PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Air Force Strike ISIS Convoy

Boreas
10-11-2015, 10:26 PM
... in which several top commanders are killed and Abu Bakr al Baghdadi is believed to have been wounded.

https://www.rt.com/news/318291-iraq-air-force-isis/

The report was issued by the Baghdad Information Center, a joint intelligence sharing center formed by the governments of Iraq, Iran, Syria and Russia. Though the report doesn't say so, it's more or less a given that the Baghdad Information Center developed the intelligence which led to the strike.

If this report proves substantive, it's a black eye for the US whose efforts against ISIS have been mixed at best and whose interaction with the Iraqi military of late has been highly problematic. Russian successes, if they continue, are almost certain to result in the US being relegated to a marginal role in this critically important effort.

donquixote99
10-11-2015, 10:34 PM
The last sentence reveals a propaganda purpose that must lessen one's confidence in the accuracy of the report as a whole.

Boreas
10-11-2015, 10:57 PM
The last sentence reveals a propaganda purpose that must lessen one's confidence in the accuracy of the report as a whole.

This?

Last June, the terrorist organization proclaimed itself to be a worldwide caliphate, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi began to be referred to as caliph by his followers.

I don't see it at all.

Boreas
10-11-2015, 11:02 PM
And, if you don't like their propaganda, try our propaganda.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2015/10/11/Iraqis-claim-to-have-hit-ISIS-chief-Baghdadi-s-convoy-in-air-raid.html

donquixote99
10-11-2015, 11:04 PM
My mistake, I took your comments to be quotes from rt. You of course are not a propaganda outlet. My apologies.

My hope, actually, would be that we get relegated out of the whole thing.

Boreas
10-11-2015, 11:21 PM
My mistake, I took your comments to be quotes from rt. You of course are not a propaganda outlet. My apologies.

Nope. Save for the link, all words are mine, taken from the resume I've sent to Novosty.

My pacifism urges me toward the same hope but Daesh has to be stopped and, to have any hope of stopping them, they have to be destroyed. The US is doing a terrible job, not least because our strategy revolves around somehow taking out ISIS and Assad simultaneously, meanwhile ignoring al Nusra and other Islamist terrorists (except for the ones we're arming and training). And all the while, we're refusing to help the Kurds and the Shia militias who have proven themselves to be the most capable ground forced arrayed against Daesh.

Honestly, we'd be better off joining the coalition with Russia, Syria, Iran and Iraq. It would be much more effective than the four or five separated and uncoordinated efforts currently under way.

BlueStreak
10-12-2015, 08:37 AM

Mine too. I am sick and tired of other countries expecting us to fight these battles for them. And I don't give two shits in a bucket about my countries military "Greatness" abroad, either. It's way past time for the United States to stop playing world cop and stick to guarding our own borders. So we're number two or three.........I've never been a competition junkie, I don't care.

donquixote99
10-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Nope. Save for the link, all words are mine, taken from the resume I've sent to Novosty.

My pacifism urges me toward the same hope but Daesh has to be stopped and, to have any hope of stopping them, they have to be destroyed. The US is doing a terrible job, not least because our strategy revolves around somehow taking out ISIS and Assad simultaneously, meanwhile ignoring al Nusra and other Islamist terrorists (except for the ones we're arming and training). And all the while, we're refusing to help the Kurds and the Shia militias who have proven themselves to be the most capable ground forced arrayed against Daesh.

Honestly, we'd be better off joining the coalition with Russia, Syria, Iran and Iraq. It would be much more effective than the four or five separated and uncoordinated efforts currently under way.

First thing i said when the Russian air strikes started is we needed to ally-up with them, exchange liaisons on the operational level, cooperate closely. That may not fit the Russian agenda, however....

Boreas
10-12-2015, 10:16 AM
First thing i said when the Russian air strikes started is we needed to ally-up with them, exchange liaisons on the operational level, cooperate closely. That may not fit the Russian agenda, however....

Perhaps not but Putin has suggested it.

donquixote99
10-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Such suggestions should be received favorably, and built into the close cooperation I was speaking of.

BlueStreak
10-12-2015, 04:10 PM

Such suggestions should be received favorably, and built into the close cooperation I was speaking of.

Yeah, that's what we should be doing. But, we won't.