PDA

View Full Version : M.L.King Day.

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Have the day off for the Holiday. Now that th Revox TT is up and running and that project is behind me, I figured I could use today to do some yard work.

Anyhow, I thought I would just stop by and comment on the spirit of the day.

I think MLK was a remarkable man in that he tried to teach folks to stand up for themselves through non-violent protest. Apparently not everyone was listening, on either side, but he tried. He was a good man. R.I.P. Dr. King.

Dave

Sandy G
01-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Amen. MLK had some warts, but who don't ? And at least he TRIED to make the world a little better...

merrylander
01-18-2010, 09:00 AM
He did good, sure did not desrve the death he had.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
A good day to reflect on the power of one man to inspire us to better things.

John

Fast_Eddie
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Amen. MLK had some warts, but who don't ? And at least he TRIED to make the world a little better...

Got a lot more done than most of us ever will. Pretty amazing when you really stop and reflect how different our country was back then. Inspirational.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Got a lot more done than most of us ever will. Pretty amazing when you really stop and reflect how different our country was back then. Inspirational.

I grew up at a time and in a place where Jim Crow was a fact of life. We didn't have segregated schools, exactly, just de facto segregation. There were no black kids in my elementary school and only two in middle school. There were, however, blacks-only colleges and universities in the state system. We had the rest too: segregated lunch counters, drinking fountains, restrooms and swimming pools, "colored" balconies in movie theaters, all the typical stuff.

Being white, I never really gave it much thought until Dr. King woke me up. Like the rest of us, I owe him a great deal. Someday I hope to become worthy of his gift.

John