PDA

View Full Version : What do you like best about where you live.

noonereal
01-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I was think about where I would move to when I am ready to semi retire and it dawned on me that the area would have to offer the amenities I have where I presently live.

So I was wondering, what is it you like best about where you are now?

For me it is the "local flavor".
Their are several wineries nearby (one little more than a walk away) that offers live music from local artists every weekend. We have a nationally know dairy when kids from all over intern. Great cheeses and breads.
Right at the end of my street is a nationally know sausage makers who only carries the best meats available and who makes all his own sandwich meats in addition to the sausages.
Add to that all the orchards and the fresh produce from what is said to be the richest soil in the US.
Lot's of bed and breakfast places in the area, some of whom have little specialty stores with things like home made chocolate. We have a great performing arts center up the road as well.
Most important I can keep an eye on mom whose back door opens onto my front lawn.

What I don't have, city convenience and all the great specialty foods most Northeast cities offer.

So what makes your little slice of heaven, heaven?

merrylander
01-18-2010, 11:20 AM
The countryside here is much like the area of Quebec where I grew up. We are sitting on 4.5 acres so neighbours are distant enough that I don't hear them and they don't here me. Typical of a car oriented country the only place within walking distance is our mailbox.

Do I like it? Yes, after all the work we put into the place I really do not want to sell out and move to a less expensive area, but Congress could convince me otherwise.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Noone, your post could almost have been mine.

I live in "wine country" too. The area is still pretty rural with a lot of open space and even some more or less wild lands still to enjoy. Like your area, we have a lot of the same gourmet foods produced locally and the wineries are great patrons of the arts.

The little town of Healdsburg has a world class (but not world reknowned) jazz festival every year that lasts a couple of weeks. The impetus behind it is several winery families in the area. Other wineries hold concerts throughout the year.

We have Marin County to act as a buffer between us and San Francisco. That protects us from urban sprawl but we're still close enough to get there for the symphony or museums, etc. Best of both worlds.

This is some of the prettiest country on the planet. There are hills and mountains, some bare save for a scattering of black or live oak, some cloaked in coastal redwoods. The ocean is never farther than an hour away.

The weather is pretty fantastic. Never gets really hot and never really cold. From April to October we get no rain at all, just six solid months of perfect days. For the second six months we get enough rain for things to grow.

John

Fast_Eddie
01-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Believe it or not, the weather is a good point here. I live in Denver, CO- not the "weather destination" of your dreams. But the sun shines here all the time. Much better than the gray mid-west winters I grew up with.

Second, the cost of living. Again, not the lowest in the world, but that's because a lot of people want to live here. But I moved here from Northern California and after that it seems pretty good.

Lots of stuff to do here. The mountains are great.

Healthy lifestyle. I joke that if you don't record enough miles in your running log they kick you out of my neighborhood. Not the worst thing to have around. It motivates you to go do what you need to do when there's a non stop string of runners going by your front yard. Shoot, I have three miles to do today. We have decent food in the stores too. Whole Foods is everywhere, but some more affordable alternatives too. Even the Safeway has to carry decent stuff to be competitive. It's a bit of a health nut haven even more so than Nor-Cal.

Economy has held up very well through this last mess. Not that it got Gov. Ritter anywhere. Oh well.

And here in Denver, it's a pretty liberal place, but not over the top like Berkeley was. I understand Boulder is kind of like Berkeley and a nice place from what I hear, but I like Denver. Reasonable liberals who haven't lost touch with the blue collar roots our party once had. Ken Salazar is a great example of a real, smart, main stream Colorado Democrat.

Like the San Francisco area, you're constantly running into beauty. It's everywhere. You can't leave your house without seeing something amazing. Just the mountains are breathtaking. But there is so much more. The streams and rivers, meadows, parks in the city- they plant huge flower gardens every spring in the big parks. It's pretty amazing.

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 11:57 AM
This where my job is.

It's very close to the Atlantic Ocean.

I have a Sister who lives here, and I promised my parents, years ago, that I would stay here and "Keep an eye on her.". Seems kind of silly, but..............

As I've lived in the same house for twenty years, the payments are much lower than they would be if I moved and bought a new place.

I also actually like the diversity. I don't know why, really. But when I go to Ohio and visit relatives in Newton Falls, which is about as un-diverse as it gets, it just feels kind of creepy----everyone is the same. Boring as Hell.

There's LOTS to do here. Concerts, car shows, air shows, thrift stores and flea markets brimming with bin after bin of vinyl, festivals of all sorts and we still actually have some "Brick and Mortar" Audio shops believe it or not.

So, I thnk I'll stay.

Or, I could go back to Newton Falls, apply for foodstamps, rent a trailer, subsidize my welfare check by selling dope, and sit in the "Chit Chat Lounge" slowly drinking myself to death. At least it's 98.9% white and wouldn't have to look at a bunch of..................uh, naw think I'll stay here.

Dave

Boreas
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
The countryside here is much like the area of Quebec where I grew up. We are sitting on 4.5 acres so neighbours are distant enough that I don't hear them and they don't here me. Typical of a car oriented country the only place within walking distance is our mailbox.

Do I like it? Yes, after all the work we put into the place I really do not want to sell out and move to a less expensive area, but Congress could convince me otherwise.

Very nice, Rob! Howard County has some beautiful spots. My cousin Dave lives quite near to you I think.

John

Grumpy
01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I am very fortunate to be surround by some pretty good friends. Unfortunately were all in Michigan. Not much else "good" I can say about it.

merrylander
01-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Very nice, Rob! Howard County has some beautiful spots. My cousin Dave lives quite near to you I think.

John

We are just off RR97 (Georgia Ave) three miles north of Sunshine.:D

Where I live the only thing protecting Democrats are the game laws, flaming hotbed of Republicans. Florence was a widow when we met, her late husband had convinced everyone he got her to switch parties and become a Republican (She has voted Democrat all her life and was registered as one, still is). Stupid RNC has her on their mailing list and three letters have not changed that, always knew Republicans can't read.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I am very fortunate to be surround by some pretty good friends. Unfortunately were all in Michigan. Not much else "good" I can say about it.

Yeah, Detroit is my birth city. I was born there at the height of its industrial and social power, right at the end of WWII. It makes me so sad to think of it now.

John

Grumpy
01-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Sorry to say but now its one of the worse cesspools I have ever had the displeasure of being in.

I avoid it like the plague !

rickr15
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Weathers not the reason to move here. Hot for 9 months of the year. In town you get a lot of humidity from the artificially induced landscape.

If you like Cactii its not bad though.

Northern AZ is quite nice in the White Mountains area and reminds me a lot of the area of Colorado where I grew up.

As to the OP's question what do I like best. I've made a pretty good living here and the golf isn't half bad.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 01:29 PM
We are just off RR97 (Georgia Ave) three miles north of Sunshine.:D

Where I live the only thing protecting Democrats are the game laws, flaming hotbed of Republicans.

Yup! All of HoCo was like that until Jim Rouse got ahold of it. ;)

Florence was a widow when we met, her late husband had convinced everyone he got her to switch parties and become a Republican (She has voted Democrat all her life and was registered as one, still is). Stupid RNC has her on their mailing list and three letters have not changed that, always knew Republicans can't read.

That's the way they roll, baby!

John

HatchetJack
01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
I live in West Georgia, same house since 1990, same area since the mid sixties
Not really any breathtaking scenery around here but if you hike into the
wilderness, one can find beauty. Added on in 2001 and did much of the work
myself. I went from an 880 sq foot cabin to a 2010 sq foot monster with a
huge two car garage, attic space, dedicated listening room, huge kitchen,
sunroom, large master suite with two walk in closets with his and her baths,
sunroom, large back deck on 5.6 acres. It would be hard to walk away.
The weather, well it's very unpredictable. Some winters like this one are cold
and miserable and others are mild. The summers are always hot and steamy.
It may rain for 6 months and not rain for 2 years, you just never know.
It's 6 miles into town and the nearest store. No fancy eating places unless
you like bbq. Hotlanta is less than an hours drive and one can find about
anything there. I usually harvest 2-3 deer a year and the processor is 5
minutes from the hunting land. If I want fish, I have a small pond in the back
I built a few years ago. I have 6 hens and 2 roosters that free range during
the day. Been getting about 4 brown organic eggs a day. There are no
wineries around but I just started making my own beer. If I want some good
sausage I can make it myself. I raise tomatoes and other vegetables and we
put up gallons of tomatoes and about 30 quarts of pickles and peppers last
summer. A lot of folks around here are somewhat self sufficient and it's hard
to find anyone that claims to be a democrat, maybe there is something to
that? 30 years ago it was the other way around.

Fast_Eddie
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry to say but now its one of the worse cesspools I have ever had the displeasure of being in.

I avoid it like the plague !

It's been a really tough run for a while up there. Depressing to see some of the pictures of what parts of Detroit have turned into. I'm afraid it's going to be a long time before things get any better.

noonereal
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM

!

I know I am different than most but I have always liked tough industrial smoke stack areas.
The old mills and grit around them have always suited me just fine.
A few blocks from the palatially restored row houses of the urban areas has always made me feel at home.

I lived in a couple cities where I went to the "borderline" (at best) area to live.
Restored the property and had had all the amenities of a gentrified area well within walking distance.

Can't afford to live in some of the places I used to live inspire of making a much better living.

noonereal
01-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Yup! All of HoCo was like that until Jim Rouse got ahold of it. ;)

I had always though highly of the Rouse Company projects of the 80's.

merrylander
01-18-2010, 02:35 PM

It does not show in the picture but behind the house is the kitchen garden where we grow tomatoes, bell peppers, zuchinni and cukes.There are two freezers in the basement full of tomato sauce, cut up peppers. Cukes and zuchinni don't freeze all that well so we end up giving away the surplus. Farm territory but you can't keep farm animals in this small section. That was how we got the land, she thought she was going to be able to keep horses. Still working on snap beans from two years back, guess I will have to put some in this year. Got bunches of jalopenas in there too since the Tabasco Kid likes her food hot.

We sort of have a tie to Georgia as the calcite (rock) in our acid neutralizer comes from Georgia.

noonereal
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM

Sounds like a nice life.
Reminders me of visiting my grandparents during the summer.

finnbow
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I live about 20 minutes from Rob, but in Montgomery County, not Howard County. We jokingly refer to Damascus as the West Virginia of Montgomery County. One of the nicest aspects of living here is the rural lifestyle, combined with easy access (on weekends, anyway) to DC, Baltimore and Frederick as well as 3 airports. I have enough land and woods around me that I bowhunt right behind my house and grow lots of good veggies. As much as many here dislike some (or all) aspects of DC, it has a lot going on (much of which is free) and is culturally diverse - lots of good ethnic restaurants of all types. Luckily, I don't have to suffer through DC traffic much as I work 10 minutes away from where I live without the need to drive on the Interstate.

Another good thing is that there's a really good audio tech down the road a bit who's pretty handy with a soldering iron.:D

Boreas
01-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Another good thing is that there's a really good audio tech down the road a bit who's pretty handy with a soldering iron.:D

Gee, who might that be?? :confused:;)

John

Boreas
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
I know I am different than most but I have always liked tough industrial smoke stack areas.
The old mills and grit around them have always suited me just fine.
A few blocks from the palatially restored row houses of the urban areas has always made me feel at home.

There was a time when you might have liked Detroit a great deal but that time is no more.

John

noonereal
01-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Noone, your post could almost have been mine.

I live in "wine country" too. The area is still pretty rural with a lot of open space and even some more or less wild lands still to enjoy. Like your area, we have a lot of the same gourmet foods produced locally and the wineries are great patrons of the arts.

The little town of Healdsburg has a world class (but not world reknowned) jazz festival every year that lasts a couple of weeks. The impetus behind it is several winery families in the area. Other wineries hold concerts throughout the year.

We have Marin County to act as a buffer between us and San Francisco. That protects us from urban sprawl but we're still close enough to get there for the symphony or museums, etc. Best of both worlds.

This is some of the prettiest country on the planet. There are hills and mountains, some bare save for a scattering of black or live oak, some cloaked in coastal redwoods. The ocean is never farther than an hour away.

The weather is pretty fantastic. Never gets really hot and never really cold. From April to October we get no rain at all, just six solid months of perfect days. For the second six months we get enough rain for things to grow.

John

I am less than an hour from Bethel Woods (site of the Woodstock concert) and the town of Woodstock (artists community) where Levon Helm plays in his home/auditorium most weeks.

Still, for retirement I might just find me a small city to settle in.
I kinda like Albany very affordable in the city proper and all the conveyances of both the suburbs and city.

HatchetJack
01-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Super nice spread Merrylander. I see lots of potential garden spots. Is that a
greenhouse out back or solar panels on a shed? I would love to have my place
manicured like that but two kids keep me inside when I'm not at work.

Grumpy
01-18-2010, 03:14 PM
There was a time when you might have liked Detroit a great deal but that time is no more.

John

Being born and raised in the heart of a big city, I love city life, other then the people :)

Boreas
01-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Being born and raised in the heart of a big city, I love city life, other then the people :)

I always end up either in a downtown area or the sticks. I love things about both but the 'burbs don't do a thing for me.

John

noonereal
01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
I always end up either in a downtown area or the sticks. I love things about both but the 'burbs don't do a thing for me.

John

Same here.

I never liked the burbs. I just don't get their allure.

Writewing
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
I live in Ohio on 2 acres out in the country where its peace and quiet, great neighbors and no crime or drama. It can be a little slow from time to time but its very relaxing and I am one hour away from Pitts and Cleve so fun is not far away. I grew up in Cleve burbs and dont think I could go back full time but love to vist, go to concerts and events.
I made it to see Cleve Orchestra a few times this year, a couple Operas and some Jazz also. My next big event is Govt Mule Feb 2 at House of Blues and I am friends with Devon Allman (Gregs son and leader of band HoneyTribe) and looks like I am gonna get to meet Warren and the gang from Mule. Thats gonna be a great show!
Lake Erie is great for fishing and boating, other than winter its a great area to be in.

HatchetJack
01-18-2010, 03:32 PM
A few pics from back in the spring, this is how the poor folks live.
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/DSC02347.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/DSC02349.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/Garden%20Pics/DSC02265.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss125/Brotherwig/Garden%20Pics/DSC02266.jpg

Boreas
01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
I had always though highly of the Rouse Company projects of the 80's.

Jim Rouse was a visionary. He did some really good and ambitious stuff. In you're neck of the woods he did South Street Seaport and he also did Fanueil Hall in Boston and Harbor Place in Baltimore. All really good projects.

Before any of that, around 1970 I think, he undertook the building of an entire city from the ground up. It's Columbia, located in Rob's Howard County, Maryland.

Rouse bought up something like 15 - 20% of the whole county, using straw buyers picking up a parcel here and a parcel there so as not to drive the price up. Then he set about building his city, complete with housing at all levels of affordability, businesses of all kinds and even an industrial base. (GE's appliance division and Head Ski & Sportswear are examples.)

It worked and it didn't. Columbia, last I heard, was a good place to live but funny stuff happens when you add people into the mix. Rouse's idea of having a city where people both lived and worked fell victim to reality. People living in Columbia tended to work in DC or Baltimore and the factories and businesses tended to draw their workers from outside.

John

merrylander
01-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Super nice spread Merrylander. I see lots of potential garden spots. Is that a
greenhouse out back or solar panels on a shed? I would love to have my place
manicured like that but two kids keep me inside when I'm not at work.

We keep the garden close to the house because of the white tailed lawn rats, an 18HP tractor with a 60" deck keeps the grass under control and yes that is a greenhouse, sort of styled like a New England salt box. We also have a Dutch barn down behind that grove of trees behind the house. There is something in the grove that looks like Ayers Rock in Australia so they never farmed that bit. Biggest darned rock I have ever seen. Got the barn from the Amish and keep garden tools and other stuff in it along with the golf cart. That sounds funny but with a drop of 50 feet front to back hiking around here can get to you.

Jack those pics look great!

Boreas
01-18-2010, 03:35 PM

Looks great, Jack!

John

merrylander
01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
We lived in Columbia when I first came down, the street names there will make you chuckle.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
We lived in Columbia when I first came down, the street names there will make you chuckle.

Yeah, Rouse hired "The Name Lady" to name all those streets. One person was responsible for all that.

One of my faves is Pale Orchis Court. Orchis can mean either "orchid" or "testicle". ;)

Columbia was the first place I moved to after I got out of the Army. It was still quite young at the time and it was interesting to watch it grow.

John

d-ray657
01-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Jack, that does look like a peaceful place. It kind of reminds me of a place my brother has in southern Missouri (Which provides the venue for the vast majority of adult beverages I have consumed in the last few years.) But I can be sure that poor folks cant afford all of the lumber that you have incorporated into your porch and landscaping. I'm sure it has a lot of sweat equity in it too. I expect that you would agree that as long as a man has skills like that, he might occasionally be broke, but he is not poor.

Regards,

D-Ray

noonereal
01-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Good stuff, not so different from myself.
How is this for a city kid and his daughter?

The pond shot is the view from my front porch, the field is my side yard.

Boreas
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Good stuff, not so different from myself.
How is this for a city kid and his daughter?

Pretty darned nice, Noone. Around 1830?

John

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Gee, who might that be?? :confused:;)

John

I dunno, but if he lived closer to me, I could certainly keep him busy.
I've got this HK Citation Seventeen.....................................

Dave

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I live in Ohio on 2 acres out in the country where its peace and quiet, great neighbors and no crime or drama. It can be a little slow from time to time but its very relaxing and I am one hour away from Pitts and Cleve so fun is not far away. I grew up in Cleve burbs and dont think I could go back full time but love to vist, go to concerts and events.
I made it to see Cleve Orchestra a few times this year, a couple Operas and some Jazz also. My next big event is Govt Mule Feb 2 at House of Blues and I am friends with Devon Allman (Gregs son and leader of band HoneyTribe) and looks like I am gonna get to meet Warren and the gang from Mule. Thats gonna be a great show!
Lake Erie is great for fishing and boating, other than winter its a great area to be in.

An hour from Cleve and Pitt? Sounds like my old stomping grounds.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Holy Cow, you guys have some nice spreads!
Makes me too embarrassed to post any pics.

Dave

noonereal
01-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Pretty darned nice, Noone. Around 1830?

John

1930 depression era farmhouse

The extension is only a few years old.

HatchetJack
01-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Very nice noon !!!

Boreas
01-18-2010, 04:59 PM
1930 depression era farmhouse

The extension is only a few years old.

Oh, I was thinking it was older. I did think the extension was new.

John

noonereal
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Very nice noon !!!

not so differant than you Jack. ;)

Us liberals recognize what a good life is too

Writewing
01-18-2010, 05:30 PM
An hour from Cleve and Pitt? Sounds like my old stomping grounds.

Dave

Salem Ohio.....familiar to you?

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Salem Ohio.....familiar to you?

Yep. Newton Falls............familiar to you?

Dave

Writewing
01-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Yep. Newton Falls............familiar to you?

Dave

Yes Sir it is, actually I am in Goshen Twnsp but both are really nice areas!

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Nice to look at, but I wouldn't live there.

Not much to do, unless you're the outdoorsy type. And I'm not. Nothin' against it, it just aint my bag. My brother thinks it's heaven 'cuz there's plenty of fishin' and such, and the lack of brown people appeals to him (But I don't care about that.) And he's set up with his GM pension (For now.) so he doesn't have anything to worry about (Or so he thinks.). But, when I'm there, I see the poverty and the abandoned homes on either side of his, and I think, "Naw, think I'll head back to the Swamp when I'm done visiting."

But, you're right. It is a quiet little town, the people are pleasant, for the most part and I do miss it sometimes. A lot of happy childhood memories are there.

Dave

Writewing
01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Nice to look at, but I wouldn't live there.

Not much to do, unless you're the outdoorsy type. And I'm not. Nothin' against it, it just aint my bag. My brother thinks it's heaven 'cuz there's plenty of fishin' and such, and the lack of brown people appeals to him (But I don't care about that.) And he's set up with his GM pension (For now.) so he doesn't have anything to worry about (Or so he thinks.). But, when I'm there, I see the poverty and the abandoned homes on either side of his, and I think, "Naw, think I'll head back to the Swamp when I'm done visiting."

But, you're right. It is a quiet little town, the people are pleasant, for the most part and I do miss it sometimes. A lot of happy childhood memories are there.

Dave

I dont do the outdoor thing either and as far as "Brown people" I would prefer them to some of the Rednecks that are really prevalent 25 or so miles south as you draw closer to W Virginia. But yes the people are in general very pleasant and its a calm place to live if not a bit boring at times. Salem area is middle class for most part, south it gets more poverty stricken and north as you go about 12 miles or so is where this areas money is (Canfield Polland) then as you go more north to Youngstown it once again goes downhill.
When I lived in Cleveland I couldnt imagine a slower small town life but as I grow older and the peace of mind matters more I can now safely say I cant imagine going back. Cheers

noonereal
01-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Brown people?

noonereal
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Brown people?

god bless

hillbilly
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Brown people?

god bless

God bless who?

BlueStreak
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Brown people?

god bless

I chose that phrase because the word my brother uses, ad nauseum, is far more offensive.

I can go back and change it to "African/American" if you like. But that wouldn't quite cut it, because my brother doesn't like anyone who isn't white.
Unless it's an attractive female of course. That's different. His opinion, not mine. Whatever.

Dave

noonereal
01-18-2010, 09:06 PM
believe it or not, I had to look it up.

I had never heard folks referred to as such

live and learn

Writewing
01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
I chose that phrase because the word my brother uses, ad nauseum, is far more offensive.

I can go back and change it to "African/American" if you like. But that wouldn't quite cut it, because my brother doesn't like anyone who isn't white.
Unless it's an attractive female of course. That's different. His opinion, not mine. Whatever.

Dave

I put it in quotes cause they were your words but I saw you noted it was not your word but somebody else's term. I didnt bother me, just was related to my reply but I will say part of me used the quotes to show how stupid I thought that term was.
Something tells me the poster who wrote "God Bless" was taking issue with me but what else is new?

noonereal
01-19-2010, 07:31 AM
I put it in quotes cause they were your words but I saw you noted it was not your word but somebody else's term. I didnt bother me, just was related to my reply but I will say part of me used the quotes to show how stupid I thought that term was.
Something tells me the poster who wrote "God Bless" was taking issue with me but what else is new?

My first post was a serious question as to what was meant by brown people.
My second post was after I looked it up.

Still it's better than the term "half porch" which I learned a few months ago on this board.

merrylander
01-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Rouse hired "The Name Lady" to name all those streets. One person was responsible for all that.

One of my faves is Pale Orchis Court. Orchis can mean either "orchid" or "testicle". ;)

Columbia was the first place I moved to after I got out of the Army. It was still quite young at the time and it was interesting to watch it grow.

John

Florence moved there when it was quite new, when I met her she was living on "Melting Shadows Lane" which was actually a closed court.

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 08:45 AM
It just seems that we here are really lucky and blessed.

I complain about my little house but love my neighbors (which of course makes the neighborhood) and my 'big' yard. Which is smallish but a darn sight better than 30 x 100! (inner ring suburb size). I can no longer smell my neighbors farts :eek:

I'm out far enough to have wild turkeys fox coyotes big woodpeckers hawks etc. And the white tailed rats :)

One of the reasons my neighbors suit me is they all come from the old neighborhoods, 'real' people.

I still love the city, and I used to love driving through the old steel mills (can't anymore :( ). Reminds me of 'fool for the city'.

And winter, I could do without the grey 99% of the time but the beautiful blue mornings are another matter. I don't think I'd be happy in warmer climes.

but Congress could convince me otherwise.

They're sure got me thinking about it!

Pete

merrylander
01-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah, we are blessed but on the other hand I do not imagine any of what we all have was handed to us on a plate. I feel quite certain that we all worked our butts off.

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, we are blessed but on the other hand I do not imagine any of what we all have was handed to us on a plate. I feel quite certain that we all worked our butts off.

That's my take too, to some degree. But who said, 'when I say I have plans, God smiles?'

Pete

merrylander
01-19-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't know but Robbie said "The best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft aglee"

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I still love the city, and I used to love driving through the old steel mills (can't anymore :( ). Reminds me of 'fool for the city'.
Pete

Ah, the "old mills".......Takes me back to the 1970's. When I was in highschool some of the old mills were still operating in Youngstown and Warren. Even after the closings that occured from the late '70s through the '80s, it was still something to drive through and look at them. I don't know why, Pete. What was it for you? The immensity? The memories of better days?

I remember driving down Route 5 towards Newton Falls, and as we passed the vocational school, to our left was the Copperweld Mill, a massive structure with a railyard full of trains and all four stacks belching smoke into the sky. My friend asked me to pull over for a minute and stop. "Okay, so what's all of this about?" I asked. "You see that? That's what built this country, Dave." He was right. It was. And I still think we could have found a better way to deal with the problems our industry had------simply letting it fail has left us with NOTHING.

When I'm in N.F. I still see some of the "old timers" and WW2 era guys that worked the mills, and think of what giants they were to this "young fella". Just like the once mighty mills themselves, the men have grown old and tired. And more of them disappear every day.

May God Bless them.

Dave

merrylander
01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah, isn't it strange that the men and women who built this country get kicked to the curb, or as a former CO governor suggested "You old folks owe it to the country to die off", while the bastards who bled it dry take home all the money. Somehow I had a different picture of the "American Dream."

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I remember when he said that. My Pops response was; "Maybe we should have just let the Commies have them?" Which I thought was quite a bit over the top, because the "the Commies" would have had the rest of us too. But I do understand what he was saying. Basically, "Why should we have done anything for these little pricks that just turned around and pissed on us in the end?"

I can see that.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
.... What was it for you? The immensity? The memories of better days? ...

Mostly the cool factor :) I remember the inhouse railyard looking like the tracks were on fire (must've been intentional), the noise, the heat, the giant glowing ingots, the flaming smokestacks, and when I lived just above one for 3 years the smell & sooty rain :)

In my age the old factories were already past their biggest hayday. When I got out of HS I almost applied at Chrysler, fortunately I saw the writing on the wall.

.... I remember driving down Route 5 towards Newton Falls, and as we passed the vocational school, to our left was the Copperweld Mill, a massive structure with a railyard full of trains and all four stacks belching smoke into the sky. My friend asked me to pull over for a minute and stop. "Okay, so what's all of this about?" I asked. "You see that? That's what built this country, Dave." He was right. It was. And I still think we could have found a better way to deal with the problems our industry had------simply letting it fail has left us with NOTHING.

When I'm in N.F. I still see some of the "old timers" and WW2 era guys that worked the mills, and think of what giants they were to this "young fella". Just like the once mighty mills themselves, the men have grown old and tired. And more of them disappear every day.

May God Bless them.

Dave

Hear hear!

Pete

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah, isn't it strange that the men and women who built this country get kicked to the curb, or as a former CO governor suggested "You old folks owe it to the country to die off", while the bastards who bled it dry take home all the money. Somehow I had a different picture of the "American Dream."

They would have seen worse, far worse had our government done nothing. But they're too caught up in hype, vitriol and sloganism to see it. And let's not forget, the first two attempts at slowing the decline, the "Stimulus checks" and the first "stimulus bill" was signed by who? But, now "Obama" is to blame for EVERYTHING. Interesting, how easily the minds of the masses are controlled, isn't it?

Dave

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd like to know how we're kicking those folks to the curb. Well Obama didn't give SS a raise this year - 'there's no inflation' :rolleyes:

And Obama's tax 'cut' (remember that promise?) severely reduced my rebate.

Gosh, we'll politicize everything here :)

Pete

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 10:40 AM
When I got out of HS I almost applied at Chrysler, fortunately I saw the writing on the wall.

Pete

That's where my Dad worked. AFAIK, Chrysler Twinsburg is still operating.
Maybe you should have applied? Even if it had eventually closed you would have made good money in the meanwhile.

Dave

merrylander
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Well let's see United declares bankruptcy and the judge allows them to disavow their pension plan. How many others have walked away from pensions. Novartis has raised the price of Lotrel 50% in the last five years, many older people need it to conrol blood pressure, are they suggesting that the COLA went up 8% a year?

Sure there there was no increase in SS, funny how everything else went up. Filled your gas tank lately? Bought groceries, fresh (allegedly) fruit or vegetables? Milk?

noonereal
01-19-2010, 10:49 AM
good point Rob.

What are the industries that have deflated prices?

finnbow
01-19-2010, 10:51 AM
What are the industries that have deflated prices?

Consumer electronics, for one.

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Through offshoring----Less jobs.

Dave

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 11:03 AM
That's where my Dad worked. AFAIK, Chrysler Twinsburg is still operating.
Maybe you should have applied? Even if it had eventually closed you would have made good money in the meanwhile.

Dave

That stamping plant is on my secondary route to work. There is a skeleton crew to keep the (now still) machines in order. That giant parking lot (that used to be full) is sadly very empty.

A friend worked there. He took the buyout - he only had 19 years in and they said only 20+ year vets really had a chance to be relocated. The plant wasn't mentioned in Fiats' plans.

He's kinda screwed. All that time, decent money, good living, but the skills acquired don't add up to the same pay in the open market. Lucky for him he did more than cut blanks, he also maintained & repaired the automated part feeding/distributing equipment so he's less screwed than many.

Well let's see United declares bankruptcy and the judge allows them to disavow their pension plan. How many others have walked away from pensions. Novartis has raised the price of Lotrel 50% in the last five years, many older people need it to conrol blood pressure, are they suggesting that the COLA went up 8% a year?

Sure there there was no increase in SS, funny how everything else went up. Filled your gas tank lately? Bought groceries, fresh (allegedly) fruit or vegetables? Milk?

I kinda understand, but how on earth am I going to cover the old fashioned gold-plated retirement for other folks?

I agree about the inflation. If there isn't any, why's gas at $2.65?

Pete

Boreas
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Not at GW & SA! ;)

John

Boreas
01-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Pete

I wish it was $2.65 here. We're at about $3.00 +/- now. $2.89 represents a bargain here.

As to inflation, I think the decline in housing prices was enough to offset increases in most other areas.

John

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Pete

As a FAR right-wing friend of mine told me, when gas was at $4.20 a gallon; "That doesn't count, it's not part of the core inflation."

Me thinks the rise in gas prices is in anticipation of a Republican resurgence.
Once the GOP has regained it's footing gas will hit $4 a gallon again, the oil companies will state that it's due to foreign dependence, and the right-wing pundits will start screaming "Drill, Baby, Drill" again. In 1973, in 2006, and again in.........2010, 2011 or 2012?

After all, that is the game, isn't it?:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 11:47 AM
My response is in parentheses, because I'm an idiot that can't figure out how to make the multi-quote work.

That stamping plant is on my secondary route to work. There is a skeleton crew to keep the (now still) machines in order. That giant parking lot (that used to be full) is sadly very empty.

(They've been there before. My Dad was maintenence. The fact that they have yet to lock the gates and tear it down, says that they haven't given up yet. Could be waiting for a turnaround.)

A friend worked there. He took the buyout - he only had 19 years in and they said only 20+ year vets really had a chance to be relocated. The plant wasn't mentioned in Fiats' plans.

(Smart to take the buyout, then. Unless there was some way he could have hung on for another year.)

He's kinda screwed. All that time, decent money, good living, but the skills acquired don't add up to the same pay in the open market. Lucky for him he did more than cut blanks, he also maintained & repaired the automated part feeding/distributing equipment so he's less screwed than many.

(He won't find the same money anywhere, regardless of what skills he picked up there. Even if he was management. So, are you suggesting that because he won't find the same money after leaving Chrysler that he never should have went there in the first place? I don't get that logic at all, Pete.)

I kinda understand, but how on earth am I going to cover the old fashioned gold-plated retirement for other folks?

(So, it YOU that pays their retirement? Holy shit, I'd think a man of your means could afford a bigger house? Just kidding. I know what your saying.)

(Why was gas at $4.20 a gallon four years ago? See my previous post.)

Pete

Regards,
Dave

piece-itpete
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
I just copy and paste the thingies :)

It looks bad for the Twinsburg plant (but you're right, it's not torn down). I'm glad I didn't try for the jobs (at GM Parma and Ford Walton Hills too) because there have been a lot of layoffs over the past 20 years and I do have some skills from all the crappy jobs I've had :o

Present job excluded for sure :)

The price of gas? Are you guys kidding?

It's even cheaper down south from my understanding.

Pete

Boreas
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
My response is in parentheses, because I'm an idiot that can't figure out how to make the multi-quote work.

Regards,
Dave

You gotta play with the HTML tags. Each block quote needs to start with [QUOTE ] and end with [/QUOTE ]. (But take the space out between the E and the ]. I couldn't type it properly because it gets read as code instead of text.)

John

merrylander
01-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Pete

But Pete you are not supposed to cover those pensions, the companies agreed to fund the plans, except that somehow many were allowed to put insufficient money into the funds and then the Pension Guarantee Fund got stuck with some, at about 35 cents on the dollar.

Frex, in my years at Bell there were places paying bigger salaries, I was only getting $50,000/year in '83, but the company funded its pension plan according to the rules. The plan is solvent and it pays COLA at close to what the rate of increase is. That is what honest people do, not welch out on their promises.

Wish it still was $2.65 here.:o

BlueStreak
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
I just copy and paste the thingies :)

It looks bad for the Twinsburg plant (but you're right, it's not torn down). I'm glad I didn't try for the jobs (at GM Parma and Ford Walton Hills too) because there have been a lot of layoffs over the past 20 years and I do have some skills from all the crappy jobs I've had :o

Present job excluded for sure :)

The price of gas? Are you guys kidding?

It's even cheaper down south from my understanding.

Pete

Ford shut down the F-150 plant here two years ago and moved it to Michigan.
They still own the building, but it's a hollow shell, all of the equipment and people are gone and management has annonced it will never be reopened. (It's for sale, if you're interested.) My neighbor worked maintenance there, and left to follow his job to Michigan. Ironically, he came here from Michigan looking for work, found work at the Ford plant 20+ years ago, and is now back in Michigan working for Ford. About the only person I know that was actually HAPPY about the Norfolk plant closing. Funny how life works sometimes?

No, I'm not kidding about the price of gas---------watch what happens.
And, NO, it's not cheap here either. Well maybe a few cents "less expensive", but not cheap.

Dave

Boreas
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
I remember driving down Route 5 towards Newton Falls, and as we passed the vocational school, to our left was the Copperweld Mill, a massive structure with a railyard full of trains and all four stacks belching smoke into the sky. My friend asked me to pull over for a minute and stop. "Okay, so what's all of this about?" I asked. "You see that? That's what built this country, Dave." He was right. It was. And I still think we could have found a better way to deal with the problems our industry had------simply letting it fail has left us with NOTHING.

Dave, I used to go to that part of Ohio (Nelson Ledges) a couple of times a year in the '70s. (We used to stay in Warren since that's where the motels are.) I guess since I was getting semi-annual "snapshots" of the area over a period of time it was easy to see the decline. Each time I went things looked a little seedier and people looked a little less secure.

John

hillbilly
01-19-2010, 03:29 PM
OK. When gas shot up to 4+ a gallon, we were told it was supply and demand.

To answer why gas is going up again? Simple. At least this is what our NBC News said not long ago. They, NBC channel 4 ( NOT FOX NEWS ) said big oil claims less people have been buying gas for their cars and sales are hurting so prices are going up. Am I the only one who listens to the nightly TV News? Or does everyone elses location chicken out and hide the truth that we are gettin' screwed? :confused:

noonereal
01-19-2010, 03:44 PM

To answer why gas is going up again? Simple. At least this is what our NBC News said not long ago. They, NBC channel 4 ( NOT FOX NEWS ) said big oil claims less people have been buying gas for their cars and sales are hurting so prices are going up. Am I the only one who listens to the nightly TV News? Or does everyone elses location chicken out and hide the truth that we are gettin' screwed? :confused:

there was an oil glut when prices were 4+ dollars.

the price has nothing to do with supply

merrylander
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM

And that Dave is a crock, during winter gasoline is a by product of home heating oil so they get it whether they want it or not. Yes we are getting screwed, both by big oil and the speculators who are driving up the per barrel price.:rolleyes:

How is the hay supply?

hillbilly
01-19-2010, 11:13 PM
And that Dave is a crock, during winter gasoline is a by product of home heating oil so they get it whether they want it or not. Yes we are getting screwed, both by big oil and the speculators who are driving up the per barrel price.:rolleyes:

How is the hay supply?

Hay is good. I expect some farmers'll most likely set fire to whats left over come spring, in order to make room for this years hay. Back during the bad drought when there wasn't much hay to cut, it had to be shipped in from out west and they charged 80-90 per bale. We had never paid more than 25 bucks per large 6x6 round bale before the drought.

Lots of folks sold off much of their live stock during the two years of no rain. So, now that we've had much,much rain and grass has grown to high heaven with less people feeding .. farmers have more hay than they have buyers for. Now, this winter, those large rolls are only 10.00 to 20.00 each depending on who you buy from. Hay is cheaper now than it was before the drought hit. At least it is in my location. I'll never complain about another rainy day. Thank goodness for rain, I'd rather have a piss elm flood than a grass killing drought anyday.

BlueStreak
01-20-2010, 12:02 AM
there was an oil glut when prices were 4+ dollars.

the price has nothing to do with supply

How, many times do we have to watch it happen, over and over again, before we finally realize that oil repeatedly defies normal market forces?
And how many effin' times do we have to listen to Republican snake oil salesmen yell "Drill, Baby, Drill" everytime the industry pulls another faux "crisis" before we pull our heads out of our asses and see it for what it is?

And before anyone gets started; NO, I don't give two steaming shits about moose habitat. It's a matter of strategic planning. If you use up the other guys reserves while sitting on your own, and continuing to research alternative energy sources, eventually future generations will gain a HUGE advantage.

But unfortunately we live in a society full of people so short sighted they can't see past the tips of their tiny peckers. All they know is; "There's oil under them thar moose! Drill, Baby, Drill! Let's pig it up an' make some quick bucks! YeeHaw!"

What amazes me is the same people will come at us with; "What kind of future are we making for our children?" As if they actually give a damn.

Jesus Christ, this get's so frustrating.

I think I'm gonna take some time away from this forum. It's starting to get my anger going.

See ya in a few days.

Dave

BlueStreak
01-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Dave, I used to go to that part of Ohio (Nelson Ledges) a couple of times a year in the '70s. (We used to stay in Warren since that's where the motels are.) I guess since I was getting semi-annual "snapshots" of the area over a period of time it was easy to see the decline. Each time I went things looked a little seedier and people looked a little less secure.

John

You should see it now. Sickening.

And before any "righties" chime in---What the hell has your useless party ever done about any of it? Anything? Other than point fingers and assign blame that is?

I'll be back in a few days, I need some "time off".

Dave

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 07:33 AM
... Hay is cheaper now than it was before the drought hit. At least it is in my location. I'll never complain about another rainy day. Thank goodness for rain, I'd rather have a piss elm flood than a grass killing drought anyday.

Glad to hear it bud!

Nelson Ledges, man, that was party central. The biggest wildest parties I've ever been to.

Pete

merrylander
01-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Hmm, My first wife ws born in Warren, 'nuff said.

noonereal
01-20-2010, 08:12 AM
What amazes me is the same people will come at us with; "What kind of future are we making for our children?" As if they actually give a damn.

i agree
this is the most disingenuous of all the war cries on the right

Dude111
10-20-2022, 01:52 PM
What I like best of where I live is not too many people here..........

What I like least is not very many friendly people either :(