PDA

View Full Version : In todays newspaper..............

BlueStreak
02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
The Virginia State Assembly has released the proposals for this years budget.
It is full of cuts, mainly from education and health services.

Education;
-$620,000,000 (House), -$133,000,000 (Senate).

Health;
-$211,000,000 (House), -$344,000,000 (Senate).

Also eliminates Fmr. Gov. Kaines plan to eliminate $1.9 billion in car tax relief payments. Now there's a convoluted mess--The local government taxes my vehicles, the state then uses my state income tax money to provide "relief" for the local tax. I refer you to Fmr. Gov. Jim Gilmore (R) for this silliness. His goal was to "eliminate the car tax". We now pay half of the tax twice a year vs. the whole tax once a year, and then the state provides car tax "relief"---with "state money".:confused:

Now, here's the fun part.

Virginia taxpayers will now be buying hunting and fishing licences for active duty military residing in our state. Now, granted, this is a relatively small thing. We have a lot of military people here and I'm sure that not all of the hunt/fish, and that it really isn't a huge sum of money. And, being former miltary, I certainly have no beef with our folks in uniform. But, it's the "Red State" mentality that makes me nuts. Draconian cuts to education, draconian cuts to Medicaid/Medicare, but we have to make sure our military folks hobbies are subsidized. You know, most military are beneath the age of fourty, healthy and most of all---employed. But we take money from education and the elderly, and give (some of it) to the ones who don't need it? In the form of a hobby subsidy?:confused:

Oh, and BTW, for those of you who think Republicans stand for lower taxes, there are no tax cuts included in the bill---none. Only cuts to health and education. Among other things.

Regards,
Dave

finnbow
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
In recent history, Virginia has had of run of very decent Democratic governors and a real loser from the GOP (Gilmore). For his incompetence, he was awarded the throne of the RNC for a couple of years, not to mention that he was drafted by some to run for President in 2008 (but luckily failed). He's a friggin' nimrod of the first order.

And now the Virginia GOP braintrust want to stick it to education and f_ck up arguably the best state college system in the nation. Way to go boys.

Boreas
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Virginia State Delegate Bob Marshall (R):

"The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children."

"In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest."

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220318

John

finnbow
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't know what it it is about Virginia.:confused: In some ways, it is among the most well governed/managed states with lots of smart people, excellent schools/universities, and a good business climate. However, the right wing in VA seems to pride itself in its nuttiness (Pat Robertson, Mike Ferris, Falwell) and ideological zealotry (George Allen (Makaka), Gilmore, and the GOP'ers in the Richmond statehouse). If the GOP in Virginia had its way, it would turn this wonderful state into the Mississippi of the East (and be proud of its accomplishment).

noonereal
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
"The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the first born of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children."

god bless

Charles
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Virginia State Delegate Bob Marshall (R):

"In the Old Testament, the first born of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest."

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20100222/NEWS01/2220318

John

I don't begrudge the man his beliefs, but he should be intelligent enough to keep them to himself.

Either he's a kook, or trolling for fundamentalist votes. I'd have a problem voting for him.

Chas

BlueStreak
02-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't begrudge the man his beliefs, but he should be intelligent enough to keep them to himself.

Either he's a kook, or trolling for fundamentalist votes. I'd have a problem voting for him.

Chas

He's a fundamentalist kook, trolling for votes from other fundamentalist kooks.
Trust me, in this state, he'll get lots of them.

Dave

BlueStreak
02-23-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't know what it it is about Virginia.:confused: In some ways, it is among the most well governed/managed states with lots of smart people, excellent schools/universities, and a good business climate. However, the right wing in VA seems to pride itself in its nuttiness (Pat Robertson, Mike Ferris, Falwell) and ideological zealotry (George Allen (Makaka), Gilmore, and the GOP'ers in the Richmond statehouse). If the GOP in Virginia had its way, it would turn this wonderful state into the Mississippi of the East (and be proud of its accomplishment).

You got that right. More like the Iran of the west. Only with Christians in lieu of Muslims, of course.

Dave

noonereal
02-23-2010, 07:39 AM
NY has an interesting way of saving money for the school system. Instead of cutting hours or pay they cut athletic programs. So in NY last year and this year, the kids play fewer games. The buses drivers lose work, the bus companies have reduced revenue.

The teachers do not lose any coaching pay for a short season.

NY now plays fewer BB games than any other state in the US for example.
This leaves the kids at a competitive disadvantage but since teachers come first it's all good. ;)

merrylander
02-23-2010, 07:51 AM
As the bumper sticker said "If you can read this, thank a teacher."

BlueStreak
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
NY has an interesting way of saving money for the school system. Instead of cutting hours or pay they cut athletic programs. So in NY last year and this year, the kids play fewer games. The buses drivers lose work, the bus companies have reduced revenue.

The teachers do not lose any coaching pay for a short season.

NY now plays fewer BB games than any other state in the US for example.
This leaves the kids at a competitive disadvantage but since teachers come first it's all good. ;)

To my mind academics should come first anyhow. Sports should be a peripheral activity. I believe far too much emphasis is put on it. We need a country run by smart, educated people, not just a bunch of Repu........Ooops, sorry. I mean----dumb jocks, who think the only thing that matters is competition and winning at all costs.:p

Dave

noonereal
02-23-2010, 11:55 AM
To my mind academics should come first anyhow. Sports should be a peripheral activity. I believe far too much emphasis is put on it. We need a country run by smart, educated people, not just a bunch of Repu........Ooops, sorry. I mean----dumb jocks, who think the only thing that matters is competition and winning at all costs.:p

Dave

http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?p=20672#post20672 :)

BlueStreak
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Read it and commented. I see your point and agree that sports are a positive thing. But I still believe academics should always be first and foremost, always and forever.

Regards,
Dave