PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks This Fall In Az!

westgate
01-25-2010, 06:51 PM
mcain vs j.d. hayworth. c. matthews just announced it.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2009/11/john_mccain_and_jd_hayworth_in.php

the right vs the far-right, as it's been described.
this battle will be entertaining to the max, to say the least.

Boreas
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
macaine vs j.d. hayworth. c. matthews just announced it.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bastard/2009/11/john_mccain_and_jd_hayworth_in.php

the right vs the far-right, as it's been described.
this battle will be entertaining to the max, to say the least.

We're going to see this a lot in Republican races this fall, challenges to incumbents from the far right wing Tea Party crowd. As you say, it'll be very interesting to say the least.

My take on it is if it's moderately successful it'll move the Republicans out to the very edge of sanity. If it's wildly successful it'll destroy the party. We'll see a lot more Spectors.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Even though McCain was their party's candidate and Palin's patron, McCain remains an apostate to the knuckle-draggers. You can be sure Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck and their ilk will get on board with Hayworth. I guess this is the downside of the establishment Republicans sucking up to the wingnuts. The inmates now want to run the asylum.

In the face of this self-destructive movement on the part of their opponents, wouldn't it be novel if the Dems decided to get their shit together?

Boreas
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
In the face of this self-destructive movement on the part of their opponents, wouldn't it be novel if the Dems decided to get their shit together?

Yeah, maybe if they... if they...

And then they could... they could... um.....

..... Naaaah!

John

westgate
01-25-2010, 08:01 PM
My take on it is if it's moderately successful it'll move the Republicans out to the very edge of sanity. If it's wildly successful it'll destroy the party. we'll see a lot more Spectors.

John
hayworth'll get'em there.:D

finnbow
01-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeah, maybe if they... if they...

And then they could... they could... um.....

..... Naaaah!

John

What's the matter, John. Cat got your tongue? Here let me help you.

"... but then they wouldn't be Democrats." :D

Boreas
01-25-2010, 08:34 PM
What's the matter, John. Cat got your tongue? Here let me help you.

"... but then they wouldn't be Democrats." :D

Man, those guys don't have a feck between 'em. ;)

John

Sandy G
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
What I wanna know is, how in the Hell did the Dems manage to lose Teddy Kennedy's seat ? Was Coakley THAT incompetent, or were people really wanting a change ? Was she selected thru a primary process, or was she just annointed by the Grand High Poo-Bahs (AKA: Party hacks) ?

Boreas
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
What I wanna know is, how in the Hell did the Dems manage to lose Teddy Kennedy's seat ? Was Coakley THAT incompetent, or were people really wanting a change ? Was she selected thru a primary process, or was she just annointed by the Grand High Poo-Bahs (AKA: Party hacks) ?

Coakley was that incompetent. Who the hell goes on vacation a couple of weeks from an election. Also the Democrats couldn't conceive of losing Teddy's seat to any Republican, much less one as unknown as Brown.

Teddy's seat was John's seat. Teddy ran for the seat and won when JFK was elected president. Think about it! A Kennedy held that seat from 1953 until now. They really screwed the pooch on this one.

Of course, this really was a referendum on Obama and the Congressional Democrats. The health care mess had pissed off their opponents and discouraged their base. Republicans turned out and Democrats didn't.

In the 2008 election 40% of young voters under 25 turned out and voted for Obama in overwhelming numbers. In the Mass. Special Election only 15% showed up at the polls.

John

finnbow
01-25-2010, 09:25 PM

I think the coup de grace was when she called Curt Schilling a Yankees fan. :confused: A woman of the people, indeed.

westgate
01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I think the coup de grace was when she called Curt Schilling a Yankees fan. :confused: A woman of the people, indeed.

and, iirc, she didn't want to 'press the flesh' at fenway cuz it 'was too cold'.

finnbow
01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
and, iirc, she didn't want to 'press the flesh' at fenway cuz it 'was too cold'.

Yep. "Just coronate me and I'll be on my way," seemed to be her early campaign message.:rolleyes:

BlueStreak
01-25-2010, 11:42 PM
With each swing, the pendulum travels further. Obama is further to the left than Clinton.
I believe the next set of Republican hopefulls will be even further to the right than Bush, Daddy Bush and even Reagan. Eventually I see one of the two major parties splintering, and effectively, new party will be formed. I would like to see a new party formed by "Blue Dog" Democrats and Moderate Republicans, that would be ideal for the country, IMO.

However, I fear this will not be the case.

I predict that the far-right becomes impatient with the "Old Guard" and more moderate Republicans and splinters off into a third party of extremists. Hopefully, this will wake the American people up to what these folks really are all about. Before the atrocities begin...........

Oh, and as a sidenote; The article "westgate" posted stated that a prominent Neo-Nazi spoke at the same rally as J.D Hayworth and had accolades for the Republican candidate..............But that doesn't make any sense, because Glenn Beck said..............

Dave

Fast_Eddie
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I would like to see a new party formed by "Blue Dog" Democrats and Moderate Republicans, that would be ideal for the country, IMO.

I doubt that's what we'd get, at least at first. These movements tend to come from the ends rather than the middle. But if the far right left the Republican party, some of those "blue dog" types might become Republicans. I'm assuming the far right folks would take the anti-gay, anti-abortion group with them. That would open the door of the Republican party for a lot of folks. It would be a bit hit in the short run, but might work out well in the long.

finnbow
01-26-2010, 09:40 AM
I doubt that's what we'd get, at least at first. These movements tend to come from the ends rather than the middle. But if the far right left the Republican party, some of those "blue dog" types might become Republicans. I'm assuming the far right folks would take the anti-gay, anti-abortion group with them. That would open the door of the Republican party for a lot of folks. It would be a bit hit in the short run, but might work out well in the long.

If the tea-baggin', anti-gay, anti-abortion crowd left the GOP, it would shrink a lot in the short run, but it would become a party I might be willing to give a second look at. As it currently stands with the knuckle-draggers in control, I can't look at the party with anything other than bemusement (or fear).

merrylander
01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Whichever way things go there will be crow in November, whether they will be doing it or eating it remains to be seen as the monkey said when he pooped behind the piano.

BlueStreak
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
If the tea-baggin', anti-gay, anti-abortion crowd left the GOP, it would shrink a lot in the short run, but it would become a party I might be willing to give a second look at. As it currently stands with the knuckle-draggers in control, I can't look at the party with anything other than bemusement (or fear).

Exactly. The unreasoning far right is what drove me away from that party to begin with. If the GOP had the will to purge themselves of the religious zealots, and the "Angry Bigot" element, they could possibly draw me back in. Problem is that pandering to that segment of their base is a big part of what helped propel them to power in the eighties and nineties. And what has changed?

What I need from Republicans is a party that appeals to intellect, not just rediculous quazi-religious dogma and xenophobic intransigence. A party that is dedicated to helping find a way to serious, responsible healthcare reform and not just full of shrill, stubborn obstructionism.

Appeal to my mind, not my fear.

Until then, I continue to vote Democratic, for a lack of any other choice.

Dave

Boreas
01-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Right now the Republicans pay considerable lip service to the right wing fringe but that's largely a matter of political expediency. They've taken a lesson from what happens when one of their own dare question the wisdom of Limbaugh or suggest that the Tea Parties are perhaps a little intemperate. My concern is that siphoning off the more moderate elements of the party into a new center right party (perhaps in company with the Blue Dogs) would result in a rightward shift in the political discourse in this country which didn't accurately reflect the country as a whole.

As it is now there is a sizable portion of the citizenry which is to the right of the Republicans. There is also a large segment to the left of the Democrats. If the Tea Party movement succeeds in dominating the Republicans and a Center-Right party comprised of moderate Republicans and conservative Democrats emerges it would be necessary for the true Left in this country to become a force within the Democratic Party. Only that would bring things into balance and accurately reflect the range of ideology in the country.

I don't see that happening. The Left here is too disorganized. We haven't had a catalyzing event, like a darkie in the White House, to bring us together.

John

Boreas
01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
If the GOP had the will to purge themselves of the religious zealots, and the "Angry Bigot" element, they could possibly draw me back in.

Nah, Dave, you're too far gone now. You're part of the Liberal Borg. No hope for you now. :)

John

noonereal
01-26-2010, 11:58 AM
If the banks/wall street guys stay in the new republican party after the split I won't be joining.

BlueStreak
01-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Nah, Dave, you're too far gone now. You're part of the Liberal Borg. No hope for you now. :)

John

I think you may be correct. Think I'll just curl up on the couch with a "book of Marx" and retreat into my dark world of welfare checks and self loathing..........................:rolleyes:

Dave

noonereal
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I think you may be correct. Think I'll just curl up on the couch with a "book of Marx" and retreat into my dark world of welfare checks and self loathing..........................:rolleyes:

Dave

Good idea. At $400 a month you are better off with welfare than working.:D
(I believe that is what NY pays)

piece-itpete
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Dave

Jammin' on Government Cheese.

:D

Pete

finnbow
01-26-2010, 02:22 PM
As it is now there is a sizable portion of the citizenry which is to the right of the Republicans. There is also a large segment to the left of the Democrats.

Yes and no. In many ways, it's the far left and far right that have become each party's "base." The movers and shakers in both parties are far to the left and right, respectively, of the electorate at large.

rickr15
01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Everyone in AZ has known Hayworth was going to run for a while now. He has been illegally campaigning on his daily talk show for monthe until the station was forced to pull him off the air or give equal time to his prospective opponents.

If any of you have ever heard him speak he's pretty far out there. Being as I live here in nut job central I'm used to the politics being pretty nasty (where else have they impeached 2 governors?) but it looks like its really going to ratchet up this year. The hotbuttons seem to be illegal immigrants and govt bailouts and of course Hayworth is painting Mcain as a card carrying leftist Democrat.

westgate
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Everyone in AZ has known Hayworth was going to run for a while now. He has been illegally campaigning on his daily talk show for monthe until the station was forced to pull him off the air or give equal time to his prospective opponents.

If any of you have ever heard him speak he's pretty far out there. Being as I live here in nut job central I'm used to the politics being pretty nasty (where else have they impeached 2 governors?) but it looks like its really going to ratchet up this year. The hotbuttons seem to be illegal immigrants and govt bailouts and of course Hayworth is painting Mcain as a card carrying leftist Democrat.

he used to make 'phone' appearances on the 'imus' show when it was on msnbc (don't know the 'bout current imus show) and he came across as being to the far right then.

djv8ga
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
McCain is done. His "Maverick" crap has run it's course.

westgate
01-26-2010, 07:15 PM
McCain is done. His "Maverick" crap has run it's course.

i dunno. i just heard 'sarah' is now backing him. which might be good for more mileage for mc.

Boreas
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
i dunno. i just heard 'sarah' is now backing him. which might be good for more mileage for mc.

The Tea Partiers aren't happy about that. They don't like having their darling supporting a "RINO" like McCain.

John

westgate
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
The Tea Partiers aren't happy about that. They don't like having their darling supporting a "RINO" like McCain.

John
true dat. all i know is it's gonna make for some great and entertaining (to me) political fireworks. i'm looking forward the upcoming circus that is gonna be 'republican vs republican' as much as i ever looked forward to any rock concert, etc.

'course, at the end of the day, the question is is any of this gonna benefit the country? (rhet/or not)

finnbow
01-26-2010, 07:51 PM

I foresee a spate of cognitive dissonance among the teabaggers. How can the Teabagging Queen support a RINO apostate? Maybe their heads will explode like the Fembots on Austin Powers.:D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_l8xeX8k9lgo/SJh0_Usx8pI/AAAAAAAAE9w/Cwn3tDQwjaE/s400/conservative+fembot+coulter.png

westgate
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
annie, my honey! my babe!
why, even bernard mcguirk on imus, said, about 3 yrs ago, that 'she's hosable'.
i suppose if you could keep her mouth shut (that's a loaded statment), she might be ok:D;
the things i was gonna/could say! but this is a family oriented forum. hah! so i won't.

Boreas
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
annie, my honey! my babe!
why, even bernard mcguirk on imus, said, about 3 yrs ago, that 'she's hosable'.

Bill Maher apparently thought so too...... and did something about it.

i suppose if you could keep her mouth shut, she might be ok:D;
the things i was gonna/could say! but this is a family oriented forum. hah! so i won't.

I couldn't. Just couldn't.

John

westgate
01-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Bill Maher apparently thought so too...... and did something about it.

I couldn't. Just couldn't.

John

mr. mahr. love the guy! 'specially when he pisses off the loofa king, bill 'orally'! :eek::D.

rickr15
01-27-2010, 07:01 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/01/27/20100127hayworth0127.html#reply19253064

Headline news in the local rag today. Some of the bloggers comments will give you an idea how the sentiments run right now.