PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

bobabode
11-23-2014, 12:56 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/11/22/in-the-run-up-to-black-friday-walmart-and-strikers-wage-a-war-of-words/?hpid=z3

Anyone here hitting the stores on Thursday or Friday this week?

WalMart is at it again plus KMart is opening at 6AM on Thanksgiving Day.
At least CostCo is closed on Thanksgiving.

merrylander
11-23-2014, 06:01 AM
Not us thank you.

finnbow
11-23-2014, 08:19 AM
NFW. I do all of my holiday shopping via the Web.

mpholland
11-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Thanksgiving is family time for me. I will probably eat to mild discomfort on Thursday and then spend Friday with the granddaughter for her 7th birthday.

d-ray657
11-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Friday is jigsaw puzzle day at our house. This is the first year in several years that neither of my sons is in the retail business, so we will have some actual family time.

Regards,

D-Ray

Oerets
11-23-2014, 09:06 AM
I don't but the wife and the other girls in the family go out way to early. Have strategy secessions mapping out the ""deals"". She goes to bed real real early Thanksgiving night and is gone hours before the crack of dawn.

Barney

Ike Bana
11-23-2014, 11:07 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/11/22/in-the-run-up-to-black-friday-walmart-and-strikers-wage-a-war-of-words/?hpid=z3

We're driving from Asheville up to the outskirts of Pittsburgh on Friday to tour Kentuck Knob Friday afternoon and Fallingwater Saturday morning.

finnbow
11-23-2014, 11:43 AM
We're driving from Asheville up to the outskirts of Pittsburgh on Friday to tour Kentuck Knob Friday afternoon and Fallingwater Saturday morning.

Cool. The nearby town of Ohiopyle is lovely. Fallingwater is also great, though its idiosyncrasies make it less livable than its great architecture would lead you to believe. I haven't been to Kentuck Knob yet though.

merrylander
11-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Saw an article that a bunch of Wally World folks are planning a strike for Black Fiday.

piece-itpete
11-24-2014, 10:01 AM
I'd ordinarily be with Finn, NFW. People are idiots. However I'm on my own this Friday so I might head up to the Sears hardware store just for something to do, see if there's a bargain on a US made tool or two. I really need a 4 drawer toolbox too.

Pete

MrPots
11-24-2014, 11:41 AM
No, I think the entire season is fucking stupid silly.

Tom Joad
11-24-2014, 12:26 PM

If I come down with a serious illness that I think might kill me before the weekend is up, or if the house catches on fire and I can't put it out myself, I'll call 911. Other than that I'm going to hunker down and try to stay out of the insanity

JJIII
11-24-2014, 12:29 PM
If I come down with a serious illness that I think might kill me before the weekend is up, or if the house catches on fire and I can't put it out myself, I'll call 911. Other than that I'm going to hunker down and try to stay out of the insanity

I'll drink to that!:)

d-ray657
11-24-2014, 07:30 PM
I'll drink to that!:)

C'mon. You'd drink to taking the trash out. ;)

Regards,

D-Ray

JJIII
11-25-2014, 06:07 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

Yep! Equal opportunity!:D

MrPots
11-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Regards,

D-Ray

I'll drink to that!

icenine
11-25-2014, 10:24 AM
I wonder if it will rain that day.

Rajoo
11-25-2014, 12:16 PM
I was once told by someone in retail that retailers jack up the prices before Black Friday and then mark them down for the sale. I believe this to be true and a reason to avoid shopping sprees. Never know if you are getting a good deal or being fooled. That's my excuse. :D

sheltiedave
11-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Black Friday will be the biggest protest day in St. Louis. Fun for all!

icenine
11-25-2014, 02:17 PM
At the risk of putting some politics into the thread I found that this article gave me new insight about black friday:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-black-friday-class-divide-20141124-story.html

bobabode
11-25-2014, 02:35 PM
At the risk of putting some politics into the thread I found that this article gave me new insight about black friday:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-black-friday-class-divide-20141124-story.html

No risk involved Robbin. That was my intention from the gitgo.

We're probably heading over to Costco on Friday to look at TVs but this idea of shopping on Thanksgiving is simply wrong for us. I really feel for the retail folk being forced to work on Turkey day.

merrylander
11-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Shoot I look back on my youth and therre was no Sunday open and half day Wednesday. WTF happened?

bobabode
11-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Greed coupled with a scorched earth policy towards labor.

piece-itpete
11-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Blue laws were religious ;)

Pete

merrylander
11-26-2014, 06:18 AM

Pete

Yes and no, they were also based on honest respect for people. Way back before unions brought us the 8 hour day they only llet you off on Sunday if you went to church. Withe labor unions came enlightenment (even if the had to beat management over the head to get them to see the light.

Oh and Saturday we closed at noon during my brief stint at the General Store. That was when I would drive to my customers early in the morning get their order and deliver it in the afternoon. For a hormone loaded 17 year old I got met at the kitchen door in some revealing outfits - oh my:)

Countryford
11-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Couple of my thoughts on this whole thing.

The reason the stores open earlier and earlier each year is because people line up to go shopping. Kind of like the phrase in the movie, "If you build it they will come", but it is "If you open it, they will come". So yes, it is greed by the business to open up earlier, but also from the shoppers for wanting to get that TV for a few bucks cheaper. Me personally, I don't care if they want to open on Thanksgiving day or not. I won't be shopping, but they have the right to open on that day. As the shoppers have the right to shop or to stay at home.
Before I get crap for not thinking about the "poor" employees who have to work on Thanksgiving day, I'll be at work as well. The only thing is I won't be dealing with the stupid shoppers. Unless Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any other holiday happens to land on my day off of Friday or Saturday, I'll be at work on those days.
I understand that Thanksgiving day is supposed to be a day for being thankful for what you have and to spend it with your loved ones. To be honest, I'm thankful for what I have every day of the year, not just on the last Thursday of November. I also spend as much time that I can with my loved ones. When I get home from work tomorrow, we'll sit down to a nice dinner, like every other day of the week. The only difference really, will be what we are having and it will be served earlier than normal. I'll be home at about 1:30 in the afternoon, so will be eating shortly after that. If I did have to work the full day, we'd just have our Turkey meal on another day.

Anyways, thats my thoughts on all of this.

Countryford
11-26-2014, 08:25 AM
Another thing about that article about the difference in shopping for the rich and the poor. It does seem that the lower and middle class are the ones who are all into the hype. The slump is driven by those who earn less than $50,000, called "survivalists," whose ranks have been growing.
So since when did buying a 55" flat screen TV makes that person a survivalist? Last time I checked that TV or video game or whatever POS that they buy, is not a necessity.

piece-itpete
11-26-2014, 08:29 AM
... For a hormone loaded 17 year old I got met at the kitchen door in some revealing outfits - oh my:)

:D

So since when did buying a 55" flat screen TV makes that person a survivalist? ....

Thanks Cf, I know you were being serious but a good point can be very amusing!

Pete

BlueStreak
11-26-2014, 08:49 AM
Greed coupled with a scorched earth policy towards labor.

Pete

The only way to get a business owner, especially a religious conservative one, to stop being a dick is to convince him he'll burn in hell for his behavior. For the others, you must pass a law that they will despise, resist and attack demanding their "right" to feed their greed. Then, your lucky if they don't just shut down on you completely.

It's a sad fact, really.

Dave

BlueStreak
11-26-2014, 08:57 AM
Another thing about that article about the difference in shopping for the rich and the poor. It does seem that the lower and middle class are the ones who are all into the hype.
So since when did buying a 55" flat screen TV makes that person a survivalist? Last time I checked that TV or video game or whatever POS that they buy, is not a necessity.

I work with men who constantly bitch about how "the government" or "Obama" is "ruining our lives". These guys all make close to $30 an hour, own race cars, jet skis, boats, live in nice houses..................Do you see how badly abused they are, what with all those high wages, OT pay, paid vacations and other shit "the left" has forced upon them? They have to make sure they put a stop to THAT shit, because the "job creaters" don't like it..........:rolleyes:

Dave

piece-itpete
11-26-2014, 09:10 AM
The only way to get a business owner, especially a religious conservative one, to stop being a dick is to convince him he'll burn in hell for his behavior. For the others, you must pass a law that they will despise, resist and attack demanding their "right" to feed their greed. Then, your lucky if they don't just shut down on you completely.

It's a sad fact, really.

Dave

We did have both, but I remember the one of the arguments against them were that they were religious based.

Pete

Rajoo
11-26-2014, 10:12 AM
Another thing about that article about the difference in shopping for the rich and the poor. It does seem that the lower and middle class are the ones who are all into the hype.

TG shopping for a lot of people is like a feeding frenzy. A "survivalist" buying a 55" flat panel TV is probably making a reckless decision at the time since they are now caught up in the euphoria and they just cannot say no and walk away. Retailers ensure that the product placement and pricing is enticing.

I learned a long time ago that if I find something in a store which at the time I absolutely wanted, walk away from it for about ten minutes and ask myself if I really want it. Chances are 99% of the time that I will not got back to the item. I follow a similar principle in my business, "some times the best decisions are no decisions". Wait a day or two and then readdress the need.

BlueStreak
11-26-2014, 12:20 PM
TG shopping for a lot of people is like a feeding frenzy. A "survivalist" buying a 55" flat panel TV is probably making a reckless decision at the time since they are now caught up in the euphoria and they just cannot say no and walk away. Retailers ensure that the product placement and pricing is enticing.

I learned a long time ago that if I find something in a store which at the time I absolutely wanted, walk away from it for about ten minutes and ask myself if I really want it. Chances are 99% of the time that I will not got back to the item. I follow a similar principle in my business, "some times the best decisions are no decisions". Wait a day or two and then readdress the need.

Yes, I avoided some impulse buying today. I saw a biography of Harry Truman that was calling out to me.........at $35. I walked away, but stopped by the bargain bin to see a nice illustrated copy of Dantes Divine Comedy for $8. Then I walked over to the FYE store and saw a luscious selection of new vinyl, with many titles I'd love to have.....none of it cheap. Walked away, but on my way past the "Used CDs" bin I spied a Living Stereo (CD) of Fritz Reiner and the CSO doing Scheherazade and Debussy's La Mer for $5.

I'll be up late tonight.............

Dave

Tom Joad
11-26-2014, 01:36 PM
I need to go grocery shopping today, the day before Thanksgiving.

It's a great big shit sandwich and I'm going to have to take a bite. :mad:

icenine
11-27-2014, 08:14 PM
That is how the Republican rich guys in the 30s used to describe their turn-coat
patrician FDR....so I am not surprised to find out Black Friday is his fault and not Obama's

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/24/fdr-commercialized-thanksgiving_n_6198754.html

piece-itpete
12-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Moving the date for fat cats? Tsk-tsk. But of course he was a fat cat too ;)

I had a headlight go out on me Thursday so drove past the parts stores on a whim, around 6:30. They were closed, no big deal, but the Sears hardware store next to them was open so I popped in.

There were quite a few people there but I think there was more employees than customers! Everyone seemed in a really good mood.

There were some good seeming deals on Craftsman tools but ALL of them were made in China. If I'm going to buy made in China crap I'll get it even cheaper at Harbor Freight.

I did buy a pair of US made collapsible sawhorses for $13.

Pete

donquixote99
12-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes, I avoided some impulse buying today. I saw a biography of Harry Truman that was calling out to me.........at $35. I walked away, but stopped by the bargain bin to see a nice illustrated copy of Dantes Divine Comedy for $8. Then I walked over to the FYE store and saw a luscious selection of new vinyl, with many titles I'd love to have.....none of it cheap. Walked away, but on my way past the "Used CDs" bin I spied a Living Stereo (CD) of Fritz Reiner and the CSO doing Scheherazade and Debussy's La Mer for $5.

I'll be up late tonight.............

Dave

I've just done comparison listening of nine versions of Beethoven's 5th, over the past few days. Fritz Reiner and the CSO won.

Tom Joad
12-01-2014, 03:25 PM
I need to go grocery shopping today, the day before Thanksgiving.

It's a great big shit sandwich and I'm going to have to take a bite. :mad:

Publix, where I went to grocery shop on Wednesday had, in my estimation, approximately eight times as many shoppers as they do on an average day.

However they had a full crew working and every register was open, so checkout was a breeze. They really have it all over on Wally World.

Ike Bana
12-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Cool. The nearby town of Ohiopyle is lovely. Fallingwater is also great, though its idiosyncrasies make it less livable than its great architecture would lead you to believe. I haven't been to Kentuck Knob yet though.

We stayed overnight in a nice little B&B on the Ohiopyle Rd. Kentuck Knob was interesting but one of my least favorite Wright commissions.

Tom Joad
12-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Sounds good to me.

Black Friday sales plummeted this year, leaving retailers completely stumped.

After weeks of declining gas prices, many analysts predicted the biggest holiday season ever. Industry groups like the National Retail Federation reasoned that Americans would use their fuel savings on gifts.

Despite encouraging forecasts, Black Friday weekend sales were down 11%.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/black-friday-revealed-how-poor-americans-really-are-2014-12#ixzz3KsqT9qN9

barbara
12-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Don't know about other areas, but where I live, it was rainy and awful weather that week end. I had thought about going shopping but stayed home because of the rain.

Oerets
12-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Don't know about other areas, but where I live, it was rainy and awful weather that week end. I had thought about going shopping but stayed home because of the rain.

Barbara, it was a beautiful day here. Not a cloud in the sky and in the 60's. But I still refused to go to the stores. The wife and girls all went out before dawn and shopped. I watched my Grandsons so the Daughter N Law could go and shop with the wife. I volunteered and looked forward to it.

Barney

barbara
12-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Barbara, it was a beautiful day here. Not a cloud in the sky and in the 60's. But I still refused to go to the stores. The wife and girls all went out before dawn and shopped. I watched my Grandsons so the Daughter N Law could go and shop with the wife. I volunteered and looked forward to it.

Barney

I'm so jealous! I would love to have grandchildren to watch...

Son and daughter in law have been trying for about six years with no results. I think I'm destined to enjoy grandchildren vicariously. 😊