PDA

View Full Version : A question for Republicans

d-ray657
01-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll start out by acknowledging that I am a Democrat (as if that surprises anyone here) I disagree with too much of what is going on in congress, on both sides of the aisle, and I will attribute much of that to what Rob accurately calls legalized bribery. Much of it is also that people willing to get into politics at that level are likely well entrenched in the horse trading that much of politics is. That being said, I prefer the Democrats. They may be bastards, but they're my bastards.

My question for the Republicans out there is whether you are satisfied with the people who appear to be the face of the GOP: I'm talking about people like Rush Limbaugh, the Fox News crew, Sarah Palin (who fits in with the Fox News crew now, I guess) and the newly elected senator from Massachusetts, who is noW being touted as a symbol of America's rejection of the Democratic policies. Do these people speak for you, as a Republican? Why or why not?

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Whoa! Nothing like putting it out there to be pilloried by both parties :)

But OK. The short answer is no. I know one guy who listens to Rush and agrees, and know one lady (Dem) who listens to him for entertainment (he can be funny).

Palin, I'm disappointed quite frankly. After the superstar launch at the convention it became clear to me that she was a little out of her element. Even still I thought she might learn 'on the job' but after stepping down from the Governorship I figured she was going the pundit route.

Fox I don't mind. It appears to me that for the most part the networks softball Obama and it used to be well known most reporters were in fact Democrats, so a lttle far to the right was ok.

Brown, who knows, he's not MY Senator :) It appears I generally agree with him.

Now, how about Sheenan, Kucinich, and those nuts on the west coast? ;)

Pete

merrylander
01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Guess the TV in your area is different, I don't see Obama getting a free ride of any sort. Not being a Republican I can't answer any of the rest. As to all reporters being Democrats that's another popular myth, used to deflect honest criticism.

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
This is interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113455/

Pete

doucanoe
01-20-2010, 01:21 PM
From the June 7 edition of MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews:

MATTHEWS: How did you manage to get Francine Busby the Democratic nomination in that seat?

MEHLMAN: We didn't -- we wouldn't have anything to do with that, but look --

MATTHEWS: What did you make -- we just showed the tape, David Shuster just showed that tape of a woman candidate in the United States openly advising people in this country illegally to vote illegally.

MEHLMAN: It sounds like she may have been an adviser to that Washington state candidate for governor or some other places around the country where this has happened in other cases with Democrats.

But the fact is, one thing we know, the American people believe that legal voters should vote and they believe that their right to vote ought to be protected from people that don't have the right to vote.

[...]

MATTHEWS: This woman, this candidate of the Democratic Party came out and told Hispanic voters go ahead and vote, you don't need papers. She was encouraging illegal voting right on -- we heard it on the mike.

CHARLIE COOK [editor of the newsletter The Cook Political Report]: Either it encouraged it or it sounded awfully close to it, but it was a stupid thing to say. And to be honest, she was running basically even, even slightly ahead in the polls going into that statement. Frankly, I think it blew the race wide open.

MATTHEWS: Hey, you're being kind. She said you don't need papers. What else could she have meant?

COOK: Oh, no, no, no, no, I'm just, you know.

MATTHEWS: She was urging people to break the law. They are breaking law getting in the country. Now she says break the law again by voting, and she's carrying the banner of the Democratic Party.

COOK: It was a stupid thing to say.

MATTHEWS: She's running again in November.

COOK: Here's the danger for Democrats. This is the best political mood for them since Watergate. And yet, they don't have that many really good candidates around the country. They've got a lot of people that are fairly inexperienced candidates, like Francine Busby, who are capable of screwing up even when they've got a golden opportunity to win. And you just saw it.

MATTHEWS: Hey, look. If I were writing the Republican platform right now, I'd take that quote from her on tape and use it in all those races out there and say, "The Democratic Party believes in voting illegal immigrants to get more votes."

To paraphrase a member here with my own embelishment, "If I hear another individual talking about how Bush won the 2000 election by vote tampering I'm going to put a gun to my head"

RC

noonereal
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Now, how about Sheenan, Kucinich, and those nuts

Kucinich is a nut?

Sheenan is just a lost sole. It is understandable. Her followers should be in your party.

noonereal
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Guess the TV in your area is different, I don't see Obama getting a free ride of any sort. Not being a Republican I can't answer any of the rest. As to all reporters being Democrats that's another popular myth, used to deflect honest criticism.

You missed it Rob.

Fox said he was getting a free ride.

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Kucinich is a nut?

As my rep for many years I am eminently qualified to say:

100% yes.

Pete

noonereal
01-20-2010, 01:29 PM
To paraphrase a member here with my own embelishment, "If I hear another individual talking about how Bush won the 2000 election by vote tampering I'm going to put a gun to my head"

RC

well leave the gun alone but anyone who thinks he did not, well just wants to believe that.

noonereal
01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
As my rep for many years I am eminently qualified to say:

100% yes.

Pete

well i am sure you know.

Still I think allot of his ideas are good.

Just having a good idea or agenda is simply not enough however.

d-ray657
01-20-2010, 01:34 PM
That transcript can't be accurate. Someone from that left-wing tool MSNBC was actually blasting a Democratic candidate for office? Say it ain't so.

Back OT, I know that the Democratic party has screwed up in many ways. I also know that it is a somewhat diverse party. The point of my question is that those who are most visible as speaking for the GOP seem to have a particularly anti-government, anti-tax, somewhat vicious line. Do mainstream Republicans think that those people are speaking for them?

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM

RC

So you're equating the public statement (which were publicly discussed and roundly condemned) of one stupid and unsuccessful Democratic candidate for public office with a secret and systematic campaign of voter disenfranchisement, voter suppression, vote flipping, judicial malfeasance and harrassment of public officials?

Give me a break.

John

Boreas
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM

Pete

I'll see your Kucinich and Sheenen and raise you a Schmidt and a Boehner. ;)

John

doucanoe
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I guess my point is...

* Bush, Florida 2000
* Franken in MN
* This gal
* Phyllis Kahn calling for 16 yr old's to vote.
* All seemingly rejecting required voter ID or calling for it but not getting it done.
* ACORN

Tip of the iceberg and the list goes on and on. Yes, we have problems.

To answer the OP's question. I'm much more in tune with the Republican message than what the Dem's have to offer. Keep in mind that I firmly believe the democrat party of today hardly resembles that of my Father's Democrat party.

Appearances can be deceiving.

Fast_Eddie
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM

Sure, I'll say this- I think Kucinich is brilliant and at some point in my life I've voted for some of the 'nuts on the west coast'. Here's the deal- we need a Pelosi. She is bulletproof. No republican will EVER win her seat. The Mass. mess not withstanding, you have to live in Nor. Cal. understand what I mean. Hell, I was the most conservative guy in Berkeley. They think of her as main streem.

So she can sling the shit with the ass holes on the right. We havent had a voice of her caliber for the left since Tip O'Neil. Damn I liked old Tip. She doen'st have to worry about being elected so she has no need to back down. And say what you will about Reid, she has gone into that hell hole and gotten shit done.

Okay, back to Kucinich- he's brilliant (and his wife is hot). If you haven't, you should read his "Prayer for America".

http://www.commondreams.org/views02/0226-09.htm

His role is to define the left- and he does it well. Not as a radical, but as a thoughtful guy with very, very progressive ideas. What he would do if made King is probably not what most Democrats would agree to. But he shows what the outside looks like and helps define an Obama as a centrist.

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
well i am sure you know.

Still I think allot of his ideas are good.

Just having a good idea or agenda is simply not enough however.

He went a bit nuts hanging around Shirley McClain I'm afraid :)

He does seem like a nice guy and really comes from 'the people'.

Don't encourage them!! :D :D :D

I guess my point is...

* Bush, Florida 2000
* Franken in MN
* This gal
* All seemingly rejecting required voter ID or calling for it but not getting it done.
* ACORN

To answer the OP's question. I'm much more in tune with the Republican message than what the Dem's have to offer. Keep in mind that I firmly believe the democrat party of today hardly resembles that of my Father's Democrat party.

Appearances can be deceiving.

Only the GOP has nuts!

Pete

Boreas
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Okay, back to Kucinich- he's brilliant (and his wife is hot).

But she's one of them furriners and she has a tongue stud!

John

HatchetJack
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Rush is just a shock jock. I dont think many republicans even listen to his
rants. Occasionally I will tune in on the drive home from work but only
because a sports network follows his show. He has several personality
voices he uses to argue with himself. A whiney one for the libs and a strong
one for the cons and several others he uses. Not so sure any are his and
I would bet money more democrats listen than otherwise.

RUSH
"the republicans are morons out to cut my social security and they are
the root of all evil and everything thats wrong with this country"
RUSH
"THE DEMOCRATS ARE OUT TO DESTROY THE FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE
IN THIS COUNTRY"

There, now you dont have to listen in today:D

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Edited, too rough.

How about this:

doucanoe
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Edited, too rough.

Ya gotta love it, Pete! God Bless America! :D

RC

finnbow
01-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Rush is just a shock jock. I dont think many republicans even listen to his
rants.

About15 million (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/06/AR2009030603435.html)per week. In the 2008 election, Obama got ~70 million votes and McCain got ~60 million. So, 15 million isn't exactly chump change. Like it or not (I don't) his voice has a large impact. Why else do GOP politicians go back to Rush begging for forgiveness (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19517.html) if they say something mildly critical (and truthful) about him.

Back on topic. Another way of stating this question (if I may, not being the OP), is why is it that the Republicans seem happy allowing Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, et al. to be their public face/spokesmen? I think it has to do with the fact that the GOP can hide behind their tasteless, untruthful, but effective messages. Why send out Boehner to stir up the faithful (yawn)when Rush and Co. are so effective at doing it? They can benefit from his propoganda while appearing to take "the high road."

Boreas
01-20-2010, 02:42 PM
* Bush, Florida 2000

No objective observer can dispute that the State of Florida broke the law in the 2000 election. If you doubt this, just look at the coverage in the foreign press. Unlike ours, their media had no reason to sugar coat or conceal the truth.

* Franken in MN

In a race this close there will always be questions. As far as I know, the questions in this race have to do with the decisions of the state regarding the recount. There is no question of an engineered victory for Frankin through purging voter rolls or vote flipping.

* This gal

"This gal" lost. If she's stupid enough to make the statement she is said to have made her loss was well deserved. Her remarks were condemned by both sides.

A state legislator calling for a legal change in eligibility requirements proves what, exactly?

The objections to this have to do with the hardship obtaining a photo ID would have on poor and elderly (read Democratic) voters. I have a voter registration card issued by the PRC (People's Republic of California). I had one when I lived in Maryland, in New Jersey and in Virginia. (Can't remember about Colorado.)

* ACORN

The ACORN scandal is bullshit. The cases of fraudulent registrations involving ACORN canvassers were reported to the FEC by ACORN themselves. These were cases of people who were getting paid by the registrant padding out their pay packets with bogus registrants.

Nobody has been able to successfully prosecute ACORN for anything and very few have tried because the value of ACORN is in the suspicions created in the public mind by right wing operatives. Any pursuit of justice would exhonerate ACORN and thus remove the stigma.

Global climate change has made this into a tiny little iceberg. :)

"IC"! DemocratIC Party! ;) The Democratic Farm Labor Party was allways a little bit of an odd duck. Humphrey and Mondale were a bit of a breed apart.

John

d-ray657
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
RUSH
"the republicans are morons out to cut my social security and they are
the root of all evil and everything thats wrong with this country"
RUSH
"THE DEMOCRATS ARE OUT TO DESTROY THE FREE MARKET ENTERPRISE
IN THIS COUNTRY"

There, now you dont have to listen in today:D

Thank God and Jack for that! (A bad ripoff of a country music title) Of course I have to worry about tuning in to Rush as much as I have to worry about being attacked by Martians.

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Lmao!!

Pete

d-ray657
01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Edited, too rough.

How about this:

From and inconvenient truth to the naked truth.:eek:

Regards,

D-Ray

Writewing
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
In short to the original question YES (enough of the time) and I know the Left thinks the Right are all blind followers who follow like Lemmings heading towards the cliff but its not the case atleast for the many folks I know and respect who lean to the Right. I enjoy FOX News and it is far and away my favorite but I dont like everyone and every show on it.
I watch Cavuto, Special Report, Shep, and Bill O..........and my guilty pleasure Red Eye on FOX.
I watch Morning Joe and Hardball on MSNBC, I also watch Meet the Press and FOX News Sunday on the weekends. Thank God for DVR to be able to compress viewing time.
I did work for John McCain up till the Palin pick and I couldnt in good conscience do it anymore and I still dont support her, Rush is Rush and is somebody I agree with 75% of time and the remaining time I think he goes too far.
But the simple fact is the Democratic party has moved so far Left that the majority of the country does not buy into it anymore and the Left will continue to have to deal with election loss if they dont come to terms with that and change course.

d-ray657
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
In short to the original question YES (enough of the time) and I know the Left thinks the Right are all blind followers who follow like Lemmings heading towards the cliff but its not the case atleast for the many folks I know and respect who lean to the Right. I enjoy FOX News and it is far and away my favorite but I dont like everyone and every show on it.
I watch Cavuto, Special Report, Shep, and Bill O..........and my guilty pleasure Red Eye on FOX.
I watch Morning Joe and Hardball on MSNBC, I also watch Meet the Press and FOX News Sunday on the weekends. Thank God for DVR to be able to compress viewing time.
I did work for John McCain up till the Palin pick and I couldnt in good conscience do it anymore and I still dont support her, Rush is Rush and is somebody I agree with 75% of time and the remaining time I think he goes too far.
But the simple fact is the Democratic party has moved so far Left that the majority of the country does not buy into it anymore and the Left will continue to have to deal with election loss if they dont come to terms with that and change course.

Giving credit where credit is due - that is a direct and reasonable answer to a serious question. From my perspective, however, the Democratic party has not been on the left for a long time. Most Democratic office holders were just not quite as right of center as most Republicans.

I had great hopes for an Obama presidency and I am not willing to give up after only one year, but insofar as he quoted the Gospel in his inauguration speech, another quote comes to mind: "So because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth." Rev. 3:16

That probably makes me sound like the republicans who put out a 'Loyalty test" earlier, but I think what made the health care bill unpalatable to many was that is was neither fish nor fowl, but hash.

Regards,

D-Ray

merrylander
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
MATTHEWS: This woman, this candidate of the Democratic Party came out and told Hispanic voters go ahead and vote, you don't need papers. She was encouraging illegal voting right on -- we heard it on the mike.

I don't know about your state but you need to show your voter registration card here and your name better be on the list or you don't vote.

merrylander
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
You missed it Rob.

Fox said he was getting a free ride.

Ah well as my taste is not all in my mouth I don't watch FOX.

doucanoe
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
No objective observer can dispute that the State of Florida broke the law in the 2000 election. If you doubt this, just look at the coverage in the foreign press. Unlike ours, their media had no reason to sugar coat or conceal the truth.

Sure there is. The foreign press and foreigners hate Bush, remember. I realize that some view anything "foreign" as progressive and enlightened but I'm not one of them.

In a race this close there will always be questions. As far as I know, the questions in this race have to do with the decisions of the state regarding the recount. There is no question of an engineered victory for Frankin through purging voter rolls or vote flipping.

Not exactly but look into the process. What was counted and what was not. I firmly believe that the one that barked the loudest got this one.

"This gal" lost. If she's stupid enough to make the statement she is said to have made her loss was well deserved. Her remarks were condemned by both sides.

As they should be. I also believe that her public "slip" was because shes a moron and not that her sentiments are not promoted by the same people that condemn it.

A state legislator calling for a legal change in eligibility requirements proves what, exactly?

That she a raving lunatic we have had to listen to for 16 years. She held in high esteem by the Dem's here by the way.

The objections to this have to do with the hardship obtaining a photo ID would have on poor and elderly (read Democratic) voters. I have a voter registration card issued by the PRC (People's Republic of California). I had one when I lived in Maryland, in New Jersey and in Virginia. (Can't remember about Colorado.)

Whatever you say.

The ACORN scandal is bullshit. The cases of fraudulent registrations involving ACORN canvassers were reported to the FEC by ACORN themselves. These were cases of people who were getting paid by the registrant padding out their pay packets with bogus registrants.

Nobody has been able to successfully prosecute ACORN for anything and very few have tried because the value of ACORN is in the suspicions created in the public mind by right wing operatives. Any pursuit of justice would exhonerate ACORN and thus remove the stigma.

I very much disagree with this.

:)

"IC"! DemocratIC Party! ;) The Democratic Farm Labor Party was allways a little bit of an odd duck. Humphrey and Mondale were a bit of a breed apart.

John

I liked that duck!

Short answers presented today courtesy a very tired man.
You wear me out John :D

RC

doucanoe
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't know about your state but you need to show your voter registration card here and your name better be on the list or you don't vote.

We let anyone vote. Produce a note from you momma and your good as gold.

RC

merrylander
01-21-2010, 07:28 AM
We let anyone vote. Produce a note from you momma and your good as gold.

RC

Then don't blame us for your screw-ups.

piece-itpete
01-21-2010, 07:53 AM
How about MoveOn and 'General Betrayus'? How insulting is that.

No outcry from the Dems over that, I know more than a few who contributed to them.

And now that he reports to Obama he's Petraeus again. But MoveOn is still 'respected'.

Pete

merrylander
01-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Well how about those wonderful Wall Street people in Moody's who rated those junk derivatives as AAA, I don't see or hear and cons calling for their heads.

doucanoe
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Then don't blame us for your screw-ups.

I assume by "us" you mean Democrats? It's the Democrats here that snub any efforts to create uniformity in the voting rules (I guess you would call it that) across the state along with rejecting any notion of requiring voters to provide photo id at the polling place.

I believe that the argument is that it is "unfair" to people without proper documents and restrict their right to participate. Problem is that without, the result is and should be questioned from the start. If thing deteriorate into a recount situation like they did with Coleman/Franken, it just becomes a pissing match costing the people millions in the process. He who can piss furthest is declared the winner.

RC

piece-itpete
01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Well how about those wonderful Wall Street people in Moody's who rated those junk derivatives as AAA, I don't see or hear and cons calling for their heads.

Let me be the first - off with their heads!

Pete

Grumpy
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM

Thank Mr clinton. Oh but he did balance the budget.

piece-itpete
01-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh but he did balance the budget.

In our minds :eek:

Pete

BlueStreak
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll start out by acknowledging that I am a Democrat (as if that surprises anyone here) I disagree with too much of what is going on in congress, on both sides of the aisle, and I will attribute much of that to what Rob accurately calls legalized bribery. Much of it is also that people willing to get into politics at that level are likely well entrenched in the horse trading that much of politics is. That being said, I prefer the Democrats. They may be bastards, but they're my bastards.

My question for the Republicans out there is whether you are satisfied with the people who appear to be the face of the GOP: I'm talking about people like Rush Limbaugh, the Fox News crew, Sarah Palin (who fits in with the Fox News crew now, I guess) and the newly elected senator from Massachusetts, who is noW being touted as a symbol of America's rejection of the Democratic policies. Do these people speak for you, as a Republican? Why or why not?

Regards,

D-Ray

I think if I were a Republican I would be embarrassed by jackasses such as Limbaugh, Hannity, Palin et al.
I can recall hearing Hannity for the first time and thinking; "Who in the hell would listen to this phoney windbag?" But, that's me. Generally, when they start shouting "This is a Christian nation!!", is when I shut them off. And he does that ad nauseum.

I am registered as an independent, but I do lean left, so I would have to say Democrats should just be embarrassed. But I do like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, mainly for the humor aspect though. I've never found Limbaugh funny per se, even when I was a "ditto-head" long ago. At some point I decided he was just a monotonous asshole, and went back to listening to music.

Dave

Fast_Eddie
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
How about MoveOn and 'General Betrayus'? How insulting is that.

No outcry from the Dems over that, I know more than a few who contributed to them.

There was considerable back lash over that. I've never contributed to MoveOn. I sometimes like their messages and sometimes don't. I did write to them about the "General Betrayus" disaster.

Fast_Eddie
01-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I think if I were a Republican I would be embarrassed by jackasses such as Limbaugh, Hannity, Palin et al.
I can recall hearing Hannity for the first time and thinking; "Who in the hell would listen to this phoney windbag?"

I'm a Democrat and I say the same thing when I watch Olberman. I usually think there's a shread of truth at the core of what he's saying but that act- I'm the rightous one and I'm so disgusted about the evil I see- give me a break. Just say your piece. I like someone like Paul Begala much better. Just kind of a dork who knows what's going on and generally shares my opinions. He can get a little silly sometimes, but so can I. But he usually doesn't make it all out like it's the end of the world.

Grumpy
01-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I can recall hearing Hannity for the first time and thinking; "Who in the hell would listen to this phoney windbag?" But, that's me. Generally, when they start shouting "This is a Christian nation!!", is when I shut them off. And he does that ad nauseum.

I am registered as an independent, but I do lean left, so I would have to say Democrats should just be embarrassed. But I do like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, mainly for the humor aspect though. I've never found Limbaugh funny per se, even when I was a "ditto-head" long ago. At some point I decided he was just a monotonous asshole, and went back to listening to music.

Dave

I am not the least bit embarrassed by these imbeciles on the TV. They do not, in any way represent me, or my views. In fact I do not watch any of em.

merrylander
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Thank Mr clinton. Oh but he did balance the budget.

It was Phil Gramm's bright idea and Rubin told Clinton it was a good idea to drop Glass Stegall so I think there if more than enough blame to go 'round.

Grumpy
01-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Very, very true. Sad part is no ones accepting it. :(

Its the American way dagnabit !

merrylander
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
No, in fact Phil says we are all just a bunch of whiners.