PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry on Campus?

finnbow
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I heard about this on the radio, so I thought I'd Google the interweb and share it with you. Apparently, Colorado State University is considering initiating a policy to ban concealed carry of weapons on campus and they're catching a ration of sh_t (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13905048)over it.:confused: I'm a gun owner, hunter and target shooter (and also the father of a kid at Virginia Tech), but the idea of having concealed weapons on campus just gives me the willies. Gunpowder, raging hormones and alcohol don't mix very well, IMO.

Fast_Eddie
02-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Wild, wild west. It's a little crazy out here.

Boreas
02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
This is such a bad, bad idea that I'm surprised it's being allowed anywhere.

I mean this is such stereotypical right wing response, just like tax cuts. The country is broke and up to its eyeballs in debt, not least because Republicans have given their rich friends tax cut after tax cut. Their solution for curing the problems they've created is more tax cuts.

The country has a growing problem with gun violence which has been exacerbated by the concerted efforts of the right wing to resist any form of sane, responsible gun control, the repeal of the assault weapons ban being a case in point. Now they want to have us believe that the way to reduce gun violence is to have more of us capable of inflicting it.

Fucking idiots!

John

Charles
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
If they went to the trouble to get a CCW permit, I don't have a problem with it.

Chas

noonereal
02-22-2010, 05:02 PM
My little girl will be at no school that allows such a thing.

I understand your point Chas but I have seen to much harm done by folks that are otherwise good old law abiding Americas.

Charles
02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
My little girl will be at no school that allows such a thing.

I understand your point Chas but I have seen to much harm done by folks that are otherwise good old law abiding Americas.

And I can see your point.

Allow me to offer a compromise.

As we live in a world which is lousy full of firearms, criminals, and idiots...why not have mandatory firearms training? Not so much range time, but instructions as to the legal implications of owning a firearm, and the responsibilities that go with it. Demystify them.

Watching T. J. Hooker on teevee ain't exactly firearms training. People need to understand that the LAST thing they want to do is pull a piece on another human.

Wise people up and we'll have less problems. I even picked up a few points when I got a CCW.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
As we live in a world which is lousy full of firearms, criminals, and idiots...why not have mandatory firearms training? Not so much range time, but instructions as to the legal implications of owning a firearm, and the responsibilities that go with it. Demystify them.

I just don't buy this. We shouldn't settle for a country that requires you arm yourself. Socialized law enforcement is a good thing. If we need more cops, we can pay some taxes and hire them. If we need more gun control to keep us from being a world lousy full of firearms we can pass smart laws. I have no interest in being my family's police force. I can't be with my kids 24 hours a day. If things are that bad, we're doing something wrong. Mandating gun training is a poor solution.

noonereal
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Certainly firearms training is a very good thing but I don't know how much it would help after two six packs and being dumped by your girlfriend at 19.

Charles
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Be better than no training.

As to more cops...when you're driving down the road, and you see a cop, do you suddenly feel safer?

Even my cop buddies and the DA say no.

Besides, counting on the cops to be there when you desperately need them is kind of like counting on winning the lottery to take care of your retirement. You may not like the nature of things, but it IS the nature of things, realistically.

Chas

noonereal
02-22-2010, 06:23 PM
we have been to this dance before so I want get up this time but although caring a gun may make you feel safer it's just not the case.

finnbow
02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm an avid gun owner, hunter and shooter and have been for over 40 years. I've earned the NRA Distinguished Expert medal, taught NRA Hunter Safety as well as Rifle and Shotgun Shooting merit badge to Boy Scouts. That said, I somehow still don't get the need to carry a concealed weapon for personal protection and I've lived in downtown Washington and New Orleans. And the idea of college kids with pistols on campus scares me. Even with a Concealed Carry permit, the kid is going to put his gun down in his dorm room and some miscreant (or untrained, curious fellow) is going to pick it up, fondle it, or steal it.

My son has a 12 gauge shotgun at school for skeet shooting/bird hunting, but he keeps it in the campus armory even though he lives in an apartment off-campus and could legally keep it the apartment (BTW, a shotgun is a far better defense weapon than any pistol). He's simply uncomfortable (and so am I) with him having it in the apartment with roommates/visitors around. I think any "protection" he loses by not having it in the apartment is more than made up for by the risk of not having it around a bunch of untrained (and sometimes unknown) kids.

One of my best friends in Virginia has CCW permit and carries wherever he goes. Even though I grew up with guns and shoot all the time, I admit to some level of discomfort chumming around with somebody I know and trust carrying. Can't say exactly why, just sayin'.

d-ray657
02-22-2010, 10:28 PM
And I can see your point.

Allow me to offer a compromise.

Watching T. J. Hooker on teevee ain't exactly firearms training. People need to understand that the LAST thing they want to do is pull a piece on another human.

Wise people up and we'll have less problems. I even picked up a few points when I got a CCW.

Chas

T.J. Hooker? I sounds like it's been longer since you watched TV than it has since I watched it. Shatner's been in at least one other series since then.

Regards,

D-Ray

hillbilly
02-22-2010, 11:18 PM
This is such a bad, bad idea that I'm surprised it's being allowed anywhere.

I mean this is such stereotypical right wing response, just like tax cuts. The country is broke and up to its eyeballs in debt, not least because Republicans have given their rich friends tax cut after tax cut. Their solution for curing the problems they've created is more tax cuts.

The country has a growing problem with gun violence which has been exacerbated by the concerted efforts of the right wing to resist any form of sane, responsible gun control, the repeal of the assault weapons ban being a case in point. Now they want to have us believe that the way to reduce gun violence is to have more of us capable of inflicting it.

Fucking idiots!

John

Hate to say it, but only a fool would pull a gun on someone if he knew others had heat as well. Just think about it. If deer could shoot back .. less of us would hunt.

Boreas
02-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Hate to say it, but only a fool would pull a gun on someone if he knew others had heat as well. Just think about it. If deer could shoot back .. less of us would hunt.

So, you think these school shooters were behaving rationally?

John

hillbilly
02-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Certainly firearms training is a very good thing but I don't know how much it would help after two six packs and being dumped by your girlfriend at 19.

Isn't drinking illegal at 19? Still breaking the law.

BlueStreak
02-23-2010, 01:12 AM

This brought to mind a fond childhood memory. My oldest sister, Sue, was in the process of leaving her deerhunting redneck husband. My mother called on my two oldest brothers and I to go and get her, because she was afraid for Sues safety. When we arrived her husband, Mike, was drunk and ranting that if we got too close to the house he would shoot. My brother John, a combat Vietnam Veteran, strolled right up to the door, pistol in hand, and said, "Ever shoot at anything that shoots back, dumbass? I have. I've killed so many people I lost count. But I'm still here. Go ahead, go get your gun and give it a whirl."

I'll never forget that. It was totally badass.

Dave

hillbilly
02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
This brought to mind a fond childhood memory. My oldest sister, Sue, was in the process of leaving her deerhunting redneck husband. My mother called on my two oldest brothers and I to go and get her, because she was afraid for Sues safety. When we arrived her husband, Mike, was drunk and ranting that if we got too close to the house he would shoot. My brother John, a combat Vietnam Veteran, strolled right up to the door, pistol in hand, and said, "Ever shoot at anything that shoots back, dumbass? I have. I've killed so many people I lost count. But I'm still here. Go ahead, go get your gun and give it a whirl."

I'll never forget that. It was totally badass.

Dave

Exactly.

The guy wasn't so badass once he met Brave, Trained & Loaded. :)

noonereal
02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
When we arrived her husband, Mike, was drunk and ranting that if we got too close to the house he would shoot.

I have seen this ritual repeated numerous times in my life. And sometimes the trigger is indeed pulled and friends or family wind up dead.

Charles
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
T.J. Hooker? I sounds like it's been longer since you watched TV than it has since I watched it. Shatner's been in at least one other series since then.

Regards,

D-Ray

No kidding?

I'll give him credit for one thing. T. J. Hooker was a better role model than the A-Team. Excluding George Peppard.

He looked pretty cool with them sap gloves and the stogie. Had he been bald, a lot fatter, and wore a baggy green uniform, he would have reminded me of Captain Bogey down at the joint.

I realize a job is better than no job, but what do you bet that Shatner and Peppard both cried themselves to sleep every night in those days?

Chas

BlueStreak
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
fuck it shoot'em all

Charles
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Shatner is so full of himself I doubt if he's EVER cried over something like that. Don't get me wrong, tho-I LOVE the guy, been an "Original series" trekkie for nigh on to 40 years now. I loved Shatner as The Big Giant Head on "3rd Rock From The Sun". Suited him PERFECTLY...

Always got a kick out of them Star Track shows.

" To boldly go where no one has gone before"...then shove a Proton torpedo up sombody's tailpipe. At least we didn't hand all of these "strange new beings" a 1040.

Maybe the NCC-Bill Collector took care of those chores. Come to think of it, Spock would have made one hell of a revenooer.

Wouldn't bat an eye when he hit 'em for back taxes.

Chas