PDA

View Full Version : Posters

Pukka Sahib
09-09-2014, 09:32 AM
This discussion forum has a good membership base; and, yet, very few members post here. I wonder why? Is the forum too saccharine? Are there no opposing views? Are the members late for Homeroom Class in High School?

JJIII
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
In my opinion we lost quite a few regular posters when things started to get personal and nasty. In the beginning we had spirited discussions and opposing viewpoints but remained friendly. Later, some more people joined and trollish behavior started to infect the forum. Good people got tired of it and wanted no part of it. A few still check back from time to time but I fear they see a lot of the same thing and leave again.

I wish we could get back to civil discussions again.

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 10:05 AM
No you don't.

http://i.imgur.com/eb5owLN.gif

http://i.imgur.com/iDtSyfL.gif

:D

Pete

icenine
09-09-2014, 10:15 AM
There are many lurkers here, some just like to watch from the sidelines.

barbara
09-09-2014, 11:04 AM
In my opinion we lost quite a few regular posters when things started to get personal and nasty. In the beginning we had spirited discussions and opposing viewpoints but remained friendly. Later, some more people joined and trollish behavior started to infect the forum. Good people got tired of it and wanted no part of it. A few still check back from time to time but I fear they see a lot of the same thing and leave again.

I agree.

Rajoo
09-09-2014, 11:17 AM
It's hard work to refute a message but the messenger can be shot from the hip in an instant.

donquixote99
09-09-2014, 11:30 AM
It's hard work to refute a message but the messenger can be shot from the hip in an instant.

That's just the sort of thing we've come to expect from you!

(Insightful and appropos, that is....) :)

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
https://imgflip.com/i/byenu

;)

Pete

ebacon
09-09-2014, 01:42 PM
I was hoping this thread announced a free PC wall poster to match my complimentary PC thong.

icenine
09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion. Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
It was nicer not long ago regardless.

Pete

Rajoo
09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion. Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

Probably what this discussion is about.

JJIII
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
To be quite frank you cannot discuss politics without being personal since it is a very personal issue, as is religion.

True, but we can treat each other with respect, even if it means swallowing hard at times.

Sometimes things get a bit testy, but if you are here all the time and upset about it you might as well leave. I find it sort of funny that people decrying personal attacks here at PC have also been here viewing it everyday.

Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.:)

icenine
09-09-2014, 02:06 PM
I think the real issue with PC is moral ambiguity inherent on the net. My personal world order instilled by the US military in conjunction with liberal arts degree (with the emphasis on LIBERAL arts tought by guys who gained their tenure in the 1960s) has boundaries that when I see questioned make me want to go nuclear.

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 02:12 PM
https://imgflip.com/i/byhf7

;)

Pete

donquixote99
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Too good to be hidden behind a link, Pete!

https://i.imgflip.com/byhcv.jpg

bobabode
09-09-2014, 02:21 PM

Nuthin' wrong with civility. :)

icenine
09-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Pete is pretty debonair in a suave, urbane sort of way, something not indicative by the content of his posts.
;)

Rajoo
09-09-2014, 02:26 PM

There is a reason, he does not want to start a beer war. :)

http://treasure.diylol.com/uploads/post/image/458563/resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-wanted-for-theft-of-corona-beer-truck-8cbc21.jpg

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 02:44 PM
LOL! Coronas for all.

I'm very urbane :o

And "enlightened, intelligent, sophisticated, charming, non-narcissistic, debonair, suave, dashing..."

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/a2/70/d3a270aa2b963092bcf669966c208b13.jpg

And very very befittingly modest as is fitting of someone as amazingly awesome as I am. Of course.

Pete

Rajoo
09-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Missed ambiguous but I see you have the power to be whatever you want to be on this forum. ;)

piece-itpete
09-09-2014, 03:15 PM
"All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything."

We're all special here at PC.

Pete

bobabode
09-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Pete's ambiguously ambidextrous. :rolleyes:

bobabode
09-09-2014, 03:18 PM
"All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything."

We're all special here at PC.

Pete

Sweater vester. :D

ebacon
09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Sweater vester. :D

I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :D

Back on topic, I have not been posting much because I do not have much to write about. I babbled about politics on three boards since about 2006 and sounded like a broken record on every one.

I still read this board because you all are on the hot topics and better than Twitter IMO (gag). In other words I am still a student. If it is any consolation, at least know that someone that is not posting is at least reading. :)

d-ray657
09-09-2014, 10:15 PM
I have been posting less because I have been working more. That said, when my time is limited, I hesitate to spend time watching a playground shoving match -particularly when both the Royals and the Cardinals are in pennant races.

Regards,

D-Ray

HarmanKardon
09-10-2014, 03:22 AM
I started in July 2013. I don't know how bad it was then, because I was new. Things became extremely worse earlier this year but since some arsonists left the show it became much better again. Thanks go to D-Ray and Pete...

Dondilion
09-10-2014, 09:27 AM
I post moderately. I am more interested in international politics, and I am
extremely cynical about national politics.

I try to avoid derogatory name calling and pissing contests.

Still you have to know your posters.

Don Quixote - takes you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspires to intellectualism.

Bob - extremely partisan.

Finnbow - very knowledgeable; does not easily concede.

Ike - knowledgeable; explosive vocab especially re Israel.

Pete - beware of his one liner.

Tom Joad - similar disposition as Ike; his thing is race.

donquixote99
09-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Cool! I'm at the top of the list!

Do you have any pets, Don?

Zeke
09-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Don Quixote - take you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspire to intellectualism.

Damn.

That was pretty impressive.

Well done, sir.

Dondilion
09-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Cool! I'm at the top of the list!

Do you have any pets, Don?

Yes. (Answer to a side question. Be careful you do not know where this is leading.)

donquixote99
09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Yes. (Answer to a side question. Be careful you do not know where this is leading.)

Nowhere--this is just for fun... :)

But thanks for the response. Is it a guard dog?

BlueStreak
09-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Yes, I remember when everything was cordial and utopian too. Coming here was like standing in a ray of sunshine. Kind of like how everything was so much better way back when......................

:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak
09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't care who you are, that right there is funny. :D

Back on topic, I have not been posting much because I do not have much to write about. I babbled about politics on three boards since about 2006 and sounded like a broken record on every one.

I still read this board because you all are on the hot topics and better than Twitter IMO (gag). In other words I am still a student. If it is any consolation, at least know that someone that is not posting is at least reading. :)

There is that too. The futility of banging ones head against the wall grows old.

Dave

djv8ga
09-10-2014, 12:09 PM
Yes, I remember when everything was cordial and utopian too. Coming here was like standing in a ray of sunshine. Kind of like how everything was so much better way back when......................

:rolleyes:

Dave
+ 1. :rolleyes:

bobabode
09-10-2014, 01:22 PM
That's hyper partisan if you please Dondi ;). Why anyone would vote republican't these days is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Ike Bana
09-10-2014, 07:06 PM

Don Quixote - take you into side issues with constant oblique questions.

Zeke - aspire to intellectualism.

You should hear the blonde's vocab. Makes Deb Morgan sound downright genteel.

mpholland
09-10-2014, 08:54 PM
I have chosen not to post much recently because I have been easily irritated and quick to anger since my son was killed. If and when (at some point in the near future I hope) I feel a bit more rational, I will probably join back in some heated fun. Until then, I will probably just be content with the occasional drive-by.

Marc

Dondilion
09-10-2014, 09:54 PM
I have chosen not to post much recently because I have been easily irritated and quick to anger since my son was killed.

Marc

It is really hard to imagine being in your space.

I hope you find ways to grapple with the pain.

MikeG22
09-10-2014, 09:57 PM
I have been posting less because I have been working more. That said, when my time is limited, I hesitate to spend time watching a playground shoving match -particularly when both the Royals and the Cardinals are in pennant races.

Regards,

D-Ray
+1 I've been working too much and then dealing with crap around the house. Spackling, painting, pulling carpets, finishing floors, hanging lights, trim work, bleh bleh. Not even any time to listen to my stereo, its just wrong I tell ya.

bobabode
09-11-2014, 10:12 AM
+1 I've been working too much and then dealing with crap around the house. Spackling, painting, pulling carpets, finishing floors, hanging lights, trim work, bleh bleh. Not even any time to listen to my stereo, its just wrong I tell ya.

There's your problem bro, I prescribe more cowbell Mike. ;)

Pio1980
09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
I've been mostly out lately due to lack of interest in many topics or the arc they've taken, plus the predictability of deliberately provocative posts and topics. I'm weary of the Jerry Springer crap, it's endurable for only so long.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

piece-itpete
09-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Many thanks to Pukka for a good thread ;)

Pete

JJIII
09-11-2014, 11:29 AM
I've been mostly out lately due to lack of interest in many topics or the arc they've taken, plus the predictability of deliberately provocative posts and topics. I'm weary of the Jerry Springer crap, it's endurable for only so long.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Perzackly!

JJIII
09-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Many thanks to Pukka for a good thread ;)

Pete

I would be interested in Pukka's thoughts on what has been posted so far.

merrylander
09-11-2014, 11:42 AM
I decided to look in only because my damn muse has gone on vacation. The reason I left? Quite simple, I was damn good at computer programming because they tell me I have a logical mind and also quick to see different approaches to things.

Well I did see a lot of emotion here but little logic. Nor did I see much attention paid to history.

Kind of an example of that in today's WaPo in a letter to the editor regarding those two women whose nude photos were hacked and posted on the internet.. Guy writes in saying everyone should be allowed to take nude pictures of themselves but it is stupid for them to post them on the 'net. Excuse me stupido it was a hacker who posted them.

I guess one thing that also made me lose interest in PC - quite simply I have lived too long and seen too damn much, it tends to make one appreciate our kitties (even if they behave like teenagers) and lose patience with people.

So just hope my muse comes back from vacation or I might just start posting again.

Marc I watched my mother bury my oldest brother - my heart goes out to you and your wife, that pain takes too damn long to heal. May God give you both strength and comfort.

bobabode
09-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Hiya Rob.

piece-itpete
09-11-2014, 11:51 AM
Look what the cat (Tigger) dragged in :)

Pete

JJIII
09-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi Rob!

donquixote99
09-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, Rob's back! C'mon, get him a chair now! Round's on me!

icenine
09-11-2014, 01:18 PM
It is not really the arguing and the brawlers...it is the subject matter which is making everyone so uncomfortable.

donquixote99
09-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Yep. More people than you'd expect.