PDA

View Full Version : When History Knocks

VanishingPoi
01-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Naomi Klein is a longtime movement and media icon, a gifted synthesizer and popularizer who, over the past two decades, has been a leading chronicler of anti-corporate, anti-globalization, and anti-capitalist social movements (a series of “anti”s that undeniably needs some unpacking).

Who else on the Left gets a sympathetic interview on the evening news of Canada’s publicly owned television broadcaster before the release of her latest book? And who else, as a preview of that book, is immediately given a chance to explain to a national audience why, from the perspective of the environment, capitalism is “the main enemy?”

Klein’s writings and talks have provided “the movement” with needed context and coherence, and served as a conduit and catalyst for discussions, contributing to its recruitment and growth. Her new book, This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate, is the climax of her highly influential trilogy and also registers how much her perspective has changed over the last fifteen years.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/12/naomi-klein-capitalism/

Pio1980
01-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Global influences in general have proven toxic in some way at least to the natives on which they are inflicted, those that amount to colonialization particularly so.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boreas
01-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Naomi Klein has an interesting family background. She's Canadian, as is her mother, but her father was an American Vietnam war resistor who fled to Canada to avoid the draft. When amnesty was granted, however, he elected to stay in Canada and become a citizen.

I can't help but think that Ms. Klein's outlook is to some degree influenced by her father's political and moral sensibilities. It allows her to see the actions of governments without the veneer of false patriotism that befuddles many of us.

John

VanishingPoi
01-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Naomi Klein has an interesting family background. She's Canadian, as is her mother, but her father was an American Vietnam war resistor who fled to Canada to avoid the draft. When amnesty was granted, however, he elected to stay in Canada and become a citizen.

I can't help but think that Ms. Klein's outlook is to some degree influenced by her father's political and moral sensibilities. It allows her to see the actions of governments without the veneer of false patriotism that befuddles many of us.

John

I was influenced by my father but my sister is a Republican from hell. My brother never discusses politics at all. We are a funny lot. However, being influenced by ones family doesn't make her points any less valid.

Boreas
01-04-2015, 10:56 AM
However, being influenced by ones family doesn't make her points any less valid.

It was never my intention to suggest that. Rather, I think her upbringing trained her to look at everything with a healthy degree of skepticism and to explore alternatives.

I agree totally with everything Naomi Klein has ever written so she must be right.

John

noonereal
01-04-2015, 11:18 AM
i agree totally with everything naomi klein has ever written so she must be right.

John

:rolleyes:

VanishingPoi
01-05-2015, 07:43 PM
It was never my intention to suggest that. Rather, I think her upbringing trained her to look at everything with a healthy degree of skepticism and to explore alternatives.

I agree totally with everything Naomi Klein has ever written so she must be right.

John

Me too cuz she does her homework.