PDA

View Full Version : What Happened at the University of Missouri?

Tom Joad
11-12-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm surprised no one has started a thread on this yet.

Black Power!*

*Black Football Player Power that is.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/11/09/timeline_of_u_of_missouri_protests_and_president_r esignation.html

On Monday, the University of Missouri system president Tim Wolfe resigned amid student protests against his handling of racial incidents on campus. “My decision to resign comes out of love, not hate,” Wolfe said. "Please, please use this resignation to heal and start talking again.”

Wolfe’s decision comes during a tense time at the University of Missouri’s Columbia campus. On November 2, MU graduate student Jonathan Butler announced his decision to go on a hunger strike until Wolfe took his concerns, as well as the concerns of activist group Concerned Student 1950, seriously.

"Students are not able to achieve their full academic potential because of the inequalities and obstacles they face," Butler wrote. "In each of these scenarios, Mr. Wolfe had ample opportunity to create policies and reform that could shift the culture of Mizzou in a positive direction but in each scenario he failed to do so." Students camped out on MU’s quad to show solidarity with Butler, but the conflict came to a head when University of Missouri football players announced they would boycott games until Wolfe stepped down, which made national news.

continued (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/11/09/timeline_of_u_of_missouri_protests_and_president_r esignation.html)

Rajoo
11-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Consequences of social media has become detrimental to education in my opinion. Students are now ruling the campuses and in the case of Missouri, power of money; threat of boycott by their football team of this weekends game with BYU, which was to contribute $1Million to their coffers. Once again money talks, BS walks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/12/grow-up-tweets-legendary-mizzou-football-star-to-students-who-hounded-hero-professor/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_mizzou-648am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Pio1980
11-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Is it 1954 at Missou? WTF?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Zeke
11-12-2015, 02:00 PM
It's tail wagging the dog BS and, right now, you can't give tickets away to the game in KC.

bobabode
11-12-2015, 05:44 PM
T'Rump - Making friends where ever he goes. :rolleyes:
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/11/12/3721745/donald-trump-mizzou-student-protest-disgusting/

finnbow
11-12-2015, 06:42 PM
It's a bunch of oversensitive people reacting to provocative assholes. They're likely to meet provocative assholes after graduation as well. Such is life.

bobabode
11-12-2015, 06:59 PM
It's spreading. :)
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-claremont-marches-20151112-story.html

finnbow
11-12-2015, 07:34 PM
It's spreading. :)
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-claremont-marches-20151112-story.html

What a bunch of bullshit. A university President quits because one Latina student felt uncomfortable. WTF???

bobabode
11-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Lot's of grumpy and pissed off college students out there. Can't say I blame them considering the cost of higher edumacation. ;)

donquixote99
11-12-2015, 07:48 PM
It was a Dean, not a President.

This all must be handled with finesse. Giving the students either too much or too little risks fueling out and out unrest. And that would fuel reaction, with popular disgust boosting the support for the Demagogic Republicans.

Ike Bana
11-13-2015, 10:23 AM
Too bad nobody gets all this outraged about the athletes and other big men on campus getting away with roofie and rape.

Boreas
11-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Too bad nobody gets all this outraged about the athletes and other big men on campus getting away with roofie and rape.

Yes it is but do you think that overt racism on campus should be ignored until colleges address rape? And are "athletes and other big men on campus" the only students raping anyone?

Or did you have a point at all?

Pio1980
11-13-2015, 11:17 AM
That there is overt tolerated racism on college campuses nowadays is appaling, that was the jist of my previous comment.
Yet, I'm disappointed it's here being taken as whining of the targeted demographic.
WTF??

Ike Bana
11-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Yes it is but do you think that overt racism on campus should be ignored until colleges address rape? And are "athletes and other big men on campus" the only students raping anyone?

Or did you have a point at all?

Yep...I'm more concerned with rape than hurt feelings..jerkoff.

Boreas
11-13-2015, 11:57 AM
Yep...

"Yep" as in racism should be ignored while rape exists?

barbara
11-13-2015, 12:21 PM
"Yep" as in racism should be ignored while rape exists?

We should tolerate neither one.

Boreas
11-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Well, of course but Ike seems to be saying that we're wasting our time getting all bent out of shape over racism when thee are other more important problems to deal with.

Pio1980
11-13-2015, 01:04 PM

I didn't know it was either/or.

Tom Joad
11-13-2015, 01:26 PM
I really thought racism was fast becoming a thing of the past before I got the internet. But then I found out differently. In cyberspace where people have at least a perception of anonymity and feel like they can let it all hang out, I have found that racism abounds.

Just read some of the comments on yahoo news about stories like this. :eek:

Ike Bana
11-13-2015, 01:36 PM

Just doesn't seem to me there's anywhere near enough outrage about the great American university roofies and rapes tradition, compared with other outrage.

Pio1980
11-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Just doesn't seem to me there's anywhere near enough outrage about the great American university roofies and rapes tradition, compared with other outrage.

You are of course correct, it was the same in the military and anywhere else where the penis bearers make the rules.
Question is, how to effectively deal with as unacceptable, and grounds for dismissal if not prosecution.
Same for racism.

Ike Bana
11-13-2015, 04:00 PM
You are of course correct, it was the same in the military and anywhere else where the penis bearers make the rules.
Question is, how to effectively deal with as unacceptable, and grounds for dismissal if not prosecution.
Same for racism.

Thank you, kindly. My sentiments exactly, and regarding the military as well, where in my experience in the Corps, the dickheadedness is even worse than on college campuses. I'm still infuriated by the state of Nebraska letting Christian Peter virtually walk away from three rapes and a bar room sexual assault, and the U of Nebraska's punishment of a suspension for one exhibition game.

It was the only point in was trying to make, and one that it would seem to me would be intuitively obvious to even a casual observer like Boreas. Although John's skills in that area have become severely clouded by contrariness when it comes to me. Thus the petulant, what's your point, type comment.