PDA

View Full Version : Alan Turing, or aka how i feel about white culture

matteos
04-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Bear with me. I'm from a country that deems it necessary to call itself great in its title. . Great Britain.

Now in ways we are great and i submit this one person as a michrocosm of our country. Alan Turing... here's a guy who invented binary. I.e the digital age, he also cracked the enigma code allowing us to beat the nazis in ww2. Our country can produce such a man.. a hero, a visionary... and our country can hound such a man to suicide because he was gay.

I feel like Britain and by extension America is capable of such vision and genius and is equally capable of killing its heroes and using their work for its less than savory goals. . For every step forward we make we take a step back. We invent the railroad and use it to subjugate Africa. Some bright spark. .. a product of our culture does something amazing and then it gets used by others for their own nefarious ends. the best things can happen here and then some asshole comes along and uses that idea for their own personal end.

America is the same, in many ways it is the greatest country in the world, but when it comes down to it... it's "interests" are as powerful as the game changing ideas it creates.

Here's another guy. Oliver Cromwell. . Basically abolished the monarchy. .. a good thing. . Then he invaded Ireland and nailed babies to church doors and created a mess it took over 400 years to end. Good things and bad in equal measures.

bobabode
04-13-2015, 12:48 AM
The story of Alan Turing is indeed a bittersweet one. His work cracking the Enigma code can't be overstated.

BlueStreak
04-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Bear with me. I'm from a country that deems it necessary to call itself great in its title. . Great Britain.

Now in ways we are great and i submit this one person as a michrocosm of our country. Alan Turing... here's a guy who invented binary. I.e the digital age, he also cracked the enigma code allowing us to beat the nazis in ww2. Our country can produce such a man.. a hero, a visionary... and our country can hound such a man to suicide because he was gay.

I feel like Britain and by extension America is capable of such vision and genius and is equally capable of killing its heroes and using their work for its less than savory goals. . For every step forward we make we take a step back. We invent the railroad and use it to subjugate Africa. Some bright spark. .. a product of our culture does something amazing and then it gets used by others for their own nefarious ends. the best things can happen here and then some asshole comes along and uses that idea for their own personal end.

America is the same, in many ways it is the greatest country in the world, but when it comes down to it... it's "interests" are as powerful as the game changing ideas it creates.

Here's another guy. Oliver Cromwell. . Basically abolished the monarchy. .. a good thing. . Then he invaded Ireland and nailed babies to church doors and created a mess it took over 400 years to end. Good things and bad in equal measures.

Robert Oppenheimer comes to mind. Brilliant nuclear physicist, headed the development of the first atomic bombs, ending the war with Japan.....Hounded because his he and wife had apparently been members of the American Communist Party at some point in the 1930s.

bobabode
04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Interesting treatment of 'Wolf Hall' by the BBC on PBS. Anyone else catching this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Hall

merrylander
04-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Show me a nation with a blameless record and it would needs be on another planet. The ones that own up to their mistakes and take steps to correct them are the better ones.

Boreas
04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
I'm familiar with Alan Turing's and Oliver Cromwell's stories but don't really see a common thread. Neither do I understand what either has to do with "white culture" specifically.

John

Pio1980
04-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Interesting treatment of 'Wolf Hall' by the BBC on PBS. Anyone else catching this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Hall

I hope to, have missed it so far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Pio1980
04-16-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm familiar with Alan Turing's and Oliver Cromwell's stories but don't really see a common thread. Neither do I understand what either has to do with "white culture" specifically.

John

Mebbe more of a European penchant for cultural dominance.

BlueStreak
04-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Show me a nation with a blameless record and it would needs be on another planet. The ones that own up to their mistakes and take steps to correct them are the better ones.

Our rightwing friends, who want to white wash American history and claim that we are "exceptional" because as a "Christian Nation" we would never do such things....

Would call this an "apologist" attitude.

They are delusional idiots and their numbers are huge.

Dave

nailer
04-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Cultures are fabrics of delusion woven from the ever shifting bedrock of myth.

Boreas
04-16-2015, 05:52 PM
cultures are fabrics of delusion woven from the ever shifting bedrock of myth.

From LRH?

donquixote99
04-16-2015, 08:13 PM
From LRH?

Is he the guy who also said "Metaphors are the lemon seeds in the ice tea of life?"

matteos
04-16-2015, 11:03 PM

John

You're right in many ways. I was pontificating... Turing. . Just a good dude, Cromwell... an asshole.. in many ways but freeing us from the shackles of monarchy. A good thing, even though by all accounts he was kind of a douche. The goods guy gets screwed, turing reminds me of david kelly.. the forces are still at work even in a relatively peaceful country like England.. speak out and somehow die, no matter what you done. Even if you literally saved the country.

There should be a Turing day, he was that much of a hero, instead he's a footnote in history.

BlueStreak
04-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Cultures are fabrics of delusion woven from the ever shifting bedrock of myth.

Damn that's deep. I like it. ;)

Dave

nailer
04-17-2015, 11:24 AM
From LRH?

Took me a triple take to get.

nailer
04-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Is he the guy who also said "Metaphors are the lemon seeds in the ice tea of life?"

The best iced tea I've had had lemon seeds.

Ever notice how seeded grapes taste better than sterile ones?

Pio1980
04-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Took me a triple take to get.

Better, the quotes attributed to him on religion.