PDA

View Full Version : Now who's "playing the victim"?

BlueStreak
10-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Remember when Conservatives would accuse people of "playing the victim"? Accuse people of being crybabies that need the government to protect them?

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politics/imaginary-war-on-christians-reaches-bs-mountain-video/

And now the GOP is supposed to protect them from "attacks" against their religion.

Yeah, you poor things, you have it SO BAD. Boo friggin' Hoo.:rolleyes:

Dave

merrylander
10-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Remember when Conservative would accuse people of "playing the victim"? Accuse people of being crybabies that need the government to protect them?

http://www.ifyouonlynews.com/politics/imaginary-war-on-christians-reaches-bs-mountain-video/

And now the GOP is supposed to protect them from "attacks" against their religion.

Yeah, you poor things, you have it SO BAD. Boo friggin' Hoo.:rolleyes:

Dave

If I was looking for a christian any church would be the last place I would expect to find one.;)

Tom Joad
10-24-2014, 03:52 PM
If I was looking for a christian any church would be the last place I would expect to find one.;)

If I had to say what religion I was I guess "Carlinite" would be pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r-e2NDSTuE

merrylander
10-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Well I don't honestly see what religion has to do with christianity.

donquixote99
10-25-2014, 10:51 AM
I respect a 'christian' who is someone who tries to live according to the teachings and example of Christ. As opposed to someone who has been taught a defined creed, and so believes it.

merrylander
10-25-2014, 02:49 PM
I respect a 'christian' who is someone who tries to live according to the teachings and example of Christ. As opposed to someone who has been taught a defined creed, and so believes it.

Well DQ I went to Sunday School as a boy and they tried to get me doing that sort of thing. But as I got older and having been trained to think for myself I left the church, or maybe it left me, not quite sure who moved. After much thought and research I arrived where I am today.

Can I prove there is an afterlife? No, not really. Can I prove that there is no afterlife? Again not really.

Does life make a lot of sense if there is not? I really can't see the point if there is not. We are born, raised and hopefully try to move the yardsticks in our lifetime, but is that all there is?

As an instructor (teacher really) I have tried to spread what knowledge I have far and wide. For example as a Section Manager in Bell I felt that what they were paying me to do was to develop the people on my staff, to help them reach their maximum potential. My staff did the actual work I just got the best from them, and for them.

BlueStreak
10-26-2014, 12:31 AM
Well DQ I went to Sunday School as a boy and they tried to get me doing that sort of thing. But as I got older and having been trained to think for myself I left the church, or maybe it left me, not quite sure who moved. After much thought and research I arrived where I am today.

Can I prove there is an afterlife? No, not really. Can I prove that there is no afterlife? Again not really.

Does life make a lot of sense if there is not? I really can't see the point if there is not. We are born, raised and hopefully try to move the yardsticks in our lifetime, but is that all there is?

As an instructor (teacher really) I have tried to spread what knowledge I have far and wide. For example as a Section Manager in Bell I felt that what they were paying me to do was to develop the people on my staff, to help them reach their maximum potential. My staff did the actual work I just got the best from them, and for them.

I believe there is an afterlife. I also believe there is a God. Furthermore, I even believe Jesus had a lot of great things to say. However, I do not consider myself Christian, Jew, Muslim, Bhuddist, Hindu or a member of any other man made cult.

Where I diverge with most people is in the notion that "God" watches us individually and guides every thing we do. I do NOT believe there is any sort of "plan" for each and every individual and that all of these "rules" set forth by the various organized religions are little more than a construct of man, design as a control mechanism, to serve the desires and prejudices of men.

I am often incensed at the attempts by people here and around the world, including the United States of America, to try and wed church and state. It fosters unquestioning followership and unreasoning dogmatism. It is extremely dangerous and NO, Christianity is no exception!

Mixing Church and State is bad for both, ultimately bad for everyone.

Dave

merrylander
10-26-2014, 06:35 AM
I believe there is an afterlife. I also believe there is a God. Furthermore, I even believe Jesus had a lot of great things to say. However, I do not consider myself Christian, Jew, Muslim, Bhuddist, Hindu or a member of any other man made cult.

Where I diverge with most people is in the notion that "God" watches us individually and guides every thing we do. I do NOT believe there is any sort of "plan" for each and every individual and that all of these "rules" set forth by the various organized religions are little more than a construct of man, design as a control mechanism, to serve the desires and prejudices of men.

I am often incensed at the attempts by people here and around the world, including the United States of America, to try and wed church and state. It fosters unquestioning followership and unreasoning dogmatism. It is extremely dangerous and NO, Christianity is no exception!

Dave

You won't get an argument from me, except perhaps that my Canadian English merely interpret christian (with the lower case c) as simply a follower of Christ's teachings.

As to God following our every move, that would be a rather monumental task. I prefer to think of God as described in the first book of John chapter 4 verse 8.

I have often wondered why they are called commandments. I mean to say who can enforce them, well except for Thou shalt not murder?

finnbow
10-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Dave

I agree with everything you say, other than what I bolded. Rather than saying that I believe in God or the afterlife, I'm uncertain about these and give them little to no thought while going about my daily life.

donquixote99
10-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I agree with everything you say, other than what I bolded. Rather than saying that I believe in God or the afterlife, I'm uncertain about these and give them little to no thought while going about my daily life.

We must cultivate our gardens.

Or as Dilbert once noted, when pondering whether he should bother to get out of bed, "I'm hungry. A toasted bagel would be great."

finnbow
10-26-2014, 08:21 AM
We must cultivate our gardens.

Or as Dilbert once noted, when pondering whether he should bother to get out of bed, "I'm hungry. A toasted bagel would be great."

I suppose I'm a believer in rationality over faith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_and_rationality).

BlueStreak
10-26-2014, 08:22 AM

I had considered using the word "hope" rather than "believe". I'm sort of on the fence myself, in that regard.

Dave

merrylander
10-26-2014, 09:35 AM
All I "know" is that both Florence and I have had things occur in our lives that defy rational explanation. We have studied these events trying to see where what happened could be rationally explained and have yet to come up with an answer.

nailer
10-26-2014, 11:10 AM
All I "know" is that both Florence and I have had things occur in our lives that defy rational explanation. We have studied these events trying to see where what happened could be rationally explained and have yet to come up with an answer.

Since the dawn of Man we have used Mysticism to explained the unkown. Jesus Christ is part of this most ancient tradition.

Jesus of Nazareth was a rabbi. His key teaching is that we are all in this together and should help each other out.

Man is of this world and upon death we no longer are.

donquixote99
10-26-2014, 11:38 AM
'Be excellent to each other, and party on!'