PDA

View Full Version : Blankenship of Massey Energy Guilty

bobabode
12-03-2015, 06:42 PM
...of a single misdemeanor in coal mine explosion that killed 29 miners.
Slap on the wrist at best, imo. :(

'Executive convicted in West Virginia mine explosion that killed 29'
LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mine-explosion-trial-20151203-story.html

Boreas
12-03-2015, 06:52 PM
...of a single misdemeanor in coal mine explosion that killed 29 miners.
Slap on the wrist at best, imo. :(

'Executive convicted in West Virginia mine explosion that killed 29'
LA Times
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mine-explosion-trial-20151203-story.html

He wasn't even on trial for those deaths. He was on trial for lying to Massey's stockholders and the government about the safety violations that led to the deaths.

The lesson here is obvious. Kill all the workers you want to in pursuit of increased profits but don't you dare lie to Wall Street!

merrylander
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
He wasn't even on trial for those deaths. He was on trial for lying to Massey's stockholders and the government about the safety violations that led to the deaths.

The lesson here is obvious. Kill all the workers you want to in pursuit if increased profits but don't you dare lie to Wall Street!

Don't you yet realize that corporations run this country? Blankenship is as guilty of the deaths of those 29 miners as if he stood them against a wall and shot them. Just as Monsanto is as guilty of my Florence's death as if they had put a gun to her head. It was well known that at The Mound Monsanto ran one of the dirtiest nuclear labs in the country. Profit before employee safety. OSHA did not establish best practices until 1971 before that it was left to the people running the labs. And even after those people still did it wrong, Karen Silkwood did not die until 1974 - then they shut down the lab.

BlueStreak
12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes, we are definitely too hard on these people. I think we should apologize to this poor man and give him a tax cut.................

Trump in '16!
Whoa! What was that?! I think I've been reading too many posts from right wing asshats! Better go outside and get some fresh air............

Boreas
12-05-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm wondering whether this verdict can be used as the basis for a wrongful death suit against Massey Energy or Blankenship personally or, better yet, both. That would be nice.

Would the families have to bring the suit or have they waived the right in order to get a check? If so, does anyone else have the standing to bring suit?

sheltiedave
12-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Just wait until the Republicans short circuit the EPA and OSHA. People forget what industry and big business was like prior to 1970.

merrylander
12-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Just wait until the Republicans short circuit the EPA and OSHA. People forget what industry and big business was like prior to 1970.

The strange part is that the Energy.Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Act was passed during Dubya's reign. OSHA unfortunately did not come up with Nuclear best practices until 1971 and she worked at Mound from 1958 to 1962.

finnbow
12-06-2015, 11:26 AM
The strange part is that the Energy.Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Act was passed during Dubya's reign. OSHA unfortunately did not come up with Nuclear best practices until 1971 and she worked at Mound from 1958 to 1962.

OSHA didn't even exist until 1971. Even after that, their jurisdiction and expertise doesn't extent to the control of radiation hazards. That belongs to the NRC in the public sector and DOE and the Defense Nuclear Facility Safety Board in the defense nuclear arena.

merrylander
12-06-2015, 12:34 PM
OSHA didn't even exist until 1971. Even after that, their jurisdiction and expertise doesn't extent to the control of radiation hazards. That belongs to the NRC in the public sector and DOE and the Defense Nuclear Facility Safety Board in the defense nuclear arena.

Regardless of who was allegedly in charge they did a lousy job, she got overdoses of radiation at least three times while working in the infamous Building T.