PDA

View Full Version : Snake in the grass.

piece-itpete
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Man. And a dumb one to boot.

So I've been looking for an inexpensive car lately.

So I spot a nice old car on the unnamed auction site with an hour left. Looks like a good deal.

Email him, ask if he can wait till friday, then poke around the listing again.

Because I won't send a deposit without seeing the car I don't worry too much about feedback, particularly when there's a lot of good pics.

But I look at his little bit of fb. Nothing as a seller, but 3 as a buyer. And lo and behold there's the car! He just bought it last month!

And he's selling it as a 57,000 mile car. Bet you guessed: It's got 157k.

So I sent him a quick note: DOn't bother answering my last message, I see the car's got 157k. I'll let the buyer know.

Let's see what he says :)

Pete

piece-itpete
01-26-2010, 01:24 PM
"it does only have 57000, that was my younger brother i bought it from he wasn't sure so thats what he put, but have a good day"

Da-da!!

Pete

Boreas
01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
"it does only have 57000, that was my younger brother i bought it from he wasn't sure so thats what he put, but have a good day"

Da-da!!

Pete

Too many thieves on that unnamed auction site. I don't buy there any more. I never got burned (because I was successful in arbitration) but too many people have.

By the way, the guy that tried to burn me accumulated such terrible feedback that he got shut down. (He had good feedback when I dealt with him but it went seriously downhill afterwards.)

Anyway, after he got shut down he just opened up a new account and got back to his old tricks.:rolleyes:

John

Grumpy
01-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I bought one car from that auction site. Will not make that mistake again !

piece-itpete
01-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Heck, I still buy there, but it sure can be a crapshoot!

What's really funny are the Craigslist ads :)

IVE GOT A 87 DONK IT HAS NEW BREAKS AN A NEW FRONT BREEERING KILLER SUBS IT WONT START THNIK ITS FUEL SWICH 4900 CALL ME

Or: 1984 Oldmobile, $xxxx, call XXX

Or: Wow! What a GREAT classic car! A 1988 Skylark, beautiful condition, very clean. Exterior fine, only rust is front fenders rear quarters hood and trunk, and dented rear bumper. Interior wonderful, except for 8 small tears , a few stains, and a missing door panel on the back. Engine runs great, but it's got a miss, I think it needs spark plug wires. Tranny smooth unless it shifts into 2nd, probably needs fluid. Good miles. $6900 obo.

:D

Pete

piece-itpete
01-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Btw, I can't even tell the buyer.

Pete

Fast_Eddie
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I like the CL ads for cars with "Manuel" transmissions. Do a search, you'll find a billion of them.

Boreas
01-26-2010, 09:43 PM
I like the CL ads for cars with "Manuel" transmissions. Do a search, you'll find a billion of them.

How about "manual steering"?

Well........ Yeah.....

John

Fast_Eddie
01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Nah, Manuel can handle the steering and the transmission.

merrylander
01-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but is he here legally.:D

piece-itpete
02-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Hi guys. Can only stop in a moment, but this one is GOOD:

1988 Lincoln Town Car. 5.0 FI with good AOD trans. NEW: Rotors, calipers, pads, and rear shoes, all done in the last 10,000 miles. Also has new alternator and battery. Runs and drives but needs a new gas tank. Tank has a leak at the bottom and probably could be patched but I'm not the guy to do it. Car has 150,000 miles on it and the trans was rebuilt about 50K ago. Tires are decent, and the rims are 16" alloy wheels off a later model Grand Marquis. Included are the original 15" wheels with crappy tires on them and no wheel covers. Exhaust is quiet. A/C does not work. Radio does not work. Dark blue leather seats with typical wear but no rips. Outside is a champagne color with a dirt colored vinyl top.
Car has some light rust around the lower edges but a good solid frame. It spent most of it's winters in Florida.
Good driver if you wanted to fix the gas tank, or good parts car if you are looking for a 5.0 roller cam engine. Might even make a good derby car if you are into that. It's not a rat rod, hot rod or anything like that, It doesn't even have a big spoiler on the trunk lid, but it could be all that if you wanted to make it so. Some flat black paint and red wheels is all it would take. If I had to assign a catchy name to it, I'd have to call it a Shitrod.
No pics, this is a 1988 Lincoln Town Car. If you don't know what one of those look like, imagine a large chest type freezer with two 55 gallon fish tanks on top of it, and some wheels on the bottom. "Box on Box" styling I think it was called. If you are looking for cutting edge aerodynamics, this is not the car for you. This old pig cuts through the wind like a haywagon and takes corners like the Titanic. In spite of that, it still gets around 20 mpg on the highway when it's not puking gas all over the place. Not a great car to have if you have a 50 mile commute to work each day, but absolutely great if you need a ride downstate to get your mom out of prison.
Cash only, no trades. I'll keep this ad up for a week or so, then she's falling under the hotwrench and heading to the crusher. If this sounds like the car of your dreams, don't dawdle with you reply because I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of interest in this gem and I'd hate for you to miss out on this opportunity to enjoy some REAL American Made Luxury ad a very affordable price. So hurry on down and let me know what I have to do to make this car yours TODAY!

:)

Pete

rickr15
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm on it.

piece-itpete
02-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Have to pick up the mom? :D

Pete

merrylander
02-01-2010, 11:23 AM
There was a Town Car in the neighbourhood, guess the kids bought the vanity plates "DAD'S PIG". They loaned me one when my Probe was in for work, the kids were right.

Sandy G
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
"Oh, I was Drunk the day my mom got out of Prison...An' I went to pick hr up in the rain..
But before I could git to th' station in my Pick Up Truck, She got runned over by a damned ol' Train..." -David Alan Coe

d-ray657
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
"Oh, I was Drunk the day my mom got out of Prison...An' I went to pick hr up in the rain..
But before I could git to th' station in my Pick Up Truck, She got runned over by a damned ol' Train..." -David Alan Coe

You don't have to call me Darlin', Darlin'
You never even call me by my name.

Regards,

D-Ray

rickr15
02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Have to pick up the mom? :D

Pete

Right after I flat black it and mount the wing.

piece-itpete
02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Right after I flat black it and mount the wing.

Don't forget the 36" spinners and 34 switch hydraulics! :eek:

Pete

rickr15
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Don't forget the 36" spinners and 34 switch hydraulics! :eek:

Pete

Doood! I got to budget for the JB weld.

Can't leave that gas drippin forever.