PDA

View Full Version : 25 years ago: Good Bye Communism!

HarmanKardon
11-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Please check my thread "The fall of the wall" at AudioKarma. This thread also shows Dan's "Dr.Jekyll/Mr Hyde" attitude. At AK he is almost always Dr. Jekyll, here he was almost always Mr. Hyde which was unacceptable at last. Pity. However - the fall of the wall means the triumph of democracy!

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN A FREE WORLD!

BlueStreak
11-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Except, some Americans think Communism has come here, their numbers are many and they are idiots.

Dave

HarmanKardon
11-09-2014, 07:14 AM
You are right. As always.

finnbow
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
It sure would be fun to be in Berlin today, though it would be fun to be in Berlin on any day - fun place. The first time I went there with my parents and sibling was just a few months after the wall went up. The second time was 30 years later when we walked through Checkpoint Charlie into East Berlin with a bunch of smuggled Ostmarks we bought at the train station in West Berlin. It was an ugly, depressing place (particularly when compared to the western showcase of West Berlin), but really cheap, especially when using smuggled currency. Four of us ate and drank all day for about $10. I still have a number of Red Army belts and buckles I picked up on that trip in trade for cigarettes.

HarmanKardon
11-09-2014, 08:21 AM
It is astonishing that CNN sent a sheer endless live coverage from Berlin yesterday and today it is the same. Hala Gorani, Jim Clancy and Fred Pleitgen were/are reporting with fine comments and impressive pictures. Fred Pleitgen with a lot of very good background stories.

But this quantity of coverage is very astonishing to me.

donquixote99
11-09-2014, 08:41 AM
CNN loves to have something to go wall-to-wall with....

merrylander
11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
I was there many moons ago for a standards meeting at DIN headquarters.

HarmanKardon
11-09-2014, 11:04 AM

It is the only American News channel that is available to me. So I have no choice. Like the voters in East German "elections". By the way, the last election in the GDR was in May 1989, and the Communist Party got 98.5% of the votes. Fraud as always, but that time was the first time that the East German public prosecutor's office investigated, with no result of course... But this was another sign that a big change was dawning...

finnbow
11-09-2014, 11:09 AM

That's far less true with CNN International when overseas. They have to compete with BBC, Al Jazeera, Sky News, etc., all of which are better than cable news here.

d-ray657
11-09-2014, 11:43 AM

No pun intended? ;)

Regards,

D-Ray

CarlV
11-09-2014, 11:48 AM
It is astonishing that CNN sent a sheer endless live coverage from Berlin yesterday and today it is the same. Hala Gorani, Jim Clancy and Fred Pleitgen were/are reporting with fine comments and impressive pictures. Fred Pleitgen with a lot of very good background stories.

But this quantity of coverage is very astonishing to me.

I am truly sorry to hear that, there is no USA TV news worth bothering with much, even ABC has joined NBC and Fox over the air channels that have jumped on the partisan bash Obama bandwagon.

Carl

HarmanKardon
11-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Stop CNN bashing folks. :rolleyes: It is the only bit of authentic :D America which I have. :rolleyes:

Apart from PoliticalChat...

donquixote99
11-09-2014, 02:43 PM
No pun intended? ;)

Regards,

D-Ray

No, but it should have been! :)

bobabode
11-10-2014, 02:26 AM
Congrats Chris. All the best, Bob.

Dondilion
11-10-2014, 07:52 AM
Most of those news channels are awful. If you want to get near the truth you have to dig for it. And beware of headline news.

Recently my eyes really opened on the BBC and found it extremely lacking,
bias re Scotland and Ukraine.

piece-itpete
11-10-2014, 10:31 AM
It still amazes me, how fast the old order fell and Germany reunited. Congrats x 2.

Pete

HarmanKardon
11-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Congrats Chris. All the best, Bob.

:) :) :)

Here is nice picture for you folks (2011).

HarmanKardon
11-10-2014, 11:08 AM
It still amazes me, how fast the old order fell and Germany reunited. Congrats x 2.

Pete

The reunion, the emotional one, was for a lot of people pretty difficult, it took a lot of years for many to tear down the wall in their brains.

The reunion was also an extreme financial challenge.