Finally, an intelligent post here :)

Pete

merrylander
02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Finally, an intelligent post here :)

Pete

Fast_Eddie
02-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Yup. But knowing you have a problem is the first step, I suppose. I'm really trying to be less full of shit. Not sure if I'm any better or not. I suspect if I wasn't full of shit I wouldn't feel the need to come here and tell you all what I think.

Charles
02-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Yup. But knowing you have a problem is the first step, I suppose. I'm really trying to be less full of shit. Not sure if I'm any better or not. I suspect if I wasn't full of shit I wouldn't feel the need to come here and tell you all what I think.

Change the things that you can, and accept the things that you can't.

I'm working on the latter.

Chas

Boreas
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
...An' have the wisdom to know the difference. THAT'S the tough one...

Nah, I just reckon I can't change shit and get on with being a total asshole.

John

finnbow
02-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Just how is it you were able to recognize from a couple of hundred miles away that I'm full of shit? Most people have to meet me to come away with that conclusion.

merrylander
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Since my diet has me eating bran flakes for breakfast every day I know I am not, believe me that stuff works.

Charles
02-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Since my diet has me eating bran flakes for breakfast every day I know I am not, believe me that stuff works.

Kraut has the same effect.

Chas

merrylander
02-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Yeah but somehow it does not strike me as breakfast food.

noonereal
02-25-2010, 07:35 AM

well if you have it with a beer it is ;)

merrylander
02-25-2010, 08:58 AM
And those little Nurnburg sausages.

piece-itpete
02-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Lmao!!

Pete

Charles
02-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Being app. 50% German and 50% Scot/Irish, ain't much I can't eat, or drink, for breakfast. Prefer ham and eggs, myself.

Besides, good German kraut can be eaten anytime. But I'm sure that everyone knows what the German's use to make kraut.

Chas

Charles
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
And those little Nurnburg sausages.

Sgt. Morris told me that whenever he entered Germany at the end of WWII, the sausage factory's were running wide open.

The German's on my mother's side of the changed their name from Bauer to Bower, and my Grandfather was a member of the "La Société des Quarante Hommes et Huit Chevaux," AKA 40&8.

Long time ago, the Great War.

Chas

merrylander
02-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Had sausages, saurkraut, small boiled potatoes and beer in a Nurnberg rathskellar years back, great food. You need all the calories to give you strength to pick up those one litre steins.:D

Fast_Eddie
02-26-2010, 09:07 AM
We used to have this salesman who came to see us from Mead Paper Co. in Dayton, & he'd bring down mets & brats from Hamilton, Ohio. Lotsa Germans live in that area-Apparently the Cincinnati/Dayton area closely resembles Rhineland...Anyhow, Man, they were good...One variety was kinda grey-colored, & the other was sorta white...They had no preservatives, so they had to be eaten pretty quick...But what I wouldn't give for some of 'em now !

I grew up in Cincinnati. Yup, a lot of German Americans called that area home. Has a great cultural tradition that survives to this day. Funny, mom took some grad classes in Dayton and we would drive her up there on Saturdays for classes. Seems I remember Mead had a huge building that was a big part of the skyline. One of those fragments of a childhood memory.

Don't remember the brand of those mets and brats do you? My family is still in Cincinnati. If they're still in business I'd love to look them up.

Take care,

Ed

merrylander
02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
The greyish ones would probably be bratwurst, the white was most likely wiesswurst.

Fast_Eddie
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
My grandad was from Dayton, they later built part of Wright-Pat on the farm where he grew up...He knew Wilbur & Orville, bought bicycles from them.

Wow, that's cool. The museum at Wright Pat is realy neat.

Boreas
02-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I never knew the brand of 'em...The guy who brought 'em is long since gone now, too, IIRC, he got 'em at some little meat shop there in Hamilton or Dayton. Its been a good 25 years ago. He'd come to town, & take them straightaway to a local restaurant & then we'd have us a regular FEAST for lunch...

I think Rob's probably right about the types of wurst. Those are the ones that came to mind when you originally mentioned them. They may not actually be a particular brand. The best stuff, like the stuff I used to buy in Maryland, was hand-ground and hand-stuffed by a local butcher. Mmmmmm.....

One of my favorite places to race was Road America in Elkhart Lakes, WI. Every time there was a big race meeting there the local VFW did the food. They had fire roasted corn on the cob, German potato salad and the best damned grilled wurst (brat & weiss) ever.

Yeah, the "Mead" building was one of the biggest buildings in Dayton, IIRC...It kinda looked outta place.

It's odd that Mead should come up just now. After mentioning my racing experience in another thread yesterday I got a little bit of a nostalgia attack so I started trying to track down a few old racing buds. Chip Mead was one of them. Turns out the poor guy is dead, killed in a light aircraft accident. Too bad. A really good guy.

If it had been in Cincinnati, it would not have stuck out quite so badly..My grandad was from Dayton, they later built part of Wright-Pat on the farm where he grew up...He knew Wilbur & Orville, bought bicycles from them.

Now, that's very cool! Bet you hope that Wright bicycle was still around!

John