PDA

View Full Version : German Bundestag Votes Overwhelmingly to Join the Fight Against Daesh

Boreas
12-04-2015, 04:33 PM
In a vote of 445 to 145, the German parliament approved the use of their military against Daesh. They will not be used in a combat role but instead will perform support and reconnaissance missions.

finnbow
12-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Their participation, along with Britain's, is welcome, appreciated and mostly symbolic.

Boreas
12-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Their participation, along with Britain's, is welcome, appreciated and mostly symbolic.

Symbolism is important, even essential.

HarmanKardon
12-05-2015, 01:18 AM
We do not want to repeat the mistake we made when Lybia was the issue and Germany refused to participate. And I hope that some time the support of the German troops will be more than "symbolic".

We told the French people that we are standing shoulder to shoulder - and this also in military concerns, as far as possible.

BlueStreak
12-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Yeah, what is up with the French growing some stones and the Germans being so reluctant to fight?

HarmanKardon
12-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Item 87a of the Grundgesetz: The task of the Bundeswehr is only to defend and not to attack.

JJIII
12-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Item 87a of the Grundgesetz: The task of the Bundeswehr is only to defend and not to attack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_best_defense_is_a_good_offense

HarmanKardon
12-05-2015, 07:33 AM
You got that right, man... :)

finnbow
12-05-2015, 08:01 AM

Yeh, but Germany's NATO ally, France, was attacked. Germany's decision can therefore be defined as defensive in nature, as was their participation in Afghanistan.

HarmanKardon
12-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Yeh, but Germany's NATO ally, France, was attacked. Germany's decision can therefore be defined as defensive in nature, as was their participation in Afghanistan.

Former minister of defense, Peter Struck, once said that the "Bundeswehr has not just to defend Germany in Hindelang anymore, but also on the Hindukush".

Drafting of item 87a is from 1955 when the Bundeswehr was founded, so it is not appropriate anymore. Anyway - German war/military devices in foreign countries, after what happened in the 20th century, we still do not like that very much. But I think this sentiment is of minor importance.

Boreas
12-05-2015, 08:17 AM
Yeah, what is up with the French growing some stones and the Germans being so reluctant to fight?

Exactly, and the answer to Dave's other question is that the French have been fighting against al Qaeda in the Maghreb for some time now. They also participated significantly in both air and ground operations during the first Gulf War. Their supposed "lack of stones" is just American right wing pique stemming from France's wise decision not to participate in any of W's war crimes.

blustreakfan
12-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Yeah what is up with that?

Boreas
12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Yeah what is up with that?

Okay, this is getting weird.:)

Dondilion
12-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Exactly, and the answer to Dave's other question is that the French have been fighting against al Qaeda in the Magreb for some time now. They also participated significantly in both air and ground operations during the first Gulf War. Their supposed "lack of stones" is just American right wing pique stemming from France's wise decision not to participate in any of W's war crimes.

They also put boots on the ground in Mali against invading radical Muslims.

Boreas
12-08-2015, 11:04 AM
They also put boots on the ground in Mali against invading radical Muslims.

Not "also". My reference to the French engaging al Qaeda in the Maghreb refers to their presence in Mali.

Dondilion
12-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Not "also". My reference to the French engaging al Qaeda in the Maghreb refers to their presence in Mali.

I might be wrong but I do not believe Mali is part of Maghreb.

Boreas
12-08-2015, 12:42 PM
I might be wrong but I do not believe Mali is part of Maghreb.

It isn't but al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb is in Mali and the French are engaging them there.

Rather than merely disagree without offering a counter-argument or contradictory information, you could educate yourself a bit.

Here's a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda_in_the_Islamic_Maghreb

and a map.

http://1389blog.com/pix/AQ-in-Sahel.jpg

blustreakfan
12-09-2015, 08:40 AM
Okay, this is getting weird.:)

It's only as weird as you choose to make it. :)