PDA

View Full Version : Le Pen's Far Right National Front Loses

bobabode
12-13-2015, 08:18 PM
"CALAIS, France — French voters turned out in droves Sunday to prevent a surging anti-establishment, anti-immigration party from capturing regional office, a week after the once-fringe group shocked many by leading the nationwide vote in the first round of elections." WaPo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/win-or-lose-far-rights-tough-rhetoric-against-immigrants-is-rocking-france/2015/12/13/4d751e74-9dc1-11e5-9ad2-568d814bbf3b_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_france-elex-1135am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

Good. I hope we're half as intelligent as the French come November.

BlueStreak
12-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Me too. But, I have my doubts...........

HarmanKardon
12-14-2015, 02:54 AM
Jean - Marie, Marine, Marion... please do me a favour: GO TO HELL!

In this fucking family right-wing fanatism seems to be hereditary.

Tom Joad
12-14-2015, 09:47 AM
With most votes counted, the National Front had won about 28 percent of the vote, while the So************************ts drew 29 percent and the center-right Republicans captured 41 percent.

I wonder what the French version of a "center right Republican" is?

My guess is somewhere to the left of Bernie Sanders.

bobabode
12-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Jean - Marie, Marine, Marion... please do me a favour: GO TO HELL!

In this fucking family right-wing fanatism seems to be hereditary.

The Le Pens are known as the T'Rumps in Europe. ;)

mpholland
12-14-2015, 01:59 PM
I've always wondered what it would take here to overcome voter apathy. We've been through some pretty rough shit and it hasn't happened yet.

Boreas
12-14-2015, 02:02 PM
I've always wondered what it would take here to overcome voter apathy. We've been through some pretty rough shit and it hasn't happened yet.

A threat, real or imagined, and a charismatic leader like FDR......

...... or Hitler.

Boreas
12-14-2015, 02:14 PM
By the way, the only reason that le Front Nationale got shut out in round 2 is that the So(ialiststs withdrew their candidates from regions where the FN was expected to win and urged their followers to vote for Sarkozy's more centrist Republicains.

So, it was a stunt. It worked but it was still a stunt and there's no reason to expect that it'll work again.