PDA

View Full Version : US added 217000 jobs

Dondilion
06-07-2014, 09:45 AM
The US jobs outlook maintains a positive tenor.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/6/6/jobs-report-may.html

Tom Joad
06-07-2014, 01:32 PM

Yeah but you're getting that from Aljazeera.

Them's terrists! :eek:

merrylander
06-07-2014, 02:31 PM

But it used to be that approx 15% of jobs were that low paying type, now it is up to slightly more than 50%

Dondilion
06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
But it used to be that approx 15% of jobs were that low paying type, now it is up to slightly more than 50%

That is the nature of our modern US service heavy economy.

Dondilion
06-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Yeah but you're getting that from Aljazeera.

Them's terrists! :eek:

I know. :D

I have come to realize that Aljazeera uses some of the best writers and
their articles are more in depth than say the BBC.

Tom Joad
06-07-2014, 09:14 PM

And that's the real problem.

We probably have enough jobs if they paid decent.

But as it is now it takes two, three, or more jobs to support a family where it should take only one.

BlueStreak
06-07-2014, 09:21 PM

But as it is now it takes two, three, or more jobs to support a family where it should take only one.

The better paying jobs put "disposable" income into peoples pockets and create demand. The low paying jobs barely pay anyone enough to survive, if that.

Guess which one is better for economic growth.................:rolleyes:

Yet, this point seems to be a bit beyond the grasp of all too many of our countrymen.

Dave

hillbilly
06-07-2014, 09:47 PM

I have to agree. If I had to buy our house now theres no way we could afford it.

hillbilly
06-07-2014, 10:45 PM
The better paying jobs put "disposable" income into peoples pockets and create demand. The low paying jobs barely pay anyone enough to survive, if that.

Guess which one is better for economic growth.................:rolleyes:

Yet, this point seems to be a bit beyond the grasp of all too many of our countrymen.

Dave

True, but there are a few that just aren't going to spend a dime. Like a friend of mine up the holler. He makes about 32.00hr and drives his old rusty 1982 Ford F-350 flatbed truck with big block 460 4bbl 46 miles one way to the Nissan plant and has been working there over 20 years. It has 4.11 gears with grandma low transmission ( no over drive ) and about 55 mph is all you can go without over running the engine. Has plenty of money but buys cheap used tires rather than new for his truck, and riding mower.. never replaces any tires with new. All tools are from yard sales, fleamarket, etc.. used rather than new. Same with farm equipment. He's so tight I watched him cut a long bolt down and grind it on each end and use it as a push-rod when a push-rod broke in his tractor engine. It has no oil passage through the center of it like the original but some how it's ran about 5 years rigged. If I had his money I would have just bought a push rod. His farm is paid for... but his money he will not spend. Few years ago he showed me he had over 80k in his checking ( and he had just paid off his farm then so that number I'm sure has grown ),.. says he isn't about to put anything in savings to be taxed on interest, even if it's small. Also said he's not going to disturb his 401k until he's sure it'll all be his when he's ready for it and not be penalized. Only money he really spends is on gas for that old gas hog truck that I rebuilt the engine in 08?? because he wanted to keep driving it rather than buy something better and cheaper to operate.

I'm the same way with my 1994 truck, but it's a little 4 cyl and gets slightly over 30 mpg. I wouldn't hang on to it as daily driver and keep it running all these years if I was only getting 8 mpg though. Well, maybe if I could afford to maybe I would, dunno about daily driver restricted to 55 mph at 8 mpg. A road trip would take forever on I-40 today and it'd probably piss off alot of people being in their way. :confused:

BlueStreak
06-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Well, that's you and him.

Not trying to be nasty, but, there are just over 310,000,000 more Americans outside the holler. And, not very many of us are content to live so tight.

I have an old truck that I drive to work too. 1997 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 liter (318) two wheel drive. 211,000 miles. Over the last month I've replaced tie rods, ball joints, timing chain, water pump and thermostat. All new hoses. Going back a year, you can add the heater core, fuel pump, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor to that list. Plus I upgraded the brakes with new calipers, ceramic pads and slotted rotors.

Did all of the work myself but used all new, high quality parts. No remans. Trying to get 300,000 miles out of it.

She has dents, scratches, rust and the headliner has fallen, but she runs as strong as a team of Clydesdales.

Dave

hillbilly
06-08-2014, 03:37 AM
No rust of any sort on our vehicles ( not even the 79 Camaro ) but my daily driver truck is smashed pretty good. Wife hit a deer at 80 mph and they totaled it. I refused to let 'em junk it and have been driving it as it sits since she hit the deer 14 years ago. Doesn't bother me that it has no hood hinges ( sheered them both out of the metal ) and it's wired to the fenders in the rear. I sold six hotrods, and three trucks but kept my banged up gas saver 94 S10, one nice 99 S10 still mint with very low miles that I never drive, Camaro, two 2000 Cavaliers, and a Saturn. All I got now.. did have a yard full of gas hogs and used to enjoy them.

But you are right, many would spend money if they had it,.. but getting it to spend is another story when employers are sitting on it because they know they can. Sad but true IMO. The fear is in the people.. they've heard ''if we get taxed to death we'll lay-off and work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop.. or if we are forced to pay more we'll lay-off and work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop, or if we are forced to pay your insurance we'll lay-off and either work the hell out of the smaller work force or close shop.'' Who's in control, really? It's to the point where the local Ford Dealership started offering 9.00 flat rate to new hire mechanics with ASE certs and expecting that to cover 20k in tool dept ( and that is being very skimpy with tools because the box they prefer you to buy costs half that with no tools in it ) pluss pay their bills at home. The trade has become a joke anymore unless your independent. And what makes it even worse is the fact that they charge the living shit out of the poor customer while paying the tech next to nothing.

BlueStreak
06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I see that too.

But, to some people, businesses acting like this is called "freedom" and the "American way" and they want to give employers even more of that.

I think it's bullshit and anathema to the "American Way", not representative of it.

But, I'm just a stupid "libtard". What do I know?

Dave

Tom Joad
06-14-2014, 09:34 PM
Like a friend of mine up the holler. He makes about 32.00hr and drives his old rusty 1982 Ford F-350 flatbed truck with big block 460 4bbl 46 miles one way to the Nissan plant and has been working there over 20 years. It has 4.11 gears with grandma low transmission ( no over drive ) and about 55 mph is all you can go without over running the engine.

Holy shit!

No wonder he doesn't spend much.

Most of his money is going for gas!

He couldn't be getting more than about 5-6 miles to the gallon with a rig like that!

I had a 1974 Buick Electra 225 with the 455 4bbl and it only got 8, and that was with a 2.73 rear end.

Tom Joad
06-14-2014, 09:39 PM
Who's in control, really? It's to the point where the local Ford Dealership started offering 9.00 flat rate to new hire mechanics with ASE certs and expecting that to cover 20k in tool dept ( and that is being very skimpy with tools because the box they prefer you to buy costs half that with no tools in it ) pluss pay their bills at home.

Good Gawd!

That's all they pay the poor schmucks that work on the car?

9 bucks an hour?

While they charge what?

$80 bucks an hour?

Plus they pad the hours too?

Shit, the bastards should be in fucking jail!

piece-itpete
06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
I spoke to quite a few mechs when my nephew was interested in wrenching and they all said to a man don't do it. A couple did suggest diesel.

Pete

MrPots
06-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Not trying to be nasty, but, there are just over 310,000,000 more Americans outside the holler. And, not very many of us are content to live so tight.

I have an old truck that I drive to work too. 1997 Dodge Dakota, 5.2 liter (318) two wheel drive. 211,000 miles. Over the last month I've replaced tie rods, ball joints, timing chain, water pump and thermostat. All new hoses. Going back a year, you can add the heater core, fuel pump, alternator, plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor to that list. Plus I upgraded the brakes with new calipers, ceramic pads and slotted rotors.

Did all of the work myself but used all new, high quality parts. No remans. Trying to get 300,000 miles out of it.

She has dents, scratches, rust and the headliner has fallen, but she runs as strong as a team of Clydesdales.

Dave

Yup...no point in dumping a good vehicle. My 99 Tahoe runs great at 200,000 miles. I don't skimp on the maintenance though. New tires, brakes and shocks last year. Universal joints and tie rod ends. Had the wiper motor replaced this year. Air is a little weak and other than a few burnt out dash bulbs she's good to go mechanically and a hell of a lot cheaper than payments.

(her paint is coming off the hood and roof and she's got a serious case of hail dent....but that character my man...character....)

mpholland
06-16-2014, 03:04 PM
I have an 04 Dakota 4x4 and an 09 Corolla that the wife drives. If the economy were doing better I would probably buy a new truck, but at the moment I don't see that in my future for a few more years. I am glad I don't have my old 72 F250 anymore. It got just under 7MPG. My Dakota gets about 15 and it is still 10 bucks/day to go to work.

4-2-7
06-18-2014, 02:43 AM

Dave
And the grafics and gun rack:rolleyes:

http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/dc/dcad142f1dc131f140cb1d97d542ebcbb5751e99804bb831e1 e2af03ada72701/sonnywilke2.jpg

mpholland
06-18-2014, 03:42 PM
And the grafics and gun rack:rolleyes:

http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/dc/dcad142f1dc131f140cb1d97d542ebcbb5751e99804bb831e1 e2af03ada72701/sonnywilke2.jpg

When did Dodge convert to the blue oval?

Fast_Eddie
06-18-2014, 03:55 PM
It used to be Unions protected workers and kept wages reasonable. Now they've been gutted, our manufacturing base is gone, and people laugh when we talk about paying people a decent wage.

What. You think putting windshield wipers on a Chrysler was harder than cooking burgers at McDonalds?

BlueStreak
06-18-2014, 04:41 PM
It used to be Unions protected workers and kept wages reasonable. Now they've been gutted, our manufacturing base is gone, and people laugh when we talk about paying people a decent wage.

What. You think putting windshield wipers on a Chrysler was harder than cooking burgers at McDonalds?

The issue is that "reasonable" is subjective when it comes to wages. Our country has become overrun with cheapskates who always think people are overpaid no matter how little we pay them......

Well, except themselves of course.:rolleyes:

Dave

merrylander
06-19-2014, 06:38 AM
The issue is that "reasonable" is subjective when it comes to wages. Our country has become overrun with cheapskates who always think people are overpaid no matter how little we pay them......

Well, except themselves of course.:rolleyes:

Dave

Now the AVERAGE CEO get $10,000,000 base salary and that does not include the perks.

MrPots
06-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Are those the CEO's that complain that their deadbeat full time employees make so little they must use social services? So they lobby congress to slash social service funding?

VanishingPoi
07-01-2014, 07:58 PM

That is why I like them.

finnbow
07-01-2014, 08:06 PM

The only news on TV that competes with Al Jazeera and BBC is the PBS Newshour. CNN, MSNBC and Faux are completely worthless with the possible exceptions of Morning Joe & Chuck Todd's morning shows on MSNBC and Fareed Zakaria on CNN on Sundays. Evenings on any of the three big American cable "news" outlets is a total wasteland.

piece-itpete
07-02-2014, 10:23 AM
As long as Israel is not on the menu.

I'll put France24 up there. Their slant is much less visible.

Pete

Dondilion
07-02-2014, 10:34 AM
As long as Israel is not on the menu.

I'll put France24 up there. Their slant is much less visible.

Pete

I guess that is part of the reason we hit the French bank so hard.

merrylander
07-02-2014, 10:53 AM
The only news on TV that competes with Al Jazeera and BBC is the PBS Newshour. CNN, MSNBC and Faux are completely worthless with the possible exceptions of Morning Joe & Chuck Todd's morning shows on MSNBC and Fareed Zakaria on CNN on Sundays. Evenings on any of the three big American cable "news" outlets is a total wasteland.

As a sidebar to this BBC's Lyse Doucet just received the OBE among the many other awards she has received over the years. Pretty impressive for a Canadian girl from New Brunswick