for providing a unhealthy way for too many to spend their time. Hour and hours spend by individuals reading forums and responding to posts. It's unhealthy I tell ya! These people should be outside taking a walk and not wasting their lives on the internets.

Maybe you and I should get together and brainstorm a bit. It's only right. Too many poor bastards being taken advantage of out there for us to sit by and just watch. I'm sure we could put something together that would make us lots 'o cash :)

RC

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Every time I see somethin' about "Avatar", I'm reminded about that song from about 10 yrs ago, "Blue", by some Italian europoptrash group, Eiffel 65. "I'm Blue, abba-dee-abba-dye..." And you MAY cuss me for putting the Earwig therewith into yr head for the rest of the mornin'...Mbwahahahaha...

I never heard it, so there. But, if I had, I would be prepared to fight fire with fire. . . .
I'm so dizzy my head is spinnin'
like a whirlpool it never ends,
I'm so dizzy my heads is spinnin'
and it's you girl making it spin. '

See if you can Roe past that one . . .Mbwahahahahah

Regards,

D-Ray

Sandy G
01-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Sometimes, I think some of youse Byrds are even bigger B'strds than even I am....(grin)

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I would love to see people taking more responsibility for their actions. I do not see that happening for the most part however. In regard to some of the things you mentioned, here's a novel idea. Turn off your television.

With all due respect, the legal industry is partly at fault for this. Cash cows abound if you can successfully demonize the notion of marketing for profit and the witch hunt continues endlessly. There are real "witches", so going after them is justified in some regard but the process has changed the way people view themselves. In many ways, the legal industry is guilty of the same wrongs. Marketing for profit is marketing for profit.

Back to the movie. My original thought was that it seemed interesting to me the smoking was singled out and someone felt it necessary to note it in the Rating description. I honestly have never paid attention or really read a Rating description in the past so I'm not sure. Maybe noting that smoking was depicted in a movie is common place and I'm just behind the times. There was also drinking and what appeared to be unsafe sex in the movie but no mention of that in the description interestingly enough. I would think that with all the alcohol related deaths, injury and whatnot would warrant a mention for parents concerned about the welfare the children but their were none. The Rating review does mention "sexuality" whatever that means, but does not mention unsafe sex. If you have seen the movie, to argue that the two main characters did not do it would be a stretch. Even the female lead spoke of the fact that they had now "mated". Every teen age kid that has had a biology class fully understands the meaning of mating ;) With the all the health concerns revolving around unsafe sex, not to mention possible pregnancy, why was that not mentioned? I think the answer is that we just have not got that far yet. It's coming rest assured.

I have no issues with whatever they want to put in a Rating description really. To me, I guess it is just a metaphor for where we are at today feeling the need to save us from ourselves.

Life is dangerous. Short of living in a plastic bubble, no legislation is going to change that.

I wonder how long it will be before we start going after the internet and its enablers for providing a unhealthy way for too many to spend their time. Hour and hours spend by individuals reading forums and responding to posts. It's unhealthy I tell ya! These people should be outside taking a walk and not wasting their lives on the internets.

Maybe you and I should get together and brainstorm a bit. It's only right. Too many poor bastards being taken advantage of out there for us to sit by and just watch. I'm sure we could put something together that would make us lots 'o cash :)

RC

I think we could find a lot of things to agree on.

I have turned off the television. I watched one bowl bame before New Years, and I have watched half of a basketball game this year. We turned it off when our kids were at home too. The TV was off from Sunday night through Thursday night, unless they made special appointment with us to watch something that was of particular importance. (I confess that I considered the World Series important enough to take them out of school to attend, and I allowed them to watch it, so I could..)

Believe it or not, I have never been an ambulance chaser. I still see the practice of law as a profession. I chose labor law because of my belief that labor unions benefit working people, a value that was instilled in me by my father. As un-American as it sounds, the profit motive is not a driving force in my life.

I do, however, consider the battle for our minds to be an important one as well, and I do see the pervasiveness in marketing in our culture as a social ill. Too many kids shows are little more than extension of marketing campaigns. Marketers actually conduct surveys to determine parents' whine threshold before succumbing to a purchase. The last parade I watched, several years ago, was a miles long infomercial. The name of bowl games and stadiums are up for sale ( and yeah, my favorite baseball team played in Busch stadium, and I drank their product)

I believe my last post did mention consumption of alcohol as something promoted in movies. As parents, we did not permit drinking before 21, although I have sat down and had a couple of beers with my older son after his 21st. My wife, the nurse, was more active in providing the boys with information concerning sexuality and the physiological as well as emotional consequences of sex. We were not so naive as to not also teach them about protection. Even as members of this promiscuous generation, they have expressed to me how damaging they perceive the effects of casual sex on their friends. (Now tell me if an advertising campaign for prepaid mobile phones that showed people sneaking out of bedroom windows after one-nighters, in order to promote the marketing pitch of "no commitments," shows responsibility toward anything but the bottom line.)

You nailed me on spending too much time on line and too little on exercise. I accept that as my responsibility and I wear my gut as a scarlet letter.

We on the left are not afraid of the concept of personal responsibility. Indeed, we know better than to claim that the devil made us do it. I don't, however, see anyone else but the government as big enough to counter the overwhelming level of market manipulation that has seeped into nearly every aspect of our life. People should receive enough counter-information to be able to actually make personal choices.

Personally, I don't need the motivation of getting rich to fight against the capitalist effort to purchase our minds.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
01-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I would love to see people taking more responsibility for their actions. I do not see that happening for the most part however.

The PG13 rating doesn't prevent a kid from walking into the theater alone to watch the film so the responsibility still resides with the individuals involved. The rating provides information upon which a parent can base his or her decision regarding the movie, be it allowing or not allowing the child to attend or deciding what discussion they might want to have about some aspects of the film. The rating encourages the sort of personal responsibility you favor by providing information, nothing more.

Back to the movie. My original thought was that it seemed interesting to me the smoking was singled out and someone felt it necessary to note it in the Rating description.

It wasn't singled out. Several other areas of concern were specified. Given the nature of cigarettes and cigarette advertising, I think including it in the rating is appropriate. Parents might wish to decide whether or not to have a discussion with their kids about smoking before seeing the movie. They might even decide not to let their kids see it at all. You'd say that was a gross overreaction and I'd probably agree but it's still the exercise of the sort of personal responsibility you favor.

There was also drinking and what appeared to be unsafe sex in the movie but no mention of that in the description interestingly enough. I would think that with all the alcohol related deaths, injury and whatnot would warrant a mention for parents concerned about the welfare the children but their were none. The Rating review does mention "sexuality" whatever that means, but does not mention unsafe sex.

So, you want more?

Sorry, but you obviously do have issues here. Your OP focused entirely on smoking. Since you are a smoker yourself, I believe you took offense to what you saw as the demonization of your habit.

I'll say again that the ratings don't even attempt to "save us from ourselves". They offer information whereby we can make our own decisions as to what to see or what to allow children to see and what context we'll provide for them if they do see it.

John

Sandy G
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I never heard it, so there. But, if I had, I would be prepared to fight fire with fire. . . .
I'm so dizzy my head is spinnin'
like a whirlpool it never ends,
I'm so dizzy my heads is spinnin'
and it's you girl making it spin. '

See if you can Roe past that one . . .Mbwahahahahah

Regards,

D-Ray

"Daddy please don't, it wasn't his fault, he means SO much to me...
Daddy please don't we're gonna get MARRIED, just you wait 'n' see..."
Take THAT.....Hehehehehehe...

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Sometimes, I think some of youse Byrds are even bigger B'strds than even I am....(grin)

Thank you sir. Can I have another.

Regards,

D-Ray

doucanoe
01-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I think we could find a lot of things to agree on.

I have turned off the television. I watched one bowl bame before New Years, and I have watched half of a basketball game this year. We turned it off when our kids were at home too. The TV was off from Sunday night through Thursday night, unless they made special appointment with us to watch something that was of particular importance. (I confess that I considered the World Series important enough to take them out of school to attend, and I allowed them to watch it, so I could..)

Believe it or not, I have never been an ambulance chaser. I still see the practice of law as a profession. I chose labor law because of my belief that labor unions benefit working people, a value that was instilled in me by my father. As un-American as it sounds, the profit motive is not a driving force in my life.

I do, however, consider the battle for our minds to be an important one as well, and I do see the pervasiveness in marketing in our culture as a social ill. Too many kids shows are little more than extension of marketing campaigns. Marketers actually conduct surveys to determine parents' whine threshold before succumbing to a purchase. The last parade I watched, several years ago, was a miles long infomercial. The name of bowl games and stadiums are up for sale ( and yeah, my favorite baseball team played in Busch stadium, and I drank their product)

I believe my last post did mention consumption of alcohol as something promoted in movies. As parents, we did not permit drinking before 21, although I have sat down and had a couple of beers with my older son after his 21st. My wife, the nurse, was more active in providing the boys with information concerning sexuality and the physiological as well as emotional consequences of sex. We were not so naive as to not also teach them about protection. Even as members of this promiscuous generation, they have expressed to me how damaging they perceive the effects of casual sex on their friends. (Now tell me if an advertising campaign for prepaid mobile phones that showed people sneaking out of bedroom windows after one-nighters, in order to promote the marketing pitch of "no commitments," shows responsibility toward anything but the bottom line.)

You nailed me on spending too much time on line and too little on exercise. I accept that as my responsibility and I wear my gut as a scarlet letter.

We on the left are not afraid of the concept of personal responsibility. Indeed, we know better than to claim that the devil made us do it. I don't, however, see anyone else but the government as big enough to counter the overwhelming level of market manipulation that has seeped into nearly every aspect of our life. People should receive enough counter-information to be able to actually make personal choices.

Personally, I don't need the motivation of getting rich to fight against the capitalist effort to purchase our minds. To lose that make us weak.

Regards,

D-Ray

Hey man, I didn't mean that as a personal attack on you. Just pointing out that the legal industry at large is part of the problem imo.

The comment about spending too much time on the internets, was directed toward all many of us and just brought up to illustrate whats to come more than likely. My 49 year old paunch is not being helped by my time spent sitting on my butt talking to you either :D

I'm all for providing information that allows people to make smart choices but their are all too many people or groups to day that seem to feel it incumbent upon them to not only provide info, but to take steps to remove these decisions in the effort to keep them safe.

Smart people can make bad choices and dumb people can wise ones. The most important thing is that people are allowed to make decisions and not have them removed by decree. The personal liberty's and freedoms we share are what make our country different from most.

RC

doucanoe
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
The PG13 rating doesn't prevent a kid from walking into the theater alone to watch the film so the responsibility still resides with the individuals involved. The rating provides information upon which a parent can base his or her decision regarding the movie, be it allowing or not allowing the child to attend or deciding what discussion they might want to have about some aspects of the film. The rating encourages the sort of personal responsibility you favor by providing information, nothing more.

It wasn't singled out. Several other areas of concern were specified. Given the nature of cigarettes and cigarette advertising, I think including it in the rating is appropriate. Parents might wish to decide whether or not to have a discussion with their kids about smoking before seeing the movie. They might even decide not to let their kids see it at all. You'd say that was a gross overreaction and I'd probably agree but it's still the exercise of the sort of personal responsibility you favor.

So, you want more?

Sorry, but you obviously do have issues here. Your OP focused entirely on smoking. Since you are a smoker yourself, I believe you took offense to what you saw as the demonization of your habit.

I'll say again that the ratings don't even attempt to "save us from ourselves". They offer information whereby we can make our own decisions as to what to see or what to allow children to see and what context we'll provide for them if they do see it.

John

I'm not going waste my time trying to convince you that because of the fact I smoke, it has not clouded my assessment. All I can do is assure you that it has not. I would have felt the same way if the other things I brought up were mentioned also. My point was, that even though they were not, my prediction is that they sadly will be more than likely in the near future.

RC

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey man, I didn't mean that as a personal attack on you. Just pointing out that the legal industry at large is part of the problem imo.

The comment about spending too much time on the internets, was directed toward all many of us and just brought up to illustrate whats to come more than likely. My 49 year old paunch is not being helped by my time spent sitting on my butt talking to you either :D

I'm all for providing information that allows people to make smart choices but their are all too many people or groups to day that seem to feel it incumbent upon them to not only provide info, but to take steps to remove these decisions in the effort to keep them safe.

Smart people can make bad choices and dumb people can wise ones. The most important thing is that people are allowed to make decisions and not have them removed by decree. The personal liberty's and freedoms we share are what make our country different from most.

RC

I didn't take it as a personal attack. Honestly, I don't call myself a lawyer, if people ask, I tell them that I am a labor lawyer.

As I mentioned we have plenty of common ground. Neither the left nor the right have a monopoly over the concept of personal responsibility (nor the pragmatists, which is a label you might claim).

We'll talk more later, but I gotta go get my ponytail cut off.

Regards,

D-Ray.

doucanoe
01-16-2010, 10:17 AM
I didn't take it as a personal attack. Honestly, I don't call myself a lawyer, if people ask, I tell them that I am a labor lawyer.

As I mentioned we have plenty of common ground. Neither the left nor the right have a monopoly over the concept of personal responsibility (nor the pragmatists, which is a label you might claim).

We'll talk more later, but I gotta go get my ponytail cut off.

Regards,

D-Ray.

Ha! I'm jealous! We have met and I'm sure you noticed that my potential ponytail days are long forgotten. Even the most well designed and thought out comb over would not help much in that regard :D

Sandy G
01-16-2010, 11:03 AM
W/my ever-increasing Baloney Slice back yonder, I wish I COULD sprout me a Ponytail...Ain't nothin' sadder than a balding guy w/long hair....

Boreas
01-16-2010, 11:19 AM
W/my ever-increasing Baloney Slice back yonder, I wish I COULD sprout me a Ponytail...Ain't nothin' sadder than a balding guy w/long hair....

Nature's mullet

John

HatchetJack
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
"God almighty, mana from inbred heaven. Hey freak boy: 1976 called, it wants
its hairsyle back. "

From the Joe Dirt movie:D

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, I'm all respectable-looking now. Surprised my dog didn't bite me when I got home. Funny, my hair didn't look that gray before the haircut. There's a lot more brown hair in that ponytail than there is on my head now. I'll just call it "distinguished."

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow
01-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Well, I'm all respectable-looking now. Surprised my dog didn't bite me when I got home. Funny, my hair didn't look that gray before the haircut. There's a lot more brown hair in that ponytail than there is on my head now. I'll just call it "distinguished."

Regards,

D-Ray

I'm sure you're looking very impotent and extinguished.:D Now put on a suit and you'll look downright civilized. Bummer.

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm sure you're looking very impotent and extinguished.:D Now put on a suit and you'll look downright civilized. Bummer.

If I could only look as distinguished as Chauncey.:)

Now dadgummit, where did I put those tasseled loafers.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
01-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Now dadgummit, where did I put those tasseled loafers.

Regards,

D-Ray

In the closet next to the Hartmann brief case?

John

d-ray657
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
OK, Doucanoe, back to my reply. (Another one of my failings is my inability to remember real names)

I have not seen you as one who makes personal attacks. Valid criticism is not a personal attack, even if it happens to be criticism of a personal habit. I did not take the comment about internet couch potatoes as directed toward me, but, if the foo shits, wear it. Besides, it's not often that I am able to make a literary reference that actually fits.

I don't think this is a community of faceless names behind a keyboard. That most here do not know what the rest of us look like, does not mean that our personality and individuality is hidden from other posters. (I do recall what you look like from Jay's, and I remember partly because you resemble (no offense) a lawyer I know. As a matter of fact, I recall starting out by telling you that you weren't supposed to be there.:o) Both here and on AK, I have noticed an effort by most to communicate as friends. All of us are capable of getting sideways with others, but most adults can work that out (and most of the youngsters that participate as well).

I have also noticed that empty rhetoric doesn't usually get much respect around here. However, even shallow thought is appreciated if it at least includes some effort at contributing to a discussion. Otherwise, I wouldn't be of much use on this board.

OK, enough starry-eyed optimism for today.

Regards,

D-Ray

doucanoe
01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
OK, Doucanoe, back to my reply. (Another one of my failings is my inability to remember real names)... (I do recall what you look like from Jay's, and I remember partly because you resemble (no offense) a lawyer I know. As a matter of fact, I recall starting out by telling you that you weren't supposed to be there.:o)

Regards,

D-Ray

No offence taken I can assure you :p Thats funny! I do remember our initial conversation and remember being puzzled by what you had said. I just wrote it off to "jet lagged" audio travelers and confusion as to who was who. I think we sorted it all out more or less shortly after everyone settled in :D

RC