PDA

View Full Version : Pulling off the freeway

piece-itpete
05-14-2014, 12:59 PM
the other day in downtown Akron Ohio, the rubber city, there were two guys working opposite corners: 'will work for food'.

Interestingly, one was talking on a cell phone.

Pete

bobabode
05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Which one did you hire? :rolleyes:

Tom Joad
05-14-2014, 01:08 PM
the other day in downtown Akron Ohio, the rubber city, there were two guys working opposite corners: 'will work for food'.

Interestingly, one was talking on a cell phone.

Pete

So what?

Most street people have a "burner".

You can get them for ten, fifteen bucks tops.

My cell phone is a burner too by the way.

piece-itpete
05-14-2014, 01:19 PM
I use them too. Though it's probably an Obamaphone he was using, I don't know. I have noticed that among the poorer folks phones are a huge status symbol.

Bob, none. They are fishing for money. I once came across a guy after I pulled out of McDonalds, near Christmas, I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted my value meal. He said, 'No thanks, I just ate' :) Looking more closely he was wearing very nice new Nikes.

I've bumped into real cases though. My favorite, back in my wilder days, I was cruising around the hood drinking beer, came up to an intersection, rolled down my window and handed my empty to an old bum collecting cans! Recycling in action :D

Pete

Tom Joad
05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
I use them too. Though it's probably an Obamaphone he was using, I don't know. I have noticed that among the poorer folks phones are a huge status symbol.

Bob, none. They are fishing for money. I once came across a guy after I pulled out of McDonalds, near Christmas, I stopped and asked the guy if he wanted my value meal. He said, 'No thanks, I just ate' :) Looking more closely he was wearing very nice new Nikes.

I've bumped into real cases though. My favorite, back in my wilder days, I was cruising around the hood drinking beer, came up to an intersection, rolled down my window and handed my empty to an old bum collecting cans! Recycling in action :D

Pete

Those used burner phones get put to good use too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4H6gK81d5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgw99VoCssU

icenine
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Phones are big deal to everyone....

I think they are commodities now we are way past the point of an iphone being a status symbol. Maybe the poor like sugar on their Wheaties too:rolleyes:

bobabode
05-14-2014, 01:33 PM

Pete

They're really Reaganphones Pete.;)

Tom Joad
05-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Pete

Well that sure as Hell proves that Americas poor are in the 1% worldwide and we don't need any of these goddamned welfare programs doesn't it Pete?

Tom Joad
05-14-2014, 01:36 PM

They don't want to hear that Bob.

I have never yet seen a right winger that was willing to acknowledge that.

piece-itpete
05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
Sure does! Man, they'll make a sport out of anything.

I agree that cellphones are everywhere. I guess it was a matter of time.

I'm willing to give Ronnie the credit :)

Pete

Dondilion
05-14-2014, 02:53 PM
The poor have close ones too... mother, father, sister, child, brother, and the poor also fall in love. :D

Further more having your own personal digits heightens your singularity...means you are special in this confusing universe.

Wasillaguy
05-14-2014, 03:39 PM
The poor have close ones too... mother, father, sister, child, brother, and the poor also fall in love. :D

Further more having your own personal digits heightens your singularity...means you are special in this confusing universe.

It's strange that with all this ability to stay connected, we have higher divorce rates than before.

MrPots
05-14-2014, 03:44 PM
I've never figured out the draw. Those phones are a fucking nuisance, they are expensive, people abuse them, and why would anyone want to be on call 24/7?

I have a cheap land line I use maybe once a month to order a pizza. (Glory Days all meat NY style pizza with black olives, the best freaking pizza on earth) I maintain I'm just not important enough for a cell phone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Guess what? The boss doesn't call me at all times night and day, on vacation and on weekends! :) And if I have an emergency, that's what my land line is for.

whell
05-14-2014, 03:47 PM

Then it would have to be one of those 1980's cell phones.

http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/uploads/cellphone_design/dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

Dondilion
05-14-2014, 03:57 PM
I've never figured out the draw. Those phones are a fucking nuisance, they are expensive, people abuse them, and why would anyone want to be on call 24/7?

I have a cheap land line I use maybe once a month to order a pizza. (Glory Days all meat NY style pizza with black olives, the best freaking pizza on earth) I maintain I'm just not important enough for a cell phone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Guess what? The boss doesn't call me at all times night and day, on vacation and on weekends! :) And if I have an emergency, that's what my land line is for.

Have a love one who has to be on the road. Or you are out and the person who is suppose to pick up your child cannot make it.

Cell phones make necessary communication easy.

bobabode
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Then it would have to be one of those 1980's cell phones.

http://netdna.webdesignerdepot.com/uploads/cellphone_design/dkmb86g_487pr55s2hc_b.jpg

Yes Mike we know how much of a sweetheart you are when it comes to 'handouts' for the poor.

MrPots
05-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Have a love one who has to be on the road. Or you are out and the person who is suppose to pick up your child cannot make it.

Cell phones make necessary communication easy.

My missus has one although I admit I don't know the number. I can see why some folks want them. I don't.

donquixote99
05-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Uh, you got it in your wallet then, right?

Now check and make sure.

MrPots
05-14-2014, 04:28 PM
:rolleyes:

Ummm...no, I don't carry a wallet. I carry a money clip with bills, my ID and a debit card (when I remember to put it in my pocket)

Shit..now I'm embarrassed.....

I know my home phone number......

Wasillaguy
05-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Wasilla had a panhandler for a while that sat at the entrance to McDonalds, chain smoking. He'd only be there if it was nice weather, and only in summer. He yelled out one day when the wife was in the car with me "Could you spare a couple dollars?"
Wife shot back "Not so you can buy cigarettes, sorry"

bobabode
05-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Wasilla had a panhandler for a while that sat at the entrance to McDonalds, chain smoking. He'd only be there if it was nice weather, and only in summer. He yelled out one day when the wife was in the car with me "Could you spare a couple dollars?"
Wife shot back "Not so you can buy cigarettes, sorry"

Palin's ex-son in law? ;)

Tom Joad
05-14-2014, 07:13 PM

Get yourself a cheap burner like I have. They are really handy, especially if you are traveling and you can do like I do, leave he damned thing shut off most of the time so no one can bug you.

The Pantech Caper has an awesome feature where you can block all incoming calls except for your contacts.

Wasillaguy
05-14-2014, 07:14 PM
I've never seen him. I did see the guy with the cowboy hat from that one show where they race across the Alaskan forest. He was going into the gas station convenience store. I've also seen that girl from the ice trucker show lots of times. She lives just down the street and rides her horse in front of my house all the time.

donquixote99
05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
:rolleyes:

Ummm...no, I don't carry a wallet. I carry a money clip with bills, my ID and a debit card (when I remember to put it in my pocket)

Shit..now I'm embarrassed.....

I know my home phone number......

Embarrassed? Be proud that you have your life so simplified and well organized that you don't have to carry a wallet. I've got a dozen or more cards that I have to have, I guess, and that's the wallet's big job....

But I can think of scenarios where the wife's cell would come in real handy, as long as she has one. Of course I depend on my cell to remember such things.

MrPots
05-15-2014, 08:17 AM
Get yourself a cheap burner like I have. They are really handy, especially if you are traveling and you can do like I do, leave he damned thing shut off most of the time so no one can bug you.

The Pantech Caper has an awesome feature where you can block all incoming calls except for your contacts.

How much? Can I lay down 30 bucks and leave it at that?

Tom Joad
05-15-2014, 08:21 AM
How much? Can I lay down 30 bucks and leave it at that?

Nah, ya gotta buy minutes too.

MrPots
05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Ah, there's the rub. Just call me a rebel. I don't do social networking, I don't drive fast because I'm never "in such a big fucking hurry I have to drive like an idiot", I don't play computer games, and I don't need a cell phone.

:)

Tom Joad
05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Ah, there's the rub. Just call me a rebel. I don't do social networking, I don't drive fast because I'm never "in such a big fucking hurry I have to drive like an idiot", I don't play computer games, and I don't need a cell phone.

:)

I'm in agreement on all those points.

But I do like having a simple burner phone which I only use sparingly.

They are really good for travel.

I mean what the fuck do you do if you are on the road and you need to make a phone call?

Have you tried looking for a pay phone lately?

There ain't none.

And the last time I used one which was several years ago I had to wait until this homeless looking Dude with about four green and black stumps in his mouth that were what was left of his teeth got finished with it. Do you really want to put your mouth up to a phone after seeing something like that?

Tom Joad
05-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Just call me a rebel.

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7V2dSvxpo

MrPots
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
I'm in agreement on all those points.

But I do like having a simple burner phone which I only use sparingly.

They are really good for travel.

I mean what the fuck do you do if you are on the road and you need to make a phone call?

Have you tried looking for a pay phone lately?

There ain't none.

And the last time I used one which was several years ago I had to wait until this homeless looking Dude with about four green and black stumps in his mouth that were what was left of his teeth got finished with it. Do you really want to put your mouth up to a phone after seeing something like that?

I hoof it.....

Tom Joad
05-15-2014, 09:36 AM
I hoof it.....

"See the way he walks down the street
Watch the way he shuffles his feet
My, he holds his head up high
When he goes walking by, he's my guy
He's a rebel and he'll never ever be any good
He's a rebel 'cause he never ever does what he should"

MrPots
05-15-2014, 10:05 AM
LOL....Thanks for that Tom, I need a laugh today.....

Wasillaguy
05-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Actually, there are more payphones than you might realize. There are internet sites that list them, so you could prepare prior to a car trip and bring a listing. Or you could go old school and simply do without. There are still vast stretches of road up here without coverage, and many of the places people go to fish, hunt, and recreate are out of range. Folks seem to survive at a fairly good rate.

BlueStreak
05-15-2014, 06:09 PM
People who can't go without a cell phone for five minutes kill me. Especially old farts like us. If you're over fifty and "can't live" without your cell, what in the hell did you do for the first thirty+ years?:confused:

Tom Joad
05-16-2014, 06:21 AM
There are still vast stretches of road up here without coverage,

Well down here in REAL AMERICA anywhere you can go in a two wheel drive vehicle has service.

JJIII
05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Well down here in REAL AMERICA anywhere you can go in a two wheel drive vehicle has service.

Except in my house. I have to go outside and down to the very end of my deck to get what is even then very spotty service.:mad:

Pio1980
05-16-2014, 07:51 AM
My smartphone is my main portal to the world now, with NPR second and TV and home computer third. I went to Verizon for better coverage at home and otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dondilion
05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
People who can't go without a cell phone for five minutes kill me. Especially old farts like us. If you're over fifty and "can't live" without your cell, what in the hell did you do for the first thirty+ years?:confused:

Old farts need cell phones for emergency. For example so many old farts have bad knees.

MrPots
05-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Exactly......

Tom Joad
Except in my house. I have to go outside and down to the very end of my deck to get what is even then very spotty service.:mad:

I said REAL AMERICA.

The only parts of Tennessee that are in REAL AMERICA are Nashville and Memphis.

Everything else is part of REDNECKISTAN

BlueStreak

That's because you live in Podunk.;)

Dave

MrPots
05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Speaking of Podunk...what's it like living in eastern Tn.? How's the cost of living and political climate?

JJIII
05-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Political climate, pretty much to the right of center. Some would say very much.

As to cost of living...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10731376.htm

and this...

http://eteda.org/data_library/demographics/cost_of_living.aspx

Another...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retire-here-not-there-tennessee-2014-01-14

I'm just outside Bristol, right at the foot of Holston Mountain. Beautiful country. Lots of hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. The Appalachian Trail is about 10 miles away.

icenine
05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
I sometimes think how cell phones may have decreased crimes. I mean phone lines to homes cannot be cut anymore, and if you have a smart phone there is a gps on them
so it should be possible to track missing persons to a certain extent much better than before.

Only a fool can not see the usefulness of the mobile phone. And in developing nations like the Philippines, where you had to be wealthy to afford a landline, these devices were a revolution.

Tom Joad
05-16-2014, 09:22 AM
I like the old style flip phones.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/18aedcto6vftqjpg.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/18aedcto6vftqjpg.jpg.html)

MrPots
05-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Political climate, pretty much to the right of center. Some would say very much.

As to cost of living...

and this...

Another...

I'm just outside Bristol, right at the foot of Holston Mountain. Beautiful country. Lots of hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. The Appalachian Trail is about 10 miles away.

Thanks

Dondilion
05-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I sometimes think how cell phones may have decreased crimes. I mean phone lines to homes cannot be cut anymore, and if you have a smart phone there is a gps on them
so it should be possible to track missing persons to a certain extent much better than before.

Only a fool can not see the usefulness of the mobile phone. And in developing nations like the Philippines, where you had to be wealthy to afford a landline, these devices where a revolution.

Indeed!

piece-itpete
05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Oo! Oo! I get to say it again:

I want people to reach out and touch... someone else.

:p

Pete

piece-itpete
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd use a Star Trek communicator phone.

Pete

Pio1980
05-16-2014, 10:09 AM
I like the old style flip phones.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/18aedcto6vftqjpg.jpg (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/18aedcto6vftqjpg.jpg.html)

They were Star Trek cool.

BlueStreak
05-16-2014, 12:26 PM

As to cost of living...

and this...

Another...

Yes, that is not an ugly place.

Dave

MrPots
05-16-2014, 02:50 PM
They were Star Trek cool.

Isn't it amazing though some of that cool stuff they did on those Star Trek movies is now part of reality? Like TV phones and shit.... My Galaxy pad is amazing...

bobabode
05-16-2014, 03:01 PM
The best thing about Tennessee is that it's so close to Kentucky...;)

piece-itpete
05-16-2014, 03:06 PM
This just came up recently - back in the 70s my mom got a calculator for my dad for Father's day. It was a 'superthin' T/I stainless non-scientific calc, I remember it said 'thinnest in the world', very expensive! And much, much thicker than an I phone.

Pete

JJIII
05-16-2014, 03:18 PM
The best thing about Tennessee is that it's so close to Kentucky...;)

You've never had any Tennessee 'shine have you?:D

bobabode
05-16-2014, 03:32 PM

I'll be your huckleberry. Trade? :D

MrPots
05-16-2014, 04:19 PM

Heh...

This is weird. The missus and I have been making plans to escape Topeka and move to SC to be near my kids....but I could never quite warm up to SC. Even though I like SC well enough, and particularly Charleston, The landscape, the housing, the low country just didn't click with me. I've spent the day researching Knoxville and the surrounding area and we've decided to change our plans. :D

If you smell something odd in the air next year that'll be me....

bobabode
05-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Heh...

This is weird. The missus and I have been making plans to escape Topeka and move to SC to be near my kids....but I could never quite warm up to SC. Even though I like SC well enough, and particularly Charleston, The landscape, the housing, the low country just didn't click with me. I've spent the day researching Knoxville and the surrounding area and we've decided to change our plans. :D

There you go Pots. I have two brothers living in Tennessee and those California boys love it. One is in Memphis and the other is livin' the Tibetan buddhist hillbilly dream in the eastern part. Prayer flags and no hunting signs festoon his property. He's got his own herd of white tail lawn rats and several turkey. :D
I might have to pack up my old Guild D4 six string and drop in on JJ one of these fall seasons. The Great Smokies in fall colors is on my bucket list. ;)

donquixote99
05-16-2014, 05:08 PM
I've seen the Smokes in the Spring, when I've been there. A million shades of green. :)

But now that you mention it, haven't made it in the fall yet....

bobabode
05-16-2014, 06:36 PM
I've seen the Smokes in the Spring, when I've been there. A million shades of green. :)

But now that you mention it, haven't made it in the fall yet....

We drove the the Great Smokey highway and camped back in the late sixties, one long ago summer. Truly spectacular and damn nice people. I hope those Tennis Shoeians have kept up with the maintenance. ;)

bobabode
05-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Hey yuh Pete, I think your thread has been derailed into a travelogue. Bitchin', ain't it? :D

icenine
05-16-2014, 08:32 PM
I used to visit my grandparents in this small town near Memphis (next to Covington TN) called Brighton. Like a one red-light town. My mom's stepfather (Grandaddy Robbins...where I got my name) had all of these guns in his garage...he was the opposite of me I guess but a really great man from what I remember and how others in my family refer to him.

Once he took me around his Tennessee environs in this Chevy Camino...the one that looked like a sawed off station wagon. He had his pistol in a holster next to his left leg under the dash. He loved buying guns at pawn shops from what I remember.

It never really dawned on me until later in life that I was named after her stepfather instead of her real dad... I always sort of wonder about that but maybe she could not really remember her dad raising her.

JJIII
05-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I'll be your huckleberry. Trade? :D

Watcha got?:)

JJIII
05-17-2014, 08:01 AM
Heh...

You would be next door to Terry Dewick. That's a good place to be.;)

JJIII
05-17-2014, 08:04 AM
There you go Pots. I have two brothers living in Tennessee and those California boys love it. One is in Memphis and the other is livin' the Tibetan buddhist hillbilly dream in the eastern part. Prayer flags and no hunting signs festoon his property. He's got his own herd of white tail lawn rats and several turkey. :D
I might have to pack up my old Guild D4 six string and drop in on JJ one of these fall seasons. The Great Smokies in fall colors is on my bucket list. ;)

You do that and we'll have to go out to the Carter Family Fold.

http://www.carterfamilyfold.org/

Pio1980
05-17-2014, 09:34 AM

There's a good reason to look for some affordable vintage Mac gear.

bobabode
05-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Watcha got?:)

Unfortunately sending hooch over state lines might get you a visit from those mofo's from ATF. :(

mpholland
05-17-2014, 10:27 AM
My missus has one although I admit I don't know the number. I can see why some folks want them. I don't.

I don't have, want or need a cell phone. I seem to be one of the few people I know that actually has a land line. My wife has one she keeps in the car for emergencies. Funny how often our 30yr old daughter has "emergencies". ;)

JJIII
05-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately sending hooch over state lines might get you a visit from those mofo's from ATF. :(

Too much government!;)

bobabode
05-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Too much government!;)

Damn stinkin' revenooers! :D

piece-itpete
05-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Hey yuh Pete, I think your thread has been derailed into a travelogue. Bitchin', ain't it? :D

Freeway, travelling, moonshine, it's all good :D

Pete

MrPots
05-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Had to Google that one.... :rolleyes:

MrPots
05-19-2014, 01:58 PM
I don't have, want or need a cell phone. I seem to be one of the few people I know that actually has a land line. My wife has one she keeps in the car for emergencies. Funny how often our 30yr old daughter has "emergencies". ;)

Same here. I got my land line $10.00 on sale....:rolleyes:

Pio1980
05-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Some of you know that I'm doing some audio work for The Phantom of the Fox at his penthouse apt in the theatre. I have been approached a couple times after parking in the lot and asked for a handout for food and acquiesced once. The caretaker asked I not encourage them saying that they are street addicts, so it goes.

piece-itpete
05-19-2014, 02:21 PM
It's a judgment call. I wouldn't give money to a guy on a cellphone but there's a good lot of seriously messed up homeless people out there. If I have it and they're not threatening I've paid it forward and what they do with it is their business imo, although I understand those who buy them goods or food.

Pete

bobabode
05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
It's a judgment call. I wouldn't give money to a guy on a cellphone but there's a good lot of seriously messed up homeless people out there. If I have it and they're not threatening I've paid it forward and what they do with it is their business imo, although I understand those who buy them goods or food.

Pete

I try to have a few fivers in my wallet at all times. It's the least I can do to help. If they buy beer, that's cool with me. It isn't mine once I float it on the waters anyhow. My comment when someone hits me with a god bless is, "Most of us are a couple of paychecks away from the street, best of luck my friend". :(

Meanwhile the 'pubbies keep blocking extended un-employment benefits for our neighbors who are looking for a job. :mad:

one1
05-19-2014, 06:44 PM
If I got it I give it,after it leaves my hands I dont care any more.I believe in helping someone out,but I am more prone to helping someone I know that needs it.

one1
05-19-2014, 06:47 PM
That is one thing I can say about the Chatholic Church,me and my wife were living out of the car and they fed us and gave us vouchers to stay at a shelter.And I am Not Chatolic.Sorry hope I dont offend any one by saying this.

barbara
05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
There is a good chance that which you received was paid for by federal dollars.
Catholic charities receives a lot of taxpayer money to provide social services.

one1
05-20-2014, 06:25 AM
Well help is Help,And When it comes to my Wife being taking care of I have no shame.I will be the first to say Organized Religion is not perfect but like I said a meal is a meal,or as stated years ago,A hero aint nothin but a sandwich.Until you have been there you might not understand.

barbara
05-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Well help is Help,And When it comes to my Wife being taking care of I have no shame.I will be the first to say Organized Religion is not perfect but like I said a meal is a meal,or as stated years ago,A hero aint nothin but a sandwich.Until you have been there you might not understand.

Been there, do understand.

I just have a problem with organized religion taking credit for what is provided by tax payers.

one1
05-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Under stood yes they do take the credit ,But at least they do offer something for that money.It can get to be a catch 22 if it is looked at under a microscope.probaly not the best way to compare but consider the source.

Pio1980
05-20-2014, 08:01 AM
A family in a car at a rest stop or parking lot is something I wouldn't think twice about helping.

Pio1980
05-20-2014, 08:05 AM
I always donate to the Salvation Army, I admire the Good Works of the Catholic Church but they seriously need to establish a working relationship with the realities of this planet regarding social issues like family planning and population management.

one1
05-20-2014, 08:41 AM
I always donate to the Salvation Army, I admire the Good Works of the Catholic Church but they seriously need to establish a working relationship with the realities of this planet regarding social issues like family planning and population management.

Organized religion is more of a buissness practice than spiritualcaregiver as Intended,Or hmm what was it intended for? anyway,all are way off base,but some good does trickle out.just like politics ,it is way to far gone to be fixable.

one1
05-20-2014, 08:44 AM

I give very generously to the VA outreach,they are a first hand straight to the recipeint type organization.Salvation Army is another good one.

piece-itpete
05-20-2014, 11:36 AM
That is one thing I can say about the Chatholic Church,me and my wife were living out of the car and they fed us and gave us vouchers to stay at a shelter.And I am Not Chatolic.Sorry hope I dont offend any one by saying this.

Darn you! :p

The Catholic Church is the biggest charity in the world. From what I can tell they do indeed get 55-60% from the government, but that is because they are the most efficient at distributing it.

Pete

barbara
05-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Darn you! :p

The Catholic Church is the biggest charity in the world. From what I can tell they do indeed get 55-60% from the government, but that is because they are the most efficient at distributing it.

Pete

I don't think it is because they are so good at distribution....I think it is because they are good at bidding for gov contracts.

piece-itpete
05-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Have you even seen them at work with the poor and homeless? They're everywhere.

Do priests and nuns get paid for it?

Pete

barbara
05-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Have you even seen them at work with the poor and homeless? They're everywhere.

Do priests and nuns get paid for it?

Pete

Yes, I have seen them work with the poor and homeless.

A good rule of thumb to follow.... If a non profit requests you participate in religious instruction or prayer, then the service provided is not gov funded. If you can receive services without the religious obligation, then it is probably gov funded.

piece-itpete
05-20-2014, 12:47 PM
It makes sense, thanks!

Pete

one1
05-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Yes, I have seen them work with the poor and homeless.

A good rule of thumb to follow.... If a non profit requests you participate in religious instruction or prayer, then the service provided is not gov funded. If you can receive services without the religious obligation, then it is probably gov funded.

I have sat in on some of those you eat you listen deals,I strated thinking halfway in,you know I am not as hungry as I thought.LOL I dont make people jump through hoops and I dont want toeither in order to get aid.one of the reasons we dont get ebt assistance,i dont want to sell my soul in order to get food.