PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Orthodox celebrates Christmas and its arts shine.

Dondilion
01-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Whilst viewing some pictures of the Eastern Orthodox celebration of Christmas I was struck by the prominence of Art. Like its western counterpart - Roman Catholic - artists were widely employed.

It is a pity the protestants had an anti imagery stance.

Here are some pictures of Eastern celebrations framed by some beautiful artistic expressions.
www.rt.com/in-vision/christmas/

merrylander
01-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Whilst viewing some pictures of the Eastern Orthodox celebration of Christmas I was struck by the prominence of Art. Like it western counterpart - Roman Catholic - artists were widely employed.

It is a pity the protestants had an anti imagery stance.

Here are some pictures of Eastern celebrations framed by some beautiful artistic expressions.
www.rt.com/in-vision/christmas/

Which Protestants? There are so many of them.:)

bobabode
01-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Don's been breathing in too much incense. ;)

donquixote99
01-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Which Protestants? There are so many of them.:)

All of them, except Luther at the very beginning. But the images have been creeping back in, of course. Started with the pretty windows, perhaps....

Pio1980
01-09-2015, 10:25 PM
People were illiterate, imagery helped with the spoken text in whatever language.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

merrylander
01-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Gutenberg started an end to that. However many cathedrals that I have visited in England and Europe had plenty of lovely stained glass art.

piece-itpete
01-10-2015, 11:17 AM
All of them, except Luther at the very beginning. But the images have been creeping back in, of course. Started with the pretty windows, perhaps....

Luther was horrified when the plebs started smashing up the art. I was raised in a Lutheran church and all there was was the windows - the heathen!! :) GREAT choral though.

That said the veneration of saints isn't part of my belief.

Dondillion I was fortune enough to attend a Ukrainian Orthodox service a few years back. I enjoyed the... over the topness? not exactly but kindof (sorry), pomp and ceremony? - it was impressive. I also liked how the Priest would occasionally turn to the parishioners and bark 'Pay attention!' :D I agree the art of the old Churches are incredible!

Pete

Dondilion
01-10-2015, 11:25 AM
People were illiterate, imagery helped with the spoken text in whatever language.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

True!

With skillful use of the image of the LADY OF GUADALUPE the Spanish converted millions of Aztecs in 7 years.

To this day the image of the Lady is a very powerful force in Mexico.

www.cruxnow.com/faith/2014/12/12/four-awesome-facts-about-our-lady-of-guadalupe/

Dondilion
01-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Luther was horrified when the plebs started smashing up the art. I was raised in a Lutheran church and all there was was the windows - the heathen!! :) GREAT choral though.

Pete

BTW I recently learnt that many Jehovah Witness churches have no windows.

donquixote99
01-10-2015, 11:55 AM
While the Witnesses are hard-over against graven images and stuff, I think they avoid windows so no one can throw bricks through them. They're pretty paranoid.

piece-itpete
01-10-2015, 11:57 AM
They seem to lean a little too closely to idolatry regarding their 'founder' Charles Russell.

I doubt any man or manmade organization that claims to know something special about one truth. If God is truly merciful, surely that mercy can extend to Catholics or Episcopalians or even Witnesses :D

Pete

merrylander
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
They seem to lean a little too closely to idolatry regarding their 'founder' Charles Russell.

I doubt any man or manmade organization that claims to know something special about one truth. If God is truly merciful, surely that mercy can extend to Catholics or Episcopalians or even Witnesses :D

Pete

Exactly 1 John 4:8 :)

Dondilion
01-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Luther was horrified when the plebs started smashing up the art.

Pete

Islamic Fundamentalists are now on the same route. :D