PDA

View Full Version : Bought a shotgun

Charles
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Apparently, my old buddy's in a tight spot.

Called me up and sold me a Keen Kutter single shot 20 Ga. popgun...$100 sight unseen.

Well, I've seen it. Rougher than a cob, stock's been cut and fitted with a recoil pad (destroyed any value it MIGHT have had)...a $50 dollar piece on a DAMN good day. He did sweeten the deal with a sack of ammo. Ammo's worth as much than the piece. I'll set it in the closet beside the 11-48 he sold me last time.

I'll say one thing for Monte..he may sell ya something for twice the price, but he wouldn't beg or borrow a nickle from ya.

Need to take him a case of beer.

Chas

JJIII
02-17-2010, 06:14 PM
"A friend in need is a friend indeed."

You're a good man Charlie Brown. :)

Charles
02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
"A friend in need is a friend indeed."

You're a good man Charlie Brown. :)

Hey, buddy.

Want a sweet deal on a Keen Kutter 20? I'll toss in some 16 ga. shells.

Chas

finnbow
02-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Keen Kutter isn't all that collectible anyway, is it? It might work pretty well to keep the tree rats off of the bird feeder though.

JJIII
02-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey, buddy.

Want a sweet deal on a Keen Kutter 20? I'll toss in some 16 ga. shells.

Chas

No... but thanks for the offer. I'm all gunned up at he moment.

Charles
02-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Keen Kutter isn't all that collectible anyway, is it? It might work pretty well to keep the tree rats off of the bird feeder though.

If it were is the condition I was told, it would at least be a novelty. I think a KK20 in pristine condition would be well worth $100, as is my Iver Johnson Champion 16 in pristine condition with the original box marked $7.50 is.

Damn tree rats. They've become unbearable. Climbing on the screens on my screened in porch, starting to tear up the house.

If they weren't starving, I'd start live trapping them and moving them to the woods. Cleaned them out a couple of years ago, the time has come to do it again.

And using a scattergun on squirrels is considered cheating in my circle. If you can't take them with a .22 with a head shot, people quit talking to you.

Unless you happen to be using a revolver, then they cut you some slack.

But I just don't hunt anymore. I'd rather ride around in a boat pulling crawler harnesses. Drinking beer.

Chas

finnbow
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
And using a scattergun on squirrels is considered cheating in my circle. If you can't take them with a .22 with a head shot, people quit talking to you.

Unless you happen to be using a revolver, then they cut you some slack.

But I just don't hunt anymore. I'd rather ride around in a boat pulling crawler harnesses. Drinking beer.

Chas

If and when necessary, my tree rat extermination tool is a scope-mounted .177 Gamo pellet rifle (1000 fps). These spring piston rifles are quite accurate, though a bit tricky to shoot with their odd reverse recoil. Dragging crawler harnesses, eh? Are you walleye fishing down in your neck of the woods or do you use crawler harnesses for other species?

Charles
02-17-2010, 08:34 PM
If and when necessary, my tree rat extermination tool is a scope-mounted .177 Gamo pellet rifle (1000 fps). These spring piston rifles are quite accurate, though a bit tricky to shoot with their odd reverse recoil. Dragging crawler harnesses, eh? Are you walleye fishing down in your neck of the woods or do you use crawler harnesses for other species?

As I live a half of a block form the historic courthouse here in the capitol city, I'm afraid a scoped 1000 fps air gun is out of the question. Although I have been lusting after the newer Ruger variant (RWS manufacture, for cheap @ Cheaper Than Dirt). If I had one, I'd probably use it...would most likely put my friends on the police department in an uncomfortable position. They can only ignore me for so long...I'll save my chips for something more important.

I do have a CO2 pistol, but it makes as much noise as a BB cap. Live trap for the squirrels, CO2 pistol when a dog sits under my bedroom window howling all night because little Rat Face is in heat. They don't come back...dogs are smart in that respect.

To more important things. Of course I'm drumming for walleyes with a crawler harness. Generally run a blaze orange blade with a #4 stinger with a crawler and a minnow on the 2nd hook. Use Okuma line counters w #14 braided. Need to step up to #20 braided on a couple of rods...my wife lost something last year pulling a Reef Runner deep diver that broke the line. Might have been an eye, big cat, who knows...first time anything has broke the braid. Might have been a bad spot in the line, but that fish went down hard and fast.

That's the third heartbreaker she's lost, other two times they broke the crawler harness.

Fish at Bull Shoals, I think the record 'eye down there is around 20 lbs.

Fishin', beer drinkin', in the middle of the night...what could be more fun. I take it you'll drown a worm?

Chas

PS: If the ain't biting on crawler harnesses with live bait, they ain't biting.

finnbow
02-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Fishin', beer drinkin', in the middle of the night...what could be more fun. I take it you'll drown a worm?

Chas

PS: If the ain't biting on crawler harnesses with live bait, they ain't biting.

I've done my share of walleye and muskie fishing in Northern Ontario over the past 30 years. However, I don't think I've ever caught a walleye in the USA, though I have caught a fair number of tiger muskies around here. Walleye waters are pretty limited in the mid Atlantic. Locally, it's mostly largemouth and smallmouth, bream and crappie as well as the Chesapeake fish (stripers, blues and croakers).

I do make it out to Idaho every couple of years to fly fish the South Fork of the Snake River - great fishing and fantastic scenery. I floated down the river shoulder-to-shoulder with Cheney a few years back. I had to hold my tongue about WMD's. I think his security detail may have given me three warning shots to the back of the head had I spouted off to the VP.

Charles
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
I've done my share of walleye and muskie fishing in Northern Ontario over the past 30 years. However, I don't think I've ever caught a walleye in the USA, though I have caught a fair number of tiger muskies around here. Walleye waters are pretty limited in the mid Atlantic. Locally, it's mostly largemouth and smallmouth, bream and crappie as well as the Chesapeake fish (stripers, blues and croakers).

I do make it out to Idaho every couple of years to fly fish the South Fork of the Snake River - great fishing and fantastic scenery. I floated down the river shoulder-to-shoulder with Cheney a few years back. I had to hold my tongue about WMD's. I think his security detail may have given me three warning shots to the back of the head had I spouted off to the VP.

By God, you will drown a worm!!!

My kinda guy!!!

To tell the truth, we go to Bull Shoals because the bite is tough. A 200 mile drive from where we're at, but once we get there, it's like being lost.

Half of the time, we're the only one's at the fishing camp. I've even seen a couple of days where we were the only boat on the lake...and it's a big lake. Especially when you're glassing it with 7x50's.

We go for privacy...a precious commodity in today's world. As far as I know, the last of the '50's era fishing camps anywhere.

Fishing really stinks, the PWT comes down here and bitches about what a tough bite is it.

But when you're heading back to the dock, running on GPS because the windshield is fogged up, at 5 MPH, only boat on the lake, it's as good as it gets.

Been going there for over 15 yrs, yet to see a boat cop or a game warden, much less the Coast Guard.

I like being left alone.

Chas

finnbow
02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
We go for privacy...I like being left alone.

Chas

That's also the appeal of bowhunting for me. It's dead quiet out in the woods without all the craziness of firearms season. Just me and the critters. I must admit, however, that as I get older getting the deer out of the woods, cut up and wrapped is a royal PITA. Fishing is much easier in this regard. A friend and I joke that we should go "catch and release" deer hunting with a paintball gun.:cool:

BlueStreak
02-18-2010, 01:42 AM
I have a ton of squirrels. But I live in the city. I guess a pellt gun would be okay, I dunno.

Dave

merrylander
02-18-2010, 07:13 AM
We lost all our squirrels a couple of years back, no idea what took them, now we have a few back againg.

finnbow
02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
We lost all our squirrels a couple of years back, no idea what took them, now we have a few back againg.

You do have some healthy looking cats, Rob.:) It seems they may be confusing mice and tree rats in their diet.

merrylander
02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Well they do chase the squirrels and birds, but so far have been having no luck - but we don't have mice any more.:D

Charles
02-18-2010, 01:36 PM

I wish I could send you about eight of them.

Chas