PDA

View Full Version : Iran has auto industry.

Dondilion
06-29-2014, 10:35 AM
I was surprise to know that Iran has an auto industry.

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-resumes-auto-exports-russia-110807438-finance.html

donquixote99
06-29-2014, 10:46 AM
Probably heavily government-subsidized, for prestige, employment, and trade/currency reasons. The export-to-Russia thing is because they really need foreign exchange with Russia right now. And the Russians want them to have it....

10,000 units into a 2.3 million-unit market isn't going to make the Russian automakers squawk too much.

Dondilion
06-29-2014, 11:11 AM
Probably heavily government-subsidized, for prestige, employment, and trade/currency reasons. The export-to-Russia thing is because they really need foreign exchange with Russia right now. And the Russians want them to have it....

10,000 units into a 2.3 million-unit market isn't going to make the Russian automakers squawk too much.

Yeah it seems the Russian automotive industry has recovered from 2008/9
world recession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Russia

djv8ga
06-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Maybe they could add an ejection seat to save the poor SOB's life during a car bombing.

whell
07-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I wonder if it is programmed to explode if driving near a US embassy?

finnbow
07-01-2014, 12:58 PM
There's a strong likelihood that they have better ignition switches than GM cars.

Tom Joad
07-01-2014, 01:47 PM
There's a strong likelihood that they have better ignition switches than GM cars.

Whats the deal with that?

I haven't looked into it, just heard about it.

How do you get killed by a bad ignition switch?

finnbow
07-01-2014, 01:51 PM

The weight of the key chain overrode a defective detente spring in the switch and turned the car off at highway speed, thereby losing power-steering and brakes, not to mention the airbag after the accident occurred.

Dondilion
07-01-2014, 02:43 PM
The weight of the key chain overrode a defective detente spring in the switch and turned the car off at highway speed, thereby losing power-steering and brakes, not to mention the airbag after the accident occurred.

I guess people are pissed more about how Management handle the issue.

piece-itpete
07-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Every time I see the thread title I get a chuckle.

Pete

MrPots
07-01-2014, 04:15 PM

It's just a matter of time until every GM on the road has been recalled. They've recalled the Buick, I suspect the Tahoe is next.

I've already sworn off GM though.

I realized when I bought the Mustang I'd been a fool for buying GM products.

Tom Joad
07-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Are you shitin me?

WTF is a detente spring?

This would never happen in one of those old school cars.

I wish the hell they would go back to the plain old keys without all this electronic crap.

Shit, I got stranded once because a screw came loose and the fucking chip fell out of my whatever they call it now. A fob or some such shit as that?

Too Goddamned many bells ad whistles on cars these days. It's just more shit that can break down on you is all it is. :mad:

finnbow
07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
Are you shitin me?

WTF is a detente spring?

The detente spring is the spring that holds the key's position in the desired place. GM (actually AC Delco) put too short a spring in the ignition switch and it thereby put too little force behind the plunger that goes into the little divots that keep the key in its chosen position.

These aren't newfangled ignition switches. They are the same basic design as has been used for a half a century.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579435171004763740

Tom Joad
07-01-2014, 08:59 PM
These aren't newfangled ignition switches. They are the same basic design as has been used for a half a century.

Yeah, but back in those days we didn't even have seat belts let alone air bags.

finnbow
07-01-2014, 09:14 PM

In the case of the GM ignition switch, airbag deployment is being used as an indicator as to whether or not a faulty ignition switch was responsible for the crash. If the car turned off before colliding, the airbag would not deploy. Conversely, if the air bag deployed, something else caused the accident.

MikeG22
07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
And people were killed all the time in accidents. I agree all these computers on wheels really suck but you are so much safer today.

BlueStreak
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Maybe they could add an ejection seat to save the poor SOB's life during a car bombing.

As a guy who once rebuilt Martin Baker ejection seats for a living....:)

This is actually pretty funny.

Dave

BlueStreak
07-01-2014, 09:26 PM
And people were killed all the time in accidents. I agree all these computers on wheels really suck but you are so much safer today.

True that.

Actually,

I recently rode in a really nice '69 Camaro. Compared to todays vehicles it was noisy (full of various rattles/wind noise), uncomfortable and floats like a balloon at the higher speeds. Fast, strong acceleration, but watch those curves............:eek:

Dave

Pio1980
07-01-2014, 10:03 PM
AFAIK, it is standard practice to recommend a separate key always be used to avoid eventual problems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

piece-itpete
07-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Wholy crap Tom we're close on something :eek: There is something raw about non 'puter cars that I really like, and I still haven't driven anything with the straight line ride of old body on frame RWD American cars.

Pete

djv8ga
07-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Wholy crap Tom we're close on something :eek: There is something raw about non 'puter cars that I really like, and I still haven't driven anything with the straight line ride of old body on frame RWD American cars.

Pete
I remember when everyone bitched about vacuum lines.

I've always wanted to put a vintage fuel injection system converted to EFI on my Vega. I just hate the idea of being held hostage by a computer chip.

merrylander
07-03-2014, 12:03 PM

I never could understand the penchant for having everything but the kitchen sink on you key chain. Ours have the ignition key and the door opener.

merrylander
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
The detente spring is the spring that holds the key's position in the desired place. GM (actually AC Delco) put too short a spring in the ignition switch and it thereby put too little force behind the plunger that goes into the little divots that keep the key in its chosen position.

Then how come our Impalas don't have this problem if it is a common switch used throughout?

merrylander
07-03-2014, 12:12 PM

Tell me about it, in the 62 Falcon Futura I once owned I installed seat belt (they were optional). Well one winter the salt tuck guy must have taken time to light a smoke and the hopper went empty. I hit that ice patch spun into the snowbank rolled the car over and came to rest on the driver's side. It was like emerging from a submarine getting out the passenger's door. Afterward I could not sit upright in the car because the roof was pushed in. Didn't get a scratch.

VanishingPoi
01-04-2015, 09:55 AM

If I am not mistaken, I was told they only pay about 5 cents a gallon for gas.

donquixote99
01-04-2015, 10:13 AM
That's a very valuable gov benefit, if true....

So I checked. Bloomberg has Iran at $1.42/gal.

Venezula is where gas is as cheap as you're saying: $.04/gal. Saudi Arabia comes in second-lowest, at over 10 times that price.

the link: http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/gas-prices/

donquixote99
01-04-2015, 10:18 AM
At .04/gal in Venezula, the government must be providing it totally free to the gas stations.

Of course, that means the government is deciding what stations get how much. I wonder if stations that are at $.04/gal and actually have gas on hand are perhaps a hit or miss thing to find.

And i wonder if there's a black-market price for 'all the gas you want, right here right now....'

donquixote99
01-04-2015, 10:36 AM
This very critical opinion piece in Forbes suggests that if there are not gas shortages in Venezula now, there will be....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2014/02/20/cheap-gasoline-why-venezuela-is-doomed-to-collapse/3/

Dondilion
01-04-2015, 11:17 AM
This very critical opinion piece in Forbes suggests that if there are not gas shortages in Venezula now, there will be....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2014/02/20/cheap-gasoline-why-venezuela-is-doomed-to-collapse/3/

A pity!

Wasillaguy
01-05-2015, 12:00 PM
True that.

Actually,

I recently rode in a really nice '69 Camaro. Compared to todays vehicles it was noisy (full of various rattles/wind noise), uncomfortable and floats like a balloon at the higher speeds. Fast, strong acceleration, but watch those curves............:eek:

Dave

I remember Camaros being way too light in the ass end. You could peel rubber for a long ways, if you could keep it between the ditches.

Wasillaguy
01-05-2015, 12:03 PM
I never could understand the penchant for having everything but the kitchen sink on you key chain. Ours have the ignition key and the door opener.

Amen brother. The wife has a million fobs, mini-tools, store discount tags, etc. on her keychain. When I drive her car, I grab the other key on a ring with only the mailbox key.

The only thing worthy of sharing the key ring with a muscle car, IMO, is a church key (bottle/can opener for you young 'uns)

VanishingPoi
01-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Are you shitin me?

WTF is a detente spring?

This would never happen in one of those old school cars.

I wish the hell they would go back to the plain old keys without all this electronic crap.

Shit, I got stranded once because a screw came loose and the fucking chip fell out of my whatever they call it now. A fob or some such shit as that?

Too Goddamned many bells ad whistles on cars these days. It's just more shit that can break down on you is all it is. :mad:

Yeah, but think of all jobs it can create!:D Just kidding....