PDA

View Full Version : The Drought and Water Use in California

bobabode
04-07-2015, 10:25 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-some-california-cities-must-cut-water-use-35-amid-drought-20150407-story.html

Shit just got real out here. 135 water districts will have to cut use by 35%.

djv8ga
04-07-2015, 10:53 PM
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-some-california-cities-must-cut-water-use-35-amid-drought-20150407-story.html

Shit just got real out here. 135 water districts will have to cut use by 35%.
Pretty crazy stuff. There is talk leaking out that some sort of action is going to happen here too. I say start with the golf courses.

Zeke
04-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Cut by ~1/3?

That's pretty Draconian, no?

nailer
04-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Time to ban the hissing of summer lawns.

bobabode
04-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Pretty crazy stuff. There is talk leaking out that some sort of action is going to happen here too. I say start with the golf courses.

We've been talking about turf removal with the water district for the last year. They'll pay up to $3.00 per sq. ft. to rip it out and replace with decomposed granite and xeriscaping.

Rajoo
04-08-2015, 12:14 AM
We dug up the grass in the backyard last month. Next, we will be digging out the grass from our front yard. At this rate, California should simply outlaw grass as a ground cover.

djv8ga
04-08-2015, 06:35 AM
, California should simply outlaw grass as a ground cover.
Phoenix should have done it long ago.

djv8ga
04-08-2015, 06:37 AM
We've been talking about turf removal with the water district for the last year. They'll pay up to $3.00 per sq. ft. to rip it out and replace with decomposed granite and xeriscaping.
Are many people doing it ?

barbara
04-08-2015, 07:29 AM
We are putting in some decorative stamped concrete in our backyard. Not covering the whole yard but reducing the amount of lawn space by extending sidewalk and patios.

finnbow
04-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Agriculture uses 80% of California's water, yet is not subject to the new restrictions (or so I read). It seems to me that restricting lawn-watering and car-washing is only going to get California so far.

barbara
04-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Agriculture uses 80% of California's water, yet is not subject to the new restrictions (or so I read). It seems to me that restricting lawn-watering and car-washing is only going to get California so far.

That is true but agriculture is big business in California. The valley supplies the fruits and veggies that feed a good portion of the United States. No doubt the farm corporations wielded the political leverage needed to make sure they get the water they need.

On the other hand, I see more WASTED water happening with private individuals. People who water lawns to excess and the water runs off onto sidewalks, people who think their car has to be washed every week end, etc.

nailer
04-08-2015, 09:22 AM

This should be an effective means to get the predominant water users to implement methods that require less water.

Boreas
04-08-2015, 09:27 AM

It is. We need to re-think the whole ag business here. Growing water-intensive crops like almonds in the driest parts of the state isn't sustainable on any basis, far less during a mega-drought.

John

Boreas
04-08-2015, 09:29 AM
On the other hand, I see more WASTED water happening with private individuals. People who water lawns to excess and the water runs off onto sidewalks, people who think their car has to be washed every week end, etc.

I think you may be confusing incidents of water waste with amount of water wasted.

John

nailer
04-08-2015, 09:58 AM
It is. We need to re-think the whole ag business here. Growing water-intensive crops like almonds in the driest parts of the state isn't sustainable on any basis, far less during a mega-drought.

John

An aquifer is in the process of being sucked dry in west Texas to grow cotton.

Boreas
04-08-2015, 10:07 AM
An aquifer is in the process of being sucked dry in west Texas to grow cotton.

Same here. A lot of cotton's grown in the San Joaquin Valley.

Same in Arizona, southwest of Phoenix.

Between California and Arizona, the Colorado River peters out before it gets to the Gulf of California.

Stupid.

http://www.livingwilderness.com/lakes/colorado-river-delta.jpg

nailer
04-08-2015, 10:17 AM
To draw nationwide attention to the water crisis we could start a boycott cotton movement, but it's just too darn comfy!

Pio1980
04-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Was a time we sucked down the aquafers to produce a paid-for surplus, which was then dumped. Gotta love the forsight of special interest lobbyists.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boreas
04-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Was a time we sucked down the aquafers to produce a paid-for surplus, which was then dumped. Gotta love the forsight of special interest lobbyists.

Thanks to satellite technology, we can see something we never could see before: the ground shrinking/subsiding over huge areas as we pump the water out from underneath it.

This whole issue strikes me as a golden opportunity for a brand new kind of denier.

John

nailer
04-08-2015, 11:32 AM

Science gives us the power to use this water, and equally valuable soil, to fuel our vehicles. :eek: :)

Rajoo
04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
To draw nationwide attention to the water crisis we could start a boycott cotton movement, but it's just too darn comfy!

Give Egypt the monopoly on that. They are closer to China anyway. :)

Rajoo
04-08-2015, 12:17 PM
I envied Lake Erie and Lake Michigan area residents as I was flying back to CA yesterday from the East coast. And for over ten days, never did have to worry about length of a shower.

Boreas
04-08-2015, 12:36 PM
I envied Lake Erie and Lake Michigan area residents as I was flying back to CA yesterday from the East coast. And for over ten days, never did have to worry about length of a shower.

Lagunitas Brewing Co., a very good micro-brewer here in Petaluma, just opened their second facility. It's in Chicago, about 2,000 miles from their only other facility.

I thought they did it primarily to gain a presence in markets outside California but it turns out they did it for water. (Beer is ~80% water.)

finnbow
04-08-2015, 03:38 PM
That is true but agriculture is big business in California. The valley supplies the fruits and veggies that feed a good portion of the United States. No doubt the farm corporations wielded the political leverage needed to make sure they get the water they need.

From what I've read, California is nowhere near as advanced in terms of the use of drip irrigation as is Israel, for example. California still widely uses sprinklers and flood irrigation rather than the greatly more efficient drip irrigation methods.

http://time.com/3063/california-drought-5-way-to-bust/

barbara
04-08-2015, 03:42 PM
More info....

http://m.kcra.com/news/no-more-nice-guy-ca-naming-shaming-water-wasters/32258002

djv8ga
04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
At some point the water being saved will need to go to the central valley. The farms cannot & will not continue to drill & spend giant $ in energy when they can lease land in AZ. or elsewhere. Also, the water @ those depths sucks & will continue to worsen. Salty water + drought = dust.

Pio1980
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM
I'm going out to visit my bro in Visalia in June, we'll no doubt discuss this along with the other stuff.

djv8ga
04-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Good Grief :(
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/02/dublin-residents-question-timing-of-building-new-water-park/

bobabode
04-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Good Grief :(
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/04/02/dublin-residents-question-timing-of-building-new-water-park/

Meanwhile in Tempe, Arizona. :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75tiLqIydw

Boreas
04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Whistling past the graveyard.

djv8ga
04-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Meanwhile in Tempe, Arizona. :rolleyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S75tiLqIydw
The Democrat stronghold in the Valley Of The Sun. :p

bobabode
04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
The Democrat stronghold in the Valley Of The Sun. :p

Democrats in Arizona? :eek: There's hope for you yet DJ. :)

finnbow
04-13-2015, 06:07 AM
Democrats in Arizona? :eek:

In prison.;)

djv8ga
04-13-2015, 06:54 AM
bobabode, I meant no venom toward Ca. I posted the story because of the timing & thought some people might have a problem with it because of the water rationing.
All water parks here will need to be looked at & possibly closed if/when we start rationing water IMO.

bobabode
04-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Fire season comes extra early to the Southland.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-0417-fire-weather-20150417-story.html

djv8ga
06-13-2015, 09:55 PM
California Farmers Worry Senior Water Rights Cuts In Drought Could Be Devastating - http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/06/12/california-farmers-worry-senior-water-rights-cuts-in-drought-could-be-devastating/

Pio1980
06-13-2015, 10:17 PM
Just out there last week, looked very brown. Pumping down further beyond replenishment is just increasing the aquafer debt, serious budgeting is inescapable at this point regardless of politics or entitlement.

Boreas
06-13-2015, 10:30 PM
Tracy's not far from here (Bay Area), close enough so that people are moving there from San Francisco to get away from the high cost of housing. Tracy has a future after agriculture. The Imperial Valley is another matter and they're really being hit hard by the drought.

BlueStreak
06-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Terrible mess out there in California.

BlueStreak
06-13-2015, 10:48 PM
Weren't some of Californias most populated areas desert just less than 100 years ago?
It seems inevitable that population growth will eventually outstrip water resources regardless of what anyone does.

If it hasn't already.

Oerets
06-13-2015, 10:59 PM
My heart goes out to those effected. Plenty of blame to go around when there is just not enough. Right! But all would be forgotten once again if it would just rain enough. But the powers that be refuse to see climate change cause and effects with real solutions.

Being a non golfer see the watering of the courses as a wastes of it. Second the wholesale planting of nut trees in a desert after all. Plants that require what is it seven gals water per nut on some. IIRC.

The pumping of the ground water will run out then what gonna happen? Face it you have a great place to live out there. All except it is to popular, to many people! Not enough water. Hell the cost of rent or property haven't slowed down the migration, doubt water shortage will either.

Barney

Boreas
06-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Weren't some of Californias most populated areas desert just less than 100 years ago?

Less than that. Remember the movie "Chinatown"?

BlueStreak
06-13-2015, 11:57 PM
Less than that. Remember the movie "Chinatown"?

Jack Nicholson, yes, of course.

It seems to me that the natural resource had to be channeled to meet demand then and as the population continues to grow..........at what point does it simply become untenable?

Desalination seems to be the only real possibility.

Rajoo
06-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Jack Nicholson, yes, of course.

It seems to me that the natural resource had to be channeled to meet demand then and as the population continues to grow..........at what point does it simply become untenable?

Desalination seems to be the only real possibility.

What do we do for power for desalination? Fossil fuels will exacerbate the very problem (global warming) that has led to this four year drought. Nuclear power is the only other option and probably politically untenable. We need more reservoirs to collect and store rain water and nothing is being done in this arena either.

bobabode
06-14-2015, 12:45 AM
http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-pol-california-politics-20150607-story.html

Between a rock and a desert...

bobabode
06-14-2015, 01:34 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rich-californians-youll-have-to-pry-the-hoses-from-our-cold-dead-hands/2015/06/13/fac6f998-0e39-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html?hpid=z1

Then you have rich asswipes like this...suck it up and pay the fines, skippy.

BlueStreak
06-14-2015, 09:33 AM
This Yuhas jackass is a self-proclaimed conservative. It comes as no surprise to me that someone who subscribes to the mentality that some folks are entitled to pig up the entire nations wealth also think they are entitled to all of its natural resources as well.

And they can't for the life of them figure out why they are so hated.....................

We're just jealous of them for their Pissing Cherub fountains. Yeah, THAT'S what it is.

One of these days, man. One of these days.

Boreas
06-14-2015, 09:35 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-55726409/turbine/la-1864456-me-adv-resevoir-53-ajs-jpg-20150605/750/750x422

The Central Valley would have a hard time existing without Lake Shasta.

BlueStreak
06-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Looks more like "River Shasta".

djv8ga
06-14-2015, 09:50 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rich-californians-youll-have-to-pry-the-hoses-from-our-cold-dead-hands/2015/06/13/fac6f998-0e39-11e5-9726-49d6fa26a8c6_story.html?hpid=z1

Then you have rich asswipes like this...suck it up and pay the fines, skippy.
WTF? Maybe that one snob should consider creating 4 acres of soil out of that 4 acres of dirt. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm guessing the H.O.A. wouldn't allow that.

Rajoo
06-14-2015, 10:25 AM
http://www.trbimg.com/img-55726409/turbine/la-1864456-me-adv-resevoir-53-ajs-jpg-20150605/750/750x422

The Central Valley would have a hard time existing without Lake Shasta.

John, I have been driving that road regularly for the past 15+ years and the levels have been continuously receding. Have you seen Mount Shasta's snow cap recently or lack thereof. Similarly the snow cap on Mount Hood is also receding, not because of lack of rain in OR but the warm winter temperatures. My last trip was this May.

Boreas
06-14-2015, 10:52 AM
John, I have been driving that road regularly for the past 15+ years and the levels have been continuously receding. Have you seen Mount Shasta's snow cap recently or lack thereof. Similarly the snow cap on Mount Hood is also receding, not because of lack of rain in OR but the warm winter temperatures. My last trip was this May.

Yeah, Rajoo, I used to drive it all the time starting about 15 years ago, but not for the past 5 or 6 years. Yes, I did see the level drop from one trip to the next but not like this. Just shows how long we've been in trouble but didn't know it.... or didn't want to know it.

Rajoo
06-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Rajoo, I used to drive it all the time starting about 15 years ago, but not for the past 5 or 6 years. Yes, I did see the level drop from one trip to the next but not like this. Just shows how long we've been in trouble but didn't know it.... or didn't want to know it.

We should have started water rationing (if that is the correct word) four or five years ago and that is one negative I have for Gov. Brown. He turned a blind eye to our water consumption and more importantly unregulated usage of ground water. We have cut our watering down to two days a week and reduced the time to a third. Not much difference in the greenery and for good measure, ripped out the grass and planted bushes. Slowly converting to an all drip system which should reducing consumption further.

Imagine the amount of water we and our neighbors have been wasting regularly watering our lawns all these years. We have cut our water bill to a third of what it used to be in the peak of summer. Of course, this necessitates hand watering on some really hot days.

Boreas
06-14-2015, 11:26 AM
We should have started water rationing (if that is the correct word) four or five years ago and that is one negative I have for Gov. Brown. He turned a blind eye to our water consumption and more importantly unregulated usage of ground water. We have cut our watering down to two days a week and reduced the time to a third. Not much difference in the greenery and for good measure, ripped out the grass and planted bushes. Slowly converting to an all drip system which should reducing consumption further.

Imagine the amount of water we and our neighbors have been wasting regularly watering our lawns all these years. We have cut our water bill to a third of what it used to be in the peak of summer. Of course, this necessitates hand watering on some really hot days.

That's great, Rajoo!

I rent so I don't have a lawn to take care of but I've taken to doing my dishes in three basins (one wash, two rinses) and replacing the water every other day or every three days, depending on how funky the water gets.:) I also take "Navy showers". (Blue and Ice will know what they are.) and now every other day instead of every day. I do what I can but we're in deep trouble here.

Tom Joad
06-14-2015, 12:17 PM
What do we do for power for desalination?

Solar.

Mother nature has been doing it for billions of years.

Rajoo
06-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Solar.

Mother nature has been doing it for billions of years.

Cover Texas with solar panels? Now that's a novel idea. :)
As a practical matter, I don't think current solar collection technology can generate the amounts of energy for desalination. Saudi Arabia has been doing this for years but I have not looked further into it. Desalination also creates some nasty brine as byproduct.

djv8ga
06-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Grey Water systems should become popular.

bobabode
06-14-2015, 02:48 PM
WTF? Maybe that one snob should consider creating 4 acres of soil out of that 4 acres of dirt. :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm guessing the H.O.A. wouldn't allow that.

The HOA can go pound sand ;)

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-associations-20150614-story.html

Tom Joad
06-14-2015, 03:24 PM
As a practical matter, I don't think current solar collection technology can generate the amounts of energy for desalination. Saudi Arabia has been doing this for years but I have not looked further into it. Desalination also creates some nasty brine as byproduct.

So?

We put a Dude on the moon back in '68, we can figure this one out too.

Boreas
06-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Grey Water systems should become popular.

Municipal gray water systems have been in use here for several decades. I'm sure that Arizona is the same. Residential systems haven't really caught onyet but I hope they do.

icenine
06-14-2015, 11:49 PM
That's great, Rajoo!

I rent so I don't have a lawn to take care of but I've taken to doing my dishes in three basins (one wash, two rinses) and replacing the water every other day or every three days, depending on how funky the water gets.:) I also take "Navy showers". (Blue and Ice will know what they are.) and now every other day instead of every day. I do what I can but we're in deep trouble here.

I did not take Navy showers even when I was in the Navy John.
On the Abraham Lincoln we showered in the medical ward head, which did not have the deadman switch type of nozzle (have to push the white nozzle with one hand to release water, water stopped when you lathered your soap).

On the Boxer, which was about 10 years newer than the Lincoln we had normal shower heads like you civilians do.

John you must be really dedicated...you are a better man than me.

Here is the dreaded navy shower apparatus:

http://www.crenshawconsultingassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/navyshower.gif

The white nozzle has a button which releases water and stops when you release the button...the button is a pain in the ass to push.

Pio1980
06-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Cover Texas with solar panels? Now that's a novel idea. :)

I was thinking solar distillation.

bobabode
06-16-2015, 03:21 PM
NASA report on aquifer depletion worldwide.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/16/new-nasa-studies-show-how-the-world-is-running-out-of-water/?hpid=z1

CarlV
06-16-2015, 04:02 PM
This should be real interesting but it is probably too late to stay awake through so I will be recording it.

The program captures an in-depth, participatory discussion between Gov Jerry Brown and LA Times/San Diego Union-Tribune Publisher and CEO Austin Beutner on critical water conservation issues that includes questions pre-submitted by the public.

KQED (http://www.kqed.org/tv/programs/index.jsp?pgmid=23118)

Carl

Boreas
06-16-2015, 08:48 PM
This should be real interesting but it is probably too late to stay awake through so I will be recording it.

Carl

Sheesh! I guess they don't really want anyone to watch it!

Boreas
06-16-2015, 08:53 PM
NASA report on aquifer depletion worldwide.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/16/new-nasa-studies-show-how-the-world-is-running-out-of-water/?hpid=z1

The Republicans think NASA has no business looking at our own planet. They think NASA should stick to space. You know, the "sexy" stuff.

So they want to slash NASA's budget so that they have no money for anything outside their "core mission".

Mostly the Republicans don't like it that NASA is sounding the alarm about climate change.

Oerets
06-17-2015, 06:06 AM
The Republicans think NASA has no business looking at our own planet. They think NASA should stick to space. You know, the "sexy" stuff.

So they want to slash NASA's budget so that they have no money for anything outside their "core mission".

Mostly the Republicans don't like it that NASA is sounding the alarm about climate change.

Or maybe subconsciously to look for us another planet. Since we will be needing a new one soon!

Barney

djv8ga
07-15-2015, 09:00 PM
The U.S. geological service takes a look at California's public water supply - http://www.aol.com/article/2015/07/15/study-finds-contaminants-in-california-public-water-supplies/21209897/?icid=maing-grid7%7Ccompaq-desktop%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-366203067

Oerets
07-15-2015, 10:22 PM
Wish there was some way to send the 12" of rain since Sunday I now have to deal with out west!

Barney

bobabode
07-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Wish there was some way to send the 12" of rain since Sunday I now have to deal with out west!

Barney

12 inches? Wow! We're supposed to get an El Nino winter here, if the eggheads at NOAA have read their tea leaves right. It's going to be a banner year for wildfires this summer so we're looking at mudslides galore when the rains start.

djv8ga
07-19-2015, 10:09 PM
12 inches? Wow! We're supposed to get an El Nino winter here, if the eggheads at NOAA have read their tea leaves right. It's going to be a banner year for wildfires this summer so we're looking at mudslides galore when the rains start.

It looks like you're getting the rain we were supposed to get from the tropical storm.

bobabode
07-19-2015, 10:17 PM
It looks like you're getting the rain we were supposed to get from the tropical storm.

Rain yesterday, rain today. We're lovin' it. :D

I hope you get some too, DJ.

djv8ga
07-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Rain yesterday, rain today. We're lovin' it. :D

I hope you get some too, DJ.
Got a wild storm yesterday on our property & the lightning started a fire in the creek. Thank goodness the fire went east and missed our trees. My idiot neighbors with fences caused the fire dept. all sorts of trouble getting to the fire in the dark. It's super dark in S.E. Az. & we work hard to keep it that way.

bobabode
07-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Got a wild storm yesterday on our property & the lightning started a fire in the creek. Thank goodness the fire went east and missed our trees.

Wow. :eek:

barbara
07-20-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm glad someone is getting rain.
It's dry where I'm at.

donquixote99
07-20-2015, 07:48 PM
In southern Ohio, there's been rain, measurable rain, on 19 of the 31 days from June 14 to July 14. June rainfall averages about 4 inches, this year it was 7.88.

'Corn doesn't like wet feet;' yields will be down.