PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the peace

Charles
02-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Does anyone else find this as disturbing as I do?

Chas

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100227/NEWS01/2270314/1060/NEWS01

Boreas
02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know. How disturbing do you find it? ;)

Yeah, I find it very disturbing. I think the Sheriff is right to say they're not a militia. They're vigilantes.

This country is coming apart at the seams.

John

Charles
02-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't know. How disturbing do you find it? ;)

Yeah, I find it very disturbing. I think the Sheriff is right to say they're not a militia. They're vigilantes.

This country is coming apart at the seams.

John

Well, sheriff's are pretty much God in their own counties. But the thought of any of them starting their own private army, complete with a "War Wagon" with a mounted .50 scares the Hell out of me.

Around here, the sheriff and his deputies are classified as "Peace Officers". I don't think they need a .50 to keep the peace.

I also suspect this this guy won't be sheriff after the next election, at least I would hope not.

Chas

Boreas
02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I also suspect this this guy won't be sheriff after the next election, at least I would hope not.

Chas

I dunno. Northwestern Loozeanna's a pretty weird place.

John

BlueStreak
02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I think it's bizarre.

Do people really think something that bad is coming? I'm serious now.
I mean, despite all of our problems, I still think this is the greatest place on earth to live and that we can overcome whatever adversity lies ahead without violence. WTF? I have things I'm disappointed about, and I do worry about what the future holds, but....."The End of Times"? Times are hard and a lot of people are unemployed and suffering, but the answer is to start shooting? WTF is going on in their minds? I could be the next to hit the unemployment line, but I fail to see how spraying lead is going to solve anything.

What in the hell is going on, guys?

Dave

Grumpy
02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
I think it's bizarre.

I mean, despite all of our problems, I still think this is the greatest place on earth to live and that we can overcome whatever adversity lies ahead without violence. WTF? I have things I'm disappointed about, and I do worry about what the future holds, but....."The End of Times"? Times are hard and a lot of people are unemployed and suffering, but the answer is to start shooting? WTF is going on in their minds? I could be the next to hit the unemployment line, but I fail to see how spraying lead is going to solve anything.

Dave

Some people do. Hell drive through the streets of Detroit and tell me how safe you feel.

BlueStreak
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Then we have the "Oath Keepers" which appears to be a group attempting to infiltrate our police and emergency services and subvert the authority of the legitimate leaders of those institutions. Sorry, but I would rather have "Big Government" than live in a nation full of vigilante groups who make their own rules and play judge, jury and executioner as they damn well see fit. One could argue that the first is oppressive, but to my mind, the second is completely insane. Nothing short of Anarchy.

Dave

BlueStreak
02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Some people do. Hell drive through the streets of Detroit and tell me how safe you feel.

My father worked for Chrysler. Once in the 1970s, we had to go to Detroit, and Pops got lost. We ended up in a very shitty place. It was scary as hell then. I can only imagine what you've got there now. But, I have heard that it's mostly abandoned now?

Dave

Charles
02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I think it's bizarre.

Dave

I don't think the shooting's gonna start, but I look at things through my eyes.

Anyway, I ain't gonna start shooting. I just hope the fuzz don't start shooting up the A&P with a .50 because some slob stole a loaf of bread.

But I tend to agree, things are getting more bizarre by the day.

Chas

Boreas
02-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I think it's bizarre.

Dave

I've said this before but, really, radical right wing Christians have been directing their followers to join the military and police for a long time now. It's all about the Army of Light versus the Army of Darkness. These people are very serious about this stuff. Crazy but serious.

Neo-Nazis and white supremacists have been doing the same thing for different reasons for a while too but that's another story.

John

BlueStreak
02-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I've said this before but, really, radical right wing Christians have been directing their followers to join the military and police for a long time now. It's all about the Army of Light versus the Army of Darkness. These people are very serious about this stuff. Crazy but serious.

Neo-Nazis and white supremacists have been doing the same thing for different reasons for a while too but that's another story.

John

Oh, I know. Believe me, I do. I've met some of these assholes. If you think the federal government is trying to run your life, just let these pricks gain any real power. Like my Brother says, "Christian Taliban. Didn't go to church this morning? POW! You're dead. Did I just catch you staring at your neighbors tits? POW! You're dead. Is that the Demon Liquor I smell? POW! You're Dead........."

Dave

Charles
02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
A .50 M2 Browning....Mmmmmm.....(Homer Simpson glassy-eyed donut drool...) I have seen the results of what one of these things can do. There was a video put out about 20-25 years ago called "Deadly Weapons", & the guy who made it shot a "Ma Deuce" into a 1973 GM mid-size sedan. He had a 1" thick steel plate in the back seat. The Nifty Fifty tore thru the door like paper, thru the inch plate, & thru the other side door as easy as it punched thru the 1st. You MIGHT have a chance if you were in a concrete & steel reinforced modern commercial building-maybe- but a car body offers no protection at all. The car's motor block might offer some protection, but after the first shot hits the block, it's gonna be toast, too, so there. There are guys who have converted WW1 Boyes British anti-tank rifles to shoot the Fifty-and they do what is called "Mountain Pounding". The Boyes rifle looks like any other bolt-action rifle-Just a HELLUVA lot bigger. You get in the prone position on yr belly to shoot it, & it'll give you a rather strong push backwards. They put a target on top of a mountain or knoll, get a measured mile away, & shoot at their target. But yeah, for sheriff's dept defensive use, Nifty Fifties are a little, well, uhh, "Out there". Just a mite.

Understand those Boyes rifles will damn near dislocate your shoulder. I also understand that Barrett and a few others make a more refined .50 that won't knock the fillings out of your teeth.

Way too much for me, I don't even like to fire a .30-06.

Chas

Charles
02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Oh, I know. Believe me, I do. I've met some of these assholes. If you think the federal government is trying to run your life, just let these pricks gain any real power. Like my Brother says, "Christian Taliban. Didn't go to church this morning? POW! You're dead. Did I just catch you staring at your neighbors tits? POW! You're dead. Is that the Demon Liquor I smell? POW! You're Dead........."

Dave

Come on, I know there are a few right wing kooks out there, but it's no where as bad as you let on.

The one's that I know who go to church do it for appearance, or to appease the old lady, or something like that. If you've got a jug, they're offended if you don't at least offer them a drink. And if the caught you looking at your neighbor's tits, they'd share their field glasses with ya.

The vast majority of them are just like you or me. They're good people.

Bearing that in mind, perhaps I should remove "me" from the equation.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
02-28-2010, 12:03 AM
I don't think the shooting's gonna start, but I look at things through my eyes.

Anyway, I ain't gonna start shooting. I just hope the fuzz don't start shooting up the A&P with a .50 because some slob stole a loaf of bread.

But I tend to agree, things are getting more bizarre by the day.

Chas

Chas, I swear you're a liberal. You just don't realize it.

BlueStreak
02-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Come on, I know there are a few right wing kooks out there, but it's no where as bad as you let on.

The one's that I know who go to church do it for appearance, or to appease the old lady, or something like that. If you've got a jug, they're offended if you don't at least offer them a drink. And if the caught you looking at your neighbor's tits, they'd share their field glasses with ya.

The vast majority of them are just like you or me. They're good people.

Bearing that in mind, perhaps I should remove "me" from the equation.

Chas

I do tend to embellish a bit...........;)

Dave

merrylander
02-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Probably not a lot different than back in the thirties, they just get better media coverage now. I was reading this morning where the FBI has solved all but about five of the cases of civil rights activists being murdered. There will be few if any prosecutions because of the passage of time and the killers having died.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. You are just as dead from a .38 through the heart as from a .50.

Charles
02-28-2010, 09:28 AM
...Another thing to keep in mind is that Nifty Fifty guns & associated paraphenalia are a pretty serious "Bucks-Up" proposition. The LEAST you can get into one is about $2500, & that'll get you somethin' that goes "Bang !". Most of these guys "Roll their Own" ammo, they can have $10-20 a PIECE in one bullet/shell. After you spend $2500 for yer "Banger", then you'll send it to a guy like Rob, EchoWars, or Terry, except they work magic w/guns, who'll massage it, & get it "On the paper", & you'll likely have another $1500-2500 in it, not to mention the super-duper scope & mount, which could be another $2K, anyhow. The 1982 Impala mouth-breathers, hell, everything they have on earth ain't worth hardly the scope...Even if you put a premium on their younger teenage daughters...Mbwahahahaha...

I suppose to each his own, but the thoughts of sighting one of those blasters in at a mile sounds like an exercise in self abuse to me. You would probably have to take a laptop loaded with ballistic tables and one hell of a rangefinder to have any chance of hitting anything at that range...or at least hitting what you're aiming at. Need a pretty good backstop too.

Think I'll just stick with my crummy .17HMR. On a nice day you can take pot shots at the standard aluminum beverage container out to a couple of hundred yards, fairly cheap to shoot, quiet, and you can be your own spotter.

That's about all of the fun I can stand.

Chas

merrylander
02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I recall an incident from when my brother was in the RCAF. They had a gun turret from a Bolton Paul Defiant used for training. This turret mounted four .30 cal machine guns and had a tendency to elevate the guns while firing. Apparently one guy was fooling around with this while it was still in the hanger. He took out a major section of one wall and the roof.

BlueStreak
02-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Yeah, you gotta really WANT one of those things...Most of the guys that have 'em are really, really into 'em, & their fraternity is pretty arcane & esoteric. They're more into seeing if they can get 2 shots thru one hole at a mile than they are at wanting to take over the world...I looked into getting a Barrett semi-auto-Used, that had been in a fire-and the shop wanted $3500 for it, as is, where-was. Gulp. Decided I didn't need one THAT bad...

Maybe it's just a bunch of old boys using the tax payers money to get a kick ass gun they always wanted----but couldn't afford? I'm thinkin' mebby so.:rolleyes:

Dave

finnbow
02-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Having spent a month in Bossier City in one week, I'd say there's not much there to protect. As for forming a vigilante posse armed with a .50 BMG, that's just scary
- except for those yahoos probably couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it even if they were inside it.

Boreas
02-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Mexican Special Forces, front rank carrying the Barret M-82A1.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Barret_.50_Cal_Mexican_special_forces.jpg/800px-Barret_.50_Cal_Mexican_special_forces.jpg

John

merrylander
02-28-2010, 01:06 PM
From their expressions I figure the two guys in the middle are thinking "Go ahead, make my day."

Boreas
02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
From their expressions I figure the two guys in the middle are thinking "Go ahead, make my day."

Yeah, there's a number of guys putting on their game faces in that photo.

¿Quien es mas macho?

John

JJIII
02-28-2010, 03:20 PM
"gettin' kicked like a mule like that just doesn't hold the appeal like it once did"

I heard that! :D

Charles
02-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Those Bad Bois weigh nigh on to 20-25 lbs, anyway, & as you can see, they're kinda, well, "Unwieldy". I suppose you COULD fire one from yr shoulder, if you HAD to, but I don't think you'd wanna do it too many times. Yr shoulder would be about 17 shades of black 'n' blue, & be sore as hell the next several days... The damndest round I ever fired was a 460 Weatherby Magnum, I kinda knew what was comin', I "Leaned" into it, & stuck it as firmly into my shoulder as I could...Result ? It "Rared" me back on one foot-I'm 6' tall & was then prolly 275 lbs, felt like a mule kicked me-Hard. The Nifty Fifty is, if memory serves, a good 2X as powerful as the 460...An' the 460 was all I wanted, & then some. Plus, this was 20-25 yrs ago when I shot that feckin' blunderbuss, I'm almost 53 now, & gettin' kicked like a mule like that just doesn't hold the appeal like it once did...Another thing, your damn ears will ring til the next day after touching off one of these loudenboomers....THAT ain't much fun, either. Neither is pissin' off dear ol' Unca Arthur & Aunt Bersie-the Itises-and a shock to yr system WILL get yr favorite aunt 'n' uncle riled...

A .460 WM?

Didn't know they wuz any pachyderms in Tennessee.

Chas

Charles
02-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Don't know about that, but the feller all of the way to the left looks like his hemorrhoids are flaring up.

Chas

Fast_Eddie
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Those Bad Bois weigh nigh on to 20-25 lbs,

Pft. Wimps. Back before CCDs, a tube Betacam weighed over 30 lbs. They sure as hell carried the things on their shoulders all day long too. Took good pictures. Once ran across one that had an SP back but a tube camera. looked dang nice. But not as good as the Ikegami 79D I shot with. That thing was an anchor too. Shot to a "portable" one inch deck. Sony was having a laugh calling that bastard portable.

finnbow
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I think the heaviest recoil I ever experienced was patterning magnum 12 gauge turkey loads from a bench. They held 2 oz. (~900 grains) of shot pushed by a maximum dram equivalent of powder. These loads were brutal off a bench and made my mid-caliber centerfire rifles seem downright tame.

merrylander
03-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Don't know about that, but the feller all of the way to the left looks like his hemorrhoids are flaring up.

Chas

I kind of wondered about him, figured maybe his shorts were twisted.

Charles
03-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I kind of wondered about him, figured maybe his shorts were twisted.

Nah, gotta be he hemorrhoids, I've had the same grimace a time or two.

Chas