PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Definition of Fascism

donquixote99
06-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Interesting because it defines it in terms of behavior, not of doctrine, which tends to be in large part faked-up and inconsistent.

"...a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victimhood, and by compensatory cultures of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion."

Robert O. Paxton. Quoted in Christopher Hedges, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America, p. 10.

The quote of course goes in this topic because Hedges' big point is that the dominionist Christians are fascists.

Boreas
06-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Interesting because it defines it in terms of behavior, not of doctrine, which tends to be in large part faked-up and inconsistent.

Robert O. Paxton. Quoted in Christopher Hedges, American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America, p. 10.

The quote of course goes in this topic because Hedges' big point is that the dominionist Christians are fascists.

Hedges has a Masters in Divinity from Harvard so his views on the subject of religion are worthy of consideration. Paxton is an expert on fascism, particularly as practiced in Europe you-know-when but I don't really know anything about him.

donquixote99
06-16-2015, 03:29 PM
I note that Law Dawg has hit just about every one of Paxton's points....

Boreas
06-16-2015, 06:37 PM
I note that Law Dawg has hit just about every one of Paxton's points....

They pretty much all do.

Pio1980
06-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Describes the rise of the German Nazis pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dondilion
06-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Describes the rise of the German Nazis pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It tries to define Fascism in terms of Nazi Germany and end up crowding the essentials...excessive nationalism accompanied with blatant and violent disregard for democratic rights.