PDA

View Full Version : Audiokarma question!

HarmanKardon
09-13-2015, 03:17 AM
On occasion of the last 9/11 anniversary (which is a tricky topic on AK, see below...) this question comes into my mind again:

What makes a topic a political one and what makes a topic a historical one? Vietnam is history for sure, and the Ukraine conflict is a current political event for sure. But what for example about 9/11? I think that the consequenses of these terror attacks extend into the present, which makes the historical topic a political? Right?

Now - are there some general rules helping me to estimate a topic as a historical or a political?

donquixote99
09-13-2015, 06:59 AM
If you have to ask, it's political.

I'd say the main danger signal is when folks start denouncing 'those people' as always happens in political discussions. If there's any sign of that, head out the back door before the cops show up.

BlueStreak
09-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Anymore a discussion about cottage cheese can turn political.

4-2-7
09-13-2015, 07:36 AM
Chris you can talk about historical or current events at AK. It's when people insert their political view as to why and how events took place, what should be done and who's fault it is.

4-2-7
09-13-2015, 07:42 AM
Anymore a discussion about cottage cheese can turn political.

Well if big government would keep the reglations down we can get cottage cheese a lot cheaper. So we can thank libirals for the high cost we pay for cottage cheese today along with Quantitative Easing from the FED reducing the value of the dollar.:D

HarmanKardon
09-13-2015, 08:28 AM
Chris you can talk about historical or current events at AK. It's when people insert their political view as to why and how events took place, what should be done and who's fault it is.

No, Dan, not really. Look - some topics are a priori too political, for example the current German migrant dilemma, to be discussed over there.

Where is the threshold where a current event turns into a historical event - that is sometimes not easily to realize. Probably when the AK mods are sure that an event is too old in order to trigger a bloodbath amongst AK members.

Dondilion
09-13-2015, 09:08 AM
9/11 and its aftermath involved controversial decisions by living politicians. This should automatically lead to political discussions.

JJIII
09-13-2015, 09:11 AM
When in doubt, PM a moderator and ask.

icenine
09-13-2015, 09:36 AM
History is an emotional topic. It cannot be viewed without a political filter. On AK if you mention Pearl Harbor there is always some idiot who will post that FDR was responsible for the attack. Then the thread gets shut down. You cannot even discuss red light cameras over there.

It is a good policy....if you want to see how politics can destroy an audio forum go over to the tape head place.

4-2-7
09-13-2015, 09:42 AM
No, Dan, not really. Look - some topics are a priori too political, for example the current German migrant dilemma, to be discussed over there.

Where is the threshold where a current event turns into a historical event - that is sometimes not easily to realize. Probably when the AK mods are sure that an event is too old in order to trigger a bloodbath amongst AK members.

Yeah, you do have a point as I have gone into threads there and the topic posing a question I can't answered. I tend to just say I can't contribute as it would be political, in fact, there is a guy that does that all the time.

So we fight about Cables and IC and eat the rich for spending money on snake oil. :D

mpholland
09-13-2015, 09:54 AM
If a thread can turn political, it is likely emotion and human nature will take it there. Some topics just lead there, especially if they are controversial to begin with. If I was thinking of starting a 9/11 thread, it would have to be stated in the OP that it was a memorial thread only and no conversation about "cause" would be tolerated. Somewhat like a Pearl Harbor thread. Probably not all, but most threads of this nature seem to be somewhat trollish, just to see how far they can go before they get closed.

Boreas
09-13-2015, 09:57 AM
I made the mistake of politely correcting some historical mistakes in some teabagger's rant on AK and got a 10 day suspension. No warning, just bang! I don't know whether the 'bagger got suspended too but, if I had to guess, I'd go with "no". I suspect the mod who nailed me was probably a 'bagger too.

Nowadays I don't really have anything to say over there unless it's about audio..... but there's even politics in that. Just ask someone with any Chinese gear. ;)

HarmanKardon
09-13-2015, 01:03 PM
The mod was probably no lefitie... :rolleyes:

;)

4-2-7
09-13-2015, 01:50 PM
The mod was probably no lefitie... :rolleyes:

;)

That's what I was thinking......as that's what my paranoia projects;)

Just look at this site.:D

d-ray657
09-13-2015, 04:45 PM
History cannot be completely divorced from politics. For one thing, decisions having historic impact were often made by politicians. Moreover, everyone is familiar with the statement that history is written by the victors. And history can be manipulated; just look at what Texas has done with history books.

Politics are going to enter into most human endeavors. Any question regarding the way people are organized involves politics in some respect.

Something doesn't have to do with partisan politics to be political. One thing that is sometimes apparent on AK is conspicuous consumption. Engaging in conspicuous consumption is its own sort of political statement. At a minimum it represents a particular set of values - and isn't politics about resolving competing values?

Regards,

D-Ray

HarmanKardon
09-14-2015, 02:10 AM
Thank you very much for this helpful comment.

Grumpy
09-16-2015, 08:13 PM
If you have to ask, it's political.

I'd say the main danger signal is when folks start denouncing 'those people' as always happens in political discussions. If there's any sign of that, head out the back door before the cops show up.

Pretty much spot on. What is not political can be turned in the blink of an eye, hence the no politics rule.

Sides id rather hate someone cause they like solid state, or fords. Not because of their political views :p

4-2-7
09-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Yeah but I'd put my Ford up against any Chevy:D

bobabode
09-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Pretty much spot on. What is not political can be turned in the blink of an eye, hence the no politics rule.

Sides id rather hate someone cause they like solid state, or fords. Not because of their political views :p

My old Yooper gramps would call them's fighting words. He worked in old Henry's machine shop. ;)

4-2-7
09-16-2015, 08:40 PM
My old Yooper gramps would call them's fighting words. He worked in old Henry's machine shop. ;)

I kinda wish I lived back then although it was a struggle there was an honesty and a mans word ment something.

Grumpy
09-16-2015, 08:56 PM
I kinda wish I lived back then although it was a struggle there was an honesty and a mans word ment something.

Its still like that to some of us. Bet more then you think.

4-2-7
09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Its still like that to some of us. Bet more then you think.

Well I do know and can read people pretty good and your right on the most part, just the grumpy old man comming out of me.

BTW that Bubba guy accepted the record I had offered him, it took a bit of work in PMs though.;)