PDA

View Full Version : A History of the Republicans

bobabode
09-19-2014, 08:46 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-gop-stopped-caring-about-you-how-therepublicans-became-selfish/2014/09/17/7fe87a70-3dc5-11e4-9587-5dafd96295f0_story.html?hpid=z3

Interesting take on the history of the GOP.

finnbow
09-19-2014, 08:55 PM
While I mostly agree with his synopsis, I'm afraid the Democrats are unable to communicate a viable alternative to the gospel of greed espoused by today's GOP, much less enact it.

bobabode
09-19-2014, 09:13 PM
If the author's history is valid (which I fear it is) it will take a crash and the associated misery that entails for the populace to clamor for change. (Pitchforks and torches anyone?)

Destitution always seems to be lot of the working class no matter how hard they play the game and follow the rules.:(

Dondilion
09-19-2014, 09:55 PM
While I mostly agree with his synopsis, I'm afraid the Democrats are unable to communicate a viable alternative to the gospel of greed espoused by today's GOP, much less enact it.

Correct: Democrats are timid to address, with some fair amount of frankness, crucial issues.

BlueStreak
09-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Looks about right to me.

And, if you gleaned nothing else from this article, you should have picked up this;

There is nothing new about any of this. There has ALWAYS been class warfare and there will ALWAYS be class warfare. It's an ingrained and unfortunate part of human nature. You struggle to over come it or it overcomes you. It's only when the lower economic strata gets conned into believing it doesn't exist and begins to support policies that transfer wealth towards the top, that they start to lose.

Personally, I couldn't care less which party finally gets a clue and starts working towards more mutually beneficial wealth distribution. I don't see it happening on the left and the other idiots are determined to further concentrate, fighting any redistributive efforts feverishly.

Dave

nailer
09-20-2014, 04:42 AM
The opinion article reads like a ray of hope for the Republican Party's survival. Lincoln, Roosevelt, Eisenhower, and ...

It's also a well placed ad for her book.

merrylander
09-20-2014, 06:02 AM
What was it that Oscar Wilde wrote; "America the only nation the went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between"

Dondilion
09-20-2014, 10:41 AM
What was it that Oscar Wilde wrote; "America the only nation the went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between"

British snobbery...no wonder so many people fled that stifling civilization.

BlueStreak
09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
British snobbery...no wonder so many people fled that stifling civilization.

"British snobbery"? Or is it biting, embarrassing truth?

Dave

BlueStreak
09-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Sometimes I think they fail to articulate it because they assume they don't have to, as if everyone already understands and sides with them on core issues.........So what's to explain? :rolleyes:

They fail to enact for two reasons;

(1) They have become spineless and aloof.

(2) Lack of public support. Because they have become spineless, aloof and fail to articulate a coherent message, many of our fellow citizens laugh at rather than listen to them anyways.

You can't just assume everybody gets it and fail to communicate effectively as your opponent works tirelessly on the public 7/24/365 on t.v., radio, printed media and the internet.

Couple this with the dry, professorial demeanor of our president when he does address the nation, a nation that longs to have its raging jones for he-man patriotism and other trite fluff satisfied, and you have the makings for poor popularity.

With baleful chagrin,
Dave

Tom Joad
09-20-2014, 04:56 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-gop-stopped-caring-about-you-how-therepublicans-became-selfish/2014/09/17/7fe87a70-3dc5-11e4-9587-5dafd96295f0_story.html?hpid=z3

In 1862 , in the midst of the Civil War, Republican Justin Smith Morrill stood in Congress to defend his party’s invention: an income tax . The government had the right to demand 99 percent of a man’s property, the Vermont representative thundered. If the nation needs it, “the property of the people . . . belongs to the government .” The Republican Congress passed the income tax — as well as a spate of other taxes — and went on to create a strong national government. By the time the war ended, the GOP had invented national banking , currency and taxation ; had provided schools and homes for poor Americans; and had freed the country’s 4 million slaves.

A half-century later, when corporations dominated the economy and their owners threw their weight into political contests, Theodore Roosevelt fulminated against that “small class of enormously wealthy and economically powerful men, whose chief object is to hold and increase their power.” Insisting that America must return to “an economic system under which each man shall be guaranteed the opportunity to show the best that there is in him,” the Republican president called for government to regulate business, prohibit corporate funding of political campaigns, and impose income and inheritance taxes.

In the mid-20th century, Republican President Dwight Eisenhower recoiled from using American resources to build weapons alone, warning, “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.” He called for government funding for schools, power plants, roads and hospitals.

Howabout it wingnuts?

What the Hell happened?

merrylander
09-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Sometimes I think they fail to articulate it because they assume they don't have to, as if everyone already understands and sides with them on core issues.........So what's to explain? :rolleyes:

They fail to enact for two reasons;

(1) They have become spineless and aloof.

(2) Lack of public support. Because they have become spineless, aloof and fail to articulate a coherent message, many of our fellow citizens laugh at rather than listen to them anyways.

You can't just assume everybody gets it and fail to communicate effectively as your opponent works tirelessly on the public 7/24/365 on t.v., radio, printed media and the internet.

Couple this with the dry, professorial demeanor of our president when he does address the nation, a nation that longs to have its raging jones for he-man patriotism and other trite fluff satisfied, and you have the makings for poor popularity.

With baleful chagrin,
Dave

You have just hit it, Obama is intelligent, sensible but where is the passion, if his blood is boiling where is the steam.

donquixote99
09-21-2014, 08:06 AM
Hmmm, maybe it would work for the president to hire an expressive actor type to double for him on TV?

nailer
09-21-2014, 09:40 AM
It's best to find an actor to actually hold the office.

Look how well Bonzo for President worked for the Republicans.

donquixote99
09-21-2014, 10:40 AM
Well, I was trying to be concerned not just with party success, but with good policy.....

nailer
09-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Good luck with that.

merrylander
09-21-2014, 11:28 AM

Unfortunately it was an unmitigated disaster for the country.

Pio1980
09-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Just for giggles, websearch for fact checking Ronald Reagan.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

bobabode
09-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Hmmm, maybe it would work for the president to hire an expressive actor type to double for him on TV?

Ala 'Key and Peele' from Comedy Central? :)

BlueStreak
09-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Reagan is dead. Otherwise, perhaps we could do him up in brown-face and have him bullshit the people into misguided adoration once again?:p

Dave