PDA

View Full Version : Hugo Chavez told me something I didnt know

Writewing
01-23-2010, 02:16 AM
We have weapons capable of causing earthquakes and we caused the disaster in Haiti when we tested it. Hugo somehow found this out.
Now I feel really awful for the poor souls in that hell on earth but.............. we can cause earthquakes.......America FUCK YEA!

BlueStreak
01-23-2010, 02:24 AM
That's funny!

When the news first hit, I was telling the guys at work, "Somehow, we did this. You watch, someone will say we tunneled under Haiti and lit off a nuke."

Although I was thinking it would be that whackjob in North Korea.

Man, that's rich.

Dave

finnbow
01-23-2010, 09:16 AM
I think it's a good thing when whack-jobs of all stripes spout off silly shit like this. It helps peel of the last bit of veneer hiding what remains of their tattered credibility.

merrylander
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
That is devoutly to be hoped, but given how easily the tea party masses have been to dupe I am not holding my breath.

BlueStreak
01-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I think it's a good thing when whack-jobs of all stripes spout off silly shit like this. It helps peel of the last bit of veneer hiding what remains of their tattered credibility.

Not everytime, Finnbow. Think about it. Sometimes whack-jobs spout off absurd shit and their popularity rises............:rolleyes:

Dave

finnbow
01-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Not everytime, Finnbow. Think about it. Sometimes whack-jobs spout off absurd shit and their popularity rises............:rolleyes:

Dave

Point taken. But somehow, my undies don't get all bunched up over Chavez's rhetoric. Now Pat Robertson, OTOH.:mad:

Fast_Eddie
01-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Either that or we send them to Congress.

(edit) teach me to post without reading the other posts- looks like I'm late to this party. Tea anyone?

finnbow
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Frankly, it doesn't upset me greatly when a Latin Americans lashes out rhetorically at America. If one knows the history of American involvement in Latin America (WW (grasshopper) might be ruled ruled out here), a certain level of contempt should be expected and is probably deserved. Causing an earthquake, however, is bit beyond our capabilities and competence.

merrylander
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Eddie at the top of the thread is a New Topic button to start a new thread orsimply go to the bottom where it says Quick Reply.

Boreas
01-23-2010, 11:39 AM
If one knows the history of American involvement in Latin America (WW (grasshopper) might be ruled ruled out here),

You know, I don't think it's entirely fair to call WW "grasshopper". The fictional Grasshopper in the "Kung Fu" series was an earnest young student with a demonstrated capacity for learning.

John

finnbow
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
You know, I don't think it's entirely fair to call WW "grasshopper". The fictional Grasshopper in the "Kung Fu" series was an earnest young student with a demonstrated capacity for learning.

John

Point taken. WW it is. I just wanted Rob to know who I was referring to since he coined the name for our belligerent friend.

Boreas
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Frankly, it doesn't upset me greatly when a Latin Americans lashes out rhetorically at America. If one knows the history of American involvement in Latin America (WW (grasshopper) might be ruled ruled out here), a certain level of contempt should be expected and is probably deserved. Causing an earthquake, however, is bit beyond our capabilities and competence.

Can anyone say, "School of the Americas"? From El Salvador to Chile we have raped South and Central America for over a century. The reservoir of hatred there is very real and largely untapped. If enough demagogues like Chavez come to power in the region we and our corporate masters are going to get tossed out on our asses.

John

merrylander
01-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Point taken. WW it is. I just wanted Rob to know who I was referring to since he coined the name for our belligerent friend.

Ah well I had hoped he might learn.:o

Grumpy
01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Can anyone say, "School of the Americas"? From El Salvador to Chile we have raped South and Central America for over a century. The reservoir of hatred there is very real and largely untapped. If enough demagogues like Chavez come to power in the region we and our corporate masters are going to get tossed out on our asses.

John

I hope they take back their country and its problems. Cut off all their aid, either way and feed our own.

Boreas
01-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I hope they take back their country and its problems. Cut off all their aid, either way and feed our own.

Grumpy, there's a book you might want to read. It's called "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins. Our "aid" frequently comes with a very high price.

John

Twodogs
01-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Yep, and the reason our military is there is to keep aid from getting in. It was all an experiment with our new earthquake weapon that we are developing to use on Iran. I wonder if Obama will make a world apology before his handlers get word to him that it's not true.:p

merrylander
01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
So look out Hugo, you're next.:p

Twodogs
01-23-2010, 04:39 PM
So look out Hugo, you're next.:p

Ack! I agree with Rob!:eek:

merrylander
01-24-2010, 07:24 AM
God, that must have hurt.:D

Sandy G
01-24-2010, 08:18 AM
This is obviously bullshit, but, yannow, I REALLY wonder what "Pie in the Sky" stuff we DO have ? Like what do we have that makes the SR-71 look like a Model T, f'r instance ? The SR-71 is nigh on to 50 yrs old now, campers...At 2X its age, we'd barely got off the ground...You can't tell me they just K-W-I-T after that, sayin' "This is as far as we can go....Buh-Bye..." In '62, a computer was a glorified calculator, & it took a rig that took up a whole floor of an office building to do THAT...Perform simple calculations. They thought it was Hott Schitt to transmit grainy B&W television pictures from America to Yoorup...No, I don't THINK we can cause earthquakes-Yet- but it WOULD be innerestin' to know what the devious minds in the labs of some uber-secret No Such Agency HAVE dreamed up....

merrylander
01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Well there was DAVID, the anti aircraft gun that blew a shithouse apart during field trials.:rolleyes:

Sandy G
01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, well Rob, maybe there ARE reasons they ain't tellin' us about their Wunnerful-Wunnerful new toys...

Twodogs
01-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Why on earth would we need a special weapon to kick the shit out of Iran. We wouldn't even have to pull a single trigger, just give Israel what they need and lots of. They would enjoy it more than our boys anyhow. Nah, we don't need special weapons, just a leader with some sense (and balls). I guess we didn't learn anything from letting Hitler grow his forces before doing what HAD to be done.

BlueStreak
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Grumpy, there's a book you might want to read. It's called "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins. Our "aid" frequently comes with a very high price.

John

+1---Fascinating read.

merrylander
01-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I think old Hugo is in trouble, devalued currency, rolling blackouts, country is near about broke. Maybe if he had concentrated on running the country instead of bad mouthing us at every opportunity he would be better off. I give him one more year.

Grumpy
01-25-2010, 09:04 AM
I think old Hugo is in trouble, devalued currency, rolling blackouts, country is near about broke. Maybe if he had concentrated on running the country instead of bad mouthing us at every opportunity he would be better off. I give him one more year.

Didnt ya know ? Bad mouthing us is the surest way to generate aid..

rickr15
01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Didnt ya know ? Bad mouthing us is the surest way to generate aid..

As long as we need the oil he's selling I guess we have to let him rant. Kinda like how we keep kissing the Saudis asses.

Fast_Eddie
01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
As long as we need the oil he's selling...

Maybe we should work on that.

merrylander
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I think it is the other way 'round, he needs to sell us oil.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM
As long as we need the oil he's selling I guess we have to let him rant. Kinda like how we keep kissing the Saudis asses.

Shop CITGO!! ;)

John

rickr15
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Maybe we should work on that.

Ya think.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I think it is the other way 'round, he needs to sell us oil.

Rob, with a commodity like oil, even a "big customer" like us has very little leverage. There are always plenty of buyers. If we don't buy from Venezuela we'll just have to buy somewhere else. Meanwhile other customers will line up to buy the oil we told Chavez to pump up his arse.

The only way to marginalize people like Chavez or the mullahs and sheiks who throw their "oil weight" around is to move away from a petroleum economy as rapidly as we can. Period. End of story. There is absolutely no other way.

(Then we can move into a water based economy and North America and Europe will have the rest of the world by the short and curlies. ;))

John

rickr15
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
(Then we can move into a water based economy and North America and Europe will have the rest of the world by the short and curlies. ;))

John

Or food based.
Growing crops is still something no one does better.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Or food based.

Yeah, but our "Captains of Industry" are offshoring that now. Cheaper is preferable to better.

Mother of Mercy, is this the end of AmeRico?

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Or food based.

Yeh, but a lot of countries aren't too thrilled about our FrankenFoods (genetically engineered crops). Most of our grain crops nowadays are genetically engineered by Monsanto to allow indisriminate spraying of fields with Roundup (a Monsanto product).

Boreas
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeh, but a lot of countries aren't too thrilled about our FrankenFoods (genetically engineered crops). Most of our grain crops nowadays are genetically engineered by Monsanto to allow indisriminate spraying of fields with Roundup (a Monsanto product).

Not only that but many are sterile hybrids. Others are so bizarrely licensed that a farmer can't keep back a percentage of his yield as seed stock for the next season. He has to buy new seed every year from the manufacturer.

There have even been cases where bees pollinating neighboring fields have produced crops identifiable as the "property" of one or another big agro corporation. These corporations have then successfully sued these poor farmers for "theft of intellectual property".

It's disgraceful that we allow this sort of fascistic behavior to persist.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Others are so bizarrely licensed that a farmer can't keep back a percentage of his yield as seed stock for the next season. He has to buy new seed every year from the manufacturer.

From what I've heard, a farmer can't even use properly licensed seeds left over from one year during the following planting season.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
From what I've heard, a farmer can't even use properly licensed seeds left over from one year during the following planting season.

I believe that's true as well.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I believe that's true as well.

John

Damn. That's as bad as a Microsoft End User License Agreement.:(

merrylander
01-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Not only that but many are sterile hybrids. Others are so bizarrely licensed that a farmer can't keep back a percentage of his yield as seed stock for the next season. He has to buy new seed every year from the manufacturer.

There have even been cases where bees pollinating neighboring fields have produced crops identifiable as the "property" of one or another big agro corporation. These corporations have then successfully sued these poor farmers for "theft of intellectual property".

John

Try telling that to Senator Chuck 'ADM' Grassley

JJIII
01-25-2010, 03:39 PM

John

Hold on to your hat! I'm with you on this. :)

Boreas
01-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Hold on to your hat! I'm with you on this. :)

That's why this place can be a good thing. I'm sure we all have far more we agree on than any of us suspect. To the extent we discover that common ground we have a chance to narrow the divide in this country and heal the wounds each side has inflicted on the other.

John

Sandy G
01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Oh, yeah...My dad sold seeds for an outfit named Asgrow back in the day...The seeds were good for THAT season only, the next year they wouldn't/couldn't guarantee germination, as even back in the '70s they were "Hybrided to the max". The deal w/suing a farmer for seeds blowing over on the next guy's land is pretty much beyond the pale, IMHO. Seeds also tended to be "Area specific", they were tailored to a certain extent for what area of the country you were in. Seed that was for the Dakotas or the Prairie provinces likely wouldn't do as well as seed that was for the Southeast.

Writewing
01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
FWIW on our family farm we grow corn wheat and soy bean in Central Indiana. 20 yrs ago our acre average yield was 95-100 bushels now today its around 170-180 so thats a huge leap in value. That is mostly hybrid technology but also new Combine tech aswell. Just thought that was interesting enough to pass along. I dont farm or live near them but they are still farming 2500 acres but got of of hogs years ago as they got pushed out by superfarms.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Oh, yeah...My dad sold seeds for an outfit named Asgrow back in the day...The seeds were good for THAT season only, the next year they wouldn't/couldn't guarantee germination, as even back in the '70s they were "Hybrided to the max". The deal w/suing a farmer for seeds blowing over on the next guy's land is pretty much beyond the pale, IMHO. Seeds also tended to be "Area specific", they were tailored to a certain extent for what area of the country you were in. Seed that was for the Dakotas or the Prairie provinces likely wouldn't do as well as seed that was for the Southeast.

It's not so much hybridization any more. It's genetic engineering. They'll take a gene from, oh i dunno, a flounder and stick it into the corn's DNA because it makes it more frost hardy or they add a gene or genes from a series of unrelated organisms to produce a plant that can't be killed by Round-Up. That allows agribusiness to nuke their fields with pesticide and kill off everything except the cash crop.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't know if you gents followed this (http://www.dailydemocrat.com/news/ci_14215164), but Monsanto and DuPont are fighting it out in court about Roundup Ready seed. Reading this short article, the fact that Monsanto and DuPont are the two biggest seed companies in the world gives me pause.:(

Boreas
01-25-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't know if you gents followed this (http://www.dailydemocrat.com/news/ci_14215164), but Monsanto and DuPont are fighting it out in court about Roundup Ready seed. Reading this short article, the fact that Monsanto and DuPont are the two biggest seed companies in the world gives me pause.:(

You all do realize that when you're munching a bunch of Fritos these days not only are you eating a food not found in nature but you're eating Roundup.

John

Boreas
01-25-2010, 07:54 PM
By the way, when I jokingly referred to a flounder gene being inserted into corn DNA I was actually half remembering something I had learned concerning GMOs. Scientists have used a flounder gene to make crops more frost hardy but it's not corn. It's tomatoes.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
You all do realize that when you're munching a bunch of Fritos these days not only are you eating a food not found in nature but you're eating Roundup.

John

Yum. Pass the salsa (also made with genetically engineered tomatoes, I presume.)

Sandy G
01-25-2010, 08:28 PM
We grew Maters, too. We actually rented out the bottom land to a Mr Wayne Scott, who was the Tomato King. Our soil here is VERY good for tomatoes.It was amazing to me how many tomatoes go to waste-Easily 50%. The ones we grew were genetically engineered to be somewhat oblong shaped, & roughly the same size-diameter as a hamburger bun. They were picked either green, or with the faintest whiff of pink on 'em-They would rot by the time they got where they were sposed to be otherwise. They would "Sorta" ripen, but they really weren't very good that way. But the ones that did get to ripen in the field were to-die-for good. After Labor Day, Mr Scott would open the fields up to anybody who wanted them, & we'd have scads & scads of folks picking maters, right up til the 1st frost about mid-October. I think Mr Scott was one of the big suppliers for Hardee's/Carl's Junior. We haven't grown maters in several years, Mr Scott passed on, & I think tomatoes are VERY hard on the soil of a field-they tend to "Eat out" a lot of the nutrients in the soil.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Living as I do in California, I'm blessed with good local produce of every kind but the absolute best tomatoes I've ever had were the ones I used to get in New Jersey. They were really, really good! There's a reason why Jersey is called The Garden State and also a reason why Campbell's Soup located in Camden. If you know anything about Camden you'll know you have to have a damned good reason to be there.

John

Sandy G
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh, yeah..New Jersey w/the exceptions of Camden/Philly & Newark/New York & a few other towns, is really one big farm...BEAUTIFUL farms, & I think they grow everything from A-Z there. I think you would have to TRY hard to fail at being a farmer in NJ...What with 20 million HUNGRY customers within a day's drive, from Boston to DC...

Boreas
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Oh, yeah..New Jersey w/the exceptions of Camden/Philly & Newark/New York & a few other towns, is really one big farm...BEAUTIFUL farms, & I think they grow everything from A-Z there. I think you would have to TRY hard to fail at being a farmer in NJ...What with 20 million HUNGRY customers within a day's drive, from Boston to DC...

Jersey gets a bad rap because all anyone knows about it is what they see out of their car window on the NJ Turnpike. It really ain't all that bad. I lived there for 8 years and liked it a lot. Best record store on the East Coast is the Princeton Record Exchange.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Best record store on the East Coast is the Princeton Record Exchange.

John

+1 on that. I spent a couple of days at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab for meetings last may and spent an hour or two each evening at PEX. Great record store, both in terms of selection and pricing.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
+1 on that. I spent a couple of days at the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab for meetings last may and spent an hour or two each evening at PEX. Great record store, both in terms of selection and pricing.

I used to live about 5 miles from PEX. Paradise! I lived there at the time when all the radio stations were switching to CDs. There were millions of "homeless" records then, a vinyl lover's wet dream. ;)

John

noonereal
01-26-2010, 02:49 AM

:confused:

I lived in NJ most my life and seldom saw a farm.

I know there are a few still left but Jersey is really a cross between a giant suburb, inner city and urban with an ocean view.

Camden is indeed as bad as it gets but places like Jersey City (downtown), Hoboken and Newark (Ironbound) are some of the best places to live in America.
IMHO of course. :)

where is this farm? :D

hillbilly
01-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Here's a NJ farm, small, high priced as hell .. but it's a farm. :D

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/reb/1568283587.html

Good God All-Mighty .. watta price to pay for land in NJ .. :eek:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/reb/1567916894.html

I knew there was a reason I love Tennessee ;)

http://nashville.craigslist.org/reb/1560582300.html

Little high at 300k, but your gettin' 160 very private acres .. and taxes are filthy cheap .. cheap as in damn cheap.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/reo/1547255164.html

I'll admit this is high priced at nearly 2 mil, but with 745 acres, there should be no reason for a neighbor to complain about the stereo being to loud.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/reb/1533141424.html

Dad only paid 20,000.00 ( twenty-thousand-dollars ) for his 262 acre farm in the hills a county over from me, but theres a reason it was so cheap. He lives in the sticks and the nearest town only has a population of about 200 and it has no gas station or store of any kind. He has to drive 12 miles past it to buy bread or gas. Thats where I growed up .. ya'll wonder why I don't like change? I tried living in town 4 miles up from where I am now, done so for ten years but bought a place out in the country soon as the house in town was paid off. A town of 700 people was just to nerve wrecking with no privacy. Got my ass out of there soon as I could .. and our kids thank us dearly as I did my dad as a kid .. exept I stayed close enough that my kids stayed in the same school where they still have all their friends they were born and raised with ... and still keep their horses and ATV's and ride them without having to haul them somewhere else to ride. I'd never take that away from them. They know everyone since all three towns share the only school ( about 430 kids total K-8'th ). Lotta kids for three spaced out towns isn't it? :o

Sandy G
01-26-2010, 05:20 AM
When I went thru central Jersey in the early '80s, there was a LOT of farmland there..Once you got away from the Thruway. Polling land, obviously under cultivation, rich black soil, reminded me a lot of here. the people seemed to be nice, down to earth types, not a bunch of Tony Soprano goombahs, either. Then we went to Absecon & Atlantic City, & it turned back into "Joisey" again....The 2nd morning we were there, they were hauling some guy in off the pier there...Worst case of suicide they'd ever seen...3 bullet holes in his back...This was right after they'd gotten casinos in Atlantic City, & there was still a lot of urban blight. Place was dirty, decrepit, run down, & they told us NOT to get off the boardwalk or away from the few casinos...They were hauling little old ladies in to the casinos...Bus after bus after busload of 'em from Philly & NYC, basically to get skinned...I thought that was kinda sad, 'cause you KNEW at least some of 'em were playing w/their "Butter 'n' Egg" money...But I found out the hard way that you DON'T wanna get between Flora Rosenthal or Goldie Weinstein & what they believe is a "hot" slot machine if you know what's good for you...

JJIII
01-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Best thing that ever came out of Jersey is the TV show 'Jersey Shore"!

NOT! :)

d-ray657
01-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Best thing that ever came out of Jersey is the TV show 'Jersey Shore"!

NOT! :)

Hey, I've never missed that show. I've never heard of it, but I get along fine without it.

Regards,

D-Ray

Boreas
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
:confused:

I lived in NJ most my life and seldom saw a farm.

I know there are a few still left but Jersey is really a cross between a giant suburb, inner city and urban with an ocean view.

Camden is indeed as bad as it gets but places like Jersey City (downtown), Hoboken and Newark (Ironbound) are some of the best places to live in America.
IMHO of course. :)

where is this farm? :D

There are farms all over South Jersey (which is probably what Sandy saw) in Burlington, Gloucester, Salem and Cumberland Counties. A fair amount in Central Jersey, say Middlesex, Mercer, Somerset and Monmouth Counties and then up in the far northwest in Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex Counties.

I did notice when I lived there that a lot of the folks who lived in the part of New Jersey that's more or less a part of NYC rarely left the area and knew next to nothing about the rest of the state. You should go back for a visit, Noone. There's a lot of good stuff there you must have missed.

John

noonereal
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Yep, that is how farmers in NJ make money now. They sell the land. It's allot more valuable than the "farm" business.

Way fewer farms in NJ each year.

Yeah I am one of those folks who lived in the North urban area of Jersey but I do travel the rest of the state and have for years and years. Heck I even used to make some extra weekend cash buying produce from the farmers and reselling it in Manhattan and North Jersey's affluent suburbs.

The states personality is defiantly urban and that which is not is fading fast.
As to Princeton, a gem. My youngest is hoping to live there for 4 years after high school. If anyone has an in let me know. ;)

Her older sister attended Rutgers. Two great schools that I'd hold up against any other state. Yeah, Jersey is home but now I pay my taxes to NY.

Boreas
01-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Yep, that is how farmers in NJ make money now. They sell the land. It's allot more valuable than the "farm" business.

Yep! Houses are the new cash crop in New Jersey. As housing gets more and more expensive around NYC people are moving farther and farther away. Farmers are realizing that they can cash out to developers and retire very comfortably.

I can remember seeing commuter buses hauling ass across I-78, ferrying commuters from the Easton, PA area to NYC and back again. NJ was just a state these people had to travel across to get to and from work. Amazing!

The states personality is defiantly urban and that which is not is fading fast.

NJ has the highest population density of any state so when you consider that the NW and the SE portions of the state are very rural and thinly populated it shows you just how jam packed with people the NYC and Philly metros are.

As to Princeton, a gem. My youngest is hoping to live there for 4 years after high school. If anyone has an in let me know. ;)

Sorry, no "ins". I was town, not gown. Great place and I miss it a lot sometimes.

Her older sister attended Rutgers. Two great schools that I'd hold up against any other state. Yeah, Jersey is home but now I pay my taxes to NY.

Rutgers and Berkeley are the two gems of state universities here.

John

Boreas
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I forgot about this aspect of NJ agriculture. Up in the north there are a fair amount of "muck farms". This is a European form of agriculture where they drain fenland or bogs and farm in the peaty humus that results when the soil dries out. It's outrageously good for root crops but pretty destructive of the environment.

John

finnbow
01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Rutgers and Berkeley are the two gems of state universities here.

John

As much as it pains me to say it (I'm a VT Hokie), the University of Virginia is way near the top of public universities. UC Berkeley and UVa share #1 or #2 perenially for being the top two public universities in the country.

Boreas
01-26-2010, 02:42 PM
As much as it pains me to say it (I'm a VT Hokie), the University of Virginia is way near the top of public universities. UC Berkeley and UVa share #1 or #2 perenially for being the top two public universities in the country.

You're right. I had forgotten about UVa.

Senior moment.

John

Sandy G
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Yeah, UVa fancies itself as an "Ivy-League" school-Or very near it, anyway...Very old, very tradition-bound, Mr Jefferson's school-And I DON'T mean "George" Jefferson, either...When I was going to Richmond, they were 70 miles up the road from us, & a lot of kids partied up there. I never saw what was so damn great about it-But in Virginia, UVa has this mystique-Mainly it's all about acting like a Horse's Patoot to anyone who DOESN'T go to UVa, or isn't an FFV-First Family of Virginia. We had a bunch of those jackasses at Richmond, too-I'd laugh at 'em & tell 'em that the only reason they were FFVs in the 1st place was that their great-great-great grandaddies were wanted in 12 countries in Yoorup, they HAD to abscondiate to the New World...Virginia more or less ends around Roanoke to those people, except for maybe a lonely outpost of civilisation in Abingdon-Otherwise, its strictly "Here there be Tygers", & God have mercy on your soul if you end up down in that heathern place, Tennessee....I liked Roanoke because they started sounding like me on the CB when I went thru there...That & there is a Girls' School, Hollins, that I liked to stop & see a couple of friends I had there...

finnbow
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, UVa fancies itself as an "Ivy-League" school-Or very near it, anyway...Very old, very tradition-bound, Mr Jefferson's school-And I DON'T mean "George" Jefferson, either...When I was going to Richmond, they were 70 miles up the road from us, & a lot of kids partied up there. I never saw what was so damn great about it-But in Virginia, UVa has this mystique-Mainly it's all about acting like a Horse's Patoot to anyone who DOESN'T go to UVa, or isn't an FFV-First Family of Virginia. We had a bunch of those jackasses at Richmond, too-I'd laugh at 'em & tell 'em that the only reason they were FFVs in the 1st place was that their great-great-great grandaddies were wanted in 12 countries in Yoorup, they HAD to abscondiate to the New World...Virginia more or less ends around Roanoke to those people, except for maybe a lonely outpost of civilisation in Abingdon-Otherwise, its strictly "Here there be Tygers", & God have mercy on your soul if you end up down in that heathern place, Tennessee....I liked Roanoke because they started sounding like me on the CB when I went thru there...That & there is a Girls' School, Hollins, that I liked to stop & see a couple of friends I had there...

Quoted for truth. We took a trip to UVa to poke around when my son was school shopping (he'll graduate from VT in May). All the dweebs tooling around campus with their white button-down shirts and ties were a bit much to take. They acted like they were direct blood descendants from Jefferson (without a drop of Sally Hemings blood, of course).

Sandy G
01-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh, yeah...It's like 1966 NEVER went away in Charlottesville...Always tickled me to see those wannabe kids try to "Out-Prep" each other...I really WAS a Prep, & we wouldn't have been caught dead dressing or acting like those jerkovs...In the late '70s, Ford coulda gone back into production w/the '66 Mustang, not changing a thing on 'em & sold a jillion of 'em just to the kids at UVa alone...

noonereal
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I forgot about this aspect of NJ agriculture. Up in the north there are a fair amount of "muck farms". This is a European form of agriculture where they drain fenland or bogs and farm in the peaty humus that results when the soil dries out. It's outrageously good for root crops but pretty destructive of the environment.

I know of a few "black dirt" farms in NJ. Southern NY has a small region like this that literally is the boarder area with NJ. That is the larger portion of the area.
The land was called "drowned lands" by the native Americans and it is said to be the richest soil in the US.
Lot's of organic crops grown there now as one of the worlds biggest markets for organic food is only an hour drive from the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dirt_Region

Boreas
01-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I know of a few "black dirt" farms in NJ. Southern NY has a small region like this that literally is the boarder area with NJ. That is the larger portion of the area.
The land was called "drowned lands" by the native Americans and it is said to be the richest soil in the US.
Lot's of organic crops grown there now as one of the worlds biggest markets for organic food is only an hour drive from the area.

That's the stuff!

I was wondering how the heck we got from Hugo Chavez to New Jersey and then it dawned on me.

1. When the New Jersey Turnpike opened up Cities Service Oil Company had the gasoline concession for the whole thing. All the rest areas had Cities Service gas and HoJo's restaurants.

2. Cities Service became Citgo.

3. Citgo was bought by the Venezuelan government.

Funny, that! ;)

John

Boreas
01-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Couldn't figure out why I turned this thread to a conversation about New Jersey. Well, I just finished a 2 hour phone call from an old girlfriend in NJ. There must have been some vibes coming my way.

John

noonereal
01-27-2010, 07:17 AM
Couldn't figure out why I turned this thread to a conversation about New Jersey. Well, I just finished a 2 hour phone call from an old girlfriend in NJ. There must have been some vibes coming my way.

John

That is always a nice thing.

I remember running into an old girlfriend and her waning to get back together, after 20 years! Better to have fond memories was my stance.