PDA

View Full Version : Kerry visit Russia to soothe relation.

Dondilion
05-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Kerry visits Russia to talk to the FM and Putin.

My take: I believe the administration has realized that China is the coming heavy weight and it is stupid to push Russia into China's arms.

China is the only power which can challenge the US economically on the world
stage. UK joining the Chinese bank despite US warning was a wake up.

It is time to give Putin options and realized that Ukraine was existential for him.

Boreas
05-12-2015, 08:10 PM
This is a good development, IMO. More and more, Russia becomes a natural ally of the US, really an essential ally. As we attempt to pull our fat out of the fire in the Middle East and Iran, we will need the intimate cooperation of Putin and Sergei Lavrov, Russia's brilliant foreign minister. The Russian intelligence services, the domestic FSP and foreign SVR, can be immeasurably helpful in combating terrorist networks about which they know a great deal. Remember that they alerted us to the danger posed by Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers who carried out the Boston Marathon bombing.

If we only hadn't blown up Ukraine, playing geopolitical chicken, we'd be so much farther ahead than we are against ISIS and in Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. To a large degree, I think that a great deal of the problems we're having globally are the work of Neocon leftovers from the Bush administration who are still wielding influence in the State Department and the Pentagon. Victoria Nuland comes to mind.

bobabode
05-12-2015, 09:00 PM
Talking is better than not.

Dondilion
05-12-2015, 10:06 PM
This is a good development, IMO. More and more, Russia becomes a natural ally of the US, really an essential ally. As we attempt to pull our fat out of the fire in the Middle East and Iran, we will need the intimate cooperation of Putin and Sergei Lavrov, Russia's brilliant foreign minister. The Russian intelligence services, the domestic FSP and foreign SVR, can be immeasurably helpful in combating terrorist networks about which they know a great deal. Remember that they alerted us to the danger posed by Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers who carried out the Boston Marathon bombing.

If we only hadn't blown up Ukraine, playing geopolitical chicken, we'd be so much farther ahead than we are against ISIS and in Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. To a large degree, I think that a great deal of the problems we're having globally are the work of Neocon leftovers from the Bush administration who are still wielding influence in the State Department and the Pentagon. Victoria Nuland comes to mind.

I understand this too. Additionally it is becoming clear that it is folly to hand over Russia to the Chinese. China is the one who is challenging us in every corner of the earth with soft power.

Boreas
05-12-2015, 10:31 PM
I understand this too. Additionally it is becoming clear that it is folly to hand over Russia to the Chinese. China is the one who is challenging us in every corner of the earth with soft power.

Meanwhile, we seem to have forgotten the efficacy, perhaps even the techniques, of soft power.

But partnerships of one kind or the other are inevitable between Russia and China. They share a huge common border after all and a somewhat parallel recent past. We would do well to recognize that and make the best that we can of it, working with one, the other or both as opportunities arise and interests coincide.

Oerets
05-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Buying time, this is all it will be!

Until the Powers that be, the Nation States in general see a Common Enemy like a Space Alien Invader or closer to reality Global Warming. Little will be accomplished with this Chicken $hit PR Talki T Talk BS. Even another evil like Hitler would be given plenty of rope before any any actions will be taken.

Cynical thou it maybe but history proves me to be right in the assertion negotiation will only give a temporary solution to a on going problem.

Barney

Dondilion
05-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Buying time, this is all it will be!

Until the Powers that be, the Nation States in general see a Common Enemy like a Space Alien Invader or closer to reality Global Warming. Little will be accomplished with this Chicken $hit PR Talki T Talk BS. Even another evil like Hitler would be given plenty of rope before any any actions will be taken.

Cynical thou it maybe but history proves me to be right in the assertion negotiation will only give a temporary solution to a on going problem.

Barney

Care to expand.

Oerets
05-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Care to expand.

Sure,

I feel even as much as we try until a great pressure is applied little will be accomplished. Getting a solid front takes a lot of common interests to agree on an action.

With Russia holding the spicket and the territory already I fear any concessions will be ones of little pain to the former USSR.

They know in the end no blood by US will be expended.

Barney

Dondilion
05-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Sure,

I feel even as much as we try until a great pressure is applied little will be accomplished. Getting a solid front takes a lot of common interests to agree on an action.

With Russia holding the spicket and the territory already I fear any concessions will be ones of little pain to the former USSR.

They know in the end no blood by US will be expended.

Barney

However I believe that the bankers feel that that issue is becoming secondary to their major concern China.

If we disconnect Russia from Europe (especially Germany) then the Russians
become very weak in their dealings with China and hence China power is
multiplied.

China is the only country with the potential to really challenge the western
bankers. Western bankers do not like when the world has options.

Dondilion
05-13-2015, 07:00 AM
Kerry urges Poroshenko not to reignite the conflict.

http://rt.com/news/257953-lavrov-kerry-sochi-talks/

BTW check out Lavrov's white Pobeda 1953 car...a real beauty.
One wonders why Russia's consumer manufacturing never took off.

Oerets
05-13-2015, 07:15 AM
China and Russia sign a deal to undercut the Dollar.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/5/20/russia-china-bankdeal.html

Barney

finnbow
05-13-2015, 07:22 AM
The Ruble or Yuan will never become a reserve currency, so this act is far more symbolic than meaningful IMO.

Dondilion
05-13-2015, 07:57 AM
The Ruble or Yuan will never become a reserve currency, so this act is far more symbolic than meaningful IMO.

True! It is also a way to say "We have options".

Boreas
05-13-2015, 09:14 AM
Kerry urges Poroshenko not to reignite the conflict.

http://rt.com/news/257953-lavrov-kerry-sochi-talks/

One has to wonder how much control Poroshenko has over his "Volunteer Battalions" or, for that matter, how much control he has over the other oligarchs.

Boreas
05-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Never say never.

The ruble is far too unstable to ever be a reserve currency, and likely to remain so, but the yuan is a different story. If China decided that a strong and stable yuan was more important than an artificially weak one, likely as they attempt to transition from an economy heavily dependent on exports to one where domestic consumption, especially of imported goods, become increasingly important.