PDA

View Full Version : Bulgaria Blocks Russian Military Overfights

catswiththum
09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
I have some association; my wife is from Sofia.

Bulgaria upholds it's NATO role and has blocked Bulgarian airspace to Russian military flights into Syria - if you had told me in 1980 that would be possible, I would have laughed you out of the room.

I'm sure the U.S. made them some promises, but there had to be some heated exchanges - Bulgarians historically love the Russians, delivered them from the Ottoman Turks in the 19th century.

No fans of Putin, however, or the 50 years of communist rule.

Regardless, the big bear lives right across the street and the Foreign Minister said he will "deal with Bulgaria appropriately."

Bulgarians don't like to be bullied - gutsy move little country.

Boreas
09-14-2015, 03:14 PM
I have some association; my wife is from Sofia.

Bulgaria upholds it's NATO role and has blocked Bulgarian airspace to Russian military fights into Syria - if you had told me in 1980 that would be possible, I would have laughed you out of the room.

I'm sure the U.S. made them some promises, but there had to be some heated exchanges - Bulgarians historically love the Russians, delivered them from the Ottoman Turks in the 19th century.

No fans of Putin, however, or the 50 years of communist rule.

Regardless, the big bear lives right across the street and the Foreign Minister said he will "deal with Bulgaria appropriately."

Bulgarians don't like to bullied - gutsy move little country.

Certainly complicates the matter of supplying Assad and any Russian Spetsnaz troops in Syria. Using Bulgarian airspace is the most practical means of avoiding Turkish (NATO) airspace which would be the most direct route.

catswiththum
09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
Russians now have some advanced battle tanks and artillery surrounding the airfield, housing for more personnel going up. 3 additional ships headed for Tartus and reports coming out that fighter bombers and anti aircraft missiles en route.

The more things change, the more they don't.

Dondilion
09-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Russia policy in the ME area has been consistent.

Regime changes have been disastrous; Jihadists are the greater evil.

catswiththum
09-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Russia policy in the ME area has been consistent.

I agree - Russia has been a long time supporter of Assad.

I think there are a lot of factors involved in their recent increase in aid and the introduction of Russian manpower and offensive weapons.

Putin is pushing forward with a military presence in several spots around the globe and testing the waters - historically, a stagnant Russian economy has usually led to a show of strength and forays abroad to solidify nationalistic support and gain hard currency via weapons sales and (sometimes) confiscation.

Also, Putin was not going to be seen as sitting on his hands while NATO roamed around the ME at will. His problem is that Assad is a real monster, condemned by the U.N. for murdering/torturing tens of thousands of his own people, who have finally risen up against him.

Now that ISIS thugs and the Syrians fighting to remove Assad are trading territory weekly, I have no doubt the Russians are not there simply to help crush ISIS, but will help suppress the revolt against Assad.

He can not let it get out of hand - the Russian people will not put up with another manufactured Chechnya fiasco.