PDA

View Full Version : Losing our Religion

finnbow
05-12-2015, 03:56 PM
WASHINGTON — The United States is a significantly less Christian country than it was seven years ago.

That's the top finding — one that will ricochet through American faith, culture and politics — in the Pew Research Center's newest report, "America's Changing Religious Landscape," released Tuesday.

This trend "is big, it's broad and it's everywhere," said Alan Cooperman, Pew's director of religion research.

Christianity still dominates American religious identity (70%), but the survey shows dramatic shifts as more people move out the doors of denominations, shedding spiritual connections along the way.

Atheists and agnostics have nearly doubled their share of the religious marketplace, and overall indifference to religion of any sort is rising as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/12/christians-drop-nones-soar-in-new-religion-portrait/27159533/

http://www.pewforum.org/files/2015/05/PF_15.05.05_RLS2_1_310px.png

Not good news for the GOP.

Dondilion
05-12-2015, 04:11 PM
How was this poll conducted?

noonereal
05-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Yeah I had seen this. Being from north jersey/nyc I did not realize that most Americans were insane. I never met an evangelical until I was 30. Talk about culture shock.

bobabode
05-12-2015, 07:15 PM
The Age of Reason marches on. ;)

merrylander
05-13-2015, 07:17 AM
Have people given up on religion or merely given up on on the Churches? We found years ago that the last place to find christian behaviour was in the Church.

I guess the woman who asked me had I found Jesus is still mad at me as I told her that I did not know he was lost.

nailer
05-13-2015, 01:08 PM
My favorite REM song.

IIRC the Born Again movement was at the forefront of the now waxing Christian upswing. The 70s weren't all that bad if you take away Nixon, disco, born againers... :)

sanford12
06-28-2015, 11:31 AM
My favorite REM song.

IIRC the Born Again movement was at the forefront of the now waxing Christian upswing. The 70s weren't all that bad if you take away Nixon, disco, born againers... :)Worse than reformed smokers.