View Full Version : Audiokarma will be live shortly

Grumpy
10-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Go have a look see shortly.

Thanks
Grumpy

4-2-7
10-05-2015, 12:05 PM
That's great Dave hope everything went fine.

PS: I got the record this weekend I'll send payment asap.

Grumpy
10-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Hope you enjoy it.

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 12:13 PM
After more than 22400 posts it is time to say Goodbye to Audiokarma. It is a bit annoying that I subscribed until February 2020.

It is as I have just lost a good friend, and I almost get tears in my eyes.

JJIII
10-05-2015, 12:18 PM
After more than 22400 posts it is time to say Goodbye to Audiokarma. It is a bit annoying that I subscribed until February 2020.

Why would you do that? :confused:

icenine
10-05-2015, 12:21 PM

It was only down two days....what gives?

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 12:23 PM
I can't live with the totally confusing layout, the new look. The poor contrast is too stressful for my eyes. And I miss many small things like the member's list. I am glad that I got this little "reserve home" here for about two years.

I should not drink too much beer tonight, it would turn me into a really depressive mood. Holy shit - I feel pretty bad.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 12:25 PM

Chris, I'm stunned! What has caused this?

icenine
10-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Actually I like the new software.......Hoffman has used it on his site for a few years now.
I did not like it at first then but I came to like the ability to "like" a post and the alert notifications.

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Chris, I'm stunned! What has caused this?

See post #7.

JJIII
10-05-2015, 12:31 PM
I can't live with the totally confusing layout, the new look. The poor contrast is too stressful for my eyes. And I miss many small things like the member's list. I am glad that I got this little "reserve home" here for about two years.

I should not drink too much beer tonight, it would turn me into a really depressive mood. Holy shit - I feel pretty bad.

It has only been up a few hours. Give it a chance. You have a lot of time invested there, and many friends.

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the verbal hug.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 12:33 PM

Oh! I didn't realize it was live. I was trying to go directly to a form and the old URLs don't work. (Maybe that can be fixed with a redirect.)

I have to agree that the new GUI is really different and my immediate impressions aren't all that good... but, as Clint said (to the chair), "Improvise, adapt and overcome".

Hell, I figure If I can get used to Tar Baby and the Free Range Guerilla, I can get used to anything. :)

JJIII
10-05-2015, 12:34 PM
http://dl.glitter-graphics.com/pub/1104/1104291k783fy9rq2.jpg

Rajoo
10-05-2015, 12:36 PM
I visited the site just now and like the looks, bit more colorful .
Is the home page and forums page the same?

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 12:40 PM
I should perhaps stay off for a couple of days or so and then try again. But there are actually so many changes I can't stand that I think that this chapter in my life is definitely closed.

I try to explain it this way, my dear friends. There is this old pub you like so much. You like the furnishing, the murky light, the bar with the pals sitting on it, you even like the smell of the closet, because all of these things create an atmosphere of GEBORGENHEIT.

Now everything has changed. The pub is redecorated and renovated, and we got energy saving lamps instead of cosy carbon filament lamps... okay... blablabla... it's over for sure...

Pio1980
10-05-2015, 12:43 PM
No access thru Tapatalk yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 01:00 PM
You did not miss something, Steve. Just stay away.

Grumpy
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
No access thru Tapatalk yet.

You dont need tapatalk any longer. Xenforo, the new software, is much more mobile friendly.

Grumpy

Pio1980
10-05-2015, 01:07 PM
You dont need tapatalk any longer. Xenforo, the new software, is much more mobile friendly.

Grumpy

Good to know, but I do miss it's organizational abilities re combining new postings, participation, and such helping me keep up with the activity and responses.

Pio1980
10-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Just went in directly BTW, straight in, no problems.

icenine
10-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Everyone chill lol.

donquixote99
10-05-2015, 01:23 PM

But wait! I'll bet there are options to change the color scheme and contrast!

As for new layout, well, as we get older learning new stuff becomes more daunting, but 'once more into the breach, dear friend!'

Do not make decisions when depressed. Just wait, you'll feel better.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Okay, now I am pissed off! What happened to all the smileys???

4-2-7
10-05-2015, 01:30 PM

Chris I have not been to the site yet but you/we can change the viewing formate and see if it works better for you.

HarmanKardon
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM
Dan, this is nice.

Anyway - time for one or two fucking sleeping pills. What a crap. Oh my. Good Night!

icenine
10-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Okay, now I am pissed off! What happened to all the smileys???

Turn on your java script.

There are much better ones on the new software.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Turn on your java script.

There are much better ones on the new software.

This computer is one I just set up. I don't even have Java on it. Java has some serious vulnerabilities and I typically don't install it until I run into something I want to use that needs it.

AK does have 12 smileys that don't require Java. Are there more that are enabled if Java is installed. I suppose I should check one of my other computers, one that does have JRE on it.

icenine
10-05-2015, 02:00 PM
This computer is one I just set up. I don't even have Java on it. Java has some serious vulnerabilities and I typically don't install it until I run into something I want to use that needs it.

AK does have 12 smileys that don't require Java. Are there more that are enabled if Java is installed. I suppose I should check one of my other computers, one that does have JRE on it.

If that is indeed the issue...do you see the small smiley symbol above the reply box?

Boreas
10-05-2015, 02:22 PM
If that is indeed the issue...do you see the small smiley symbol above the reply box?

Yes, that's how I knew there were 12 smileys. I just installed Java on this particular computer and the most Firefox will allow is "Ask to Activate". When I click on the AK smiley icon now, I still get the same 12 smileys with no "More Smileys" as there was with the old software. Are you seeing something different?

icenine
10-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Yes, that's how I knew there were 12 smileys. I just installed Java on this particular computer and the most Firefox will allow is "Ask to Activate". When I click on the AK smiley icon now, I still get the same 12 smileys with no "More Smileys" as there was with the old software. Are you seeing something different?

Sorry John you are correct. I was assuming this version of the software would have the same amount of smileys as Steve Hoffman's site does.
He has a much larger selection of smileys. Maybe Grumpy and Co will add the other ones.

icenine
10-05-2015, 02:33 PM
if you guys don't see me on the Hoffman site it is because my id over there is different,
I'm TeaBagger1...the guy that posts about Styx and how good they sound on Yorx speakers lol.;)

Oerets
10-05-2015, 02:34 PM
What was wrong with the old AK?

Barney

4-2-7
10-05-2015, 02:39 PM
Dan, this is nice.

Anyway - time for one or two fucking sleeping pills. What a crap. Oh my. Good Night!

LOL
Chris I can't help but laugh sometimes as you get mellow dramatic. Get some rest buddy will see you at AK in the morning.

icenine
10-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Well Barney,

My reaction was the same at first over at the SteveHoffman.tv place. I hated it at first, but the like functions and imbedded youtube videos are cool. Plus if you quote the whole quote and picture of the original post is not replicated, which was very annoying on the old AK if you ask me.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 02:52 PM
What was wrong with the old AK?

Barney

It might be a "forced upgrade" from vBulletin. In other words, they might have let it be known that the older version PC was using will no longer be supported after a certain date, a little like Microsoft did with XP.

icenine
10-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Actually Xenforo was developed by people who worked for vBulletin but were angered over a management decision and thus left that organization so I do not think Xenforo has any connection to vBulletin. Xenforo was also sued by vBulletin but it looks like they survived.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Actually Xenforo was developed by people who worked for vBulletin but were angered over a management decision and thus left that organization so I do not think Xenforo has any connection to vBulletin. Xenforo was also sued by vBulletin but it looks like they survived.

Aha! I hadn't noticed the change! How many years ago did that happen? :p

icenine
10-05-2015, 03:30 PM
Aha! I hadn't noticed the change! How many years ago did that happen? :p

It is not that I am smart I just went to the Wikipedia entries for both companies. There is much more about the conflict on the entry for Xenforo than vBulletin.

Looks like one of the early lead developers of vBulletin decided to jump ship when his plans for an upgrade on vBulletin were squashed by the new owners of vBulletin called Internet Brands in 2009. It is complicated lol.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Sorry John you are correct. I was assuming this version of the software would have the same amount of smileys as Steve Hoffman's site does.
He has a much larger selection of smileys. Maybe Grumpy and Co will add the other ones.

Like this? http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/images/smilies/Want-Some.gif

We could definitely use that one here on PC! ;)

4-2-7
10-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Like this?

We could definitely use that one here on PC!

John here is a great site to get far more smillies, you just copy ULR and insert using image.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/catap.gif

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/compbash.gif

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/yousuck.gif

This one is good for the Hillary thread.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/drip.gif

Boreas
10-05-2015, 07:05 PM
John here is a great site to get far more smillies, you just copy ULR and insert using image.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/catap.gif

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/compbash.gif

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/yousuck.gif

This one is good for the Hillary thread.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/drip.gif

Too damn big!

But here's the site they come from.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm

4-2-7
10-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Too damn big!

But here's the site they come from.

http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/index.htm

Oh they have the normal small ones to, sorry I forgot the link.

I'll check out your link.

I just came back from AK and looking at this site my eyes already feel better. Right now it totally sucks over there for me.

Boreas
10-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Oh they have the normal small ones to, sorry I forgot the link.

I'll check out your link.

I just came back from AK and looking at this site my eyes already feel better. Right now it totally sucks over there for me.

The link in my post was fished out of one of your smileys. I just right cliched on one of them and then clicked on View Image Info.

HarmanKardon
10-06-2015, 02:06 AM
LOL
Chris I can't help but laugh sometimes as you get mellow dramatic. Get some rest buddy will see you at AK in the morning.

Mellow dramatic? Like a sissy? :rolleyes: Some here like me for that! :D

No Dan, there is no return to AK now. Perhaps in a couple of weeks.

4-2-7
10-06-2015, 02:24 AM
Mellow dramatic? Like a sissy? :rolleyes: Some here like me for that! :D

I got kinda used to it tonight, they do need to work some things out though. Lots of it works much better, for one thing you can post videos now.

I also want you to go here and get some of the tip. It's important for you to do so as your privacy setting are to exposed to the whole internet right now. Look for the post that will instruct you, post 10.

member solutions / finds on how to navigate the new AK forum software
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/member-solutions-finds-on-how-to-navigate-the-new-ak-forum-software.682559/#post-9109181

Grumpy
10-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Let me put it this way.

We had no choice but to get away from VBulletin. The site could NOT continue to stay the same without crashing and burning...

We could have kept AK down for weeks while performing all of the fixes, but choose to go live with it so you all would have a place to go sooner. We can always turn it back off.

Sorry you feel the way you do Chris. No one likes change but sometimes it leaves us no choice.

Grumpy

bobabode
10-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Works for me. Will the Back Alley Pub be coming back, Dave? Some people are asking. ;)

Pio1980
10-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I'll get used to it. Biggest problem was keeping Tapatalk from defaulting as the portal and then exiting AK.

Boreas
10-06-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm finding things a little difficult too. I can't seem to find a way to manage attachments and PMs seem to have disappeared.

Also, it's a bit too FaceBookey for my taste.

But I'll get used to it.

Boreas
10-06-2015, 07:05 PM

You sound just like me when I had to give up Windows XP. ;)

4-2-7
10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Let me put it this way.

We had no choice but to get away from VBulletin. The site could NOT continue to stay the same without crashing and burning...

We could have kept AK down for weeks while performing all of the fixes, but choose to go live with it so you all would have a place to go sooner. We can always turn it back off.

Sorry you feel the way you do Chris. No one likes change but sometimes it leaves us no choice.

Grumpy

With computers it's a case you have to change a lot and there really is no choice in the matter.

Don't trip on the grumpy old men Dave we'll get used to it, I'm really starting to like it.

Grumpy
10-06-2015, 10:52 PM
With computers it's a case you have to change a lot and there really is no choice in the matter.

Don't trip on the grumpy old men Dave we'll get used to it, I'm really starting to like it.

I'm not, just trying to help folks and some just don't want to listen and it gets frustrating.

4-2-7
10-06-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm not, just trying to help folks and some just don't want to listen and it gets frustrating.

Hell Dave their getting me fustrated at AK, I don't like when people are ingrateful. I meen really they need to let the site get going, fine tunning will take quit a while. Hell if they don't like it they can stay off of it for now instead of complaing.:(

donquixote99
10-07-2015, 01:08 AM
Some folks just love to have something to bitch about, and when a 'good' one comes along, they won't let go of it for nothin.'

HarmanKardon
10-07-2015, 02:15 AM
Let me put it this way.

Grumpy

Thank you for this helpful explanation.

HarmanKardon
10-07-2015, 09:24 AM
You sound just like me when I had to give up Windows XP. ;)

Wir Deutschen are sometimes a bit weepy... :rolleyes: :D

However, I made already my first steps to get in touch with the new Audiokarma... :)

icenine
10-07-2015, 09:34 AM
In the Navy when we hit a rough patch we would be told "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

I love the new software I hope it comes to PC but I want a "not like button" too;).

Pio1980
10-07-2015, 10:11 AM
"In the Navy, you can sail the seven seas----".
You're welcome for the earworm.

icenine
10-07-2015, 10:23 AM
"In the Navy, you can sail the seven seas----".
You're welcome for the earworm.

You are a retired guy right? A Marine? One of my ships used to taxi them around the world lol.

Pio1980
10-07-2015, 10:43 AM
You are a retired guy right? A Marine? One of my ships used to taxi them around the world lol.

Army, always flown here and there when postings changed. Missed out on the Far East follies, so no shipboard travel.
Tried enlisting Navy twice, but Army took me both times.

icenine
10-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Army, always flown here and there when postings changed. Missed out on the Far East follies, so no shipboard travel.
Tried enlisting Navy twice, but Army took me both times.

Well the Navy for most of my time was Persian Gulf centric as you know...so a Westpac was not really a Western Pacific exercise but really a Middle Eastern one.
I did spend a year in Okinawa and long enough in Subic Bay to get married to a Filipina.

The military can really be dreary but those few times you visit a place where beer is only $.25 a bottle can really take the edge off lol.

Pio1980
10-07-2015, 11:30 AM
My career spanned 1966 to 1989, just barely missed the reunification by months on my last tour in Germany.

icenine
10-07-2015, 11:47 AM
My career spanned 1966 to 1989, just barely missed the reunification by months on my last tour in Germany.

Sometimes I wished I would have joined the Army so I could have been stationed in Europe. The only time I was stationed near the Army was when I was in Al Taquaddum in Iraq. Most of the Army doctors I met seemed pretty cool.

HarmanKardon
10-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Sorry for disturbing your little chat...

That is interesting:

AK had about 210000 members recently. Now the number is 198000!

Boreas
10-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Sorry for disturbing your little chat...

That is interesting:

AK had about 210000 members recently. Now the number is 198000!

I doubt that 12,000 AKers "voted with their feet" on the new interface. My guess is that, as part of the upgrade, the membership rolls were purged of subscribers who'd had no activity for a certain period.

icenine
10-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Where else are we going? To that awful Tapeheads? No way!!!

glen65
10-07-2015, 08:30 PM

I was used to the other layout myself. However they did what was necessary to keep things running properly. You had to put in a fair amount of time to get the number of posts you have. Certainly wouldn't want all of that to end up getting lost.

glen65
10-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Where else are we going? To that awful Tapeheads? No way!!!

Pretty bad hey? I'll have to go look at that one sometime and see what you're talking about.

HarmanKardon
10-08-2015, 02:41 AM
I am so sad to report that I lost 33 friends last week. :(

They are followers now. :eek: :D

This is another thing that bothers me on the new AK. This fucking Facebook diction has become the new world language.

I consider to fill up my friend's list in this forum here ... :D

donquixote99
10-08-2015, 06:34 AM
'Followers' is Twitter-talk. 'Friends' is Facebook.

HarmanKardon
10-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Ahh... I see... I am just too old for this world... :eek:

:)

Grumpy
10-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Yes, we did clear out a "few" inactive members. Folks who had not been on the site for a very long time.

I do have plans to add a few new smileys in the future just trying to put out other fires that are more pressing.

Hope that everyone will give it a chance. Some of you may know that I do not to change well but as mentioned it was necessary. As mentioned on AK we are talking everyone's concerns and suggestions very seriously.

I will try to check back here more frequently but what time I have is mostly spent on AK for the time being, but feel free to use this thread as a suggestion box.

Chris, we do hope you have reconsidered and are giving it a chance.

Thanks
Dave

BlueStreak
10-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Yes, we did clear out a "few" inactive members. Folks who had not been on the site for a very long time.

I do have plans to add a few new smileys in the future just trying to put out other fires that are more pressing.

Hope that everyone will give it a chance. Some of you may know that I do not to change well but as mentioned it was necessary. As mentioned on AK we are talking everyone's concerns and suggestions very seriously.

I will try to check back here more frequently but what time I have is mostly spent on AK for the time being, but feel free to use this thread as a suggestion box.

Chris, we do hope you have reconsidered and are giving it a chance.

Thanks
Dave

Grumpy,

I like the new AK layout. It's just taking me a while to figure it all out and get used to it. Something about old dogs and new tricks. Anyhow, I've re-subscribed for two years, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to learn.

Thanks for all you do.

Dave

HarmanKardon
10-14-2015, 09:50 AM
Dave, Sir, due to the language barrier anything has been even more difficult for me. There are a lot AK'ers who are ready to help, but sometimes their explanations of certain technical issues are difficult to understand.

Today I learned how to post (full size) pictures, which is a success for me. And so I will get used to the new AK in the next weeks more and more, I am sure about that.

I am ca. N° 25 in the Members List (22614 posts). But the "Members Hall Of Fame" ;) is listing just the first 20. That's a pity. :D But when I'm keeping on being such a busy poster like in the last years I will probably enter the list in early Spring... :cool:

I think that you and your fellow "warriors" did a very good job until now and I would like to express my deep respect and gratitude for keeping the site going successfully...

Christoph

68custom
10-14-2015, 10:25 AM
I like the new format and continue to use more of it's features. plus I noticed things get posted much faster. thanks!

HarmanKardon
10-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Just one more thing, Dave. There are two little details I miss very very much - above on the right: the location and the post count. It would be SO great, if we could get them back...

Boreas
10-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Just one more thing, Dave. There are two little details I miss very very much - above on the right: the location and the post count. It would be SO great, if we could get them back...

The post number is there, Chris. It's at the lower right, next to the "Like", "+Quote" and "Reply" buttons.

Most of what was there before is still there. It's just not always in the same place or doesn't work in quite the same way. I'm still learning myself but, little by little, I'm getting used to it.

HarmanKardon
10-14-2015, 12:39 PM
John, as far as I understand the point - the post count you are refering to is the post count of the thread, but it is the post count of the members that I'm missing.

I miss in my profile the list of the threads that I started, but it's loss is actually no biggie.

Grumpy
10-14-2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words sir. The post count is still there. Just click on your name and there it is :)

Dave

Boreas
10-14-2015, 12:50 PM
John, as far as I understand the point - the post count you are refering to is the post count of the thread, but it is the post count of the members that I'm missing.

I miss in my profile the list of the threads that I started, but it's loss is actually no biggie.

Oh! That's there too. It's shown in the little pop-up that appears when you click on a member's avatar.

HarmanKardon
10-14-2015, 01:03 PM
I know that - but I wish the post count would be displayed permanently, without using the cursor clicking on the avatar.

icenine
10-14-2015, 01:27 PM
I know that - but I wish the post count would be displayed permanently, without using the cursor clicking on the avatar.

Actually post counts are dangerous...it could be 10,000 posts of drivel.
I noticed that a lot lol.;)

HarmanKardon
10-15-2015, 02:12 AM
I made my huge post count mostly in the "General Off Topic Forum", and I confess that a lot of my posts are what I would like to express "Easy Entertainment". But the people like me and they start running Amuk when I do not post for more than about a week. ;)

I am a bit like Sandy G. - somebody started a thread recently, because he did not post for about a week. But Sandy is a class of his own, as everybody knows. :cool:

However - now it's time to stop blethering... :D

Twodogs
05-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Where has sandy been, I ain't seen him in awhile?

Boreas
05-16-2016, 06:07 PM
You don't suppose they got him too?

Grumpy
05-17-2016, 02:45 AM
We locked him away in a corner till he promised to be good again.

JJIII
05-17-2016, 05:05 AM
We locked him away in a corner till he promised to be good again.

Good luck with that! :D

HarmanKardon
05-17-2016, 08:33 AM
"Repairs are done. Indexing the site now. Hope to be back this afternoon."

donquixote99
05-17-2016, 08:36 AM
Progress! This is encouraging.

icenine
12-30-2022, 02:32 PM
Is something going on with the AK servers?
Seems weird over there couldn't post a reply to the thread.

Pio1980
12-30-2022, 02:55 PM

Sore topic with mods, he got himself banned for rage posting/messaging after attempts to support him failed.
Please don't bring it up again.

init4fun
12-30-2022, 03:22 PM
Is something going on with the AK servers?
Seems weird over there couldn't post a reply to the thread.

Good, it's not just me, right now AK appears to be having issues......;)

init4fun
12-30-2022, 03:27 PM

Sore topic with mods, he got himself banned for rage posting/messaging after attempts to support him failed.
Please don't bring it up again.

Hi Pio, Twodogs posted that message 5/16/2016, so hopefully it won't get brought up again ;)

Pio1980
12-30-2022, 05:09 PM
Whoops!
Presently, AK up but still wonky.

bobabode
01-01-2023, 03:29 PM
AK is back up again. :D

Pio1980
01-01-2023, 10:17 PM
Seems to be working normally.