PDA

View Full Version : Republicans and US History

bobabode
08-19-2014, 02:59 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-republicans-throw-a-conniption-20140819-column.html

I guess anything that besmirches their candy coated version of the Gilded Age is a call to arms.

"Republicans throw a conniption over the teaching of U.S. history"

"As students prepare to return to school in the next few weeks, there's no better time for a conservative freakout over education. The issue of the moment is a new outline, or "framework," issued by the College Board for advanced placement classes in U.S. history.
The framework (http://media.collegeboard.com/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-course-exam-descriptions/ap-us-history-course-and-exam-description.pdf) is here. According to a resolution (http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/RNC.JPG) passed at the recent summer meeting of the Republican National Committee meeting in Chicago, it "reflects a radically revisionist view of American history that emphasizes negative aspects." The RNC calls the framework, which is to be implemented for some 500,000 AP history students this fall, "biased and inaccurate."
Wartime experiences, such as the internment of Japanese Americans...and the decision to drop the atomic bomb raised questions about American values.- College Boards' instructional framework for AP US history classes

The RNC calls for Congress to de-fund the College Board, an independent body, until the course material can be "rewritten...to accurately reflect U.S. history without a political bias."" Michael Hiltzik LATimes

BlueStreak
08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
No, they want US history to reflect THEIR political bias. Which is to say they want to fill it up with fairytales about saintly Founders who unanimously agreed on every issue, blacks that were thrilled to be slaves, Indians that didn't really like living in Georgia anyways and coal miners that were damn proud to work in a dangerous hole in the ground for shitty pay in the form of company script and a cot in the company barracks.

The GOP can stick it's version of American history and its brainwashed content up their fat butts.

Dave

piece-itpete
08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Many conservatives still don't get with the current program of blaming their country for all the world's ills. American Idiot and all that.

I read some of it, and I also read their resolution. The standards seem pretty boilerplate, but the resolution's not unreasonable, particularly about the sample test made public.

That said schools race to the lowest common denominator is rooted in our society and is not necessarily the educators' fault.

Pete

Tom Joad
08-20-2014, 12:48 PM
"Don't worry Mizz Scarlet, we'll stop them Yankees"

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Dog_of_the_Earth/Scarlett-Vivien-Leigh-and-Big-Sam-Everett-Brown-398x300.png (http://s843.photobucket.com/user/Dog_of_the_Earth/media/Scarlett-Vivien-Leigh-and-Big-Sam-Everett-Brown-398x300.png.html)

Tom Joad
08-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Many conservatives still don't get with the current program of blaming their country for all the world's ills. American Idiot and all that.

I read some of it, and I also read their resolution. The standards seem pretty boilerplate, but the resolution's not unreasonable, particularly about the sample test made public.

That said schools race to the lowest common denominator is rooted in our society and is not necessarily the educators' fault.

Pete

That's a really cool avatar Pete.

I hate it when one of my enemies has a cool avatar. :mad:

piece-itpete
08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
:D "What we have here... is a failure to communicate' lol

Thanks

Pete

donquixote99
08-20-2014, 12:59 PM

Pete

So the College Board Framework is fairly described as 'blaming their country for all the world's ills. American Idiot and all that?'

Or is this whole thing just GOP partisan pandering to the silly narrative you allude to?

Facts have a liberal bias, it seems.

BlueStreak
08-20-2014, 01:18 PM
To reiterate;

No, they want US history to reflect THEIR political bias. Which is to say they want to fill it up with fairytales about saintly Founders who unanimously agreed on every issue, blacks that were thrilled to be slaves, Indians that didn't really like living in Georgia anyways and coal miners that were damn proud to work in a dangerous hole in the ground for shitty pay in the form of company script and a cot in the company barracks.

The GOP can stick it's version of American history and its brainwashed content up their fat butts.

Dave

Dave

Tom Joad
08-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Dave

Plus One.

nailer
08-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Pretty sure WWII was not part of the period in our history known as The Gilded Age.

The history I learned from grade through high school contained a lot of myth.

bobabode
08-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Pretty sure WWII was not part of the period in our history known as The Gilded Age.

You didn't read far enough or is the LATimes article unviewable?

BlueStreak
08-20-2014, 02:21 PM

It'll be silly fairytales on steroids when these people get a free hand. You can bet on that. They only want to hear what makes them happy and strokes their uber-patriotism, reality be damned.

You didn't follow the Texas School Board shenanigans a few years back?

Dave

nailer
08-20-2014, 04:09 PM
You didn't read far enough or is the LATimes article unviewable?

Reread your OP, that's all I needed. I found your opening statement and the following example of WWII (I assumed it was from the article) amusing. I couldn't resist taking the shot. Please forgive my boorish attempt at humor. :cool:

nailer
08-20-2014, 04:11 PM
It'll be silly fairytales on steroids when these people get a free hand. You can bet on that. They only want to hear what makes them happy and strokes their uber-patriotism, reality be damned.

You didn't follow the Texas School Board shenanigans a few years back?

Dave

No, but then again Texans are always up to shenanigans.

sanford12
01-25-2015, 02:07 PM
There's a really good book called Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong. Funny, enlightening and scary. I knew we weren't getting the straight scoop. You know if you go back and look at the Republican party at the turn of the last century they were what a Democrat is now and vice verse. How in the heck did that flip flop take place.

bobabode
01-25-2015, 04:36 PM
derp...

Tom Joad
01-25-2015, 04:42 PM
You know if you go back and look at the Republican party at the turn of the last century they were what a Democrat is now and vice verse. How in the heck did that flip flop take place.

The "southern strategy" had a lot to do with it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/18/gops_southern_domination_why_nixon_is_modern_conse rvatisms_true_creator/