PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Flag May Be The Next To Go

Boreas
10-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Ole Miss has already removed the flag.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ole-miss-removes-mississippi-flag-confederate-emblem-34734474

donquixote99
10-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Two ways this can go--they can change the flag statewide, or they can pass a law requiring the University of Mississippi to fly it.

Depends on whether what 'everyone knows about Mississippi' is still true or not.

BlueStreak
10-26-2015, 12:01 PM
Oh, Boy. Here come the angry "Rebel" crybabies again...........

Honestly, I'm loving this. It's a hundred and fifty years late, but it's finally coming around. Keep wearing them down until they're done. We need to start teaching kids in schools that the Confederate leaders were traitors and evil men who, unfortunately, escaped justice. They should have been hung on the Whitehouse lawn.

Boreas
10-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Oh, Boy. Here come the angry "Rebel" crybabies again...........

Honestly, I'm loving this. It's a hundred and fifty years late, but it's finally coming around. Keep wearing them down until they're done. We need to start teaching kids in schools that the Confederate leaders were traitors and evil men who, unfortunately, escaped justice. They should have been hung on the Whitehouse lawn.

Well, in a way it is but in a very important way it isn't. It's only around 50 years old. All these Southern state flags featuring the Confederate battle flag and the ones that feature the "Stars & Bars" or other Confederate iconography were adopted during the Civil Rights Era as a great big "fuck you" to all them "Yankees and Nigras". In that sense, it's even more a symbol of hate than it was in the 1860s.

BlueStreak
10-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Well, in a way it is but in a very important way it isn't. It's only around 50 years old. All these Southern state flags featuring the Confederate battle flag and the ones that feature the "Stars & Bars" or other Confederate iconography were adopted during the Civil Rights Era as a great big "fuck you" to all them "Yankees and Nigras". In that sense, it's even more a symbol of hate than it was in the 1860s.

True dat.

Pio1980
10-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Check wiki for history of display, this one os,somewhat disturbing being withdrawn in 1906 and reestablished in 2001 if the article is correct.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Boreas
10-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Check wiki for history of display, this one os,somewhat disturbing being withdrawn in 1906 and reestablished in 2001 if the article is correct.

It looks like the present flag was adopted in 1894. The law that authorized the current flag was accidentally repealed in 1906 when Mississippi threw out all existing laws and then re-enacted all the ones they liked. The flag fell through the cracks but continued to fly as Mississippi's only flag.

Then, in 2001, the state conducted a referendum to vote on either adopting a new design or reauthorizing the 1894 design. The new design failed to gain a majority.

So, the current flag was adopted 30 years after the Civil War ended and has been the only flag that Mississippi has flown since. It replaced the flag, known as the Magnolia Flag that was adopted at the beginning of the Civil War. This was Mississippi's first official flag and was adopted at a time when their allegiance was to the Confederacy. In turn, the Magnolia Flag replaced the unofficial "Bonnie Blue Flag" which was created to commemorate Mississippi's secession from the Union, though it was never officially recognized.

That means, in all its history, Mississippi has never had a flag which wasn't linked to the Confederacy and to its rebellion against the United States.

bobabode
10-26-2015, 07:22 PM
The state flag went bye-bye at Ol' Miss today. :eek:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/26/3716091/ole-miss-will-no-longer-fly-flag-with-confederate-symbol/

Boreas
10-26-2015, 07:24 PM
The state flag went bye-bye at Ol' Miss today. :eek:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/26/3716091/ole-miss-will-no-longer-fly-flag-with-confederate-symbol/

See post #1. :D

bobabode
10-26-2015, 07:36 PM
See post #1. :D

Time to take a chainsaw to them Magnolia trees. ;)

Pio1980
10-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Time to take a chainsaw to them Magnolia trees. ;)

Ever mowed Magnolia leaves? Nature's Kevlar.

Pio1980
10-26-2015, 08:29 PM
My SO is from Mississippi, his dad taught at Ole Miss and we have the Confederate stuff from his office in storage where it belongs.